Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

K8.0 posted:

That reminds me, along with the idiotic idea of a game mechanic designed to replicate the most annoying thing in life, hopefully they get rid of the idea of choices in GTA5. It's such a bad idea in a GTA game. A big part of the long-term draw is acquiring everything, and you can't do that if the game forces you to choose between things.

The choices in this game were all really obvious about what was correct to make though. Kill Playboy X, take his poo poo, go for revenge on the guy so Roman lives and you still have the Taxi service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So GTAIV is a little slow for my tastes, but things are speeding up and getting interesting. My initial qualms with Liberty City have been overturned. The massive amount of detail in the city is amazing. Random people running from cops, prostitutes being picked up by guys in fancy cars, vendors on the streets and people talking about the strangest random stuff, hobos in alleyways huddled over a burning barrel..This is one of the very few open world games I slow down and actually roam in, because there seems to be a lot in store. I just really love the amount of detail put into everything. I was amazed to see how much stuff there is in on the Net Cafe computers. They just really went all out.

On a less positive note, I wish cars would handle a bit better. Most of them, save for the smaller sports cars, drive like they're 4 tons of bar soap. That and this doesn't play maxed on a machine that can play BF3 maxed. But it looks pretty enough on the auto-detected settings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you have a quad core? GTAIV really needs multiple cores to work right.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah. i7 930, HD5870 graphics card. I heard it varies wildly for everyone.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

K8.0 posted:

That reminds me, along with the idiotic idea of a game mechanic designed to replicate the most annoying thing in life, hopefully they get rid of the idea of choices in GTA5. It's such a bad idea in a GTA game. A big part of the long-term draw is acquiring everything, and you can't do that if the game forces you to choose between things.
You think real life friends are annoying?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I wish that if they did implement the friend system again that they would have a chance that friends be able to pick you up for mini games or bar stuff. They'll swing by in their vehicles and they can take you on a ride like a taxi.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Zedicus Mann posted:

You think real life friends are annoying?

He probably means cell phones.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Croccers posted:

Dwayne was depressing but his back-up is generally amusing to call in. Under-used feature there.

I felt HORRIBLE after I didn't answer one of his phone calls, and he was all "Oh...hey...I, uh, I thought I heard you calling. If it was you, sorry, I was away from my phone... Anyway...maybe we could...Illtalktoyoulater :sigh:. *click*"

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

crazysim posted:

I wish that if they did implement the friend system again that they would have a chance that friends be able to pick you up for mini games or bar stuff. They'll swing by in their vehicles and they can take you on a ride like a taxi.
And then even if you didn't hang out with them you'd get a tiny bonus just for acknowledging them.

Angry Boat posted:

He probably means cell phones.
...and you can always turn those off, but nobody seems to know that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd have liked the friend activities a lot more if you didn't have to physically drive all the way to pick them up, to the activity and to drop them off, and if they'd moved the driving dialogue to during the activity or at least had some customized banter. In my mind it goes, Jacob calls and wants to go play darts, you say yeah sure, fade directly to Niko and Jacob in the darts location of whatever island Niko was just on, and while they play they talk about Roman's gambling problems instead of being silent at each other like a blind date that isn't working out. Any car you were in is parked outside, and can you drive him home or call a cab for him. If you do give him a ride and your relationship is good he invites you up for coffee. Soft music starts playing as the Serbian ex-soldier and the Jamaican arms dealer are suddenly overcome with mad passion, strangers in a city that would chew each of them up and spit them out if they were here on their own, but through some coincidence they've found each other. Life is short in their trade. They may have just this one night.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd have liked the friend activities a lot more if you didn't have to physically drive all the way to pick them up, to the activity and to drop them off, and if they'd moved the driving dialogue to during the activity or at least had some customized banter. In my mind it goes, Jacob calls and wants to go play darts, you say yeah sure, fade directly to Niko and Jacob in the darts location of whatever island Niko was just on, and while they play they talk about Roman's gambling problems instead of being silent at each other like a blind date that isn't working out. Any car you were in is parked outside, and can you drive him home or call a cab for him. If you do give him a ride and your relationship is good he invites you up for coffee. Soft music starts playing as the Serbian ex-soldier and the Jamaican arms dealer are suddenly overcome with mad passion, strangers in a city that would chew each of them up and spit them out if they were here on their own, but through some coincidence they've found each other. Life is short in their trade. They may have just this one night.

Yeah, it always made my mind boggle that they forced you to stop what you were doing, drive across the city, pick up your friend, drive them to the venue, then play the mini-game you were interested in, then drive them home again. Super exciting gameplay!

It would've been a shitload better if you could meet them at the venue (either at a set time or whenever), then have the option of driving them home for bonus +rep. But I have a feeling that the man-date minigame is going to join "eating and going to the gym" on the scrapheap of GTA history.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
No REAL news yet, but Rockstar recently tackled GTA V in the "asked and answered" section. Oh yeah: they posted two new sceenshots too!

http://m.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/36881/asked-answered-max-payne-3-and-grand-theft-auto-v.html

They also mention that they have no plans to bring GTA 3 or GTA VC to the Xbox Live Marketplace which is too bad because I thought there would be the possibility of an HD release like the iDevices and Androids saw.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

It would've been a shitload better if you could meet them at the venue (either at a set time or whenever), then have the option of driving them home for bonus +rep. But I have a feeling that the man-date minigame is going to join "eating and going to the gym" on the scrapheap of GTA history.

Hopefully they just change it to the way it worked in Ballad of Gay Tony. They only called you for mission important stuff but you had the option of hanging out with them. Seems a fair enough compromise.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Hopefully they just change it to the way it worked in Ballad of Gay Tony. They only called you for mission important stuff but you had the option of hanging out with them. Seems a fair enough compromise.

No, your buddies would call you and tell you to hang out with them just like your other friends in the GTA4 games. They did tone down the frequency of the calls however.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'm hoping instead of getting a bunch of calls all the time we get to follow our friends on Twitter and Like their Facebook posts. And we'd lose rep for not saying "happy birthday" on their birthdays.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I will be shocked if there isn't something called Twatter

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I would subscribe to Brucies twitter so drat fast

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

ElwoodCuse posted:

I will be shocked if there isn't something called Twatter

They already had "Bleeter" in TBOGT. Sorry :/

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

In other news, all GTA games are discounted today on Steam

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You guys do know that you can take a taxi ride to your friend and then to the place you want to go in IV right? You don't have to actually drive and once you're like 1/3 of the way through the game you have plenty of money for it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Zedicus Mann posted:

That's really tempting even if I never play any of them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Zedicus Mann posted:

I've passed on that same deal last year since I already own the discs of everything, but it's almost worth it just as a backup. Plus it'd make for fun lan play years from now when a secondary pc will be fast enough to run gta4. Hell I still play gta2 on a lan sometimes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That's... incredibly tempting. I had heard though that the Steam version of San Andreas doesn't play well with mods. Is that true?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

That's... incredibly tempting. I had heard though that the Steam version of San Andreas doesn't play well with mods. Is that true?
Yeah, they don't want you to mod your way to the Hot Coffee Minigame.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Pablo Gigante posted:

You can replace the .exe in the steamapps folder with a cracked one intended to re-enable modding and it will work fine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Install Gentoo posted:

You guys do know that you can take a taxi ride to your friend and then to the place you want to go in IV right? You don't have to actually drive and once you're like 1/3 of the way through the game you have plenty of money for it.
People seem to have a hard time figuring out fast-travel with Rockstar games. One of my coworkers bitched at me about how long it took to go anywhere in RDR, having never realized he could set up a campfire and fast-travel. I guess me mashed A while that short cutscene explaining campfires went by.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Had a whole bunch of mates link me this in the last 10 minutes:

Too suss in my books. Vice is in there. Just the size of Los Santos and one county would be more than enough detail. The border. The minimap legend (Hell, it has Sweet and Big Smoke, but I can see the logos themselves on the map. That's just the least of the suspicious stuff really, could go on.
Does look pretty though, interesting to look at. Early SA map?

Croccers fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 17, 2012

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Looks like a fan thing to me, like an attempt to put all the PS2 era GTA cities onto a map with soundalike names for made up places in between.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It has a swastika on it, that is enough to know it is fake.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Obviously a crazy fake and there will only be one city in GTAV, but I'm still hopeful for a pretty substantial countryside with at least a small town or two.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I wonder how they'll split up the map into three progressively unlocked zones. It was easy for III/IV and Vice City, real life NYC area provides ready set of three areas separated by water and Vice City is basically just Miami Beach - Islands in between - Miami itself.

San Andreas didn't have to split up Los Santos because you instead unlocked additional cities throughout the game, separated by the waterways and all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I know they split the map up so you don't get overwhelmed, but if you are seriously going into the GTA series at 5, you're on your own. Just have the entire map be open, there doesn't need to coincidentally be a disaster. They have GPS now, if you get lost you just click on where you want to go and the game shows you how to get there.

Though they'll probably have some kind of manhunt or something happens and there's roadblocks preventing you from leaving Los Santos or something. Seems like this new character is already somewhat of a big shot, there's no reason for him to be stuck in a tiny area of a city he's already raised a family in.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the idea of splitting up the map is supposed to be a reward system that keeps the game interesting, so no, they'll probably keep it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Coolodile posted:

I think the idea of splitting up the map is supposed to be a reward system that keeps the game interesting, so no, they'll probably keep it.

I imagine they'll keep it since it was in RDR. I do have a question though, if you had episodes from liberty city without having gta4 installed, was everything open from the beginning on those? I know you start off on the other islands so I'm assuming it was. I guess they just figured everyone had played through gta4 by that point?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
That map looks kinda cool but Vice City is in there :laffo:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

I know they split the map up so you don't get overwhelmed

Well no they split the maps up in every GTA game in order that you can't do things earlier than they want., not because people will be overwhelmed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What exactly can you do early that you can't do on the first island? Taxis, firetruck, ambulance, hidden packages, insane stunts? All of those are on the first island. Missions and minigames don't show up until you unlock them. There's nothing else to do early besides drive around the game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Having the whole place open at the start has worked for all three Saints Row games. And the True Crime games. And Just Cause 2.
Maybe instead of lying the more powerful weapons around on the ground in the later islands to unlock, you just have more places to buy them from? Then you can control that at least. Other than that, you get to drive better cars, whee? That mechanic doesn't hold up like it did in GTA1/2 anymore.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
A GTA version of Stockton would blow my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

What exactly can you do early that you can't do on the first island?

Go to everywhere that is not the first island. Duh.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, just that it's something that's been done in nearly all previous GTA games besides like GTA: London and GTA Chinatown Wars.

• Locked thread