Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

mcmagic posted:

I bet you live near amazon.com.

No, I live in the UK and that wouldn't help for today/tomorrow/Saturday either way.

She won't eat minced up kitten meat, she won't eat biscuits, she will lick gravy made from chicken baby food off her nose and paws.

This is stressful for her, she's obviously not weaned and I have no idea what to do at just gone 7PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Kerfuffle posted:

Wash and dry any and every possible fabric thing that they've been in contact with. Put the stuff in a plastic bag before taking to the washer. This is to kill any eggs and adults that happen to be there, and prevent them from dropping off somewhere.

Pick up some indoor Diatomaceous Earth (I believe this works better than most products out there, is cheap, and very pet safe), sprinkle down around a decent amount outside the door and vacuum thoroughly. Empty the vacuum and throw contents out immediately after. Then resprinkle DE, leave it, and vacuum again tomorrow.

That should be enough to keep a cap on the fleas and prevent them from spreading from the bathroom. Hopefully most will die from the flea treatment.

The bathroom just do a super through cleaning with a water and bleach mixture once you're able to relocate the kittens.

I flea sprayed a new blanket for them, hosed out their plastic basket, let the spray air out for an hour, and set them down in that.
I then sprayed the rest of the house with them shut in the bathroom (it's a good spray, kills eggs), washed their blanket.

Dead fleas are dropping out all over the bathroom, and I'm seeing some fleeing the scene off the kittens now and then. I did actually bath them (no chemicals) and combed out a lot.

I'm so freaking clueless about this, I wish I could make one of those, "Hey great news guys, I found kittens!" topics but gently caress me this is worrisome.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

the jizz taxi posted:

Oh hey, this is Odin.

Today I came home and caught him peeing right outside his litterbox. This has happened before (though it's been over 1.5 years since he did that). I figured his litterbox was dirty (my flatmate and I have been rarely home in the past two weeks). As I started cleaning it, he followed me to the kitchen and tried to pee on a plastic bag that was full of scooped-out litter that had been cleaned out only two days back but hadn't been put away with the trash yet.

I've now fully cleaned and washed his litterbox, refilled it and thoroughly cleaned the area around the box. The reason I'm somewhat apprehensive is because it's just small puddles of piss he's leaving.

About a year ago he had to stay at the vet for three days for a kidney problem that is fairly typical of big male cats (he's neutered), and he's been getting proper food for cats with that condition since. Could it have resurfaced, even with the right food, or am I just freaking out over what might be an attention deficit / temporary cleanliness problem?

I can't take him to the vet straightaway because my flatmate has the car and won't be back until 5am from work.

For the record, Odin is 5 years old and came from a half-feral litter. He's been my cat since he was about two weeks old, and very attached to humans in general, to the point that he will sometimes try to groom me or push his entire head against my chest or arm.

It totally can resurface even on the right food, do get him to the vet as soon as you can, as this absolutely sounds like painful urination.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Dogen posted:

It totally can resurface even on the right food, do get him to the vet as soon as you can, as this absolutely sounds like painful urination.

Thanks, I took no chances and called someone to help me get him to the vet. The vet was glad we brought him in early, because indeed he had a new case of dysfunctional kidneys.

He was very brave throughout, by the way. Without wanting to get all mushy, it was kind of touching when I had to reassure and hold him, that he kept really close to me and put his front paws on my shoulders as he was being examined :unsmith:

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Good news, tiny kitten accepted goats milk from a syringe. Off to the vets shortly to get her some real food and formula, hopefully a bottle. She is perkier today, rather than unconscious, so I'm happier.

I know you're not meant to syringe feed in case you drown the cat, but I am using an extremely sensitive syringe, and dropping onto her tongue from a small distance. The one time I flinched due to her sister launching up my leg, I fired milk across the sofa rather than into the kitten. I don't have to put it in her mouth, she sticks out her tongue to catch the droplets.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
My partner and I decided to adopt this wee girl today and both think she is completely gorgeous!

She's been in the flat for about 3 hours and has already explored and is now snoozing on the dining chair. The shelter knew next to nothing about her - she was a stray, and only in there for a few weeks. They think she is about two, but she is really quite small and skinny. She's been neutered recently (hence the bald patch) and has her microchip and jabs.

She seems to be settling in ok - she's explored, pooped in her litter tray, played with her feather toy, had some water and munchies, and happily comes over to us for chin scratches. She seems fine with being indoors - though she is totally freaked out by her own reflection in the mirror. Apart from that she looks like she is going to get on fine!

The only thing I am worried about at the moment is her swishy tail. I assume it's because she is a bit stressed, which is understandable - but when she swishes her back seems to twitch too. Is that normal?

We just need to think of a name for her! Maisie and Amber are current front runners but we are out of good ideas. All the cool names we talked about before going to the shelter were for male cats!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
One of my friends named her (female) cat milhouse. She calls her millie. Go with that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

the jizz taxi posted:

Thanks, I took no chances and called someone to help me get him to the vet. The vet was glad we brought him in early, because indeed he had a new case of dysfunctional kidneys.

He was very brave throughout, by the way. Without wanting to get all mushy, it was kind of touching when I had to reassure and hold him, that he kept really close to me and put his front paws on my shoulders as he was being examined :unsmith:

That sounds adorable :3:

Glad to hear you got him in quick, you probably saved him a lot of pain

Klams Jam posted:

The only thing I am worried about at the moment is her swishy tail. I assume it's because she is a bit stressed, which is understandable - but when she swishes her back seems to twitch too. Is that normal?

Cats are pretty variable about tail movements, I have found. All 3 of ours are different, one of them does a swish and twitch thing pretty much all the time, and another does a twitch thing when he's excited (eg expecting food, looking at birds).

She's gorgeous!

Dogen fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 13, 2012

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
OK I have a question about my stupid cat Hetty. She has what looked like a dirty spot on her little white chin - black muck in the fur but the skin looked OK. It was there for a while so we cleaned it off with a face wipe about a week ago, but now her chin looks a bit red and sore. Any ideas?

Bonus pic:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

gender illusionist posted:

OK I have a question about my stupid cat Hetty. She has what looked like a dirty spot on her little white chin - black muck in the fur but the skin looked OK. It was there for a while so we cleaned it off with a face wipe about a week ago, but now her chin looks a bit red and sore. Any ideas?

Bonus pic:

Honestly, could have been a spot of cat acne, especially given the location.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I want a tortie now!

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Serella posted:

Honestly, could have been a spot of cat acne, especially given the location.
Especially if you're using plastic food/water bowls. Switch to stainless steel or ceramic.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hopefully I'm in the right thread, here. I have some questions about introducing a second cat into the household.

We just brought home a second rescue (resident cat is an adult male. New cat is adult female). They seem to be adjusting to each other slowly.

But, the new cat has hissed at the other cat a few times. No swatting, just a bit of hissing. The resident cat doesn't hiss back, he just runs off. Should I be spraying the new cat with water every time she does that? Should I separate them every time it happens? What's the best way to intervene in a cat fight (if that happens)? Help me survive two-cat-ownership! :sympathy:

I've also noticed that the new cat has some food aggression problems- with food that's not even in his bowl! She growled and hissed at the resident cat while he was trying to eat and pretty much tried to chase him off from his own food bowl. Any creative solutions for remedying food aggression problems? Again, the resident cat is totally mellowed out, but the new cat (a former stray, I've been told) isn't being very nice to the resident cat. :ohdear:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 14, 2012

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
As I understand things hissing is just part of how cats work things out. You sort of have to let them handle it. You will know if they are fighting in earnest for sure.

Not sure what to do about the food issue though.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'd just like to throw out there that my fiancee's cat has absolutely no survival instinct whatsoever. Everything aside, given a choice, he will pig out on breads and grains - foods which have absolutely no nutritional value for him.

God, so stupid. (Goes back to eating Cheetos)

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

melon cat posted:

Hopefully I'm in the right thread, here. I have some questions about introducing a second cat into the household.

We just brought home a second rescue (resident cat is an adult male. New cat is adult female). They seem to be adjusting to each other slowly.

But, the new cat has hissed at the other cat a few times. No swatting, just a bit of hissing. The resident cat doesn't hiss back, he just runs off. Should I be spraying the new cat with water every time she does that? Should I separate them every time it happens? What's the best way to intervene in a cat fight (if that happens)? Help me survive two-cat-ownership! :sympathy:

I've also noticed that the new cat has some food aggression problems- with food that's not even in his bowl! She growled and hissed at the resident cat while he was trying to eat and pretty much tried to chase him off from his own food bowl. Any creative solutions for remedying food aggression problems? Again, the resident cat is totally mellowed out, but the new cat (a former stray, I've been told) isn't being very nice to the resident cat. :ohdear:
Unless there is blood, just let them work it out. Some fur flying, hissing, swatting, and squawking is normal. If there is blood, usually a spritz of water will do the trick, then restart introductions from scratch. I wouldn't expect there to be blood though as resident cat seems to be feeling that discretion is the better part of valor.

Feed them separately. If necessary, lock them in separate rooms while meals are being eaten. Mine, it's sufficient to put the timid cat on the bar to eat breakfast because greedy jerk cat is dumber than a box of rocks and doesn't realize that there is food on the bar too. In any case, if you're still separating them when you are out of the house, you can leave the food out then.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Sorry if this is a sad topic.

My girlfriend lets my cat onto the balcony at my apartment. A few times the cat has caught a bird that landed on the railing. I rush outside as fast as I can to make her let it go, and twice it just flew away looking a little ruffled. Today she caught one that barely made the fall to the ground and when I approached it to see if it was okay it barely jumped a foot or two away.

The bird looked pretty hosed up. It was bleeding around an eye socket, couldn't use one of its wings, and was very roughed up. I got a pair of latex gloves and wringed its neck because I didn't want it to die a slow death because of my dumb cat. I hate hurting animals but I felt like it was the right thing to do.

Now I feel bad, thinking, "well what if it would have gotten better?". Its mate is out there chirping madly wondering what the hell happened to his friend. It was trying to console his buddy as he was down there injured before I got there with the gloves. It's all very sad.

I guess my question is, what's the humane thing to do here? Or birds likely to recover from this and I should just leave them alone? Are are they pretty much cat meat the second they're caught?

hayden. fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 15, 2012

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I appreciate the advice on introducing the two cats. I'll let you all know how it goes! :)

hayden. posted:

I guess my question is, what's the humane thing to do here? Or birds likely to recover from this and I should just leave them alone? Are are they pretty much cat meat the second they're caught?
It's tough to tell if the bird would've recovered, but from the way you described it all it sounded pretty roughed up. But I'll be honest- you have no reason to feel bad about what you did. I don't think its mate would've felt any better watching the other bird die slowly. There's something about birds that make cats think "Snack! SNACK!", so as sad as it is, these things happen. :sympathy:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

hayden. posted:

Sorry if this is a sad topic.

My girlfriend lets my cat onto the balcony at my apartment. A few times the cat has caught a bird that landed on the railing. I rush outside as fast as I can to make her let it go, and twice it just flew away looking a little ruffled. Today she caught one that barely made the fall to the ground and when I approached it to see if it was okay it barely jumped a foot or two away.

The bird looked pretty hosed up. It was bleeding around an eye socket, couldn't use one of its wings, and was very roughed up. I got a pair of latex gloves and wringed its neck because I didn't want it to die a slow death because of my dumb cat. I hate hurting animals but I felt like it was the right thing to do.

Now I feel bad, thinking, "well what if it would have gotten better?". Its mate is out there chirping madly wondering what the hell happened to his friend. It was trying to console his buddy as he was down there injured before I got there with the gloves. It's all very sad.

Cat saliva and cat scratches is pretty deadly to birds, so it's likely he would just have taken longer to die if you hadn't done the humane thing. It's a tough choice, but I think you did good in a sad situation.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hayden. posted:

My girlfriend lets my cat onto the balcony at my apartment.
Am I stupid for being scared of letting a cat on a balcony?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Josh Lyman posted:

Nope.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Took my kitty to the vet because his chin has been balding a bit and looking red. They took a sample from it to see if it was ticks etc. they found spiral cells instead :(

They've put him on antibiotics while waiting for the results to come back to see if it is an infection, they've said to continue giving them to see if that solves the issue. Otherwise :cry: the will take a biopsy to get a bit more information on it.

:ohdear:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

It's a second story balcony with a million ways for them to safely jump down (like a 5 foot drop at max) if they wanted, but they never have.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Hey peeps, my boyfriend and I have adopted two adult cats recently from some friends who are moving away. Meet Hector:

And Pedro:

The cats are about 5 years old and have settled in well to their new home - we've had no toilet or eating problems and they seem to love roaming around and exploring. Anyway, I have a couple of quick questions!

They have always been able to walk around on kitchen countertops in their old home, and they have done it quite a lot here. Their litterbox and food is in the big open-plan kitchen/diner that we have, and that is where we keep them overnight so they don't bother us. What are the chances of being able to train them out of walking on countertops, or stop them doing it somehow? Is it just a matter of trying out all the tricks (sticky tape, pans of water, those sprays that smell bad to them etc.) or are we unlikely to stop this behaviour since they've done it all their lives? They are both particularly partial to drinking water out of taps and will leap up whenever we run one.

Also, they came with a bunch of wood based pellet litter which they are very used to. Their old owners said that of all the different litters they tried, this was the only one acceptable to Pedro, the fussy cat of the two :) Is there likely to be a drama if we try and change brands (their usual brand isn't our nearest supermarket), or just type?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

For two cats you'd ideally have three cat boxes. You can try Pedro's litter in one and your preferred in the other two and see if he uses them.

It varies a lot from cat to cat on how well you can keep them off stuff. I'd suggest tape on the edges to keep them off and a spray bottle when you catch them personally. All you can do is try. My cats used to want to drink from taps too, but I bought them this and they don't do it anymore: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-S...+fountain+metal

Also just a quick tip, don't put the food/water close to the cat box.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 16, 2012

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks Hayden - the cats have always shared one box apparently and we've had no problems since they've been with us, but I'd always heard that they would need three. I guess we can try out a new litter in one box while keeping the other the same, see if they will use both.

Will we have to train them particularly to use another box? I'd imagine it would be best to have another litterbox in a different area of the house, but I'm wondering whether they will actually realise to use it?

The water fountain is an excellent idea too! I have a feeling our house may have more cat goodies than human furniture before too long :)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

In my experience cats are very flexible about where you put their boxes. Corners are usually best and in rooms where you/them usually spend time in but really just put it wherever and if they aren't using it, try a new location.

A cool trick I personally use is to put the catbox inside a cabinet and cut a hole in the side. It looks like regular furniture and no one has to stare at cat poop. Like this:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/CIMG0611_Small_.JPG except the hole in mine is much larger and there's no door.

I use only two cat boxes with two cats because gently caress having three in a one bedroom apartment. Just make sure to clean them often.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 16, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I got a Scat Mat and it worked quite well for counters.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

The tiny kitten I rescued that wasn't eating is now on weetabix and kitten formula. She gobbles it up and purrs like nothing on Earth.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose
A few weeks ago I was given a 7 week old male kitten, and its been hanging out in a spare bathroom. I've been having problems introducing him to my 10 year old (neutered male) cat. The funny thing is that the kitten keeps running at him because he wants to play with him, but my adult cat is absolutely terrified. :v: He will hiss and growl at him from afar (and will hiss while walking past the kitten's bathroom) and sprint off if the kitten comes near him. He hasn't attacked him except for the one time he ended up getting cornered.

I've been trying to gradually introduce the kitten to him, but nothing has really changed. Is there anyway to help the situation, or will my adult cat just have to deal with him eventually?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm trying to come up with reasons I shouldn't adopt this kitty (Bebe) from Shadow Cats:

She's apparently a big fan of lap-sitting and brushings. :3:

The main downsides I can come up with are that one of my friends would not be able to visit my apartment (he's rather allergic), cats will vomit and shed on everything I hold dear, and I'll have to be more vigilant about keeping my apartment de-cluttered. I don't have anything dangerous out (such as string, poisons, etc) or anything, I just have a tendency to put papers and such down on the nearest horizontal surface which would be an amazing cat-magnet. I would be interested in getting a dog in the future after moving into a house, so I'd need to ask and see if she's cool with dogs (that are cool with cats).

I work from home full time (at a standing desk which should minimize kitty lap pestiness), love cats, can have pets at my apartment, and can easily afford a kitty even if health issues come up. Cat sitters (either via friends or a service) wouldn't be a problem. The apartment is about 1000 sqft with a patio which I could install a cat door to if she proves that she isn't about to go jumping 25ft to the ground or try to sit on the narrow metal railing.

In short: uuuughhh I want to adopt that kitty so badly.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The only real downside to cat ownership is that it's a long-term (10-20 year) commitment and having to scoop their poop. Most cats never poop or pee outside their boxes, and vomit frequency depends a lot on the cat but it's not hard to clean up. You don't need a cat sitter (unless you're gone for over a day or two) and I probably wouldn't let a cat out on a balcony that high up. She will likely sit on your papers and other stuff you leave out, but it's not like she'll attack them and throw them to the floor.

Brush her often and keep cat fur off furniture and your friend will probably be okay.

Also get one of these:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FSFNVI...sl_4imqjmry9h_b

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

McOgre posted:

will my adult cat just have to deal with him eventually?

I had the opposite problem. A younger (about 7 month old) cat I adopted had (and still has) a major beef with our older and much larger adult cat. Big cat can't go near small cat without small cat throwing a fit. They fight and are loud and it sucks. We've tried everything but they still won't get along after 2 years together and probably never will. They aren't hurting each other, though, and fights are uncommon, so we just deal with it.

Check out the "Introducing a new cat to your other cats" in the OP.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 18, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hayden. posted:

The only real downside to cat ownership is that it's a long-term (10-20 year) commitment and having to scoop their poop. Most cats never poop or pee outside their boxes, and vomit frequency depends a lot on the cat but it's not hard to clean up. You don't need a cat sitter (unless you're gone for over a day or two) and I probably wouldn't let a cat out on a balcony that high up. She will likely sit on your papers and other stuff you leave out, but it's not like she'll attack them and throw them to the floor.

Brush her often and keep cat fur off furniture and your friend will probably be okay.

Also get one of these:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FSFNVI...sl_4imqjmry9h_b

I know all about the furminator. My friends have several (six!) cats and I bought them one as a gift. One of their long-haired cats loves it so much he will sometimes beg until you brush him with it.

I've cat-sat for them many times (they have to have a sitter come by daily because the cats all have conflicting food requirements) so I know that vomit isn't too much of a trouble and how clean (for the most part) cats are. I also know just how awesome a SSScat can be. Perhaps free-feed will be OK with her although I would rather do wet food as it is just better, so that would require somebody coming by to check at least once a day and t wouldn't be right to not give her some fun play time.

As for the commitment that's one area where I come out ahead. Because of my job being completely online I can live at any location as long as I can get cable or fiber internet. It is also a government job so I've got pretty good job security as long as I continue to meet and exceed my set expectations.

My friend is severely allergic. Once he fell asleep at a friend's house and their outdoor cat got inside and decided to give his face a good rub. He had to go to the ER. Oh well, his place is nicer than mine anyway.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I say go for it. Cats are cool and you know what you're getting into.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm in the search for a kitten to give my 3 year old cat some company. I'm wondering if I should take the new kitten to get tested for FIV and whatever else before introducing it to my cat.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

hayden. posted:

I had the opposite problem. A younger (about 7 month old) cat I adopted had (and still has) a major beef with our older and much larger adult cat. Big cat can't go near small cat without small cat throwing a fit. They fight and are loud and it sucks. We've tried everything but they still won't get along after 2 years together and probably never will. They aren't hurting each other, though, and fights are uncommon, so we just deal with it.

Check out the "Introducing a new cat to your other cats" in the OP.

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that I did read the OP, and that's what I've been following.

I'd be okay with it if one just hated the other, but I just don't like my adult cat being terrified and constantly running away from the kitten. :(

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

McOgre posted:

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that I did read the OP, and that's what I've been following.

I'd be okay with it if one just hated the other, but I just don't like my adult cat being terrified and constantly running away from the kitten. :(

Head the kitten off at the pass; distract him with playing and see if your older cat will settle nearby. Give the adult cat some safe kitten-free space that he can choose on his own - since your kitten is still tiny you could baby-gate a room or add a cat tree.

In all likelihood your older cat will chill out after another week or two of free-range kitten. If you're still sequestering the kitten and only doing supervised visits then it will take longer to reach that comfort level.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

Engineer Lenk posted:

Head the kitten off at the pass; distract him with playing and see if your older cat will settle nearby. Give the adult cat some safe kitten-free space that he can choose on his own - since your kitten is still tiny you could baby-gate a room or add a cat tree.

In all likelihood your older cat will chill out after another week or two of free-range kitten. If you're still sequestering the kitten and only doing supervised visits then it will take longer to reach that comfort level.

I'll see how it works out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm in the search for a kitten to give my 3 year old cat some company. I'm wondering if I should take the new kitten to get tested for FIV and whatever else before introducing it to my cat.

Most shelters do FIV testing on their animals, but take the new kitten to your own vet before introducing them to make sure he's totally clean. Don't let them interact until then. Worms, earmites, and respiratory viruses are all possibilities.

Not a super high chance mind, you, but the risk is there and there's no reason not to be safe about it. Especially since you'll want to take some time introducing the cats, and it's better if they can get used to eachother's scent first.