Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

onemanlan posted:

Ah, I was not aware of how many different types of BC there were out there even having previously owned one. Good to know. Anyhow the vet seemed to think he was mixed, so that's why I've been trying to figure this out. I suppose a DNA test would be the only way to know for sure. I'm just going to pretend hes pure BC, not that it matters much. Thanks your your help guys!

He looks like some sort of BC/primitive mix. Might be easier to hazard a guess with more images. I doubt he's pure BC, despite how varied the dogs can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Since I moved and got more space, I adopted a brother for Leia. Here's Luke:

The shelter says he's a border collie mix, what do you guys think?

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

We adopted Desmond who the previous owners claimed to be a husky mix which seemed very off. We've been assuming he is boxer/pit. What do you fine people think?

A couple years ago.

Recent, he had surgery on his ear which is why it is hanging down like that.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

EnsignVix posted:

We adopted Desmond who the previous owners claimed to be a husky mix which seemed very off. We've been assuming he is boxer/pit. What do you fine people think?

A couple years ago.

Recent, he had surgery on his ear which is why it is hanging down like that.

Did the previous owner see the mom? Sometimes it can be really hard to guess just based on what the pup looks like. This dog is half Alaskan huskey:

That said, your dog definitely looks boxer-y and I could see pit too. His coat looks kind of thick though, is it just the pictures?

Vintimus Prime posted:

Since I moved and got more space, I adopted a brother for Leia. Here's Luke:

The shelter says he's a border collie mix, what do you guys think?

Which one is Luke? Neither look particularly collie-ish to me. Both look kind of shepherd-y but mostly like mixes of mixes.

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

^^^
Wow, thanks for the very helpful response.

We got the breed information from the previous owner by proxy through an adoption shelter so that's really all we know on that front. I would not call his coat thick, no. He's got a very broad chest which is part of the reason we thought he is part pit. His paws are noticeably big for his size, and he has a very pronounced brindle coat if that isn't apparent in the pictures.

He does look a lot like the picture you posted. It's interesting to hear there may be some credibility in the husky mix theory.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

My girlfriend and I were looking to adopt this dog and the petsmart is saying mastiff mix...

We were thinking more of a plott hound/labrador mix.

Thoughts?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Yuzenn posted:

My girlfriend and I were looking to adopt this dog and the petsmart is saying mastiff mix...

Thoughts?

Why are you thinking Plott? He doesn't look especially houndy to me. Mastiff and Lab, maybe, seems more likely.

Brindle can show up in so many breeds...and so many breeds can have square heads like that that he really could be anything.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Yuzenn posted:

Thoughts?

Plotts are much finer-boned and don't have blocky heads and chests like that. That dog looks like a Lab/brindle bully mutt, maybe with something else.

Here's a nice Plott:

Note the ear carriage, narrow body, narrow rectangular head, longer limbs, longer muzzle, longer neck, etc.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
This is my new boy, Mr. Bobo.

The foster agency said he was a golden retriever and collie mix. The vet said he was a Sheltie. I'm going for Sheltie, but at 50 pounds he's a bit large. Possibly Sheltie+something?

Any ideas?

He's very comfortable in his own skin -- he doesn't want to play, either with toys or people, and just lounges around. But he likes to be in the room with me. When I'm not at the desk, he's very pushy about wanting to be petted. He will head butt my hand, or come up and put his paw on my arm. This is what I see a lot:

We know he's eight years old, but that's about all.

He's a lovesponge, and the best doggie ever.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Effingham posted:

This is my new boy, Mr. Bobo.

The foster agency said he was a golden retriever and collie mix. The vet said he was a Sheltie. I'm going for Sheltie, but at 50 pounds he's a bit large. Possibly Sheltie+something?

He's very comfortable in his own skin -- he doesn't want to play, either with toys or people, and just lounges around. But he likes to be in the room with me. When I'm not at the desk, he's very pushy about wanting to be petted. He will head butt my hand, or come up and put his paw on my arm. This is what I see a lot:

We know he's eight years old, but that's about all.

He's a lovesponge, and the best doggie ever.

What a happy guy! Good on you for adopting him. I'd agree with sheltie maybe just a poorly bred overly large one or possibly mixed with a golden retriever. He's a bit of a chunk so I bet if you slimmed him down (the nutrition megathread stickied at the top could help with that) he would be more sheltie-looking and might be more excited to play too.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 17, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I see bits of Golden in that face and tail, so my vote is for Golden/Sheltie mix.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love dogs that pester you for cuddles. :3:

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&

jgrrr posted:

here's Phoebe.

just adopted from the ASPCA in New York. she's a year and 7 months and learns really fast.

we were told she's part Pit, and can't figure out what else she is, someone at the park thinks she may be part Catahoula Leopard Dog, but we don't know! because of the judgement on pits we're not going to say "pit mix" but rather "purebred mutt"

Ok, so catahoula was quite a stretch. thinking she may be pit/boxer. definitely more pit though, definitely a mix.

Here's a body shot of Phoebe and my parent's 9 y/o chocolate lab mix.

sorry tables

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

jgrrr posted:

Ok, so catahoula was quite a stretch. thinking she may be pit/boxer. definitely more pit though, definitely a mix.

Here's a body shot of Phoebe and my parent's 9 y/o chocolate lab mix.

sorry tables

That dog still looks like a regular pit bull to me. If not completely, than enough to eclipse any other contributing breed. Why are you so positive she is a mix?

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&
she's been around full pits and she stands a decent amount taller than them, she shows no dog aggression, she only chases squirrels and small birds, investigates cats but never chases them if they run.

I keep hearing that they are agressive around other dogs and strangers, neither of which she is, and that they will prey on anything. She's afraid of bugs, and mirrors.

I'm just not sold that she's full pit, especially comparing her to other pits that I've known.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Pits can develop dog-aggression, but good ones will never show aggression to people (dog-aggression and human-aggression are completely separate drives). Some pits are fine with other dogs, and thanks to crazy breeding they can vary a bit in size.

what I'm saying is congrats on your new pit

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&
thanks! it's fine if she's a pit. girlfriend's first pick, couldn't be happier with the decision though. great personality. i just hoped that she was a mix!

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

jgrrr posted:

thanks! it's fine if she's a pit. girlfriend's first pick, couldn't be happier with the decision though. great personality. i just hoped that she was a mix!

I don't understand the whole hoping she was a mix part, but congratulations on your awesome Phoebe!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's entirely possible she could have a little bit of something else in there, but like TVs Ian said, it's hidden by the pit. Considering pits make up the most dogs in shelters, it's crazy common to find them there. Good luck, she's quite handsome. :)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Either I'm having deja vu or jgrrr has posting in PI before trying to believe his dog wasn't a pit.

Jgrr, please keep in mind regardless of your dog not displaying dog aggression, you really have to continue to take precautions like not allowing your dog off leash in a public area and never taking her to dog parks.

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&

Kerfuffle posted:

Either I'm having deja vu or jgrrr has posting in PI before trying to believe his dog wasn't a pit.

Jgrr, please keep in mind regardless of your dog not displaying dog aggression, you really have to continue to take precautions like not allowing your dog off leash in a public area and never taking her to dog parks.

trying to believe that she's a mix and not a full pit!

she is never off leash in public, and never in actual dog parks. we take her to a dog friendly park, keep her on the leash and monitor her very closely. there are some dogs that instigate other dogs in the park, so we don't let her around them because they get into some violent fights. luckily she has never been involved: saw a golden retriever take down a pointer yesterday, kind of grizzly, kept her far away from that.

the only time she's been off leash with another dog is in our apartment, or visiting my parents in their house or in their backyard.

she also hasn't been socialized with smaller dogs, so we make her lay down while the smaller dogs investigate and she's fine letting them sniff her.

my biggest fear when we first got her would be that she wold attack another dog, or worse a kid. she hasn't done any of those things. she HAS play fought with another dog, but it was equal amounts of her getting pinned and pinning the other dog. she was not asserting dominance.

she has been provoked, but didn't snap back, just tried to get away.

if this sounds like a pit, i'll stop posting about her in this thread and take it to the bully breed thread!

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

jgrrr posted:

she also hasn't been socialized with smaller dogs, so we make her lay down while the smaller dogs investigate and she's fine letting them sniff her.

but it was equal amounts of her getting pinned and pinning the other dog. she was not asserting dominance.
You might want to read the training thread.

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&
probably a good choice, my next stop.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

jgrrr posted:

trying to believe that she's a mix and not a full pit!
she is never off leash in public, and never in actual dog parks. we take her to a dog friendly park, keep her on the leash and monitor her very closely. there are some dogs that instigate other dogs in the park, so we don't let her around them because they get into some violent fights. luckily she has never been involved: saw a golden retriever take down a pointer yesterday, kind of grizzly, kept her far away from that.

the only time she's been off leash with another dog is in our apartment, or visiting my parents in their house or in their backyard.

my biggest fear when we first got her would be that she wold attack another dog, or worse a kid. she hasn't done any of those things. she HAS play fought with another dog, but it was equal amounts of her getting pinned and pinning the other dog. she was not asserting dominance.

she has been provoked, but didn't snap back, just tried to get away.

if this sounds like a pit, i'll stop posting about her in this thread and take it to the bully breed thread!
I don't really know what you expect a Pit to sound like...? All dogs are individuals, Pit Bulls included, and they don't all act exactly the same. Pit Bulls can be predisposed to aggression towards other dogs, but NEVER ,under ay circumstances, should they show aggression towards people. It goes against the breed standard, so much so that most people here, myself as a Pit Bull enthusiast included, believe that any Pit who bites or displays serious aggression toward a person should be euthanized. It's entirely uncharacteristic. Those stories you hear about "vicious Pit Bulls" come from poorly bred, poorly socialized, abused, neglected, and sick individuals, oftentimes not even real Pit Bulls, who get a lovely hand in life and end up with all the blame for a situation that people, and people alone, created. Whatever you heard about Pit Bulls not liking strangers is bullshit - quite the opposite, a Pit should be all smiles and wiggles when they greet a stranger. You're basing your opinion on hysteria, not fact, and hoping that your dog is a mix because "omg Pitbull" is silly.

Another thing about dog-on-dog aggression - not every Pit Bull develops or displays it. Many don't. Many do, and there's nothing wrong with that - it isn't linked with Human aggression or prey drive. It is a separate drive, it doesn't "lead" to anything else like a lot of people believe. Some dogs just don't like other dogs, it isn't the end of the world or a sign that your dog is broken somehow.

edit: definitely visit the bully thread if you want to know more about Pit Bulls/Bully breeds in general. There is a lot to learn, and myself and the other Pit Bull lovers on this forum would love to share our experience and knowledge with you.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 17, 2012

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&
Thanks!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Bear Rape posted:

You might want to read the training thread.

Or he should at least just read this. Pretty good info.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Skizzles posted:

Or he should at least just read this. Pretty good info.

Thanks for this! I was looking for a better reference but couldn't find one.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Did the previous owner see the mom? Sometimes it can be really hard to guess just based on what the pup looks like. This dog is half Alaskan huskey:

That said, your dog definitely looks boxer-y and I could see pit too. His coat looks kind of thick though, is it just the pictures?

Which one is Luke? Neither look particularly collie-ish to me. Both look kind of shepherd-y but mostly like mixes of mixes.

Luke is the black and white pup, Leia is the brown one.

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011
Was just talking with a friend about her mutt, Marley.

She thinks maybe basenji and shepherd.

Pristine Shits
Dec 11, 2004

Pom and sheltie mix (we think!)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pristine Shits posted:

Pom and sheltie mix (we think!)

That is a corgi face if I've ever seen one! Reminds me of my parent's pembroke. I'd guess pem/pom.

DracoArgentum posted:

Basenjis are pretty rare so unless your area has a lot of them its pretty doubtful they make up any part of that pup. It's really hard to tell what puppies are until they're full grown. Maybe some sort of bully thing? He has gorgeous eyes.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

DracoArgentum posted:

Basenjis are pretty rare. with that head, I'd be inclinded to say bully/ pit mix of some kind. Maybe one of the parents was a shepherd.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I keep seeing GSD/chocolate lab for some reason in that dog. It's kind of hard to tell because she looks pretty young.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

That is a corgi face if I've ever seen one! Reminds me of my parent's pembroke. I'd guess pem/pom.

In the first pic the face/ear tufts look really Sheltie, but in the second it does look a bit more Corgi. But it still has a petite-ness to it. So I say all three. :colbert:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 19, 2012

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
PAWS told us Aussie cattle dog / Husky, and the vet guessed ACD/Pitbull. She's a sweetheart either way.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Her markings are Merle, not ticked like a cattle dog's. I say Australian shepherd/pit bull mix. Super cute. :3:

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011

My friend sent me a new picture of her pup. She's about 2 years old and just around 40 lbs, she said.

DracoArgentum fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 19, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

She looks just like an Australian shepherd/husky/pit bull that my friend is fostering right now. She's super beautiful!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

DracoArgentum posted:

My friend sent me a new picture of her pup. She's about 2 years old and just around 40 lbs, she said.

Pit bull/hound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

jgrrr posted:

Your dog looks a hell of a lot like mine. I think mine might be a little bit bigger and we suspected he is boxer/pit although husky/pit apparently isn't that far of a stretch. Check my postings at the top of this page if you didn't see them. You may not agree based on my pictures but trust me when I say they look drat near identical based on your pictures.