Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Ah... interesting. I've been needing something like this as well. I've just been using this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pt.bbarao.nightmode

I know that if you have Cyanogenmod, there's an option in the Render FX (I don't know what it is exactly) that lets you change the color of the screen to stuff like that in the Lux application. Neat and very useful stuff. In the meantime, I just wear Gunnar Optiks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
Yeah personally I don't like any of those crazy color tinted settings. I just use screen filter to make it darker than minimum because my gs3 screen is still way too bright at minimum when I'm using it in bed at night Also it saves battery on AMOLED screens.

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Ah... interesting. I've been needing something like this as well. I've just been using this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pt.bbarao.nightmode

I know that if you have Cyanogenmod, there's an option in the Render FX (I don't know what it is exactly) that lets you change the color of the screen to stuff like that in the Lux application. Neat and very useful stuff. In the meantime, I just wear Gunnar Optiks.

Juice Defender Ultimate also can adjust the color temperature at night, and change the brightness response curve of auto brightness.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Thank you sir. I'll play with this and see if I can make it more my liking.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Nice. I'm going to give this a shot.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just got a preview of CM10 installed on my old Captivate. This butter thing is legit.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

nimper posted:

Just got a preview of CM10 installed on my old Captivate. This butter thing is legit.
The Vision/G2 devs have a working version of the latest kernel and JB running now. Hopefully we can get a decent-to-good JB sometime soon. My upgrade itch is getting bad and the longer I put it off, the better. :)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Manky posted:

Not to beat a dead horse, but one of the things I like about Brightness Manager - even though I'm running CM9 - is that it's really easy to set up. Tap on the notification icon, set the screen brightness to where you want it in your current environment, and it remembers both that setting and pretty quickly learns to extrapolate and set a perfect curve.

This app sounds intriguing. However, I'd like to know if running this will cause any system changes that could impact my ability to install OTAs in the future.

Running rooted stock Jelly Bean, and I don't want to have to reflash stock images before getting the next OTA.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Gyshall posted:

Nice. I'm going to give this a shot.

Update - I can't even get this thing to work.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm doing a clean wipe/reinstall. Is there a good mirror of the ICS G-apps (April 29) anywhere? Goo.im is down, and from searching Twitter it appears to have been that way for a good while.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

I'm doing a clean wipe/reinstall. Is there a good mirror of the ICS G-apps (April 29) anywhere? Goo.im is down, and from searching Twitter it appears to have been that way for a good while.

Maybe one of the two at the bottom here?
http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/

These links are used as mirrors on the CM wiki so the source should be reliable, but I can't guarantee which file you actually want since the wiki page doesn't have anything from the date you mention.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

anakha posted:

This app sounds intriguing. However, I'd like to know if running this will cause any system changes that could impact my ability to install OTAs in the future.

Running rooted stock Jelly Bean, and I don't want to have to reflash stock images before getting the next OTA.

There's an option in the app to unpatch your device, so I would imagine that as long as you remembered to do that there should be no chance of trouble. That said, I have no personal experience to back that up, so your caution is well-warranted.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I'm looking to sell my Samsung galaxy S. It's runnin ICS (Dark Knight 4.0.4).
What is the best and easiest way to erase data on the phone? Do I need to restore to an original rom? Or can I keep the current custom rom and erase all data?

I know there's a Factory data reset in settings but I'm not sure what that does to a custom rom.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

iLikeMidgets posted:

I'm looking to sell my Samsung galaxy S. It's runnin ICS (Dark Knight 4.0.4).
What is the best and easiest way to erase data on the phone? Do I need to restore to an original rom? Or can I keep the current custom rom and erase all data?

I know there's a Factory data reset in settings but I'm not sure what that does to a custom rom.

Factory reset will delete all user-installed apps and any stored information on the internal memory. It does not clear out the "sd card" portion of the phone's storage-- you will need to clear that yourself.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

nimper posted:

Factory reset will delete all user-installed apps and any stored information on the internal memory. It does not clear out the "sd card" portion of the phone's storage-- you will need to clear that yourself.

Thats great. Thanks for the info.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

iLikeMidgets posted:

I'm looking to sell my Samsung galaxy S.
If you know the buyer is savvy and wants to load a custom ROM on it anyways then it doesn't really matter. But if you don't know that I would definitely restore a stock ROM on there since there's nothing shittier than someone who doesn't know anything about phones getting a custom ROMed phone which causes them nothing but grief.

Just Odin up the latest stock tar for the device and do a "Factory data reset" in (stock) recovery afterwards.

If you're concerned about trace personal data that might be left on the device, I'd also wipe/format the internal SD card, then write a huge-rear end file to it to zero out all the data blocks, then delete the file. In adb that would be:
code:
adb shell "dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/foo bs=262144; rm /sdcard/foo"

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

nimper posted:

Oh nice. I may need to give this a try later. Run into any issues?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Red Warrior posted:

Oh nice. I may need to give this a try later. Run into any issues?

Everything seems to be working fine, including voice search on Google Now.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you know the buyer is savvy and wants to load a custom ROM on it anyways then it doesn't really matter. But if you don't know that I would definitely restore a stock ROM on there since there's nothing shittier than someone who doesn't know anything about phones getting a custom ROMed phone which causes them nothing but grief.

Just Odin up the latest stock tar for the device and do a "Factory data reset" in (stock) recovery afterwards.

What if the stock rom version is older than the current rom?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Crosspost:
I'm on Liquid Smooth 3.2 on an HTC Tbolt and I installed Swype just fine, activated it in keyboard, and yet I still have the lovely default keyboard. Is this a new Swype bug or a problem with my ROM or what? Anyone have a similar problem?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

iLikeMidgets posted:

What if the stock rom version is older than the current rom?
If you mean "what if the stock ROM tar is older than the current official ROM?" Then the device should OTA update on the first boot. If for some reason the latest official ROM was only released over Kies, you should be able to download it, but it might not be worth the trouble. It's still a stock ROM, let them deal with the rest.

If you mean "what if the stock ROM is older than source-based custom ROM I'm running?" Tough poo poo.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Anyone with a Verizon Gnex have a suggestion for the best rom/kernel for battery life?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm using Bugless Beast 4.1.1 (JellyBean) and I get about 15-16 hours with the Extended Battery.

Before, on ICS, I used the latest AOKP and Franco Kernel milestone 4 and got about the same.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 16, 2012

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

az jan jananam posted:

Anyone with a Verizon Gnex have a suggestion for the best rom/kernel for battery life?

I'm having pretty good luck with Bugless Beast on JB. He packs a kernel in with his releases. Unless I go crazy with screen on time, I generally get through the day easily.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

az jan jananam posted:

Vanirbean with Francokernel. I use Juicedefender though and its a life saver.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

az jan jananam posted:

I'm using Jellybelly with the linaro kernel.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, preview of JB for the T-989. What is the current JB Gapps? I am Googling for a link and I keep getting led to a broken Mediafire page.

Edit: Found it, http://goo.im/devs/teameos/roms/eos3/gapps

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 16, 2012

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Has anyone here had any luck getting a patched bootloader and thor's CWM loaded on the Acer Iconia A500? blackthund3r's APX tool and AfterOTA don't loving work at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, found out how to do it via command line. CM9 here I come :buddy:

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 17, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Whoa, I'm reading that you can flash a radio to the i717 Galaxy Note and give it full access to T-Mobile's HDSPA+ network? Does that actually work without a hitch, assuming I unlock the phone?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I just rooted my Kindle Fire, installed Jelly Bean, and have started downloading apps.

I can't seem to install the Kindle app though. Anyone know why?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
That's a weird one. Maybe try installing the Amazon App Store then install the Kindle App through that?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I got the menotek MHL adapter and the converter tip for my samsung galaxy s3 the regular cable does not work with most current gen phones. However I plugged this into my samsung tv which detected the device but displayed a blank screen. I plugged it into my LG tv and it detected nothing. Anyone have success with the non samsung MHL adapter with the galaxy s3?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EPL-FU10BEBSTA-HDTV-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0089VO86Y
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F9W6DU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_dp_1

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

madkapitolist posted:

I got the menotek MHL adapter and the converter tip for my samsung galaxy s3 the regular cable does not work with most current gen phones. However I plugged this into my samsung tv which detected the device but displayed a blank screen. I plugged it into my LG tv and it detected nothing. Anyone have success with the non samsung MHL adapter with the galaxy s3?

I felt really stupid the first time that I used an MHL Adapter with my buddy's Galaxy Nexus. Then after stared at the drat thing long enough and found my solution. Make sure you have a MicroUSB cable on hand to use as a power supply for the adapter.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Looks like all kinds of roms are starting to pop up on XDA for the S3. Really liking the different opportunities.

I'm new to the rooting biz and well frankly Android in general, S3 is my first Android phone, had an iPhone for 4 years.

Are there any issues to flashing custom roms frequently? I found it so easy to do as long as they don't have any major issues I've been checking them out.

Also is there a more efficient method of restoring apps and their data than making a Titanium backup and restoring from it each time?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Disappointing Pie posted:

Also is there a more efficient method of restoring apps and their data than making a Titanium backup and restoring from it each time?

If you have Titanium Backup Pro you can do a batch backup/restore of all your apps and data. I assume you are still using the free version.

Titanium Pro can also restore apps from any nandroid backups (nandroid is a system backup, accessible in recovery).

nimper fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 17, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was going to follow the guide here to tacoroot my Incredible 2 however, the download link for the .0312 radio does not seem to work (and I don't really understand what the radios are for anyway).. Does anyone have an alternate link for me to download this radio, or know an alternative method/radio I can use?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

I felt really stupid the first time that I used an MHL Adapter with my buddy's Galaxy Nexus. Then after stared at the drat thing long enough and found my solution. Make sure you have a MicroUSB cable on hand to use as a power supply for the adapter.

;) yes that was my first mistake as well. I have the adapter plugged into the wall but still just a blank screen even though it does detect a device!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I didn't install the 4.1.1 update on my Nexus 7 before I unlocked/rooted/installed CWR :gonk:

Is there any other way (short of me waiting for a ROM) to install 4.1.1? I get the "system update" notification, but everytime I go to install it, it just boots into CWR and fails (as expected). I'm guessing I would need to restore stock recovery, install the update, flash back to CWR, and possibly re-root?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BoyBlunder posted:

I didn't install the 4.1.1 update on my Nexus 7 before I unlocked/rooted/installed CWR :gonk:

Is there any other way (short of me waiting for a ROM) to install 4.1.1? I get the "system update" notification, but everytime I go to install it, it just boots into CWR and fails (as expected). I'm guessing I would need to restore stock recovery, install the update, flash back to CWR, and possibly re-root?

Either that or flash a rooted 4.1.1 build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Either that or flash a rooted 4.1.1 build.

drat that's what I expected (but didn't want to) hear.