Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
He made My Big Fat Independent Movie, which is godawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
All Chris Gore is in my mind is a guy who once worked at Video Games and Computer Entertainment, a video game magazine that died a long, long time ago. I know I see him doing stuff and talking about movies, but he'll always be That Guy From VG&CE.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

But don't you see, one time Chris Gore yelled really loud in a restaurant and they APPLAUDED him and that's why Improv4Humansis4Pussies (that never happened).

I only listen to Improv4Humans based on the guests, so I was dying with laughter at the Eric the Paid Intern compilation episode. He is a cartoon character.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
I have no idea who Chris Gore is, but it's pretty telling that every single picture of him is the epitome of :smug:. In any case, he sounds like he's SO WACKY AND RANDOM! I mean, saying "Ah, ah, ah" to a cop? That's so hilarious and totally a real thing that actually happened.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tigsaw posted:

So I guess we won't be getting a JJGO! Comic-con special after all. http://jessethorn.tumblr.com/post/27125989650/jordan-jesse-go-live-at-san-diego-comic-con

I normally don't like how Jordan Jesse Go has become a show about Jordan Jesse Go but the story about how the racist puppet show was not offensive to the head of marketing for WB (not surprising since they had a racist frog as their mascot for years) but jokes about oral sex were wrong was pretty funny.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

^^^^
Was Michigan J. Frog a racist?

Anyway, more Gore-chat: Chris Gore got his start doing an indie film magazine called "Film Threat" (I was surprised its still around in website form) in the mid-late 80's. Then he went legit & moved to the video game world. He was kind of a big deal back in the Film Threat days. Of course back then hardly anyone was making films & videos like they are now. Does anyone remember Curse of the Queerwolf? . These days he's just sort of a washed up crank that most people don't remember. I still have all my old film threats from when I was a fresh faced moron who wanted to make indie films... boo hoo...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

King Lou posted:

^^^^
Was Michigan J. Frog a racist?

The argument goes that M.J.Frog's "Hello my Honey" routine is cribbed directly from minstrel shows. You could make an argument that parts of his design take after racist stereotypes, but that's more tenuous. Dave Chapelle in particular spoke out against the WB channel for making the frog their mascot way back when.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
When I was like 13 years old I used to bounce around forums over the Internet and one of them had Chris Gore as its resident Internet superstar. Suffice to say that he has not evolved from when he was posting 30+ times a day in 1999.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

The argument goes that M.J.Frog's "Hello my Honey" routine is cribbed directly from minstrel shows. You could make an argument that parts of his design take after racist stereotypes, but that's more tenuous. Dave Chapelle in particular spoke out against the WB channel for making the frog their mascot way back when.

Right. That Chappelle bit was the only thing I could find that really called that out. I think you could argue that he's a badly drawn frog. Good thing that controversy blew over!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It doesn't have to be an enduring controversy to be identifiably racism-derived. Lots of things in the modern world are like that.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Al! posted:

I normally don't like how Jordan Jesse Go has become a show about Jordan Jesse Go but the story about how the racist puppet show was not offensive to the head of marketing for WB (not surprising since they had a racist frog as their mascot for years) but jokes about oral sex were wrong was pretty funny.

Become? Was it ever something else?

Gooth
Jul 9, 2012

Makes the world taste good!
Is anyone here a fan of Red Bar Radio? I'm trying to get as many people into this show as possible, it quickly became my favorite show a couple months back. for anyone new, i'd say start with their youtube page, which has a ton of cartoons and highlight clips, to give you a quick feel of if its your taste or not, then just listen to a couple episodes on https://redbarradio.net

Also, a similar vein of comedy show, I like Wreckless Media Radio. thats also worth checking out.

Gooth fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 17, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

Become? Was it ever something else?

It used to be a show two guys did about nothing with some funny guests but now it's a show about what's going on with Jesse Thorn, professional podcaster, that week. Jordan and the guests have faded almost completely into the background.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Al! posted:

It used to be a show two guys did about nothing with some funny guests but now it's a show about what's going on with Jesse Thorn, professional podcaster, that week. Jordan and the guests have faded almost completely into the background.

This kind of thing is by nature subjective, but I don't find that to be true. It was more true this week than other weeks because they had a big thing to talk about, but I've always felt it was a mixture of Jordan stories, Jesse stories, and guest chat.

It's possible Jesse has become a littlemore self absorbed since having a child, but not to any huge degree.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lamuella posted:

This kind of thing is by nature subjective, but I don't find that to be true. It was more true this week than other weeks because they had a big thing to talk about, but I've always felt it was a mixture of Jordan stories, Jesse stories, and guest chat.

It's possible Jesse has become a littlemore self absorbed since having a child, but not to any huge degree.

Others may not see it this way but I feel like since around when Jordan lost his job it has become more or less the Jesse show. Sometimes they have a stronger guest like Moshe Kasher or Rob Corddry and those are the shows that are interesting to me again, but for instance Jesse freaking out over the pentathlete for two whole shows was pretty unbearable to me.

Al! fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 17, 2012

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I haven't listened to JJGo in a while, but I still make sure to check out Jordan Morris episodes of Indoor Kids, etc.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
JJGo used to be my favorite podcast by a large margin. But at some point, they lost me. They used to be very open about the personal problems they were having, but now they are much more guarded. And rather than mature as he ages, Jesse let his eccentricities overwhelm him. He's like a walking collection of tics at this point.

But those first hundred episodes or so were really charming and sometimes touching.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Does anyone listen to How Does This Get Made? its my second favorite podcast on earwolf and I can't get enough of Jason Mantzoukas anywhere. Would a thread be appropriate?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I listen to it but I don't like it that much. Jason Mantzoukas is the main reason I keep listening. The Flophouse is just so much funnier.

A thread for (bad) movie podcasts might be interesting.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I agree: Mantzoukas is the main reason I listen to the podcast and when I heard he was on a Skype call I immediately tuned it to the background of what I was working on. He's the only one that says consistently funny things (depending on the guest) and I literally never get tired of him.

I like the Flophouse because it is more consistent, they have more episodes I can go through, and I like Elliott Kalan. I can see why some people may think he's annoying, though.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Improv4humans has Paul Sheer on it, really good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Politicalrancor posted:

Does anyone listen to How Does This Get Made? its my second favorite podcast on earwolf and I can't get enough of Jason Mantzoukas anywhere. Would a thread be appropriate?

Yeah, Mantzoukas is the best part. I just listened to the 88 Minutes episode and it was killing me with those Pacino impressions. It's a really hit-or-miss podcast, but it's short enough that it's easy to shrug off the bad ones. Plus, I don't care if they go in-depth or anything, I just like a bunch of funny riffs on the insanity of a movie. The recent Judge Dredd one is a good example too.

synertia posted:

I agree: Mantzoukas is the main reason I listen to the podcast and when I heard he was on a Skype call I immediately tuned it to the background of what I was working on. He's the only one that says consistently funny things (depending on the guest) and I literally never get tired of him.

Same here. Anytime he's Skyping I usually tune out. I will say June Diane Raphael is pretty loving hilarious most of the time too, if anything Paul Scheer--and I'm a huge fan of his--is the weak link. I think it's because he's more worried about holding onto whatever sort of structure the show has whereas the others get to free-flow more often.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, Mantzoukas is the best part. I just listened to the 88 Minutes episode and it was killing me with those Pacino impressions. It's a really hit-or-miss podcast, but it's short enough that it's easy to shrug off the bad ones. Plus, I don't care if they go in-depth or anything, I just like a bunch of funny riffs on the insanity of a movie. The recent Judge Dredd one is a good example too.

Same here. Anytime he's Skyping I usually tune out. I will say June Diane Raphael is pretty loving hilarious most of the time too, if anything Paul Scheer--and I'm a huge fan of his--is the weak link. I think it's because he's more worried about holding onto whatever sort of structure the show has whereas the others get to free-flow more often.

Scheer is miscast as a moderator, because I always think he's funnier when he jumps in on someone elses point rather than organizing the flow of the show. I just finished the 88 minutes ep and gently caress that was amazing, outside of pete holmes (who I love) screaming with joy over every terrible part of that terrible movie. I also really liked the Speed 2 episode because man, who doesn't love scott aukerman?

oh and yeah we should totally have a Bad Movie Review Podcast thread, simply because people need to talk about Jason Mantzoukas all of the time, every day.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

My favorite bad movie podcast is probably We Hate Movies to be honest partly because they are exhaustive partly because they throw dark and partly because half their show isn't them reading emails from their listeners about how great they are.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Al! posted:

My favorite bad movie podcast is probably We Hate Movies to be honest partly because they are exhaustive partly because they throw dark and partly because half their show isn't them reading emails from their listeners about how great they are.

The one thing I don't like about this show is when Andrew (I think that's the one who is the moderator/host guy) gets real about how absolutely disgusted he is by a movie and does a dumb Lewis Black impression to show how truly riled up he is about the inconsistencies or whatever. Listening to people who are dumbfounded at how bad a movie is is funny, but fake-rage is just grating to me.

Also, the kidnapping story at the beginning of this week's Spawn episode was very off-putting.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
I personally like We Hate Movies the best because a) it's updated every week and b) they talk only about the movie and very little side bullshit.

The Flophouse is funny as long as you don't consider it exclusively "bad movie" podcast, because it really isn't - it's more of a "a bunch of comedy writers goofing around (also featuring a movie I guess)." Plus, it's updated whenever they feel like, which sometimes means once in a blue moon.

Like other people have said, How Did This Get Made is pretty hit-or-miss, usually depending on the guest they have for the week.

^^^^edit: Yeah, the fake rage thing is really annoying. I feel like The Flophouse guys handle it the best and are really honest. If a movie is simply kind of stupid and boring (which is usually the case), they'll say so and not make a huge spectacle of it ala "Oh GOD this movie. That one scene was SO DISTURBING, it LITERALLY MADE. NO. SENSE. LITERALLY."

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Just posted the latest Lou Reads today. Its pretty stupid. Not gross. Just stupid.

Lou Reads from Tea Party Nation - Part Duex

If you can stomach a whole lot of rationalizing why should vote for Romney and then slowly sink into why Obama didn't write his own books Bill Ayers wrote Dreams of my Father and why he is the worst president ever... well then you owe it to yourself to listen.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Jason has really toned down the "literally"'s lately as far as I can tell, they even make fun of it every once in awhile. How Did this Get Made is definitely my favorite movie podcast though, I just love some of their interpretations of scenes or what the writers were thinking. My favorite episodes are Old Dogs, Cool as Ice and Pluto Nash. Cool as Ice is great because Vanilla Ice comes on at the end and seems pretty genuine when talking about making the film, but also realizes how truly crazy it really is. 88 Minutes is funny as hell because of the Pacino impressions and because that movie LITERALLY. MAKES. NO. SENSE. I read the Wikipedia article later and still couldn't make heads or tails of it.

There are so many movies I'd love for them to do, but they are too afraid of offending their friends so they still kind of only cover the typical bad movies we all know already.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

The Duke posted:

Jason has really toned down the "literally"'s lately as far as I can tell, they even make fun of it every once in awhile. How Did this Get Made is definitely my favorite movie podcast though, I just love some of their interpretations of scenes or what the writers were thinking. My favorite episodes are Old Dogs, Cool as Ice and Pluto Nash. Cool as Ice is great because Vanilla Ice comes on at the end and seems pretty genuine when talking about making the film, but also realizes how truly crazy it really is. 88 Minutes is funny as hell because of the Pacino impressions and because that movie LITERALLY. MAKES. NO. SENSE. I read the Wikipedia article later and still couldn't make heads or tails of it.

There are so many movies I'd love for them to do, but they are too afraid of offending their friends so they still kind of only cover the typical bad movies we all know already.

Try The Flophouse, they cover a ton of movies that the LA comedians usually ignore because their friends are in them. Also they have Eliot.

My favorite HDTGM episode was the one with Lexi Alexander. It wasn't the funniest (that was the 88 minutes one...that movie is such a piece of poo poo!) but I loved all her stories about how the movie was made.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Flophouse is alright, I just prefer the personalities of HDTGM :)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

My favorite part of HDTGM is the 2nd Opinions. Reading Amazon reviews is nothing new but listening to everyone crack up during these always does it for me. The Spider Man 3 review that sounds like a kid explaining to his grandparents what happened on a field trip was amazing.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
The HDTGM about I Know Who Killed Me is amazing has never left my Itunes. I can listen to that thing all day along with Tresspass and Jason doing his so frustrated and confused he can't speak thing. I did not like the Pluto Nash one because those guests just talked over each other and it was a giant mess. Their whole PR thing for their new sitcom on Earwolf turned me off. I heard another show with one of the guests on Improv4Humans and it was just frustratingly bad.

I like the Flophouse because of the bits they do, but since it's not about movies that's another thing. We Hate Movies is good, but I don't like their riffs as much. It really just depends on the mood I am in.

In any case, if Jason Mantzoukas is on a Podcast I listen to it immediately. Including if I am in the middle of another one.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Have they stopped relying on listener submissions for entire segments? Those were always dire, and you could feel the flop sweat coming off the hosts as they tried to wring humor out of them.

I only listened to the first five or so,so the entire show might have been retooled in that time.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
It's kind of scary how fast he can come up with something perverted to say.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

The Modern Leper posted:

Have they stopped relying on listener submissions for entire segments? Those were always dire, and you could feel the flop sweat coming off the hosts as they tried to wring humor out of them.

I only listened to the first five or so,so the entire show might have been retooled in that time.

Assuming you mean HDTGM, yes. They changed that portion of the show from awful listener submissions, which I agree were easily the worst part of the show, to reading Amazon reviews praising the movie and giving it a perfect score. It was a big upgrade and a much funnier segment now that they're not dealing with amateurs trying to be funny.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Greggy posted:

It was a big upgrade and a much funnier segment now that they're not dealing with amateurs trying to be funny.

The average tweet has funnier stuff than those listener submissions and, as you know, they're pretty abysmal. I can't imagine looking at those typed catch phrases or whatever and slowly nodding going "Yeah, that's pretty good".

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ograbme posted:

It's kind of scary how fast he can come up with something perverted to say.

In this vein Eddie Pepitone is so good at it that on the Todd Glass show Todd had him portraying a boorish uncle at thanksgiving and the last 10 minutes of the show is basically Eddie making Todd nearly die of laughter.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In this vein Eddie Pepitone is so good at it that on the Todd Glass show Todd had him portraying a boorish uncle at thanksgiving and the last 10 minutes of the show is basically Eddie making Todd nearly die of laughter.

If people want to see Eddie Pepitone saying incredibly hosed up poo poo on the daily, I highly recommend Puddin'.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Film Fandango is a pretty good comedy film review podcast, although they don't focus on bad films so much. They do one new release (and tear it apart if it's genuinely bad) and one film brought in by the guest. The latest one panned Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World, then had them waxing lyrical about how good His Girl Friday is. Fairly good stuff, providing you're into Danielle Ward's sense of humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

HOLY poo poo a new Dead Authors Podcast. With Nick Kroll as Jorge Luis Borges. HOLY poo poo.

• Locked thread