Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

one of us, one of us, one of us

Seriously, welcome, and glad you liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

My initial reaction was, naturally, "WTF ARE YOU THINKING ANNIE."

But upon reflection, I think this will yield good things.

It's been pointed out to me that Annie has smacked Coyote around before. Heck, he even enjoyed it.

I think this is Annie and Coyote testing of each other's boundaries. Each of them is seeing how far they can push the other. Sort of like a game of chicken, only instead of cars we have a Medium of limitless potential and a being of limitless prankster power. Sort of like Picard squaring off against Q, if Picard was a fire-haired girl instead of a bald Shakespearean actor.

Looking forward to Wednesday.

The contrast between this page and the current one is beautiful, and really highlights the character development that Annie and Ysengrin have undergone. I love it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Conot posted:

Trickster does not mean harmless! Loki, the trickster god of the Nordic pantheon, at various times took body parts from others in his jokes, including Odin's eye.

But this is also Gunnerkrigg Court, not Grimdark Deathmurder Comic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think anyone here thinks that Coyote will outright murder Annie, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect this may result in us seeing a different, more vengeful part of Coyote. After all, Gods aren't typically known for their restraint.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Fister Roboto posted:

You say that now, but just wait until Annie's death drives Kat to lead her robot army in a genocidal war on the forest.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Coyote freaks Annie out so bad, some latent power of hers awakens, surprising everyone. Then coyote calms immediately down because that was his plan all along.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

What a wonderful page.

Time for some non-standard avatar sizes!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Tell that to Jeanne and her elf boyfriend.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't think anyone here thinks that Coyote will outright murder Annie, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect this may result in us seeing a different, more vengeful part of Coyote. After all, Gods aren't typically known for their restraint.
My first thought was that Ysengrin might intervene to help her. That'd be an interesting counterpoint to their first appearance.

AE-35 Unit posted:

Welp, we had a good run, folks. Pack it up, pack it in.
Coyote came to win. Flick his nose, that's a sin.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

quote:

"Your posts are as boring and stupid as you are!"

quote:

"Ahhh! I absolutely did not expect thiiiiis!"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Conot posted:

Trickster does not mean harmless! Loki, the trickster god of the Nordic pantheon, at various times took body parts from others in his jokes, including Odin's eye.

A better example of Loki's dickish tricks is the story him tricking blind Hoor into killing his brother Baldr with a mistletoe dart just because mistletoe was the one thing Frigg hadn't received an oath to not harm Baldr from.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

Tell that to Jeanne and her elf boyfriend.

There's a world of difference between two minor characters getting offed in a flashback and what a lot of people are predicting in this thread happening to the protagonist.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Fister Roboto posted:

There's a world of difference between two minor characters getting offed in a flashback and what a lot of people are predicting in this thread happening to the protagonist.

What are they predicting happening Fister Roboto

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"Hey Kat, hold my beer and watch this!"

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
On the subject of the band around Antimony's arm, what happened to that anyway? Did that get... resolved and I just took my eye off the ball while it happened? Or what?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Snollygoster posted:

On the subject of the band around Antimony's arm, what happened to that anyway? Did that get... resolved and I just took my eye off the ball while it happened? Or what?

It disintegrated when she came back from the forest.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Yeah, I don't believe that Coyote is genuinely furious here. He obviously has a sinister side to him, and he's certainly very proud, but going "MY HONOR" and lashing out in response to playful defiance seems more like a Ysengrin thing. Killing Antimony or even seriously hurting her would put a stop to whatever role she has to play in the times to come, and I can't imagine Coyote being enough of a wet blanket to end her involvement over something like a flick of a nose.

This honestly just looks he and Antimony are messing with each other (and freaking out Ysengrin, who is perfect for this kind of thing). She sneaks up on Coyote, he turns into a cave and tries to eat her, he drags her out of class to make her tell him a story, she tells him to gently caress off, he pretends to freak out, and so on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wouldn't be surprised if the next page his crazy nutso Coyote and Annie staring each other down, and then Coyote laughing and being like JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER, FIRE HEAD GIRL, and then he tells some backstory about Coyote's interactions with Surma.

That's my prediction!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Saturday Mornings posted:

Yeah, I don't believe that Coyote is genuinely furious here. He obviously has a sinister side to him, and he's certainly very proud, but going "MY HONOR" and lashing out in response to playful defiance seems more like a Ysengrin thing. Killing Antimony or even seriously hurting her would put a stop to whatever role she has to play in the times to come, and I can't imagine Coyote being enough of a wet blanket to end her involvement over something like a flick of a nose.

This honestly just looks he and Antimony are messing with each other (and freaking out Ysengrin, who is perfect for this kind of thing). She sneaks up on Coyote, he turns into a cave and tries to eat her, he drags her out of class to make her tell him a story, she tells him to gently caress off, he pretends to freak out, and so on.
It's possible, but that doesn't seem like as credible of a story beat at this point. The chapter thus far's been dropping hints about Annie maybe getting too comfortable with the forest. They've already joked around and insulted Ysengrin, another joke doesn't really propel the narrative forward. Their relationship is definitely about to change, somehow.

Macaluso posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the next page his crazy nutso Coyote and Annie staring each other down, and then Coyote laughing and being like JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER, FIRE HEAD GIRL, and then he tells some backstory about Coyote's interactions with Surma.

That's my prediction!
Actually, you know what, that might happen.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm imagining a series of progressively more insane faces, like between The Monarch and Baron von Underbheit (which I cannot for the life of me find a clip of).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Given the chapter title, Coyote's going to spill the beans on something, and he can't do that and gnaw Annie's bones at the same time. My guess is that after some intimidation attempts, Annie will negotiate a Coyote story for information about the Court. Living-mural god-dog needs to learn some tit-for-tat.

Also is it just me or does Annie have a habit of making suicidally poor decisions in those woods

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Haledjian posted:

It's possible, but that doesn't seem like as credible of a story beat at this point. The chapter thus far's been dropping hints about Annie maybe getting too comfortable with the forest. They've already joked around and insulted Ysengrin, another joke doesn't really propel the narrative forward. Their relationship is definitely about to change, somehow.

it's also been about her being willfully defiant to all forms of authority. She'll be fine but coyote is going to scare the poo poo out her before he calms himself. As tricksters go Coyote is particularly nasty, he once killed his wife and carried her around in a sack over his shoulder because he thought he would look cool with a hunch back. When he was young the great plains were actually forested. All the animals got together for dinner and didn't invite him so he burned the entire forest down killing everyone inside as revenge.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Alternate theory!
Coyote isn't loving around and actually attacks Annie. Either Ysengrin or Eglamore intervenes and gets seriously wounded. Annie's hubris gets knocked down a notch, and realizes that even though she's in friendly terms with Coyote, he's still a dickweed selfish and sinister prankster god.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

feetnotes posted:

Coyote freaks Annie out so bad, some latent power of hers awakens, surprising everyone. Then coyote calms immediately down because that was and pretends this was his plan all along because it seems more interesting.

Being whimsical and capricious cuts both ways really.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Alternate theory!
Coyote isn't loving around and actually attacks Annie. Either Ysengrin or Eglamore intervenes and gets seriously wounded. Annie's hubris gets knocked down a notch, and realizes that even though she's in friendly terms with Coyote, he's still a dickweed selfish and sinister prankster god.

Ysengrin AND Eglamore intervene. They stand, surrounded by Coyote and back into one another, turning into surprise before they realise who it is. Then they link arms, and do an awesome back to back kick routine.

Coyote is unimpressed.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Only Coyote would combine Disdainful Face with Springy Neck. :allears:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Alternate alternate theory: Jones shows up and tells Coyote off.

Or better yet, Coyote is being genuinely dangerous and is about to hurt Annie somehow, but Jones shows up and stops him using her yet-to-be-fully-defined immense powers.

Really, I just hope we find out more about what Jones is this chapter.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
I think this shows both a) the power of Coyote's myth and b) the effectiveness of the story. All the theories we have seen are valid at this point. Which is totally appropriate for a trickster god.

My point- Don't kick gods in the nose.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think Annie's about to start understanding just WHY the court is so drat terrified of Coyote that they'd curse one of their own to never-ending torture-haunting a river to keep out forest creatures. After all, it was so horrible that they erased the history of Jeanne but they still felt it was the right thing to do.

I bet they have a group that does nothing but think up ways to fight Coyote if he ever gets serious.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
REMINDER: COYOTE IS NOT YOUR BRO

Coyote gets way too much slack from people despite all the horrible poo poo he's done. Hopefully this chapter will start changing some minds.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I think Annie's about to start understanding just WHY the court is so drat terrified of Coyote that they'd curse one of their own to never-ending torture-haunting a river to keep out forest creatures. After all, it was so horrible that they erased the history of Jeanne but they still felt it was the right thing to do.

I bet they have a group that does nothing but think up ways to fight Coyote if he ever gets serious.

The whole Jeanne thing happened before Reynard/Ysengrin/Coyote showed up. "It was a little before our time."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geekner posted:

The whole Jeanne thing happened before Reynard/Ysengrin/Coyote showed up. "It was a little before our time."

No, it was the creation of the Court in the forest that predated them. Coyote created the Waters to divide the two later on after he arrived, and Jeanne was set as guard soon after.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
:siren:WARNING: Massive wall of rambly theorycrafting ahead!:siren:

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Alternate alternate theory: Jones shows up and tells Coyote off.

Or better yet, Coyote is being genuinely dangerous and is about to hurt Annie somehow, but Jones shows up and stops him using her yet-to-be-fully-defined immense powers.

Really, I just hope we find out more about what Jones is this chapter.
I have to wonder -- is Antimony actually right to be so confident? Does she have an ace up her sleeve? Sure, this chapter's title immediately reminded everyone of Coyote's earlier remark, but what if she's the one with the great secret, some way of keeping the trickster in check? Or maybe his great secret is that Antimony could wipe the forest floor with his magnificent and terrifying corpse if only she knew how, which would explain why he's been so reluctant to divulge...

...but then perhaps Jones really is the key. 'Jones' -- no given name, no surname, just 'Jones' -- is such an obvious pseudonym that Tom might as well be beating us over the head with a club and yelling "It's a PSEUDONYM! Totally FAKE NAME! NOT REAL!" And as if that wasn't enough, Coyote virtually verified it, saying it was a name she'd "stolen". Jones's impassive attitude and expressionless face suggest a mask, and the last time we saw her was in Annie's dream, naked yet wielding a mask. Is it possible that Jones as we know her is herself a mask, a puppet, a fake person with a fake name covering up for something else? Perhaps an n-dimensional being with a humanoid protrusion into our 3-D world, much like the 3-D sphere's circular protrusion into Flatland? Such a being would be utterly blasé about a party hat or anything else suddenly appearing or disappearing -- it could be just like picking a Flatlander up off the 2-D surface and setting it down somewhere else. Likewise, it could easily whisk Antimony or anything else from one spot in 3-D space to another.

Of course it's also possible that all this theorycrafting is totally off-track and I'm full of crap. Maybe Jones is nobody and nothing but herself, sui Jone-eris.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

All kinds of theories about what happens next, and every single one equally viable.

This comic. :allears:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
A few more I guess

the most terrible post
gently caress your lovely post
your post will not be as good as mine
I'm the worst poster

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

1stGear posted:

REMINDER: COYOTE IS NOT YOUR BRO

Coyote gets way too much slack from people despite all the horrible poo poo he's done. Hopefully this chapter will start changing some minds.

Coyote is an awesome character, though. That doesn't mean people have to like what he's done or will do; we can still appreciate the value he's added to the story the way a good enemy makes a narrative engaging. Only in this case, Coyote is played subtly enough that it's very hard to tell if he's actually a villain, an unhinged friend, or a chaotic force of nature. This is exactly why he's so interesting. This trait and his hilarious antics make him really likeable as a character even though he'd be terrifying in reality.

Also, holy crap all the panels he's in are incredibly well-drawn. It's really obvious Tom loves drawing him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zenzirouj posted:

A few more I guess

Unfortunately too large for avatarhood.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Coyote is legitimately angry here. Every time he's played pranks, his smile and bright disposition have never evaporated (see two pages ago), and in fact the only other time we've seen him out of fun-mode was the first couple pages he appeared before he learned who Annie was. Now? Well.

My bet's on Coyote calming down after Ysengrin intervenes, and then we learn from one source or another about his Great Secret.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
This is completely unrelated to the current situation (and what a situation it is!), but I just had a 'duh' moment while re-reading Microsat 5: It's a bit ominous that a guy named Carver would send in a request for blades, innit?

I feel a bit thick for not noticing until now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

This is completely unrelated to the current situation (and what a situation it is!), but I just had a 'duh' moment while re-reading Microsat 5: It's a bit ominous that a guy named Carver would send in a request for blades, innit?

It's a bit appropriate that a guy named Carver would be a surgeon.