Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Home stretch. I will likely be qualified in six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Two Finger posted:

Oh, that awesome stretch towards the end, where everybody expects you to do an officer's job while you still get cadet's pay.

Wait, that's only awesome for me since the cadet does my job. Nevermind.

In other news, a recruiting service I signed up with five years ago sent me their first job posting today.

...for the place I just spent four years at. :ughh:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Oh, that awesome stretch towards the end, where everybody expects you to do an officer's job while you still get cadet's pay.

In other news, a recruiting service I signed up with five years ago sent me their first job posting today.

...for the job I just left after four years. :ughh:

My sea time is all done. I'm doing the last of my study now (and because of the hosed up way the NZ system works I have to sit all Chief's level papers, thermo, mechanics, etc :argh:)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Two Finger posted:

congrats! I sent in my application 6 weeks ago

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

My sea time is all done. I'm doing the last of my study now (and because of the hosed up way the NZ system works I have to sit all Chief's level papers, thermo, mechanics, etc :argh:)

On the other hand, having your chief exams done right after school is a lot easier than doing them in five years. At least it would be for deck; I knew my astro a lot better coming out of school than I do now...

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 30, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, it's good because then for my second's and chief's I only have to do EKs, but it's a huge pain in the rear end right now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

EK here is the deck Engineering Knowledge exam series, I'm guessing they're orals over there?

I onl had to take the oral for Chief Mate Near Coastal (Or would have if I'd bothered with it), then two writtens, one simulator, one practical and the oral for the Chief Mate, Unlimited. Now all I got is three written and an oral for the Master Mariner. Everything else is exempted because I had good enough grades in school! And I was lucky enough to attend while the school still had to exemptions, but heh.

Starting a new job next week, got a huge sunburn on my face today. Awesome.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 30, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, written exams first then orals. Not really looking forward to it, from what I've heard it is pretty intense, but when (if) I make it, it is going to be a sweet feeling.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don't know what it's like in NZ, but around here, unless you're a total absolute fuckhead of a goddamn idiot who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a floating log, much less a ship, you're gonna pass the orals. I know a guy who flunked his OOW twice... Took him eight years to finish his diploma, too. He's the only case I've heard of someone botching the oral, except for a girl who's rumoured to have had a nervous breakdown.

The exams, now, that might require a bit of studying. Annoy the guys who passed them recently, get questions, pass.

But seriously, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. If you were too dumb to pass the exams, you would know already. Trust me. And yes, it's a wonderful feeling; when I get my OOW I started laughing as soon as I walked out of the TSB office and kept laughing for a solid twenty minutes. The CM was... Anticlimatic. Kind of a "Uh, that was easy" feeling.

(Oh yeah, engineering is a bit tougher, apparently. OTOH, examiners are well aware that the industry needs more engineers, so...)

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 30, 2012

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

...for the place I just spent four years at. :ughh:

So did you send in a resume?

Ugh, Shenzhen is actually really nice for China but man is the shipyard terrible. One of the Maersk ships just left to go to Singapore to finish the shipyard cause they were so awful here. Spent last night on the ship due to a typhoon that didnt happen which was cool cause oh hey 15 hours of OT. Still would rather have been ashore. We are currently stuck eating canned tuna, Ritz crackers and Skippy on the ship cause we have no steam, no galley or stores for another 4-5 days. Oh well, thats $40 per meal at least.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

So did you send in a resume?

:roflolmao:

I did send an email to recruiting. They've been advertising that they need first mates, and they're willing to train them, so I sent them an email saying "Hey, I've got a Chief mate's ticket and I've been working for you for years so..."

Never heard back, my office source tells me they don't need someone RIGHT NOW, although it would make sense to, you know, give me a call and make sure I don't ship out elsewhere? Woops, too late.

lightpole posted:

Ugh, Shenzhen is actually really nice for China but man is the shipyard terrible.

China's awesome to visit, but everything I hear about chinese yards and chinese built ships ranges from the hilarious to the depressing. Like the deck plating under a bollard popping when the bunker barge starts pulling, stuff like that.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 13, 2013

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Finished the training ship cruise. It was ok, but it reminded me mostly of field school in my archaeology days. Kind of a shitshow but fun. It was funny seeing my buddy who is 30 get his first taste of that "I'm too old for summer camp but here I am" experience though.

I am much more excited to be a cadet on a real ship in the winter and spring. Right now I feel like I know some stuff about how things physically work but not a drat thing about the job per se.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of cruises... I want that guy who posted the 'look at how drunk I get and all the hot chicks I gently caress' thread about cruise ships to come back and brag some more. It turns out I knew someone on his ship and almost everything he posted was total bullshit and the best part is his girl apparently has a moustache.
That, and he fainted during a lifeboat drill because he was so hungover. Love it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

China's awesome to visit, but everything I hear about chinese yards and chinese built ships ranges from the hilarious to the depressing. Like the deck plating under a bollard popping when the bunker barge starts pulling, stuff like that.

China is usually a dirty shithole but Shenzhen is bordering on Japan levels of cleanliness. Ive never done a shipyard before but even with how awful the Chinese are at it here it is still pretty impressive. Aside from the people who live on the island they have constant ferries throughout the day. When they leave the island theres a limited number of buses to take them home, if they arent quick enough then they are standing or missing the bus completely. Its really strange when you near the dock and all the sudden the ferry takes on a large starboard list. The Maersk guys were taking bets on who would be the first to the top of the stairs.

Last night ashore, I am going to miss the hotel. I have duty tomorrow night and then we start sea watches on the 3rd. I pulled the 8-12. The other 3rd is moving up to 1st when we hit Oakland and he likes the 12-4 better he says.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 1, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Speaking of cruises... I want that guy who posted the 'look at how drunk I get and all the hot chicks I gently caress' thread about cruise ships to come back and brag some more. It turns out I knew someone on his ship and almost everything he posted was total bullshit and the best part is his girl apparently has a moustache.
That, and he fainted during a lifeboat drill because he was so hungover. Love it.

Bullshit? In my AT? I think I know one girl in the background of one of his pictures, I never asked her about it.

Stage staff and techs have tons of free time and nearly unlimited access to alcohol. That's *the* recipe for a guy in a black shirt fainting next to a life raft station. Training those guys was always hilarious... I still say they have one of the best jobs onboard.

lightpole posted:

Last night ashore, I am going to miss the hotel. I have duty tomorrow night and then we start sea watches on the 3rd. I pulled the 8-12. The other 3rd is moving up to 1st when we hit Oakland and he likes the 12-4 better he says.

The 8-12 is the best watch if you have a Captain / Chief Engineer who leaves you the gently caress alone, otherwise the 12-4 is the least lovely watch.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

The 8-12 is the best watch if you have a Captain / Chief Engineer who leaves you the gently caress alone, otherwise the 12-4 is the least lovely watch.

Chief Mate you mean? The only time the Cheng speaks to anyone on the deck side is in the duty mess at meal times. At least on my ship.

Although we run a extra 3rd so the mate doesn't stand a watch, unless were loading/discharging he spends his days drinking coffee and sending the deck cadet down tanks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pazrs posted:

Although we run a extra 3rd so the mate doesn't stand a watch, unless were loading/discharging he spends his days drinking coffee and sending the deck cadet down tanks.

I am having visions of some rear end in a top hat dutch prick pointing at the tanks on a drawing one after the other and not saying a word while glaring at the cadet. This amuses me.

I'm also reminded a little of a good friend of mine who went upstairs for some bridge experience and got thrown off the bridge inside two days because he annoyed the hell out of the OOW so much. Apparently he drank 14 coffees in two hours because he was so bored.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Well I finally got into TC and got my orals done, now I've got my OOW Unlimited (Canadian) and it's time to try and get into the work force. Put in a few resumes around here in Newfoundland (offshore anchor crankers) but wondering does anyone know of some good crewing agencies or resources to try and find stuff going a bit more far flung? I mean the offshore here is great pay and good time off, but it isn't the most intriguing job when you are on stand by for 28 days. Be nice to get a bit of experience foreign going to start off, as I don't really mind 4 or 5 month hitches, but don't know where to start.

aqae
Mar 7, 2012

salt
I'm an integrated rating in the Australian industry. Currently floating around off the coast of Indonesia doing seismic surveying. Nearly 4 weeks into the 5 week swing (posting to you from the engine control room!)

Cool to find this thread...

I've got my TAGS books to do the mates (2nd) understudy but can't see myself in the industry forever and am kinda afraid of the commitment, plus I like a lot of the hands on stuff and variety that we do on deck (not saying it isn't done by mates) but eh, what can I say... sucker for responsibility.

Met some very cool people, this is the first ship I've sailed on with a largely foreign crew + client compliment. Ukrainian skipper and engineers, phillipinos, heap of british in the seismic dept... gotta say though... this ship has seen better days. Absolute hunk of shite. Stores was a nightmare when we picked the thing up in Bali, barely any food, and what was left was either rotten or had weevels. Made me appreciate my Aussie vessels!

add: Since I started in this game I always wanted to get on the anchor handlers. This is my first stint offshore. Gotta say seismic is pretty slow. and boring as hell. I'm hoping this mob will give me a stint on one of their clankers... the money is magic here (cabin share allowance, too ha)

Are anchor handlers really all they're made up to be? They sound like the kinda stuff I really wanna be doing. High intensity, hands on badass stuff. My other option is with an Antarctic supply vessel and they're offering me a permanent job but it's quite a considerably paycut from the offshore... but the other plus is they're laid up though winter in the port where I plan on moving in the next year or so... so... money or lifestyle?

aqae fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Run into any kiwis on there mate? My brother is on a seismic ship, wondering if you might have met him.

aqae
Mar 7, 2012

salt
yeah the first engineer is a kiwi. I'm on watch with him now. He's a pretty cool bloke.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I was gonna ask his name but you don't have PM's enabled. I don't think it's one of the guys I know because the first I know just headed off home. I wonder if I know him...

aqae
Mar 7, 2012

salt
well the one on here I know his name is J***. The chef is kiwi too but is a 'she'.

It's a real mixed bag on here, as I said I've never been on with such a mixed up crew before.

(edited for privacy)

aqae fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 12, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

https://www.shipout.ca is your first stop if you want to work on the lakes.

All the cruise companies will hire Canadians, so feel free to drop them a line. Otherwise... We don't have any company that does deep sea with Canadian crews AFAIK. Try pretty much any site, but there's a chance they'll refer you to a Canadian company or just assume you won't be interested since the pay is so low.

Where did you do your time?

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

aqae posted:

I'm an integrated rating in the Australian industry. Currently floating around off the coast of Indonesia doing seismic surveying. Nearly 4 weeks into the 5 week swing (posting to you from the engine control room!)

Cool to find this thread...

I've got my TAGS books to do the mates (2nd) understudy but can't see myself in the industry forever and am kinda afraid of the commitment, plus I like a lot of the hands on stuff and variety that we do on deck (not saying it isn't done by mates) but eh, what can I say... sucker for responsibility.

Met some very cool people, this is the first ship I've sailed on with a largely foreign crew + client compliment. Ukrainian skipper and engineers, phillipinos, heap of british in the seismic dept... gotta say though... this ship has seen better days. Absolute hunk of shite. Stores was a nightmare when we picked the thing up in Bali, barely any food, and what was left was either rotten or had weevels. Made me appreciate my Aussie vessels!

add: Since I started in this game I always wanted to get on the anchor handlers. This is my first stint offshore. Gotta say seismic is pretty slow. and boring as hell. I'm hoping this mob will give me a stint on one of their clankers... the money is magic here (cabin share allowance, too ha)

Are anchor handlers really all they're made up to be? They sound like the kinda stuff I really wanna be doing. High intensity, hands on badass stuff. My other option is with an Antarctic supply vessel and they're offering me a permanent job but it's quite a considerably paycut from the offshore... but the other plus is they're laid up though winter in the port where I plan on moving in the next year or so... so... money or lifestyle?

Chase the coin. 'Lifestyle' happens in your time off.

I've heard the Australis is a bit of a poo poo box and P&O are pricks to work for. I'd hit up Farstad/GO Marine/Mermaid/Svitzer etc. and go straight to the north west shelf.

Zero Gravy
Jan 14, 2003

Anyone have experience with Work Boat Academy (workboatacademy.com)? I'm getting the ball rolling on a career change to Merchant Marine and looking at different routes.

Also, I live in the Miami area and was curious if anyone had leads on what union hall to go to/companies hiring/etc..

Thanks. My appointment to obtain my MMD is next week.

aqae
Mar 7, 2012

salt
The Australis isn't so bad. Sure she's old but it's a pretty happy ship. If they keep the contract with CSIRO they'll (allegedly) be getting a couple new icebreakers to take on the dual role she does (marine science + resupply) and they would be pretty cool to check out. And hey maybe one day the salary will get bumped up for the nature of work (it's practically offshore work in most cases)

I'm with Go at the moment on this seismic ship. To be honest this was a loving nightmare to get on. So much loving around with the office for T-BOSIET, and the joining dates changed about a dozen times, and I had to cut a holiday short (but hey such is the nature of the job, right? and being casual...) but they had me joining on the 21st so I made the plans to get home for the flight, they rang me up on the 17th and told me my flight was the 19th instead... By the time we landed in bali I had been up for 3 days.

They go through crewing officers like underwear. Every time they call you're speaking to a new person. it seems really disorganised. They've already offered me permanency but I really liked the Australis and as I said, the layup through winter sounds really appealing if I want to be living in Hobart. And having a girlfriend and all the rest of it.

The money is great and all, but I have some kind of moral conflict of interest working in the oil & gas industry (I know, I know).

Anyway, enough of a pisswhinge from me. Depends what P&O offer me. But for the most part I really enjoy the Antarctic gig. And as my bosun on there said; "this is the last real bluewater job on the coast"

Herman Brood
Jan 30, 2006

Hiya guys, here's a little update from the ex-gencar turned heavy lifter, now one month into his first contract on a semi-submersible roro/lilo/floflo...

This job is AWESOME! Much better than shipping loving cement from Finland to France for months at end. We're currently in Italy loading for Australia. The job's a bit tougher, but much much MUCH more interesting. I'm learning plenty! Why the gently caress did I waste almost three years on short sea general cargo bullshit? No offense to any of you guys in that trade of course :)

Only downside is we spend loads of time in port preparing for the cargo. Oh wait, no it isn't!

Anyway, good steam to all of you and stay safe out there.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

https://www.shipout.ca is your first stop if you want to work on the lakes.

All the cruise companies will hire Canadians, so feel free to drop them a line. Otherwise... We don't have any company that does deep sea with Canadian crews AFAIK. Try pretty much any site, but there's a chance they'll refer you to a Canadian company or just assume you won't be interested since the pay is so low.

Where did you do your time?

I did 6 months on offshore anchor handlers and 6 months doing coastal tanker work in the arctic/Labrador on a 3000GT product tanker. Pretty good work terms I did 4 and 5 month hitches but overall enjoyed it. Got my DP induction with 4 months signed off as well, so I could do the simulator, held off because its 3 grand that I don't have but would be willing to do it for work. Thanks for the shipout link, I've been hitting up all these random websites but a lot of them look like scams I'm not really sure which to trust.

I've thought about the lakes a bit and to be honest I'm a bit nervous about the whole seaway aspect. I assume you get up there though as a jr officer and the Captain is pretty on top of things? I've done a good runs in narrow spots on the Labrador coast and stuff but I feel like I'd be out of my element jumping right in as 3rd Mate on a laker.

flashman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 14, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Oh God, don't worry, pilotage is the last of your worries as a third mate. It'll be years before they let you conn anything but SES, lake St-Clair, Lansing and Mackinaw.

Seriously, as long as you don't have a heart attack every time the echo sounder shows 0 and know how to use PI, you'll be fine. Personally, I'd stick to the offshore jobs, tho. Much better conditions and pay from what I've heard... And get your DP, why is that even a question.

Did you graduate MI this year?

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 14, 2012

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

pazrs posted:

Chase the coin. 'Lifestyle' happens in your time off.

I think this is a good motto.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

I think this is a good motto.

You're gonna love the lakes.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Oh God, don't worry, pilotage is the last of your worries as a third mate. It'll be years before they let you conn anything but SES, lake St-Clair, Lansing and Mackinaw.

Seriously, as long as you don't have a heart attack every time the echo sounder shows 0 and know how to use PI, you'll be fine. Personally, I'd stick to the offshore jobs, tho. Much better conditions and pay from what I've heard... And get your DP, why is that even a question.

Did you graduate MI this year?

Ahh okay, sort of what I figured. Working Labrador and Arctic the third would do all these narrow runs and stuff with little help from the Captain so I wasn't sure if it was the same up there.

Yeah graduated this year. Feels good to be free but in the end wish I had done the MOT way instead. Offshore is good pay and time off yeah, but it's pretty brutal in the winter, and it's real popular, so despite having the regulations with respect to crewing Newfoundlanders you could be a good while on deck depending on who you get stuck behind. Not necessarily a bad thing to be on deck but went to school for 4 years to be a mate in a timely manner you know?

flashman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 14, 2012

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

aqae posted:

sup seismic buddy currently on a norwegian flagged vessle (changing to FOC in August/September and replacing all the junior officers and AB's) on your ship is it the engineers or the seismic crew who has the responsibility for the seismic compressors?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Got a lucky break and am heading out as junior Officer on one of the supply boats tomorrow. A bit nervous but I'm sure the senior officers are just as nervous about me so it will all work out in the end.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nah, they aren't. They're fully aware of your experience level; you aren't the first newbie they've dealt with.

Double check your work, listen to your AB and watchmen, use a little judgement and if you're in doubt, wake someone up. There's no such thing as a stupid question (even if some mates / captain would tell you otherwise), so ask.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Been getting around 3 hours sleep a day lately but made it across the pacific and can catch up now. Managed to fix most of the damage from the shipyard. No OWS but ABS and the USCG let us sail since we (theoretically) have enough capacity for two weeks. We did fill up the slop tank on the way to Shanghai since the Chinese like to turn valves for no reason and not tighten anything. When we tried to pump it off the barge saw it was water, shut down the transfer and left.

Evap leaked like a sieve but the chief didn't want to take it down for a second since we were losing a shipload of water. After a day in the STBD steam drum (warm) and isolating the port economizer (yay no steam drum) we were able to get ahead.

Ugh. Otherwise everyone is pretty cool and I like steam.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Shipyard was contracted to dispose of slops and sewage. This was pumped over the side to a barge until it left and then it was just pumped over the side. Even in dry dock.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

:china:

In other news, you guys hear about the yard guy who set a submarine on fire so he could get out of work early?

Admit it, you've all thought about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Someone let the smoke out of the main contactor for the STBD steering gear motor.

Ship was delayed in Shanghai cause company didn't pay DHL bill.

• Locked thread