Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
One of our 3750X switches suffered some damage. Anyone know if the StackWise module is replaceable? I can't find any info on removing it or a part number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Does 'show module' or 'show diag' (or whatever) show it as a module? If so it tends to list a part number.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I think for this switch/OS it's show inventory. Unfortunately it only shows the power supplies, 1 and 10 gig modules, and SFPs. Funny that it doesn't show the fans, because those are hot swappable as well.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

show inventory raw

I think it is.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you are running 15.0 code, I believe sh ver, will break down all the parts. As well as the handy licensing...

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
No luck on any of those, but thanks :) I guess we'll run it by our Cisco rep and see what we can do.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

VR Cowboy posted:

One of our 3750X switches suffered some damage. Anyone know if the StackWise module is replaceable? I can't find any info on removing it or a part number.

Can't you also run these with just one stacking cable? I know the bandwidth is going to be reduced but at least it's not useless.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Fatal posted:

Can't you also run these with just one stacking cable? I know the bandwidth is going to be reduced but at least it's not useless.

We were for a long time and finally had a maintenance night to swap in a new one.
Stacked switches are so nice.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

My IOS-fu is weak, maybe you guys can help. I changed numbers here but the concept is the same:

our subnet: 192.168.1.0/24
our server: 192.168.1.200

their subnet: 192.168.2.0/24

VPN is currently verified up and working with a loopback interface (10.20.30.40) on the UC.

Remote site wants to see traffic coming from $SERVER_IP as 10.20.30.40 through this tunnel. It's the only machine on our network that will talk over this link. Traffic from 192.168.2.0/24 should be able to go back to this server, too.

I know it's some NAT magic to make it work, but I'm having trouble determining where to put the statements. And I assume something will have to be done with the loopback.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

aeflux posted:

My IOS-fu is weak, maybe you guys can help. I changed numbers here but the concept is the same:

VPN is currently verified up and working with a loopback interface (10.20.30.40) on the UC.

Remote site wants to see traffic coming from $SERVER_IP as 10.20.30.40 through this tunnel. It's the only machine on our network that will talk over this link. Traffic from 192.168.2.0/24 should be able to go back to this server, too.

I know it's some NAT magic to make it work, but I'm having trouble determining where to put the statements. And I assume something will have to be done with the loopback.
Your ACL for the VPN just specifies a a host on one side, a subnet on the other. If the router is also doing NAT you have to deny that from your NAT ACL as well. Should end up something like this, although you can do NAT differently:

code:
ip access-list extended ACL-NONAT
 deny   ip 192.168 1.0.0.255 host 10.20.30.40
 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

ip access-list extended ACL-VPN
 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 host 10.20.30.40

route-map ROUTEMAP-NONAT permit 10
 match ip address ACL-NONAT

ip nat inside source route-map ROUTEMAP-NONAT interface FastEthernet0/0 overload

interface FastEthernet0/0
 crypto map MAP-VPN

crypto ipsec transform-set TRANSFORM-VPN aes-3des esp-sha-hmac

crypto map MAP-VPN 1 ipsec-isakmp
 set peer 1.2.3.4
 set transform-set TRANSFORM-VPN
 set pfs group2
 match address ACL-VPN
EDIT: I guess I ignored your stuff about the loopback. Why do you want this traffic to appear to be coming from the loopback of the router?

falz fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 17, 2012

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

The guy I talked to said this company has lots of VPN connections so they want to see our traffic coming as 10.20.30.40 instead of 192.168.1.200.

To clarify: 10.20.30.40 is a loopback set for testing this VPN (before the server arrived). I can get rid of it.

I have those natacls set up on fa0/0 for the VPN and everything works just peachy.

Now I have to translate the traffic destined for 192.168.2.0 from 192.168.1.200 to 10.20.30.40.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

Found an overlap writeup on Cisco similar to what is going on. Time to RTFM:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_configuration_example09186a0080a0ece4.shtml

We don't have an overlap on our side (they do) so I can let the 192.168.2.0/24 traffic go right to 192.168.1.200.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

aeflux posted:

The guy I talked to said this company has lots of VPN connections so they want to see our traffic coming as 10.20.30.40 instead of 192.168.1.200.
You should have told him that that was fine, he was free to NAT your packets however he liked :smug:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jwh posted:

You should have told him that that was fine, he was free to NAT your packets however he liked :smug:

Have literally done that before when we were running BGP with a bunch of clients.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

jwh posted:

Then his boss gets an angry email from the business parter about how the security engineer isn't being helpful.

Usually when that comes up I'll just force them to NAT too "Oh yeah, the IPs you're telling me to encrypt to are used in one of my intermediate segments, so you'll need to NAT as well". Share my pain.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

ragzilla posted:

Then his boss gets an angry email from the business parter about how the security engineer isn't being helpful.

Usually when that comes up I'll just force them to NAT too "Oh yeah, the IPs you're telling me to encrypt to are used in one of my intermediate segments, so you'll need to NAT as well". Share my pain.

That's dirty.

Anyone using Nexus 2248's for ToR?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Quick question, for Cisco ASA. Does anyone use the CLI to configure\manage access rules? Or is everyone using the ASDM?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm scared of managing the rules via CLI.

On a side note, I'm glad Cisco finally created a way to do a global policy, as opposed to interface-specific policy. It makes things much easier when porting from other global-rule platforms.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

jwh posted:

I'm scared of managing the rules via CLI.

Whereas I'm scared of changing things via the ASDM. I put a vpn-session-timeout in via the ASDM and when rancid picked up the change it let me know that somehow a vpn-tunnel-protocol statement went in too. Thankfully rancid noticed before my users did...

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I work with ASA's and FWSM's every day and it's mostly via the ASDM. Rarely I'll have an issue that seems to be easier to shake out via CLI.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Tied game. I only use ASDM to configure some VPN policies, mostly RA.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've never touched ASDM, worked pretty extensively with 7.x to 8.5 code. I kind of giggle when I see a ASA littered with DM_INLINE object groups

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

We use ASDM exclusively to guarantee that each tech does the same thing as the previous one. The only time we tend to delve into CLI is to tell someone's VPN partner that they're doing something stupid (like sending us a P1 proposal of only DES/MD5/DH2).

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

routenull0 posted:

That's dirty.

Anyone using Nexus 2248's for ToR?

I have a some experience with Nexus stuff - mainly 7000s, 5000s and 2000s.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
ASDM for vpn and ssl vpn configuration. CLI for everything else.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
ASDM for everything because we have 3 folks that can make changes. That way there aren't multiple naming conventions, etc. FWIW, the CCNP Security exam uses ASDM.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

lol internet. posted:

Quick question, for Cisco ASA. Does anyone use the CLI to configure\manage access rules? Or is everyone using the ASDM?

I don't deal with ASAs myself, but some people at my company do and nobody uses ASDM for anything, including this. I've come across a couple of customers using ASDM though.

namol
Mar 21, 2007
What's the consensus on gear/hardware for setting up a small home ccna lab for studying? I've done some poking around on ebay for "CCNA Kits" and a lot of them are coming with 3 switches (2950s) and 2 routers (2610). I'm looking for something that can help me get my ccna but also be usable for the ccnp etc. Does anyone have any recommended sources besides ebay for looking for hardware?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Buy a few used switches from mfreeman@ecsunix.com who is/was a goon and use GNS3/Dynamips and a bunch of NICs to emulate the routers.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

lol internet. posted:

I prefer CLI because notepad is my best friend. Also prefer the show commands for the troubleshooting.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
One thing that is nice with ASDM is the CLI window. If you have a metric fuckton of poo poo you are trying to merge into a new ASA it works better than cut/paste into a Putty session.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

namol posted:

What's the consensus on gear/hardware for setting up a small home ccna lab for studying? I've done some poking around on ebay for "CCNA Kits" and a lot of them are coming with 3 switches (2950s) and 2 routers (2610). I'm looking for something that can help me get my ccna but also be usable for the ccnp etc. Does anyone have any recommended sources besides ebay for looking for hardware?

From first hand experience you don't need to buy a kit for that. What is good to do is find some lab books you want to use and then plan your layout from that. A simple kit, 5 1721s, 1 AS2511-RJ, 1 2523, 2 3550s, a few WIC2Ts, some rollover cables for the access server, crossovers and patch cables.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

namol posted:

If you want to plan for CCNP, you probably want to get at least one Layer-3 switch. The rest you can probably do in GNS3, as was mentioned above.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Tremblay posted:

One thing that is nice with ASDM is the CLI window. If you have a metric fuckton of poo poo you are trying to merge into a new ASA it works better than cut/paste into a Putty session.
What exactly does its CLI do differently? Except require java.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

falz posted:

What exactly does its CLI do differently? Except require java.

It sends the commands line by line, unlike putty which just spews out a bunch of poo poo and loses random lines while the processor on the ASA isn't answering interrupts because it's busy with the last 20 lines.

Alternatively there are serial clients which will line buffer and paste over time which also prevents this.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ragzilla posted:

It sends the commands line by line, unlike putty which just spews out a bunch of poo poo and loses random lines while the processor on the ASA isn't answering interrupts because it's busy with the last 20 lines.

Alternatively there are serial clients which will line buffer and paste over time which also prevents this.
True using SSH.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Anyone know anything about an Edgemarc device? We're using it as an edge device for a customer. /30 on the circuit, routing them a /29. The Edgemarc does NAT for a private range just fine, but he wants public devices on the /29 to sit directly off the Edgemarc.

Another employee configures these for a separate department. He says "Proxy ARP" has to be setup with the /29 but each IP has to be placed in the range as a /32.

Problem is that any device with an IP from the /29 can't access the net with the Edgemarc's /32 as the default gateway. I don't know what to do since I've confirmed routing and made sure all of my Cisco stuff is humming.

I'm not exactly sure what to do since it's something I normally don't work with and got stuck with by happenstance.

Also I'm worried about the lack of a firewall and a non Cisco device is a security risk.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

aeflux posted:

Got SB support on the line since it was getting close to deadline. There's the usual VPN setup for this (see falz's post) with a few twists:

Applied to the crypto map:
code:
access-list 140 permit ip host 10.20.30.40 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255
Applied to the nat-acl fa0/0 overload:
code:
deny ip host 10.20.30.40 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255
deny   ip host 192.168.1.200 host 192.168.2.1
deny   ip host 192.168.1.200 host 192.168.2.2
And some routing magic:
code:
ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.200 10.20.30.40 route-map MYMAP

route-map MYMAP permit 10
 match ip address 150

access-list 150 permit ip host 192.168.1.200 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255
Works as advertised. I'm liking the CLI for setting stuff up but I haven't touched the SDM for anything yet.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but I'm just studying for the CCNA and wanted to know what happens to UDP traffic in a setup with load-ballancing? UDP doesn't offer any sort of error-recovery or reordering of packets, so if the traffic gets load ballanced over unequal links, how come it doesn't become scrambled on the other end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

zalmoxes posted:

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but I'm just studying for the CCNA and wanted to know what happens to UDP traffic in a setup with load-ballancing? UDP doesn't offer any sort of error-recovery or reordering of packets, so if the traffic gets load ballanced over unequal links, how come it doesn't become scrambled on the other end?
Assuming you're talking about per-packet load balancing I am pretty sure you're right, packets would get scrambled up. Here is the best explanation I could find:

quote:

Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF) can perform per-packet or per-destination (actually source/destination IP address pair) load-sharing with no performance degradation (without CEF, per-packet load-sharing requires process switching). Even though there is no performance impact on the router, per-packet load sharing will almost always result in out-of-order packets. The packet reordering might degrade TCP throughput in high-speed environments (in low-speed/few-flows scenarios, per-packet load-sharing actually improves the per-flow throughput) or severely impact applications that cannot survive out-of-order packet delivery, such as Fast Sequenced Transport for SNA over IP or voice/video streams.

Source: http://blog.ioshints.info/2006/12/per-destination-or-per-packet-cef-load.html