Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Highly unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Are the Top Gear episodes on netflix the full uncut 1 hour versions with the original music?
I watched a couple of the episodes last night that were recommended earlier in this thread and they were right about 57 minutes long and as far as I could tell had the original music on the opening credits.

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
I think some of the segment music has been changed (like they do with some of the official web segments) but there haven't been many that have stuck out. I haven't noticed any differences in video content from the originally broadcast episodes and the lengths seem correct.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Are the Top Gear episodes on netflix the full uncut 1 hour versions with the original music?

No, which is a shame because the Vietnam special with original music is amazing.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

AggressivelyStupid posted:

No, which is a shame because the Vietnam special with original music is amazing.

In the UK the BBC don't have to pay royalties for music used so they always get the best they can.

When it's being sold for profit (like DVDs or Re-runs not on the BBC) or for export then then have to change the music.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Interestingly, Hammond's crash episode (9.1) isn't on Netflix.

My favorite episode by far is episode 7.3, where they take a Zonda, Ford GT, and Ferrari F430 through France. It's hugely entertaining the whole way through, the cars are gorgeous, and they devote almost the entire episode to the trip.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ColdPie posted:

My favorite episode by far is episode 7.3, where they take a Zonda, Ford GT, and Ferrari F430 through France. It's hugely entertaining the whole way through, the cars are gorgeous, and they devote almost the entire episode to the trip.

That's the one where they have no loving idea how to get their cars out of a parking garage, right?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ColdPie posted:

I'm pretty sure they had a gentleman's agreement to never show it again after the initial airing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's the one where they have no loving idea how to get their cars out of a parking garage, right?
Pretty sure that describes multiple episodes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, the Zonda makes some very expensive noises.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I forgot, the one where they review Clarkson's Grosser and May's Rolls Royce is pretty classic. Season 11 episode 5.

Watching the Grosser try a slalom is hilariously absurd.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I forgot, the one where they review Clarkson's Grosser and May's Rolls Royce is pretty classic. Season 11 episode 5.

Watching the Grosser try a slalom is hilariously absurd.

And that loving horn. Good God it was loud.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

djdanno13 posted:

Just saw this link posted on facebook by topgear.com I would totally want a new MG.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/mg-le50-first-drive-2012-07-13

This happens every now and again...The RV8 has better specs IMHO.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My favourite is either S15E2 where they take MB 190 Cosworth, BMW M3 and Sierra Cosworth on Autobahn or S11E5 Grosser vs Pulman.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Any episode where they cock about with old cars is the best episode.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Data Graham posted:

You're not allowed to appreciate the awesomeness of the British Leyland challenge or the 24h BMW diesel race until you've sat through a year of Jason Dawe and Richard Hammond talking about used car prices.
Well at least watch whichever episode has the original Zonda just to see the hanger completely empty, which let them start it up and rev the engine. That wouldn't fly today with the hanger filled to the brim.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
My favourite challenge is still episode 5 in season 7, where Clarkson in a Veyron races May & Hammond's Cessna from Switzerland to London. Almost the perfect combination of an awesome car and good banter between the presenters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just rewatched that one. The post-mortem where James falls asleep and the others laugh silently at him :3:

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
If you don't watch it in order, from the beginning you may miss out on a lot of subtleties as well as the knowledge of a black stig that existed at one time. Also, Top Gear has Series, not Seasons. I genuinely found it funny in S16E5 when they ran around Norway and lit the town on fire in their snow removal combine.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been rewatching some old ones, and man, Series 11 is so drat good.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Holy poo poo we just watched the episode where they go through the southern USA and they nearly loving died at that gas station. People going after the camera crew is hosed up.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Solenna posted:

Holy poo poo we just watched the episode where they go through the southern USA and they nearly loving died at that gas station. People going after the camera crew is hosed up.

Not really. It's the south and they begged for it. Although I promise you the same thing would have happened in any small northern town in Wisconsin.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gorilla Salad posted:

They could use traditional Russian vehicles likes these ones I've found from EnglishRussia.com

What the, what... is that a loving locomotive fitted with off-road tyres? :stare:

Also, if they were doing something in Russia I could totally see James rocking up in a VT-10 Vityaz articulated crawler. It would suit him perfectly - it's practical, can cover literally any terrain (even water), and is dog-slow.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Preoptopus posted:

Not really. It's the south and they begged for it. Although I promise you the same thing would have happened in any small northern town in Wisconsin.

Only reason it didn't happen in Bolivia is because their car graffiti was in English.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Preoptopus posted:

You mean that wasn't staged like pretty much everything else they do?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Jut posted:

There is an article about it in the Sunday times but I don't have a membership.
But here is the gist of it. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/07/richard-hammond-says-i-top-gear-i-crews-scariest-moment-was/

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jut posted:

No, it was staged like pretty much everything else that they do.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

nmfree posted:

They swear up and down that it wasn't. Whether or not you want to believe them is another conversation, but they have stated, on the record, that that really happened.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not to perpetuate this most tiresome of recurring arguments, but one of the things I love about the show is the moments that you know weren't staged. They remind you that even though an awful lot of their wacky hijinks are scripted to hell and back, sometimes painfully so, these guys nonetheless have a lot of genuine chemistry together and you can laugh a lot at any candid recording of them just shooting the poo poo.

The cameraman busting up in laughter at Clarkson's "Princess Di had one" (when he was showing off his mineclearing tractor) is one such moment. The backwoods mayor dancing in the tire shop in the latest US special is another.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

nmfree posted:

You have no idea how TV production works. No producer would ever allow a bit that consists of one long shot of a woman, terrible audio and a camera man shooting the ground as he runs, making Blairwitch look like a cinematic masterpiece.

You would have had much more production. It's included because in an otherwise boring road trip they had something crazy happen. So who cares about how it looks and sounds, because that's genuine drama. - Any Producer In The World

Welcome to TV Land.

I bet Hamster crashing was one elaborate hoax. Cunning geniuses these fellas! Sometimes you gotta go into a fake coma for them ratings, being a tv personality is no joke. It's all written into their BBC contracts of course.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Morphix posted:

You would have had much more production. It's included because in an otherwise boring road trip they had something crazy happen. So who cares about how it looks and sounds, because that's genuine drama. - Any Producer In The World.
No, it's Any Producer

In The World.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
If they have to bleep out a swear, it's not scripted.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Smoking the Porsche pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHr36rbWnKA

Best "scripted moment that got away from them" ever.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Data Graham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDcpTwKBfZc

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For the other Americans out there, the US version was announced to be back starting August 14th. Six episodes before the holidays, then 10 more afterwards.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Smoking the Porsche pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHr36rbWnKA

It's too bad that the Netflix version has "The News" cut out from most of the series (I think everything up to about series 11), since there were a ton of great moments like that.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Payndz posted:

What the, what... is that a loving locomotive fitted with off-road tyres? :stare:
Near enough. It's a train body on a mobile ICBM launcher chassis.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

azflyboy posted:

It's too bad that the Netflix version has "The News" cut out from most of the series (I think everything up to about series 11), since there were a ton of great moments like that.

What? So far Series 6 has all the news in it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So Clarkson joined in the chorus of Brits making fun of Romney, if anyone is interested.

Also, really looking forward to the next season of TGUSA. Did Rutledge say if they were going to change the format at all? Their run-time is tragically short for all the content they try to include.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

Also, really looking forward to the next season of TGUSA. Did Rutledge say if they were going to change the format at all? Their run-time is tragically short for all the content they try to include.

They really need to drop SIARPC. The episodes they've had without it have been much better.