Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bulls$hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Heh, yes you're right, let me fix that:

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, but honestly, that's the most believable post I've ever seen on XDA. Ever.

I mean, I'd expect first batch devices to have some problems anyway. Didn't the Prime have problems with the first batch (and possibly the second)?

This?:

quote:

I just spoke with a Tier 2 Google rep who told me a couple very interesting things. The first is that a software glitch and screen problem have been discovered in the early run of the Nexus 7s, and that the initial devices that 'got out' are going to have a couple of serious issues regarding wifi, as well as glue holding the screen to the body that, in some cases, is causing the screen to actually lift off and separate from the main tablet. They have recalled most of the first wave, and they already have another run in place that corrects the issues. The devices will still be shipped out next week. For those of you (un)lucky enough to have gotten yours early, you may be in for a nasty surprise.

Also, apparently Google is none-too-pleased with the contents of this thread, and will be pursuing action of some sort against the Ronald-McDonald-Cat-QTip-Raping-Whiney-A$$es posting about Google's inability to fold space and time to make the current date and time be 'Mid July', as originally promised.

Yeah, ok. That first part was complete bulls$hit. But I swear that the second part was true. Honest.
Really? The post that says right in it that it is actual bull$hit is the most believable to you?

mars
Apr 5, 2005
I just wanted to check something with you guys about the N7 packaging. I just got my preordered 8GB, and mine looks like the tape that seals the box on either side was opened and then another piece was put over it.
Do any of you guys also have 2 pieces of tape? I'm usually paranoid about this kind of stuff for no reason. I'm just wondering what reason there would be to open it and re-seal it, but if other boxes are like that it wouldn't bother me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mars posted:

I just wanted to check something with you guys about the N7 packaging. I just got my preordered 8GB, and mine looks like the tape that seals the box on either side was opened and then another piece was put over it.
Do any of you guys also have 2 pieces of tape? I'm usually paranoid about this kind of stuff for no reason. I'm just wondering what reason there would be to open it and re-seal it, but if other boxes are like that it wouldn't bother me.

It looks like double tape, but it isn't. If you peel it back, you can see there are two different kinds of adhesive on the tape which makes it look like it's one piece of tape on top of the other.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It looks like double tape, but it isn't. If you peel it back, you can see there are two different kinds of adhesive on the tape which makes it look like it's one piece of tape on top of the other.

I thought it was supposed to be that sort of tape that leaves a pattern behind as a tamper-proof indication.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

randyest posted:

Heh, yes you're right, let me fix that:

This?:

Really? The post that says right in it that it is actual bull$hit is the most believable to you?

From all of the things I've heard on XDA just in the past week over the Nexus S Jelly Bean update? Yes.

Plus, I could see it have first batch problems. It is ASUS after all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought it was supposed to be that sort of tape that leaves a pattern behind as a tamper-proof indication.

Actually, I believe you are right.

Peeling it back shows an "Opened" imprint on the box.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Syrinxx posted:

Man. I realize it's some kind of mandated "elegant solution" from a very important Google engineering team but gently caress not having expandable storage and gently caress not being able to see your device from your computer. I can't imagine this is a benefit to the consumer at all.

Your computer should see it just fine unless you're still using an older OS like Windows 2000 and earlier or using OS X. And if for some reason you find yourself in the 10% of computer users doing one of those there should still be a third party application you can use.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Official android MTP transfer program for macs: http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Good lord, this thing really is everything I've been wanting in a tablet. There goes work productivity for the day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

According to FedEx, mine is waiting at home on the front porch. Why is it only 4:17 here? This is unfortunate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
See the thing about the whole warranty sticker is that even if you knew the serial number, if it fell off your warranty was void. Couple that with how lovely it is adhered onto this tablet and you've got good times™.

That's granted its handled Transformer Prime style.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

averox posted:

See the thing about the whole warranty sticker is that even if you knew the serial number, if it fell off your warranty was void. Couple that with how lovely it is adhered onto this tablet and you've got good times™.

With the sheer volume of people about to get ultra-pissed about it, I'm pretty sure they'll back down on it, especially if it gets super bad press.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Is that how it's attached on the Infinity? (if anyone has seen one)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

averox posted:

Doing a search on this, I see a single instance where Newegg wouldn't accept an RMA of a tablet that was missing the serial sticker and that's about it. I don't think it's fully unreasonable for a retailer to not accept product back that's missing all accompanying documentation.

I haven't found anything that states Asus refuses them back. In fact, I found a few cases of the exact opposite (where someone lost the sticker and didn't have the info from the box or warranty booklet) and they still fixed it free of charge because it was in the warranty period.

If you are really worried about it, peel it off and put it with the warranty booklet.

I'd probably register the product with Asus when you get it as well.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
edit: ^^what he said.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

averox posted:

Anyone else have concerns about the serial number sticker? I almost ripped it off because I thought it was just the FCC stuff. I still ripped it off and stuck it to a slice of plastic from the unit itself and stuck it in the N7 box.

I hope this isn't another T Prime serial number issue.

Are you talking about the semi-clear plastic sticker by the charging port? There is no way that is intended to stay on the tablet. It has a 1/4 of an inch on one side that isn't sticky, specifically for ease of removal.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

stormrider posted:

Are you talking about the semi-clear plastic sticker by the charging port? There is no way that is intended to stay on the tablet. It has a 1/4 of an inch on one side that isn't sticky, specifically for ease of removal.

Agreed. Mine was barely even stuck on, I doubt they will give you trouble for removing it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Shadowgate posted:

Agreed. Mine was barely even stuck on, I doubt they will give you trouble for removing it.

It sticks just fine, and considerably more legibly to the colorful part of your nexus box sleeve.

mars
Apr 5, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Mine was definitely double tape. The two pieces were not flush with each other. I peeled one side off and it definitely looked like the piece under was cut and the other piece put on top of it. I did see the tamper proof message.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
New to android as a whole and I can't seem to find this setting after poking around for a bit. Is there a way to have it go back to the app I was in right before I hit the lock button? Right now it defaults to opening up google now (or just a search bar if I turn off now) and I'm just not sure where to look.

Durrr. Swipe down

Fatal fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 17, 2012

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Fatal posted:

New to android as a whole and I can't seem to find this setting after poking around for a bit. Is there a way to have it go back to the app I was in right before I hit the lock button? Right now it defaults to opening up google now (or just a search bar if I turn off now) and I'm just not sure where to look.

Swipe down (to the unlock icon) instead of up?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Fatal posted:

Durrr. Swipe down

Hit the third button.

In order they are: Back | Home | Recent Apps

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Is there any way to enable screenshots without rooting it? I can't seem to find the usual option in the settings.

e. Worked after system update

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 17, 2012

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Since there is no more Flash Player for Android and you can't install it on Jelly Bean, is there any way to watch Amazon Instant Video on the Nexus 7 or any other 4.1 device?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Is there any way to enable screenshots without rooting it? I can't seem to find the usual option in the settings.

Hold volume down + power button

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

mars posted:

I work for a large multinational company, and there were a few dozen nexus 7's delievered to co-workers on my floor, we checked them out, and all of our nexus 7 boxes had 2 sticky tapes on each side [4 total] from examining my box it doesn't look like the lower one was opened in any way. At least on mine.

I'm guessing that there may have been a batch ready for shipment, Q/C discovered a problem and went back and opened all the stock, did a 2nd Q/C pass to double check things [maybe that screen clip problem?] and resealed the boxes.

The unit seems great, going to use my $25 credit to buy a few gps apps to test out.

The included usb cable is shorter than I'd like but that's not a big deal, I got extras.

Now to look at vehicle docking setups, maybe something like a RAAM mount.

/edit

Regarding the sticker, all of my serial numbers match including the one on the peel off sticker near the charge port.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty, when I first booted up the nexus 7, it already knew my gmail account :tinfoil:

I guess when you order from play, google links it to your google wallet account as a default.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 17, 2012

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Since there is no more Flash Player for Android and you can't install it on Jelly Bean, is there any way to watch Amazon Instant Video on the Nexus 7 or any other 4.1 device?

Find the apk for it on the net, or back it up from another Android device, if you have one?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Rohaq posted:

You're most welcome!

Edit: And since people are talking about shipping dates again, Google posted this today:
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2667319&ctx=plusone

And it's changed since then

quote:

When will my preorder ship?

We’ve had incredible demand for our new Nexus 7 tablet and are shipping them as quickly as possible. When your device ships you will receive a notification from Google Play with a shipping tracking number. We will have all orders processed and shipped soon.

Below is a list with more specific details by country:

In the US: We’ve shipped all Nexus 7 8GB orders. By the end of day on July 19 (PDT), we will have shipped all Nexus 7 16GB orders placed through July 11 (PDT), and upgraded these orders to overnight shipping. We will process the remaining Nexus 7 16GB orders by end of next week with overnight shipping.

In Canada: We’ve shipped all Nexus 7 8GB orders. We are in the process of shipping Nexus 7 16GB orders and will ship them in 1-2 weeks.

In the UK: All Nexus 7 8GB orders will ship by July 20 (BST). All Nexus 7 16GB orders placed through June 30 (BST), will ship by July 20 (BST). The remaining Nexus 7 16GB orders will ship next week.

In Australia: All Nexus 7 8GB and Nexus 7 16GB orders will be fulfilled by the end of day on July 19 (AEST) and will arrive in 3-5 days.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Nexus7 showed up.
Screen is beautiful.

Unlocked, rooted, DPI160'd; loving it.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Geared Hub posted:

The unit seems great, going to use my $25 credit to buy a few gps apps to test out.

Would you mind posting your observations here? I wasn't aware the tablet could utilize GPS without a data service beyond wifi.

I hear we can now download google maps for offline use? Has anyone tried this yet and how well does it work?

Also, I wonder if they will ever make Mass Effect 3 cases for these things.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Sharkelberry posted:

Would you mind posting your observations here? I wasn't aware the tablet could utilize GPS without a data service beyond wifi.

I hear we can now download google maps for offline use? Has anyone tried this yet and how well does it work?

Also, I wonder if they will ever make Mass Effect 3 cases for these things.

It appears to have downloaded my local area, not sure how far out, without any prompting. I got turn by turn directions to my dentists office.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Nexus7 showed up.
Screen is beautiful.

Unlocked, rooted, DPI160'd; loving it.

What does the DPI change accomplish ? Does it make the tablet use the regular ten inch layout?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What does the DPI change accomplish ? Does it make the tablet use the regular ten inch layout?

Came here to ask this same thing, what?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Optimus Subprime posted:

Has anyone received their $25 google play for their Nexus 7? I got my device in today, but I still am not seeing a way to pay for stuff on the play store.
It's offered when you set up the device. If you skipped the offer, you'll have to factory reset the device to be offered it again.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Nexus 7 is ~215 DPI. A 10.1" Xoom is ~150 DPI. The operating system reports this number to applications so they know how many pixels to make things. Telling the system to report a lower DPI will make applications think the device is bigger than it is and use less pixels to render things, so icons and bars and things will be smaller. It's really not something that anyone should change.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

yes, it tells the OS that the screen is bigger than it is and thus uses the 2 column tablet layout where necessary.

how-to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1749501
result:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Why would you push the buttons to one side? That's awful.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Because if a device is actually as big as the DPI reports, you don't have 5-8" thumbs to reach to the middle of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Why would you push the buttons to one side? That's awful.

That's the way every other Android tablet (with 3.0+) has rendered the home screen. For some reason the Nexus 7 didn't do that, instead uses the phone interface. I really don't like it, I'd prefer the traditional tablet interface. I'm going to try the posted hack and see if I like it, if there's a problem I can always reflash the stock image, no big deal.