Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I might have gone, but I'm helping some friends with some Hylid field work all weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~
So, after a week long battle with god knows what, my little Pixel has died :sigh: She had a blockage in her cloaca, clearly not from eating her walnut shell bedding, I took her to the vet and they were at a loss. She had lost 2g out of the measly 9 she weighed but, "try feeding her often and bring in a stool sample" was my advice. I waited a few days between feedings (one the day after the vet, one four days later) and she had lost another gram in the mean time somehow, and developed another blockage. She must have gone septic or something, because her waste smelled more awful than regular eau de poop. It hurt a lot but I'm glad that I was there when it happened rather than me going in to her cage to get her and pulling her out limp with no warning. I'm not happy she died, but it is somewhat of a relief as I had sometimes wondered if it were more humane to just have her put down. RIP you skinny little Kenyan, I hope you get big and fat on whatever the hell you want (guessing not high quality cat food) up in that big dirt pit in the sky!

In other, less sad news... I am going to be moving from Delaware to central Florida here in about two weeks. It's going to be a 16 hour drive or so, hopefully without making an overnight stop. I have Rubbermaid type containers for each of my four remaining snakes, some cushion foam to absorb bumps/music vibrations, and some UniHeat 40+ hour warmers (because the A/C is going to be on).

My plan is to get a cardboard box big enough to fit both the largest containers side by side, put a layer or two of foam in the bottom, and to fasten the heat pack between them. On top of them will be the other 2 containers, with another heat pack between them. Inside each container will be one snake in either a snake bag or a pillow case. I may end up adding some foam between the two containers on the top and the two on the bottom. This is for transporting a ball python, two corn snakes, and a rosy boa. Am I missing anything?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Joonami posted:

Am I missing anything?

If you can, I would block them off from direct sunlight (like if they're in the back seat you could hang a shirt over both back door windows). Especially with heat packs in there already, you probably don't want the sun coming down on the box too. :ohdear:

Maybe a slightly damp paper towel wadded up in a corner, for the ones that need humidity?

Duke of Flies
Jul 2, 2007

I croaked "Get Out"
Then I stood, and croaked "GET OUT"

Or... get in..
Soiled Meat
Hey, I haven't reported in for awhile as far as those neglected geckos go. And this'll probably be the last update. But for a good reason!

The repashy and calcium powder finally arrived in the mail this week, and the sickly gecko got rid of almost all of his shed. (Just a speck of a chunk left around one eye.) I figured that with food in hand, it was finally time to take them in to the pet shelter.

I called first, asking if they remembered me and if they were ready to take them. And the lady excitedly said, "Yes! Please do! We've already got homes for them both!"

:aaa:

So I pack up the geckos and all their supplies in the car, drive on down, and as I'm unloading them and handing over the packets of repashy, ask who they're going to. I was still a little worried of them going to homes where people were like my family and going, "Oh, geckos sound cool," and not know what they're getting into.

But it turns out the lady's husband is an avid gecko fan, having raised and kept them since he was a kid. So they'd be taking the healthier one. And the sickly one was going to a man who used to run and own an exotics pet shop and knew exactly how to care for them and get him back up to snuff.

So thank you, PI! These two little geckos got what I feel is the best possible ending to this unfortunate little jaunt, and yours guys' input and advice went a long ways. I'm very grateful and I'm sure the lizards are too. :3:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pet Island is the best island. :neckbeard:

Good luck, little sticky lizards!

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I say that a group hug is in order.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Speaking of Crested Geckos, how much floor space do they need? I keep hearing that hight is more important than area, but I never hear about the minimums of each.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Atmus posted:

Speaking of Crested Geckos, how much floor space do they need? I keep hearing that hight is more important than area, but I never hear about the minimums of each.

Adults do good in an upturned 20G aquarium from everything I've been told. If you're not talking adults, it depends on weight. Something too big and they get kinda lost sometimes.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Adults do good in an upturned 20G aquarium from everything I've been told. If you're not talking adults, it depends on weight. Something too big and they get kinda lost sometimes.

I have a couple 20g Longs, putting one on its end gives about a square foot. It also makes it 30" high. Would that work, or is it too extreme?

Petco is still doing the dollar a gallon sale so I can get different ones if that would be better. And I'll probably get different ones anyway, since I have room :V

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Atmus posted:

I have a couple 20g Longs, putting one on its end gives about a square foot. It also makes it 30" high. Would that work, or is it too extreme?

Petco is still doing the dollar a gallon sale so I can get different ones if that would be better. And I'll probably get different ones anyway, since I have room :V

A 20g on it's end is fine for one adult. If you're getting a hatchling or juvenile, you need to keep it in a 10g or smaller so it can find food and not be stressed.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
How large and in what configuration would be best for a breeding pair/group?

How much hight do they really use? If you built them some crazy 7' tall enclosure complete with 'trees', would they use the whole thing?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Atmus posted:

How large and in what configuration would be best for a breeding pair/group?

How much hight do they really use? If you built them some crazy 7' tall enclosure complete with 'trees', would they use the whole thing?

A 20gallon would be fine for a breeding pair- assuming you're separating them during the off-season.

Do you currently own any cresteds or geckos? Just in case you don't know, a single pair can lay up to 6+ eggs from a single mating. It is quick and easy to get overwhelmed by eggs/hatchlings if you are not careful, especially when there are tons of lower-end geckos available.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
No, I'm just getting started. I don't plan on actually breeding them for years (if ever), I just want to get an idea of how to set up the critter walls.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Big Centipede posted:

So, no one is going to the Columbia SC Repticon show?

I wish I was, I need mice like whoa. Eight hours away though :sigh:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Atmus posted:

No, I'm just getting started. I don't plan on actually breeding them for years (if ever), I just want to get an idea of how to set up the critter walls.

Your enclosure plans are good. Bigger is always better for any species, and cresties are easily housed. Keep in mind that if you want to get serious about breeding, you'll need several enclosures; a place to store your adults in the off season, a breeding group enclosure for when they're on, and several small hatchling boxes.

Be sure you're buying high end stock to breed from. Don't just buy a random male and two females, stick them together and produce babies without thinking about patterning, structure and overall conformation. Do your research about the pattern lines and genetics of these geckos before attempting to sell.

If you just want a bunch of geckos in a big enclosure because it looks neat, and babies would be incidental, look into a different species. Greycious is right in saying there are far too many low-end, randomly bred cresties on the market, and they don't sell, so either be prepared to keep all your hatchlings (which could have you 40+ in a single year) or get serious about crestie lines and look into making a big investment in your stock.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I'm not going to go for a single big 'display' unit really, I was more wondering where the cutoff was where 'more' becomes 'wasted'.

I'm guess I'm not really good at explaining it. If geckos like zooming all over a fake tree, I would do things differently than if they only like getting a couple feet off of the 'ground'. I suppose a thing some into play where you have to worry about them falling off and hurting themselves, so maybe that is a limiter, too. I don't think you can use any of the tricks for dart frogs that you can for geckos to prevent that, at least.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost

Atmus posted:

I'm not going to go for a single big 'display' unit really, I was more wondering where the cutoff was where 'more' becomes 'wasted'.

I'm guess I'm not really good at explaining it. If geckos like zooming all over a fake tree, I would do things differently than if they only like getting a couple feet off of the 'ground'. I suppose a thing some into play where you have to worry about them falling off and hurting themselves, so maybe that is a limiter, too. I don't think you can use any of the tricks for dart frogs that you can for geckos to prevent that, at least.

They do like to climb. I have some vertically oriented screen/acrylic enclosures (roughly 20 gallons of space each) for both of mine and I do often see them at the top or climbing on the decorations. They really do like vertical space and will most likely use all of it if they can, so a 20g long would be fine. You don't need to worry about them falling, either, since they're good at climbing and holding onto stuff despite being flighty sometimes. If they do slip, they probably won't hurt themselves as long as the stuff you have in your enclosure is all reptile-safe. I'm pretty sure everyone who's owned one has at least one or two stories about their geckos randomly flying out of their hands and landing on the floor, too. Scared the hell out of me when it happened, but the geckos didn't suffer from it. Not that it's really a good idea for them to be doing that, but it happens sometimes.

Cultured Snail
Sep 19, 2006
tasteful

Not Your Senorita posted:

They do like to climb. I have some vertically oriented screen
One thing I will mention - for crested geckos and other wall-crawlers, it is gross as hell to have a desk with a screen cage over your computer monitor/workspace and in the evening suddenly hear a "squort!" and find gecko crap raining down.

What I am saying is, plan accordingly. If you're doing a screen-sided enclosure, be prepared for poop-rain and be ready to have to scrub screen with fair regularity. And don't leave the enclosure on Aunt Gertie's best lace doilies or on a shelf that sits over your bed's headboard.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Captain Foxy posted:

Your enclosure plans are good. Bigger is always better for any species, and cresties are easily housed.

I have to disagree with this somewhat. Some geckos are very much so creatures of comfort/familiarity, and sometimes large spaces can stress them and make it hard for them to find food. Most of my geckos, while they explore/feed at night, always return to the same spot to sleep every day.

I'm not saying don't try to give them more space, go ahead and try it, but keep track of their weight and make sure they aren't dropping, and be prepared to put them in something smaller if needed.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Something I don't understand about that. Don't the Geckos see through the glass, or do they regognize it as a barrier or something? I would think that the difference between a 10 and 100 gallon tank would be irrelevent when it can see that it is in a 10,000 gallon room. Obviously this isn't the case, but I wonder why.

Also, the humidity in my part of Colorado is such that the screen tank isn't workable. Plus glass and acrylic are easier to work with (for me) than screening, so they'll have a venting, but that's it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Some animals figure out that there is glass there, or at least something that separates them from the world outside the cage. Others don't, and that's why you see snakes and lizards with rubbed-on or raw noses from them trying to get out through the glass.

That's the main reason I released the baby kingsnake I found when I worked at the zoo. Tiny thing, didn't strike or spray me, but within minutes of being in an aquarium it started rubbing its face against the glass, trying to escape.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I swear, geckos know that making GBS threads on the glass is the most annoying place. Little bastards....

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Well I can totally see where you guys get over run with lizards, I don't even have any and I want them all already :(

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Crestitis is no loving joke, seriously. I started out with one, now I have ten, and I'm gearing up for the fall to procure more stock and begin cooling my females for breeding.

Greycious posted:

I have to disagree with this somewhat. Some geckos are very much so creatures of comfort/familiarity, and sometimes large spaces can stress them and make it hard for them to find food. Most of my geckos, while they explore/feed at night, always return to the same spot to sleep every day.

I'm not saying don't try to give them more space, go ahead and try it, but keep track of their weight and make sure they aren't dropping, and be prepared to put them in something smaller if needed.

True. I was thinking more about managing multiple animals in one enclosure, where more space/hiding areas are usually appreciated, but my single geckos are fairly sedentary. Even my two adult females in the 55g have their own personal sleeping spots and feeding areas.

Hatchlings are easily stressed and need smaller enclosures to feel hidden, secure and to be able to find their food, so smaller is best for them, but I think if you're going to manage a group of adults in a large enclosure, more space is better, as long as you can remove a stressed animal to a smaller tank if necessary.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...
Listen to these wise people. Save yourself now. Crestitis is terminal and spreads fast. Run if you can.

Monsoon rains ripped thru S. Az today. Naturally the amphibians are loving it and out in force, although I don't remember them being quite this loud.

This is from a retaining pond right out our window. Ignore the video (all black, basically), just crank the volume. The video doesn't quite convey the volume.
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/Verhoodled/?action=view&current=IMG_0272.mp4

The sounds of dying sheep are Woodhouse's Toads.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I haven't posted pictures of my pastel ball python in a while. He's been partial to hanging out up on his tree branch lately, which is just the most unusual thing. My Rigby's the only arboreal-preferential ball I've seen.

Crappy camera focus here.

Much better focus, but overall, sorry about the glare.

It's still pretty obvious he's a strikingly yellow snake in some places. His yellow is not uniform, uniform yellow which I think fetches a higher price on the morph market, but I actually like the gradient he has.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Repticon was kinda a bust. No albino house snakes, no rubber boas, no larger tincs, nothing. Ended up with some normal Kenyan sand boas and some random supplies.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
All right goons, which of you was looking for Arabian sand boas? Store here has a female but it's over 200 bucks. I didn't get a chance to see it, but I'm sure someone here was looking for them.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

All right goons, which of you was looking for Arabian sand boas? Store here has a female but it's over 200 bucks. I didn't get a chance to see it, but I'm sure someone here was looking for them.

A store has an Eryx jayakari?? Do you know the sex and price?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Bobbaganoosh posted:

Listen to these wise people. Save yourself now. Crestitis is terminal and spreads fast. Run if you can.

Monsoon rains ripped thru S. Az today. Naturally the amphibians are loving it and out in force, although I don't remember them being quite this loud.

Very nice! I was listening to a tree frog by me last night, it's fun to hear the seasonal noises of summer back again.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
Hey, uh, so my Bloodred het Hypo Plasma Charcoal corn clutch popped.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Big Centipede posted:

A store has an Eryx jayakari?? Do you know the sex and price?

Female and $250, but I didn't actually see the snake.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

Female and $250, but I didn't actually see the snake.

What's the number for the store?

Would you be willing to ship it to me if necessary, I'll pay for everything, of course.

Big Centipede fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 15, 2012

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, the other day I found this cool, mottled lizard laying in the gravel on the side of the road, just sitting there, basking in whatever heat was left during the night. I picked up the little fella and he sat in my hand calmly for a bit, then I set it down and it decided to crawl up my leg, onto my shoulder and rest there as I walked to my friend's house.

Then he (she?) jumped off into the bushes, not to be seen again. It was pretty awesome having the little guy ride on my shoulder for a good 10-15 minutes before it decided to run off. The next day though, I looked up what species it was and apparently in Canada, it's only supposed to be found on Vancouver Island and not in the lower mainland of British Colubmia.

For those interested, it was a European Wall Lizard. For the rest of you, do you think this may have long lasting implications?

Also finally, have any of you ever attempted to put silly hats on your pet reptiles and amphibians? Like little mini sombreros and tophats?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So, the other day I found this cool, mottled lizard laying in the gravel on the side of the road, just sitting there, basking in whatever heat was left during the night. I picked up the little fella and he sat in my hand calmly for a bit, then I set it down and it decided to crawl up my leg, onto my shoulder and rest there as I walked to my friend's house.

Then he (she?) jumped off into the bushes, not to be seen again. It was pretty awesome having the little guy ride on my shoulder for a good 10-15 minutes before it decided to run off. The next day though, I looked up what species it was and apparently in Canada, it's only supposed to be found on Vancouver Island and not in the lower mainland of British Colubmia.

For those interested, it was a European Wall Lizard. For the rest of you, do you think this may have long lasting implications?

Also finally, have any of you ever attempted to put silly hats on your pet reptiles and amphibians? Like little mini sombreros and tophats?

Introduced species tend to expand their ranges. I've found Cuban treefrogs all the way up to the GA/FL border, far beyond the known range of them.

I stapled reindeer antlers on my snakes during the holiday season.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Lucky you, I live on Vancouver Island and I've never seen one of those. But considering they're an introduced species, that's probably a good thing. Its kind of interesting how there's a bunch of them on Vancouver Island all because of one little private zoo.

Anyway, is it normal for a beardie to not enjoy being bathed? Whenever I bathe Waffle, he puffs his belly out like crazy.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Celery Face posted:

Lucky you, I live on Vancouver Island and I've never seen one of those. But considering they're an introduced species, that's probably a good thing. Its kind of interesting how there's a bunch of them on Vancouver Island all because of one little private zoo.

Anyway, is it normal for a beardie to not enjoy being bathed? Whenever I bathe Waffle, he puffs his belly out like crazy.

This is going to probably be an unpopular opinion, but not every introduced species is a horrible thing. A small insectivorous lizard is not going to impact the environment very much other than being simply another potential prey item for larger predators.

Not every introduced species is the Burmese python or Nile monitor or cane toad. Lots of species are pretty innocuous like house geckos or Brahiminy blind snakes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I'd done halloween-y photos with Harley and Joker, but now they're getting hats. I'm sure they'd thank you if they knew how.

Hype
Apr 12, 2011

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I posted this a while back:

I have the same hat in white for my albino boa I'm waiting for her to grow into. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a lizard. I have a hat. What else do you want?
:sassargh:SASS2013:sassargh:

Hood Ornament posted:

Hey, uh, so my Bloodred het Hypo Plasma Charcoal corn clutch popped.

I love the baby snake pictures!

Had a freak out tonight, my leopard gecko Smuggy had a huge prolapse. We looked in her tank and there was just this ring of blood all over the paper towels. Luckily our vet is close by and open until 9, so got her right in and he packed her back up. She was surprisingly perky the whole time.

He put 2 little stitches back there and I have to bring her back in 2 weeks to get them taken out, or earlier if she can't poop with them in.

Has anyone else had this? He said there's nothing special I have to do in the mean time, but was wondering what experiences others have had with the same issue. Does it usually come back? Is there a chance he put stuff back in wrong?

• Locked thread