Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That's AP style too, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mike Florio has a theory on the Dolphins QB competition:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/18/dolphins-see-post-draft-spike-in-season-ticket-sales/

quote:

The Dolphins’ effort to fill those ugly orange seats at Sun Life Stadium is working.

Sort of.

Team president Mike Dee tells Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald that the Dolphins have sold 6,000 new season tickets, with most of that spike coming since the draft.

Dee says that the increase in ticket sales has caused the team to re-evaluate plans to reduce the capacity of the stadium.

The fact that the sales came mainly after the draft means that the decision to draft quarterback Ryan Tannehill may have played a role in the box-office success. Which means that fans will expect to see Tannehill on the field. Which may not happen.

“I’m trying not to put too many grandiose expectations on the kid,” G.M. Jeff Ireland tells the team’s official website, per Jackson. ”I think the kid is our future. Obviously, I wouldn’t have drafted him with the eighth pick [otherwise]. I feel like he’s the kind of guy you want in the locker-room, the kind of athlete you want running an offense. But we’ve got two other quarterbacks here that are very established, very good competitors, so it’s not going to be easy for him.”

We still think that the Dolphins could be setting up a phony competition, allowing Tannehill to enter Week One of his rookie season with the boost of confidence that comes from leapfrogging Matt Moore and David Garrard on the depth chart.

Of course, the flaw in that logic could be the notion that leapfrogging Moore and Garrard would actually give Tannehill confidence. And so maybe the purpose of a potentially phony competition is to avoid Tannehill from becoming completely discouraged by his failure to overcome Moore and Garrard on the depth chart.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Florio assumes the Dolphins are ran by Ashton Kutcher

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I love how so many people think professional athletes need more positive reinforcement than a four year old. NFL QB's must be like fragile little butterflies. Maybe the Dolphins should even give Tannehill a mini-Lombardi inscribed with "QB Contest Winner" at the end of camp.

The Gobbledygooker
Apr 5, 2007

Apparently its totally implausablie to Florio that a rookie, could possibly be worse then two different veterans, who have ranged from good to eh at times.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

NC-17 posted:

I love how so many people think professional athletes need more positive reinforcement than a four year old. NFL QB's must be like fragile little butterflies. Maybe the Dolphins should even give Tannehill a mini-Lombardi inscribed with "QB Contest Winner" at the end of camp.

Each player on the team gets a "PARTICIPANT" ribbon before Week 1.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It depresses me that Florio gets paid a lot more than I do.

E: For the crappy writing, not the lawyering.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

It depresses me that Florio gets paid a lot more than I do.

E: For the crappy writing, not the lawyering.

If he's this to sports writing I'd love to know how he is as an attorney.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

NC-17 posted:

Every sports broadcaster is guilty of overusing the word confidence to a horrendous degree.

Apparently the fragile psyches of athletes go through more swings of extreme realization followed by crippling self-doubt in one 3-hour game than any of us knew. gently caress me, I just figured for many of them it was a workday.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Crazy685 posted:

If he's this to sports writing I'd love to know how he is as an attorney.

If, as a lawyer running his own practice, he had enough spare time to run a 24-hour sports news aggregator out of his basement, I'm willing to bet he didn't have the most successful practice in the world.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

I like how the "flaw in that logic" is because Matt Moore and David Gerrard are bad so beating them out wouldn't boost his confidence. Not all the other reasons is a stupid loving thing to say.

And yeah, he gave up being a lawyer to do PFT a long time ago.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If Florio and Peter King were TFF posters what would their avatars' be?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

NC-17 posted:

An unending succession of large, angry red text telling them what faggots they are

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GD_American posted:

An unending succession of large, angry red text telling them what faggots they are

Perma-bans for having the FBI called on Something Awfule because Gendo is driven up the wall till he finally snaps, picks up a cheerleader from any Minnesota sports team, and paints in her blood "The only way to stop the losing is death."

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

NC-17 posted:

Florio would have gotten some red title and then spend lots of time on probation for "trolling"

Peter King would get red text but constantly get new ones of Tom Brady or Bill Belichick.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

NC-17 posted:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE YUMMINESS OF THE ENTIRE PATRIOTS ORGANIZATION SHOVING ITS COLLECTIVE PENIS THROUGH MY ALIMENTARY CANAL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GD_American posted:

Apparently the fragile psyches of athletes go through more swings of extreme realization followed by crippling self-doubt in one 3-hour game than any of us knew.

Hockey goalies, man. You pull one too early or too late and you risk breaking them forever. Like horse or sled dog.

Of course, they probably already suffer from some mental issues in the first place, given their chosen vocation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tae posted:

Florio assumes the Dolphins are ran by Ashton Kutcher

Why, has Demi Moore been seen in Miami recently?

midwat
May 6, 2007

NC-17 posted:

Florio's avatar would be Roger Goodell, gettin' ready to deal some arbitrary justice to those miscreant players.

PK would have the Stupid Newbie avatar, because he's not smart enough to set an av during registration and won't deprive himself of a triple venti white chocolate chai caramel macchiato to fix it.

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!
on the other end of the spectrum i have such a boner for jenny vrentas

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=w1O0CcUj&full=true#display

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AdamD posted:

on the other end of the spectrum i have such a boner for jenny vrentas

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=w1O0CcUj&full=true#display

meh she's kind of a butterface

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

Chichevache posted:

meh she's kind of a butterface

i meant her journalism but i'd still shack up

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yeah is this the women's appearances thread or can we talk about a female writer for her writing

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

Rap posted:

Yeah is this the women's appearances thread or can we talk about a female writer for her writing

You're right he shouldn't have taken a sexual implication from the use of the word boner

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

don't be sexist that's a totally gender neutral term I talk all the time about how I'd like to grab the back of Jeff Duncan's fine Saints coverage and gently caress it into a coma

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

AdamD posted:

on the other end of the spectrum i have such a non-sexual appreciation for jenny vrentas

there is that better? this is a dumb argument and its a good piece.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

i like how you turn into an adult when it's time for American Sports Journalism talk

It's cute

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
my posting ways are mysterious indeed. the spirit of Boniface touches me, and I fall down

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Rap posted:

my posting ways are mysterious indeed. the spirit of Boniface touches me, and I fall down

I had a bottle of that stuff once but last I saw of it, my wife poured me a mugfull and next thing i know the mug was flying at my head.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nrr posted:

I had a bottle of that stuff once but last I saw of it, my wife poured me a mugfull and next thing i know the mug was flying at my head.

A little off topic, but do you think your catch rate will improve now that Jay Cutler is throwing to you again?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Chichevache posted:

A little off topic, but do you think your catch rate will improve now that Jay Cutler is throwing to you again?

Well, I didn't think it could get any worse but all he's been throwing me lately is the finger

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

Apologies for necroposting.

I think he's just an employee of Good Karma Broadcasting, not of the WWL itself. At least, that's how I believe WKNR works.

Probably a dead topic, but I wanted to expand on this. I agree with you, WKNR isn't an ESPN slave station, they are an affiliate. I'd bet a good deal of money that short of hiring Jerry Sandusky, ESPN isn't going to say a word about its affiliates' hires.

Also, some background is necessary. WKNR is sort of the David to WTAM's Goliath. WTAM has the broadcast rights for all three big league sports. WKNR therefore has to get their wins where they can (Ohio State football, ESPN shows, Jim Rome), and grabbing a long time Browns beat reporter of Grossi's stature was a no-brainer in my opinion.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nrr posted:

Well, I didn't think it could get any worse but all he's been throwing me lately is the finger

He just wants to show you that it healed, Brandon

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's really too easy to rip on Peter King, especially in this somewhat dishonest fashion. But this amused me:

quote:

Fun vacation. Strange coincidence.

My wife and I went to Dachau

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

It's really too easy to rip on Peter King, especially in this somewhat dishonest fashion. But this amused me:

I saw that too and it amused me. I'm giving him a pass this week though cause that transcripted speech was interesting. It does indicate that his column is best when he isn't actually writing it though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chichevache posted:

Hahahahaha

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Yo, all the time I've wasted becoming a really good reporter is loving worthless if BleacherReport is worth $175 million

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
yep can't believe the sure-fire moneymaker of news reporting failed you blackula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Seriously I got into this game for the money.

• Locked thread