Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Good luck with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

fuctifino posted:

I just applied for a £3000 loan. Surprisingly they said yes, and I'm going to be buying one of these any day now:

An Eigenharp Tau

I'm basically spending 20% of my DLA disability benefits for the next 3 years on this beauty that will (hopefully) allow me to play my music again. I really miss the dynamic scope of the violin, and I've not found an instrument that comes any where near close to producing the same dynamic range that I'm able to play. I've lost a lot of strength over the years, but I still have most of my dexterity - so this instrument is perfect. I haven't spent this sort of money on an instrument since I purchased my 6 string electric violin 12-13 years ago.

The Eigenharp plus my FCB1010 and FC200 midi pedalboards should give me quite a large range of possibilities for live looping. I really loving hope that this gamble pays off.

Let us know how it goes, I've always wondered what those things were like to play.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Because blue LEDs are unbelievably bright and it probably reduces the parts cost to not have to stick a resistor in the path to reduce the surface-of-a-hotter-star-than-ours glare you can get with them if you're not careful? Just guessing, though.

If it was a cost saving then it was probably because blue LEDs are a little more expensive than red or green. They could have just ordered red, green or blue in similar brightnesses if they had wanted to.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Didn't you have a Pico at one point as well? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. An Eigenharp is like my dream instrument currently, so I too would love to hear some first hand accounts about how it plays and what it's like. They're just so drat cool.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Didn't you have a Pico at one point as well? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. An Eigenharp is like my dream instrument currently, so I too would love to hear some first hand accounts about how it plays and what it's like. They're just so drat cool.

Yeah, I got the Pico to try and win an Alpha model back in the day. It was great, but it just didn't have enough keys (16 playable) for what I needed it for. Also, the length of the model made it awkward to use the bowing feature in the cello mode. I ended up selling it to get a Korg Micropiano (which I love to bits)

Edit: Money came through. Ordered. Excited.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 17, 2012

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bump.

It arrived :) Eigenharp Tau, basic base-station and an Acer i5 8GB laptop.

I've decided to use it horizontally (I'll find a way to extend the breathpipe) and am going to build a mini rig out of it with other micro input devices like this:

Happy days :)

P.S. The Tau is loving awesome. Words cannot describe how good this beast is.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 17, 2012

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Well, it was a page or two back, but I just can't get those semi hollowbody Xaviere Les Paul copies out of my mind.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-560-SOLID-Maple-Top-Semi-Hollowbody-Alnico-P90s_c_187.html

Although I can't decide whether I want a Vintage Natural finish, Cherryburst, or Amber Sunrise. Suggestions welcome!

Anyone know if there's a way to find out what the actual blemishes are on their clearance stock? Maybe get a photo of the damage or something you can see before buying? They've got an XV 560 Sunrise up there right now for $160, and the XV 550 (same model but with worse pickups) Natural for $190. It'd be nice to know what that big drop is for considering they're both reduced for "cosmetic flaws."

About the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger right now is shipping it here to Canadia is going to practically double the price.

Ninja Edit: gently caress. So out of curiosity, I made up a fake Seattle address to check how much I could save on shipping and turns out I can get one, with a hard case, shipped to Cool Dude St for $257 all in. That's stupid I have no defense for this what are you doing to me internet :colbert:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Guitarfetish. Got to love it. You can e-mail, but generally, it's 'was played as a demo' 'the Xaviere logo is missing a letter' 'there is a four inch hair thin scratch' 'I have no loving clue I've never found a problem' 'the P90 on the bridge is put in at an angle. Fix it.'

In one case it was 'the top pickup is half dead' but that was fixable.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Casio SK-1. Super fun toy that I will be using for detuned lo-fi vocals and strange poo poo. Doesn't feel like a toy though, sturdy build, the keys are more than acceptable, comfortable smooth action. Gonna add a 1/4" output but that will be it, I like this raw and original, it's in great condition after all.

Sampling keyboard for consumers in 1985. Boggles the mind. Makes me wish I had a 1991 released Kurzweil K2000 with a sampling option again.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 19, 2012

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Waldorf MicroQ, rare keyboard version.
My 4th Waldorf yeeeeeeeeeee.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MrLonghair posted:

Casio SK-1. Super fun toy that I will be using for detuned lo-fi vocals and strange poo poo. Doesn't feel like a toy though, sturdy build, the keys are more than acceptable, comfortable smooth action. Gonna add a 1/4" output but that will be it, I like this raw and original, it's in great condition after all.

Sampling keyboard for consumers in 1985. Boggles the mind. Makes me wish I had a 1991 released Kurzweil K2000 with a sampling option again.

SK-1's with a proper audio out through an EQ and distortion pedal can get great sounds. Nice grab!

You should do a revolutionary thing and not circuit bend it, imo.

My next grab is boring - a FCB1010 for looping bass live. You've seen it, everybody hates the Behr, so and and so forth. :P

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

Just thought I'd share something with you guys.

I work in a store not unlike a pawn shop, only we don't buy instruments and electronics and odd stuff like that, unless it's something I have a personal interest in. About 4.5 years ago, a crazy looking bass guitar came in the shop, which I paid short money for, and proceeded to not play because I can't play bass. I made a post about it here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2212134&pagenumber=87

Flash forward to about two months ago, I get a PM from someone asking me if I still have this bass. He had registered that day, just to ask me. I replied a month later since I don't stop by here all the time, that I still have it, to which he told me it was his.

The story goes that he was in the process of moving, and while it was one of the last things he left in a room, his roommate claimed it had been stolen by someone at a party. He told me about the inlay and where it came from, and even asked if it still smelled like Spanish cedar. I guess it did, though I don't know one cedar from another. We exchanged emails, and I invited him to make a 2 hour drive and come rescue and reunite with him custom bass, a four years later.

I guess all this amounts to is a thanks for shedding some light on that bass at the time, it ended up helping this guy out a real lot eventually. It wasn't getting proper attention with me, was a true work of art, and was made just for him, so thanks for helping with a happy ending I couldn't have anticipated.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Jonny 290 posted:

SK-1's with a proper audio out through an EQ and distortion pedal can get great sounds. Nice grab!

With a little cleaning it will be as close to mint as I have ever seen an SK-1, I want to keep it like that. Roland TR505 I will bend, but a mint 626 I want in a UV-shielded display cabinet. Going to bend and modify the hell out of a Casio RapMan once it arrives, just like I did with the 505 (gave me more than satisfactory results, but was no use after sampling).

I ran the SK-1 through a healthy channel of the broadcast mixer it rests upon in the image and it sounded "right".

Oh, that freaking disco melody preset :unsmith:

:unsmith:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Monkey Lincoln posted:

Bass reunion.

Good on you man. Very classy thing todo.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Monkey Lincoln posted:

Just thought I'd share something with you guys.

I work in a store not unlike a pawn shop, only we don't buy instruments and electronics and odd stuff like that, unless it's something I have a personal interest in. About 4.5 years ago, a crazy looking bass guitar came in the shop, which I paid short money for, and proceeded to not play because I can't play bass. I made a post about it here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2212134&pagenumber=87

Flash forward to about two months ago, I get a PM from someone asking me if I still have this bass. He had registered that day, just to ask me. I replied a month later since I don't stop by here all the time, that I still have it, to which he told me it was his.

The story goes that he was in the process of moving, and while it was one of the last things he left in a room, his roommate claimed it had been stolen by someone at a party. He told me about the inlay and where it came from, and even asked if it still smelled like Spanish cedar. I guess it did, though I don't know one cedar from another. We exchanged emails, and I invited him to make a 2 hour drive and come rescue and reunite with him custom bass, a four years later.

I guess all this amounts to is a thanks for shedding some light on that bass at the time, it ended up helping this guy out a real lot eventually. It wasn't getting proper attention with me, was a true work of art, and was made just for him, so thanks for helping with a happy ending I couldn't have anticipated.

That's so awesome. I'm really glad you ended up with it instead of some rear end in a top hat who would have just kept it and ignored the guy. Do you know if it was really was stolen from a party or if the roommate just pawned it?

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

I had a friend give me an SK-1 a few years ago and I'm sure as hell not bending it. While you can do some cool stuff by bending it the original sound is way cooler. I have started to bend an SR-16 though. gently caress that thing.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I got some more V-Picks in the mail, and I'm already planning my next order. These things are an addiction, folks.

The Dimension Junior is a little small for me, but its big brother is just about perfect. I got the unbuffed version, which seems to work extremely well with flatwound bass strings. The Snake Pointed is really nice as well, and I'm going to have to pick up its unbuffed counterpart for comparison.

The Nexus Unbuffed, which was kindly included free of charge, is not really my thing when it comes to bass, but it might be interesting for some other application.

The Onyx 5.85mm is utterly ridiculous. It's actually kind of fun on guitar, and it could also be useful as a covert assassination tool.

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

HollisBrown posted:

That's so awesome. I'm really glad you ended up with it instead of some rear end in a top hat who would have just kept it and ignored the guy. Do you know if it was really was stolen from a party or if the roommate just pawned it?

Without getting into specifics, yes, his roommate sold it. Gave me a story about needing money to move and it being too big to bring along. Then again who walks into a pawn shop and says "I'd like to sell this, it isn't mine to sell"

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

And now that broadcast mixer is mine. After giving the owner my report of it that I'd rather take it in for repairs and renovations than let it meet its fate over at recycling, nobody showed the slightest interest in even paying shipping for it and now it's mine for the price of being a good man.. who also bought his SK-1.

In its current state it's a helluva fine summing mixer and with too beautiful to be true pre-amp. Once you find the two channels that work well enough for that anyway. Done photographic documenting of this rare poorly documented hardware over at this flickr account and more is coming, as soon as I can get the remaining rusted half-measurement torx screws to give up.

A decent haul for this month, I must say.

(Summing mixer = A simple outboard hardware unit to run digital mixes through in order to add colour, warmth and oompf (buzzwords but actual things that matter, sometimes), not necessarily only for software users. Often insanely expensive.)

e: gently caress RUSTY WORN OUT SCREWS THAT WERE FIT ON TOO TIGHT TO BEGIN WITH

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 21, 2012

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

MrLonghair posted:

Hey nice! I picked an SK1 up at a garage sale for $5 a few weeks back. Sampling your own voice at different pitches is fun as hell.

Edit: I just checked mine, it's got an 1/8th audio output jack near the power jack. Are there different models that don't have an out jack or something? If not, why not just get a 1/8th male to 1/4 female adapter?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 21, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Handen posted:

Hey nice! I picked an SK1 up at a garage sale for $5 a few weeks back. Sampling your own voice at different pitches is fun as hell.

Edit: I just checked mine, it's got an 1/8th audio output jack near the power jack. Are there different models that don't have an out jack or something? If not, why not just get a 1/8th male to 1/4 female adapter?

If I find a higher quality adapter I'll just stick with that, they've given me glitchy connections in the past. Happy there's a full 1/4th plug for mic input

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

MrLonghair posted:

With a little cleaning it will be as close to mint as I have ever seen an SK-1, I want to keep it like that. Roland TR505 I will bend, but a mint 626 I want in a UV-shielded display cabinet. Going to bend and modify the hell out of a Casio RapMan once it arrives, just like I did with the 505 (gave me more than satisfactory results, but was no use after sampling).

I ran the SK-1 through a healthy channel of the broadcast mixer it rests upon in the image and it sounded "right".

Oh, that freaking disco melody preset :unsmith:

:unsmith:

I still have an SK-8, use it too. If you haven't done so yet, try sampling some snares; they can sound great at those low rates. Also, before you bend the 505, better sample the sounds for later use; with a bit of pitch shifting and EQ they're nice for faking the "kit in the corner" kind of sound.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

MrLonghair posted:

If I find a higher quality adapter I'll just stick with that, they've given me glitchy connections in the past. Happy there's a full 1/4th plug for mic input

Fair enough; replacing the 1/8" plug with a 1/4" plug would be easy as balls.

I guess I should post my most recent Kijiji score:

2000 Epiphone Korina Flying V 7-String. Listed with a bunch of lovely ESP and Ibanez beginner guitars, didn't even see it in the listing at first. Asking $200 because the neck pickup was missing its mounting screws. On eBay they go for around $600, so I had to check it out, and walked away with it for $180. I've never played a 7-string but I welcome the opportunity, since now I can have a guitar permanently downtuned to C standard.

Now to get some new pickups. Anyone know of any reputable pickup makers who deal in 7 string guitars aside from Bare Knuckle?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
My eight string addiction is killin' me softly:

It's an Agile Intrepid 828 Standard Dual Bloodburst. Got it in a trade on the sevenstring forums - traded my Septor Pro 830 Silverburst for it.

At first glance it seems like a trade down; the Septor Pro was 5-piece neck through with an ebony board, longer scale, perfect condition and had just been set up by Chris Tatalias while the Intrepid is bolt-on, rosewood board, 3 piece neck and a some minor scratches and dings.
But, the Intrepid is much closer to my ideal 8. The 830 was neck-heavy as hell, and the gloss neck+profile+weight made it hard to comfortably play. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but this new one is much better for me.

Onto the specs:
  • 28.625" Scale
  • Lightweight Ash Body
  • 3-Piece Bolt-On Maple Neck
  • Rosewood Fretboard
  • Dimarzio D-Activator 8 Pickups w/1meg Pots
  • Grover 18:1 tuners (he also included an extra set of 8!)
  • Cepheus Bridge
  • Bloodburst Satin Poly Finish on Body
  • Thin Satin(?) Finish on Neck (will be converting to asymmetrical tung oiled neck to match my Oakland Axe Factory Custom)
  • 8.4lbs Actual Weight (vs. 9.2lbs for the Septor Pro)

I'm loving the guitar! The slightly shorter scale and neck finish is much easier for me to play, and the DA8s sound loving amazing. They're surprisingly not too bright with 1meg pots, and sound better than the Cepheus ones (the Cepheus are very good). Even the action was okay from the start, and only needed some minor relief change and a little lowering.

All in all, I'm holding on to this for now :).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think you made the right call on that one. The intrepids seem to work out much better than the 8 string Septors.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Shiny.

The GK head I've had for about six months, the Cab is new. second-hand but not a mark on it, the rubber grips on the grab handles have a bit of perishing but nothing a little electrical tape can't fix.

Unfortunately not having a speaker cable at home I haven't been able to try them together yet - and can't afford one til payday. The waiting is murder...

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
Protip: you can use a guitar cable as speaker cable, but you can't use a speaker cable as a guitar cable.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

kahm posted:

Protip: you can use a guitar cable as speaker cable, but you can't use a speaker cable as a guitar cable.

Hey, don't do this.

You can actually use a speaker cable as an instrument cable, though it may be noisy because speaker cables aren't shielded. Using a guitar cable as speaker cable can make things blow up.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

kahm posted:

Pretty sure you've got this backwards.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

kahm posted:

Wait, really? I always thought it was the other way around.

e: Beaten, yep

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
wow what the gently caress is wrong with me, I knew that. I thought and typed that totally backwards. Whoops. How dare I, sorry.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

kahm posted:

wow what the gently caress is wrong with me, I knew that. I thought and typed that totally backwards. Whoops. How dare I, sorry.

OH GOD ALL MY GEAR BLEW UP AND BURNED DOWN MY HOUSE YOU MONSTER

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Going back to pickguard chat, here's my modified Squier Vintage Modified (ha). Removed and bypassed the tone pot, and moved the jack to the front. The GuitarFetish pickguard didn't match up perfectly for the existing screw holes, but that was easy enough to fix.

I can't believe Squier isn't shipping these out with black pickguards, I think it's a thousand times sexier.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Nice! That's the XV-610 pickguard, 'technically' not for a Fender at all, so I'm not surprised it was a little off.

Which reminds me, by the way, anyone know where I could get a replacement for a XV-JT90?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/BLOWOUT-XV-JT90-Offset-Hybrid-GFS-Pickups-Capri-Orange-Alder-Body_p_2512.html

I know there's a place you can mail your guard to, but I forgot.

By the way, got a mail from GFS, the Not-Gretch Not-6120s are a hundred bucks off.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Manky posted:

Going back to pickguard chat, here's my modified Squier Vintage Modified (ha). Removed and bypassed the tone pot, and moved the jack to the front. The GuitarFetish pickguard didn't match up perfectly for the existing screw holes, but that was easy enough to fix.

I can't believe Squier isn't shipping these out with black pickguards, I think it's a thousand times sexier.

looks great! the classic vibe thinline is on my mind as a future project.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

Manky posted:

I'm just after getting one of the Squier "vintage modified" Jazzmasters. It's actually pretty good! I'll post pics up of it later.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
After narrowly missing out seemingly every time one comes up for sale, I've finally obtained a Swedish chainsaw!

oh, wait, that's not right...

A Swedish chainsaw!

I'm pretty sure they didn't know what they were selling because it was priced at considerably less than the going rate on eBay.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
i also got a vintage modified jazzmaster. i'm enjoying it. need to set it up this weekend.

that hm-2 looks so clean! good on you. mine looks like hot garbage

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
How's the floating trem on the Jazzmaster? I was messing with one the other day and it felt good... but I'm still more tempted by the Marauder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Acute Hepatitis posted:

i also got a vintage modified jazzmaster. i'm enjoying it. need to set it up this weekend.

that hm-2 looks so clean! good on you. mine looks like hot garbage

The box is a bit beat up, but for a 20+yr old pedal it's in amazingly good condition.

edit: 20+? drat I feel so old now, they stopped making them the year before I started high school.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 26, 2012