Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

commissargribb posted:

:toot: HUZZAH!

Now I just need to sell this rifle so I can buy your gold jeep.

We have to find a replacement plow rig and move the plow, then it's fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shubs
Sep 27, 2008

by angerbot
Since no one has responded to my questtion about 33s :mad: ... I'm.. I'm gonna do it and see what happens.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The WJ is making Happy Airbag Light Face at me with increasing regularity.

Potentially time to replace the steering wheel clockspring?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Wipers fixed again hopefully for the last time. This time I simply bought a $35 dollar set of wiper linkages of the 88-95 style to replace the 87 model set. After 20 minutes of cursing and smacking the wiper arms into place I think they're installed for good.

Shubs posted:

Since no one has responded to my questtion about 33s :mad: ... I'm.. I'm gonna do it and see what happens.

Have you tried googling the question?

I would give it a shot. Worst case scenario is you have to give your tires to me because they dont fit your jeep. :3:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Shubs posted:

You're going to need at least 2" on the suspension (or just coil spacers if you want to keep it cheap,) and possibly a 1" ~ 1.5" body lift. Plus extended shocks. 3"-4" is usually the minimum for 33's.

The other side effects of bigger tires is stopping (make sure your brakes are up to snuff) and acceleration. Rubicons and 2.5L's have 4.10 gears stock so they're okay, but anything taller than that is frustrating to drive and tougher on the transmission. I never noticed much difference in rigs when going to 31's, but with 33's you can really feel the changes.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 17, 2012

Shubs
Sep 27, 2008

by angerbot

Philip J Fry posted:

You're going to need at least 2" on the suspension (or just coil spacers if you want to keep it cheap,) and possibly a 1" ~ 1.5" body lift. Plus extended shocks. 3"-4" is usually the minimum for 33's.

The other side effects of bigger tires is stopping (make sure your brakes are up to snuff) and acceleration. Rubicons and 2.5L's have 4.10 gears stock so they're okay, but anything taller than that is frustrating to drive and tougher on the transmission. I never noticed much difference in rigs when going to 31's, but with 33's you can really feel the changes.

:negative:

What about 32s?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Shubs posted:

:negative:

What about 32s?

Are you really dead set against getting a small lift?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can probably find a way to fit them without lifting, but there's a good chance it'll involve a lot of bumpstopping and/or bodywork and welding. I don't know much about TJs, but a good friend of mine put 37s on an XJ with 2.5" of lift, he just had to bumpstop a lot and trim a LOT.

Said it was close to unfloppable and unrollable compared with most offroad XJs he's built and the only real downside was belly clearance, which wasn't much worse.

here it is being not unfloppable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRLMxXxKd7o

so yeah, if you can fit 37s on 2.5" of lift on an XJ, I'm absolutely sure you can find a way to make 33s fit on a TJ with no lift. Just depends on what degree of body fabrication you're willing to go to... get out that angle grinder, welder, and rattle can.

e: you are going to lose some low end grunt, will have to slip the clutch more to get started, etc unless you regear. Remember that. Regearing costs upwards of $250 per axle just in parts, and at least $150, usually more like $250-500 per axle in labor.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
$300 Jeep alert!!!

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3146419758.html

I am going to call him tomorrow morning right away. This just looks perfect to mess with.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ACU seat covers? :stare:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

ACU seat covers? :stare:

You just noticed my hilarious UCP seat covers?

They were cheap at walmart and they've lasted me on 3 years now of being pounded. They're not really the "right" color anymore due to weathering though. There's also a matching steering wheel cover.

^Here's an older photo when they were newer.

I've kinda been waiting for them to fall apart to consider getting something new but they haven't done that yet.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

That was a pretty damned good save.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

commissargribb posted:

You just noticed my hilarious UCP seat covers?

They were cheap at walmart and they've lasted me on 3 years now of being pounded. They're not really the "right" color anymore due to weathering though. There's also a matching steering wheel cover.

I saw it in the last photo, but got distracted. They were never the "right" color, as the Army is finally admitting. :lol: At least go with multicam or something.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

I saw it in the last photo, but got distracted. They were never the "right" color, as the Army is finally admitting. :lol: At least go with multicam or something.

That's why I put "right" in quotes. Find me cheap multicam seat covers at Walmart. No need to hate.

Actually, to be honest my preference would be 3 color dcu desert.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 18, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Philip J Fry posted:

That was a pretty damned good save.

it cost him some frame damage, but all in all better than flopping it, especially at that angle. Would have been a pretty harsh roll.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So my 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport has been running cooler than usual the past several days. This is odd because generally I've have overheating issues with it. Nothing huge, just simple poo poo like a stuck t-stat and gunky coolant.

So what do y'all make of it running at this temp? No a/c or heat was on and it's 61 degrees outside. Was doing 65 on the highway (picture was taken at a stoplight).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

HeyEng posted:

So my 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport has been running cooler than usual the past several days. This is odd because generally I've have overheating issues with it. Nothing huge, just simple poo poo like a stuck t-stat and gunky coolant.

So what do y'all make of it running at this temp? No a/c or heat was on and it's 61 degrees outside. Was doing 65 on the highway (picture was taken at a stoplight).

Fix your cooling system already!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EightBit posted:

Fix your cooling system already!

They've all been fixed as they sprang up. The last thing was a stuck t-stat back in January. And yea I've installed the 195 degree t-stat as well.

bloops fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 18, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Check the accuracy of the gauge by using an IR temp gun on the thermostat housing, if it's accurate, consider yourself lucky and leave it the hell alone unless it gets too cool to stay in closed loop (or your fuel economy suffers) or too hot.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Nabbed new, boxed OEM radiator and coolant tank for $65 and a set of flawless Comanche bucket brackets for the same. Better not buy anything for a while lest I ruin my luck.

On that note, a friend of mine who runs Grand Am has offered to pass along Mopar's official build guide for the ~'87-'90 SCCA Comanches. Suddenly my 2WD SWB 4.0/AX15 truck and my desire for an autocross entrant have collided. Jesus.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

OneOverZero posted:

On that note, a friend of mine who runs Grand Am has offered to pass along Mopar's official build guide for the ~'87-'90 SCCA Comanches. Suddenly my 2WD SWB 4.0/AX15 truck and my desire for an autocross entrant have collided. Jesus.

I will find you and murder you if you don't:

1. Get the build guide
2. Scan it
3. Post it

I am not joking.

Here is discussion about race comanches:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12248

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

OneOverZero posted:

Nabbed new, boxed OEM radiator and coolant tank for $65 and a set of flawless Comanche bucket brackets for the same. Better not buy anything for a while lest I ruin my luck.

does it have to have that body kit in the front?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

commissargribb posted:

That's why I put "right" in quotes. Find me cheap multicam seat covers at Walmart. No need to hate.

Actually, to be honest my preference would be 3 color dcu desert.

Your best bet would probably be buying some DCU blouses at a surplus store (I doubt you'd find multicam) and get them custom made.

I take every opportunity to mock the ACU and ABU...terrible loving uniforms. I got to wear DCUs once, every trip after that they were banned. :(

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

Your best bet would probably be buying some DCU blouses at a surplus store (I doubt you'd find multicam) and get them custom made.

I take every opportunity to mock the ACU and ABU...terrible loving uniforms. I got to wear DCUs once, every trip after that they were banned. :(

I wore the dcu on two trips. I like the acu other than the ucp colors. Either way its a seat cover that I spill poo poo on and get covered in mud and grease so I'm pretty low on ducks given.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

I will find you and murder you if you don't:

1. Get the build guide
2. Scan it
3. Post it

I am not joking.

Here is discussion about race comanches:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12248

One of those was actually for sale not that long ago, I think it was on BringATrailer.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
XJ(99 4.0l) problem: It overheats at idle with the AC on. All of the fuses are good. The electric fan motor works(I hooked up jumper leads and tested it) but it doesn't seem to come on during normal operation. With regard to the fan, Haynes just says take it to someone to diagnose the issue. Any other common overheating causes or other items to look at?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
If the electric fan isn't coming on when the A/C is running I think the fan relay is your problem.

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
I think I've got a plan for this XJ, I found out the front has spacers too. Sell the Warn HS9500i and the bumper its attached to and get a new 3-4" kit so I can ditch the blocks/spacers. Get a pro to install the kit and new bushings then get it aligned. [I would like to do it myself but work is running me 60-70 hrs a week, on call 24x6] What's the consensus on Rusty's kits? What should I expect to get out of the winch/bumper?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

commissargribb posted:

I wore the dcu on two trips. I like the acu other than the ucp colors.

Oh yeah, the colors are the biggest gripe...the ABUs, on the other hand, are completely loving useless. Terrible materials, colors, pattern, the pocket placement is almost identical to the BDU (not that I found that a problem, personally).

quote:

Either way its a seat cover that I spill poo poo on and get covered in mud and grease so I'm pretty low on ducks given.

This is a pretty compelling argument. And now I'm actually thinking about cutting up some BDUs for seat covers.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

This is a pretty compelling argument. And now I'm actually thinking about cutting up some BDUs for seat covers.

Now that you mention it, repositioning the pockets on the sides of the seat would be pretty cool.

vains
May 26, 2004

rally posted:

If the electric fan isn't coming on when the A/C is running I think the fan relay is your problem.

Thanks, that's what google was saying. It's odd that Haynes wouldn't have anything further to suggest.

edit: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/time-beef-things-up-build-thread-sorts-540357/index7.html#post5107992

What's the downside to something like this?

vains fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 20, 2012

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
The Haynes manual is notorious for being very lovely. I just got a factory service manual and I love it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

XJ(99 4.0l) problem: It overheats at idle with the AC on. All of the fuses are good. The electric fan motor works(I hooked up jumper leads and tested it) but it doesn't seem to come on during normal operation. With regard to the fan, Haynes just says take it to someone to diagnose the issue. Any other common overheating causes or other items to look at?

I had the same problem. The fan would come on occasionally--at idle or during driving. I figured out it sometimes wouldn't spin due to the internals being gunky. Swapped it out and the problem went away.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Froderick posted:

I think I've got a plan for this XJ, I found out the front has spacers too. Sell the Warn HS9500i and the bumper its attached to and get a new 3-4" kit so I can ditch the blocks/spacers. Get a pro to install the kit and new bushings then get it aligned. [I would like to do it myself but work is running me 60-70 hrs a week, on call 24x6] What's the consensus on Rusty's kits? What should I expect to get out of the winch/bumper?

I wouldn't sell the winch and bumper, you'll find they are quite useful.

Does it have aftermarket control arms already? If it does, swapping the front springs is like a 1-2 hour project:
* front end on jackstands under the frame, axle hanging
* disconnect sway bar links at each side
* unmount and support brake calipers (I just let em hang by the hoses, but some people don't like doing that)
* disconnect one end of each front shock
* pry one side of suspension down, remove spring and spacer, install new spring (and new isolator, if whoever did the spacer lift removed it) - this may be easier if you jack the other side of the axle up to lever the end you're working on downward. A big prybar and possibly a regular garden spade can also help here.
* do the other side the same way
* reinstall anything you disconnected

Rear can be a real pain in the rear end though - especially the front eye bolt. I'd be tempted to bring it to a pro for those if I was pressed for time simply because it took me something like 6-8 hours to do the rear lift on my XJ due to seized bolts and other problems.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Rear can be a real pain in the rear end though - especially the front eye bolt. I'd be tempted to bring it to a pro for those if I was pressed for time simply because it took me something like 6-8 hours to do the rear lift on my XJ due to seized bolts and other problems.

Eye bolts :stare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

believe it or not - those eye bolts were a walk in the park compared to the ones on my (admittedly rusty) XJ.

MJs and full framed jeeps have it easy. Worst case, cut both ends off and hammer on the drat thing till the remains pop out.

Also, after sitting in my yard and considering the mistakes and bad decisions which have lead me to this moment, I have made some measurements and searched the internets for the rest.

dodge dana 60 axle tube inner diameter: 2.122"
jeep dana 30 axle tube outer diameter: 2.5"
dodge dana 60 axle tube wall thickness: approx. 1/2"

I have a dana 30 in the yard with torn off mounts and junk outers.

I have a dodge dana 60 in the yard with torn off mounts, too. It is so worthless (it's literally the worst dana 60 ever made, smallest shafts, central axle vacuum disconnect, etc) that I haven't been able to sell it anywhere for "$100 or best offer you will not insult me."

All I ever break on my dana 30 right now is ujoints and ujoint ears on shafts, and once in a while balljoints. Dana 60s have much larger ears and ujoints... and balljoints...

I'm going to cut the knuckles off the dana 60, see if I can harass someone I know with a large lathe into turning the insides out to 2.5", cut the knuckles off the dana 30, set the pinion angle + caster, weld them on, and see how much it'll cost to get the axleshafts resplined. Presto, 8 lug, big brake, 1 ton steering, 1 ton ujoint, 30 spline diameter shaft, super high ground clearance dana 30.

This is probably the most retarded idea I have ever had and I'll be damned if I don't see it through. I'm gonna shred the gently caress out of that poor ring and pinion.

vains
May 26, 2004

kastein posted:

unrelated words

Is a Hobart Handler 140 sufficient for body repair and fab work?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, you should be fine welding up to around 1/4" plate or even a bit more with some practice and a 140.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I did something stupid.

But it was only 10bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Please aim them correctly(looks like the driver's side one shoots up) or don't run with them on so people who drive regular people cars won't want to follow you home with a bat and adjust them for you.