Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Also if you're open league rushing with us get your team ready soon. I just entered a different team into a league and there's only 7 spots remaining. I think we'll be able to jump on a new league tomorrow for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Devo posted:

I don't really want to waste him in round 1!

You don't get to use him in round 2 if you don't make it to round 2.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

You don't get to use him in round 2 if you don't make it to round 2.

Touche. I'm pretty confident in my first round matchup though. I just thought it was weird that Addie "always at 99% or better" Joss seemed so slow to recover stamina. Of course this is my first TOC so I don't know any better anyway.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Just threw together some lovely doubles team for an ol rush

King Kong probably doesn't belong but I can't resist putting him in

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
King Kong always belongs :colbert:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Other open league filled up faster than I expected so let's do this.

:siren:MLB101425:siren:

Open rush is on gogogo!

e: you really need a Twitter, toadee :/

Devo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 2, 2012

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I joined. Probably this isn't a great idea in an OL, but sometimes it seems to work...

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Devo posted:

e: you really need a Twitter, toadee :/

pfft gently caress twitter. I'm in!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

foolish_fool posted:

I joined. Probably this isn't a great idea in an OL, but sometimes it seems to work...

I just won a world series with a dinger team, so it can work! Severe lack of '79 Kong there though.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Still 9 spots left in that open league if anyone wants to put together a last minute team.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

My OL team is a bunch of super high contact % dudes (90%+ and often 95%+) in hilltop. My theory is that people who put the ball in play more for their outs will see a greater boost from park + effects, and therefore will become unstoppable super monsters in high + parks. In practice I am going to get crushed.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I've joined just to try out a different brand of team as well. I expect to lose many games, but I want to see how far a team IsoD of .163 gets me. Everyone has 22+ BB/100.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Up 3 runs in game 4 of the world series with my best reliever at 100% and I can't record a loving out. Now I'm down 3-1 in the series. I hate this game sometimes.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
17 straight wins in GW1, my team has gone from a whole bunch of games back to 5 up.

No sleep til Oakland.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I think I'm going to have fun with this team

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

http://www.whatifsports.com/user/profile/?user=trenchfoot

I'm a hall of famer now, hooray

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

'grats dude!

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
grats, MBU

Anyone wanna join this theme league with me?
http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=18&TopicID=457125&page=-1&TopicsTimeframe=30#postBox

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I already did an all Ohio-born player team awhile back. It owned.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Did I make some grievous error picking the Astrodome here? Almost every one of my hitters is playing worse than their worst performance history 20 games into the season. I have scored 27 runs and am in the middle of a 12 game losing streak. This was supposed to be a pitching heavy team and my ERA is in the top 5, but when I get shut out every game it doesn't matter.

Yeah it's a gimmick all 1968 team but I still expected to compete. Did I gently caress this one up or is this just really bad luck/matchups?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

20 games into the season

Get back to us in a few weeks.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Update: After scoring 4 runs in the last two games my team OPS is up to .504
Rick Monday is the only position player with an OPS over .800
or .700, or .600
Denny McClain is now 0-7 and the team is riding a L14.

AlleyViper posted:

Get back to us in a few weeks.

I don't know if I'll be checking this team still in a few weeks :smith:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Looks like Hometown is only going to have one opening if anyone is looking to pick up another team in a world that's going to roll over fast.

NL West franchise

This has been a decent team but I haven't gone through the contracts or anything to see if it's on a major downswing.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

This has been a decent team but I haven't gone through the contracts or anything to see if it's on a major downswing.

I think it looks in pretty good shape, the previous owner seems to know what he's doing. Guys were held back for arb properly, judicious use of team options, etc.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Jesus Alonso owns he's WMP as a catcher

.319/.336/.672, 12 homers through 31 games. Also throwing out 44% of runners.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Sooooo, when are we starting season 20...?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
behold the greatest rookie effort ever: http://whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerstats.asp?teamid=1139561

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Dear god, what is his payroll at now?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So I've been playing HBD for a while now but there's still some things that I don't know. Like what the hell a bench coach actually does and if they're actually worth spending money on.

This guy wants a raise to $2MM to be my ML bench coach. He's got nice stats for a bench coach I guess; a real good strategy rating and a good hit rating with no single digit numbers. But I guess the question is if I should even bother or just spend like $750k on some leftover.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
I don't really know, but it seems like most people spend at least that on the bench coach, fwiw.

I love that this guy got taken 357th in a draft: http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/ProspectProfile.aspx?pid=5094539 World's first 9th inning, close game pinch hitter.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

AlleyViper posted:

Dear god, what is his payroll at now?

also

quote:

trade anybodoy for joss addieor ox miller

i almost feel bad

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, uh, I was going to get the S20 thread up in the next couple of days...but the motherboard on my laptop went and died last night. Sooooo, things are back on hold until I get my computer situation sorted out.

In related news, if anyone wants to make any laptop recommendations, I'm all ears.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Macbook Air.

This 5x5 WISC league is driving me loving nuts. I've probably been through 30 or 40 configurations already and I've barely found any that even fit, let alone good ones.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress Apple.

I'm not thrilled with my 5x5 team but I like it well enough that I'm okay running with it and not fretting any more over more builds.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Maybe someone could make an interim thread with the general rules so we're not all just idling here and then we can update the OP when everything is back up.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

AlleyViper posted:

gently caress Apple.

I'm not thrilled with my 5x5 team but I like it well enough that I'm okay running with it and not fretting any more over more builds.

Acer ThinkPad if you gotta go PC.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

You realize though, that an Apple is just a really well built PC. You can just run Windows on it and everything.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This next week is my final week of classes for the summer. I then have four weeks off with no commitments whatsoever. I wanted to try and get the S20 thread up this weekend but with that in mind I think I'm just going to wait until after next week wraps up, and just focus entirely this week on school. If I find some down time between now and then I'll put it up but know that it is on the very, very near horizon.

In other news, I'm pretty happy with my early track record here.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

insane gimmick teams: highly recommended

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm up against rbow923 in the finals of a TOC. My final four series was insane.

I lost games 1 and 2 at home so I had to pull out my Milacki for this game 4. I managed to squeeze out a win in game 5 away and won a solid game 6 at home. So this is game 7. I won't even be that upset if I lose in the finals; I probably shouldn't even be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Devo, trying your left-handed team in Robison Park again, this time with a 120 mil budget and built pitching first. They're DEALING right now, but it's very, very early.

I wish I could have Pops Stargell and Mickey Mantle on every team :allears:

• Locked thread