Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Why wouldn't Android use Chrome as the main browser? The stock browser is fine but chrome works really well and syncs up with desktop Chrome. It seems really weird that they segmented it.

A) Because Chrome was in beta until just a few weeks ago. It wasn't stable enough to be the default in time to be baked into Jelly Bean. Even now that it's out of beta, it's still too unstable to bake into the default builds. They're still talking about how to handle addons and other features that Android Chrome is missing and I expect the UI to be reworked at least once.

B) Because the default browser is built with ICS/JB themes in mind, and is more bare bones, so it's a cleaner solution to be the default. Chrome is styled closer to the Desktop chrome, and kind of breaks the Android conventions in an effort to follow the Chrome mindset in that Chrome is the same on every platform. It makes sense to have a quick, easy to use, bare bones browser as the default.

However, despite B I totally expect the next version of Android to have Chrome as the default. In the next 6 months Chrome should be polished off enough to be a good default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Why wouldn't Android use Chrome as the main browser? The stock browser is fine but chrome works really well and syncs up with desktop Chrome. It seems really weird that they segmented it.

They're going to in future versions of Android.

VVV This exactly

Manky fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 16, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was under the impression that Jelly Bean devices (Nexus 7) come with Chrome stock, but devices updated from Ice Cream Sandwich will have both. For consistency/choice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

torjus posted:

You can control this by setting updates to manual in Latitude and use Backitude for the actual updating.

Jensen posted:

Report back if this is a better solution than Glympse.

Thermopyle posted:

Well, I can already tell you that it increases accuracy of Latitude to about perfect. You can set it to update Latitude every X minutes with GPS, network, or WiFi-based location with different settings depending upon whether you're charging or not.

I drove around quite a bit today, and my location on Latitude was much more accurate and up-to-date. No noticeable battery impact.

There's a lot of settings you can configure in Backitude.

So, this app gets a thumbs-up from me.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's Android PDF support like? Is there native support for viewing files? And are there any PDF apps out there that will bookmark the last page I read so I can reopen a document at a later date to resume reading from where I left off?

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.
I'm looking into something like Emit for streaming videos from my desktop to my tablet, but can Emit stream DVDs at all? To stream a DVD from my desktop's drive and watch it on my tablet seems like it would be much harder to do, and I can't see any option or work around for it in Emit. Any apps that can do this?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Crosspost:
I'm on Liquid Smooth 3.2 on an HTC Tbolt and I installed Swype just fine, activated it in keyboard, and yet I still have the lovely default keyboard. Is this a new Swype bug or a problem with my ROM or what? Anyone have a similar problem?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Fuzz posted:

Crosspost:
I'm on Liquid Smooth 3.2 on an HTC Tbolt and I installed Swype just fine, activated it in keyboard, and yet I still have the lovely default keyboard. Is this a new Swype bug or a problem with my ROM or what? Anyone have a similar problem?
After activating it, you have to select it. On Ice Cream Sandwich and later, you do this through the notification that appears when the keyboard is up. On Gingerbread and below, do this by long-pressing on the input box.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
My gf tried to download an image from the Facebook app. It's stuck in the notification shade, constantly trying to download. I've tried force stopping FB, rebooting, battery pull.. No luck, can't get it to stop. Any suggestions?

It's a rooted VZW GNex on 4.0.4 if it makes any difference.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm looking for a super basic note taking/todo list application, All I want is a 2x2 - 3x3 widget that I can tap and type some poo poo on... Any free suggestions that don't require any silly account sign ups or anything.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 17, 2012

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Rye Bread posted:

My gf tried to download an image from the Facebook app. It's stuck in the notification shade, constantly trying to download.

Have you tried the Downloads app?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I use Todo.txt for that. Not sure if there is anything better.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Grim Up North posted:

Have you tried the Downloads app?

Just tried force stopping that. Still stuck up there.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Aatrek posted:

TweetDeck hasn't been updated in like a year. I need a Twitter/Facebook app that displays both feeds in a combined timeline. Anything out there?

Plume is close to what you are looking for.
It may not be combined, but it is side by side; that's assuming you mean tweets and posts are mixed in together in one column.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm looking for a super basic note taking/todo list application, All I want is a 2x2 - 3x3 widget that I can tap and type some poo poo on... Any free suggestions that don't require any silly account sign ups or anything.

If you want it as a widget, you could use ColorNote. That just lets you put 2x2 sticky notes on your homescreen you can tap to edit.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Karthe posted:

What's Android PDF support like? Is there native support for viewing files? And are there any PDF apps out there that will bookmark the last page I read so I can reopen a document at a later date to resume reading from where I left off?

It's fine.

I use EZ PDF Reader and, if I can remember correctly, it should bring you back to where you read last time the next time you open it up.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

MikeJF posted:

If you want it as a widget, you could use ColorNote. That just lets you put 2x2 sticky notes on your homescreen you can tap to edit.

Looks simple enough for my requirements, I'll give it a try thanks.

VVV Thanks for that suggestion too, I've given both a quick look and Tasks looks more like what I was thinking of at a glance. Thanks all.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 17, 2012

eig
Oct 16, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

I just found Tasks, which uses Google Tasks (though it's not official???) It might work without your google account, not sure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.teamtasks.tasks

Otherwise, I liked OnePunch Notes

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

eig posted:

I just found Tasks, which uses Google Tasks (though it's not official???) It might work without your google account, not sure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.teamtasks.tasks

Otherwise, I liked OnePunch Notes

I like Tasks, it does indeed sync with your Google account. Some people complain about lacking features but I've had no complaints - it lets me make a few different lists, then add stuff to them. And it has a nice widget.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

MeKeV posted:

Ok I've just sent an email from the Gmail app, after I hit send I notice one of the words is underlined. I checked the email through the Gmail.com site in the browser to check it wasn't just a screen/app glitch, but it's there too.

I've no idea how it happened and I really wish it hadn't!

How do I make sure it doesn't happen again.

Has noone else come across this in the gmail app then?

I'm completely stumped by it. I guess I'll just have to hope it was a glitch of some sort and it won't happen again.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Thermopyle posted:

I drove around quite a bit today, and my location on Latitude was much more accurate and up-to-date. No noticeable battery impact.

Good to hear. It's also worth mentioning that it caches location data if you don't have an active data connection and uploads them in bulk when you're back online.

I've set it to give rapid updates when I'm charging so I get lots of data from when I'm driving around with the phone charging in my car.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

How exactly does one set up Backitude?

It seems really complex if you let it be but I'd just like it to pool up my location data and upload it once I'm on Wi-Fi. I'd also like it to be very accurate and up to date as well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

How exactly does one set up Backitude?

It seems really complex if you let it be but I'd just like it to pool up my location data and upload it once I'm on Wi-Fi. I'd also like it to be very accurate and up to date as well.

I just went through the options and it seems reasonably clear, took about five minutes. Specifically for what you are asking:

Settings -> Standard-Mode Settings:
Time Inverval Options: [Your preference]
Location Polling Timeout [Your preference, 15sec seems to work for me]

Settings -> Offline Storage Settings:
Offline Storage: Enabled
Sync Options: Wi-Fi available only

Advanced Settings:
Set Priority: [Your preference]
Wake Lock enabled: True
Wi-Fi Lock enabled: True
(These will let you phone sync on WiFi when the screen is off.)

That should be enough to get you started and from there you can mess with the other settings and see what works for you.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Is anyone using Swiftkey 3 and Jelly Bean (4.1.1) constantly getting notifications to select an input method?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I got Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus yesterday and now my phone no longer appears as a selection on the online Google Play store.

I can still get apps and app updates from the Play store app on my phone. But I actually liked the "install from pc" part of the online Play Store.

Anyone know how to refresh or resync phones/devices on the store?

edit: Nevermind. It appears you need to download an app from your Play app before it syncs properly with the online store after installing a new version of the OS. Weird.

beerinator fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 17, 2012

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

beerinator posted:

I got Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus yesterday and now my phone no longer appears as a selection on the online Google Play store.

I can still get apps and app updates from the Play store app on my phone. But I actually liked the "install from pc" part of the online Play Store.

Anyone know how to refresh or resync phones/devices on the store?

edit: Nevermind. It appears you need to download an app from your Play app before it syncs properly with the online store after installing a new version of the OS. Weird.

Did you get JB by deleting the google framework data? Because that might be the cause of it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Is anyone using Swiftkey 3 and Jelly Bean (4.1.1) constantly getting notifications to select an input method?
Yes, everyone is. That's the way you change input methods in 4.x.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone know how to make the Play Music app update album art? I went through my music library on my phone (HTC OneXL) and updated a shitload using MediaMonkey, rebooted the phone after I was done and fired up the app, and then tried playing one of the albums I updated. It's art changed, but none of the others I did seem to have picked up the new artwork. Anyone way to force a library refresh/rescan? The artworks are all named and placed in the folders correctly, but no dice it seems.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Yes, everyone is. That's the way you change input methods in 4.x.

Yes, but every single time I open up a text entry field, the notification shows up. If that's an intentional "feature," it's terrible.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lawnie posted:

Yes, but every single time I open up a text entry field, the notification shows up. If that's an intentional "feature," it's terrible.

Yes, that is how it works, because long-pressing is too unintuitive for most people.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Some ROMs (AOKP, at least. Probably others) can get rid of that notification.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lawnie posted:

Its there when you're typing and not there when you're not. It makes it obvious what you should do to change input methods.

What's so terrible about it?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is there a Remote Desktop app that is preferred? Looking to run it on my N7. Hopefully something that can send basic commands to a terminal instead of me needing to constantly zoom in and out, etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there a Remote Desktop app that is preferred? Looking to run it on my N7. Hopefully something that can send basic commands to a terminal instead of me needing to constantly zoom in and out, etc.

Wyse PocketCloud is decent.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Its there when you're typing and not there when you're not. It makes it obvious what you should do to change input methods.

What's so terrible about it?

Sometimes it hangs around. If I finish composing something, occasionally that notification won't go away when I lock my phone again. It just seems like a crappy ui decision when the notification bar should be notifying you of things, rather than asking for input constantly.

I suppose it's more intuitive for your average Android user that doesn't have the faintest idea of how to customize their phone to their liking, but it bothers me. Then again, I'd rather be stuck with that notification and be able to change the quick launch apps on my RAZR lock screen.

I have a question too, I guess. On the Kindle app, you can long press a word and it will bring up a dictionary definition for you. Is there an app that will expand this functionality to other apps? I'd find it incredibly useful, even if it required me to click an icon in the copy/paste bar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Sometimes it hangs around. If I finish composing something, occasionally that notification won't go away when I lock my phone again. It just seems like a crappy ui decision when the notification bar should be notifying you of things, rather than asking for input constantly.

I haven't had it stick around, but that is a lovely thing.

It's not asking you to do anything, it's telling you can change something if you want to.

Whatever, different strokes and all that.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it
Question for gentle alarm users, is there any way to get rid of the gentle alarm notification that always shows up in the notification list? I don't really need to be reminded that my alarm is set all the time. I'm using the free version, is that a paid feature?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Wyse PocketCloud is decent.

Is that the one that requires a client installed on the server?

Maybe I'm thinking about TeamViewer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

snowman posted:

Question for gentle alarm users, is there any way to get rid of the gentle alarm notification that always shows up in the notification list? I don't really need to be reminded that my alarm is set all the time. I'm using the free version, is that a paid feature?
Three dots->Settings->Other preferences->Notifications->No indication in status bar at all

I have the paid version, so I'm not sure if you can do it on the free version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Three dots->Settings->Other preferences->Notifications->No indication in status bar at all

I have the paid version, so I'm not sure if you can do it on the free version.

Thanks! Works in the free version. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of VZW's persistent wifi notification and it'll be golden.

• Locked thread