Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I popped my helmet off on the bench this morning to change jerseys and go from light to dark in pick up. I was reminded to never to take your helmet off by a puck flying up into the bench and hitting me square in the cheek. I am never going under a full cage as had I had a half-shield or less as neither would have stopped this drat puck. Also, thank god it wasn't my eye or mouth. Instead of losing vision/ teeth I just have a sore face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the convention is to bitch loudly at whoever shot the puck rather than admit you made a mistake.

It's everyone else's fault, never your own.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Ahhh I wish I wasn't poor as poo poo, I could prob get a team together for Lake Placid.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I'd offer up my services but I cant guarantee that I wont be working then :(

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Im pretty interested because its within reasonable driving distance and Id like to party/play hockey with some goons. But the $$ might be in question, although given the time frame It might not be.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The team appears to be full, unfortunately, but you only need 6 to make it happen!

Also, the cottage might be full but let's see what happens there.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We might have an overflow player or two who might be able to take a spot on another goon team. I am not too sure, we've been sporadically planning in snippets so the big picture is still fragmented.

Next few months can't pass quickly enough, however!

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
News: Went down to block a slapshot from the point and it hit me square in the cup.
Views: I'm a moron, and won't be doing that again

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

So.. what's the deal with power turns?

I ask because my instructor said that the inside foot is really only used for balance, and almost all of the body's weight should be on the outside foot. However, vast numbers of skaters seem to throw up snow with their inside skate when doing these turns which says to me they're splitting weight between the feet evenly.

Doing various internet search seems to agree with the "even distribution of weight", eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0P_gpW8Vmc

I guess the easy answer is "my instructor is an idiot" but he's played college level hockey and at least looks like a pretty good skater so I'm not really sure how to reconcile what he's saying with what everyone else is saying.

It's an issue to me because if I turn like he says, I'm doing fine on technique. But if he's wrong, I'm not putting anywhere near enough weight on the inside foot and am concerned it's robbing me of speed or whatever.

I spent my entire private lesson yesterday working on these. That video is largely how I was taught, although right now, I'm not *as* concerned about the feet being one slightly in front as I am getting them close together as I go into turns.

I'll say this about your instructor. There's a number of explanations for his calling the inside foot the balance foot. The first is he's just trying to get you used to getting your form right before you put more weight on the outside edge. The second is that he's so used to it, that by 'balance' he's saying put some weight on it. It could even be a mix of those two. It's important to get the lean right before you really push your edge and lean further, ya know?

Also, on a personal level, what *really* helped me get my turns looking better was looking around before the turn (like looking early before the cone). It was actually amazing how everything else clicked as I was doing that. It's a stupid thing and you'd think that it wouldn't affect things, but it does.

On a related note:

Does anyone have any suggestions for decent shin guards under 100? I finally talked to people about how much my knees hurt after sessions where I push and fall a lot. My instructor, upon looking at my shinguards was all like "yeah, you need more padding in here". I fall too much and I'm over 200 pounds, so I definitely need something that will provide good padding for my comically large knees.

Im currently using Vapor X30s, which I think are decent cheap guards, they have a nice hard shell unlike some of the shinguards I've seen. I just need something with almost that airbubble poo poo they put in sneakers.

EvilTwig posted:

News: Went down to block a slapshot from the point and it hit me square in the cup.
Views: I'm a moron, and won't be doing that again

the cup did it's job, right? :v:

xzzy posted:

It's everyone else's fault, never your own.

hockey_players.app

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 19, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like my reebok 5k's. I can dive to my knees all day and I don't feel it.. which is weird because I still hesitate when dropping to my knees because I expect it to hurt. It takes a while to rewire the brain.

They're pretty bulky though. I'd suggest going to a hockey store with your skates and trying them on to make sure you like the fit.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JetsGuy posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for decent shin guards under 100?

I have vapor x5's and the knee well is so big for my knees that I do not feel any pressure at all on the knee area when I land on them. The point of pressure is on my leg about 3 inches below knee.

It's odd but such a relief.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use Vapor X:40s and they own.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Reebok 4ks and they feel awesome. I've never been a big fan of massive shin guards so these fit my bill pretty well.

I get about 3/4 calf coverage, not too bulky of a guard, the knee is comfortable when falling directly on the knee cap and I've rarely if ever felt a shot bounce off them that scared me. They tend to stay in place and I dont have to use tape to keep them up.

I always feel like the only person in the locker room who hockey gear was meant for because I rarely if ever use tape to keep my gear on. When I play ice, I put clear on my traditional socks, but thats it.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Shin pads cause concussions, so I don't wear any.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

Shin pads cause concussions, so I don't wear any.

I gotta come watch you play hockey someday. Does everyone skate naked, or just you?

And what's your secret to getting velocity on a slapshot when using a styrofoam puck?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

I gotta come watch you play hockey someday. Does everyone skate naked, or just you?

And what's your secret to getting velocity on a slapshot when using a styrofoam puck?
I skate naked, minus my skate sandals. (I don't wear a boot; they cause concussions, too.)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Thanks for all the input guys, I'll look into all dem pads. Hopefully, they have better padding than my current guards.

xzzy posted:

I know a few guys that play with p much no gear during stick and puck. It's kinda :psyduck: honestly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddam humidity, there's a couple NAHL kids puttering out on the ice but I can't see them because the glass is all fogged. :argh:

I need lunchtime hockey, man.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JetsGuy posted:

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll look into all dem pads. Hopefully, they have better padding than my current guards.

I know a few guys that play with p much no gear during stick and puck. It's kinda :psyduck: honestly.

I honestly tested out the shinguards they had on sale by putting them on, and dropping down on each knee to see how it feels.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 19, 2012

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JetsGuy posted:

I always go to stick and puck with just skates/gloves sometimes I wear my helmet too. I don't know what goes on at your stick and puck but I've never had an issue.

If I was a beginner though I probably would want shinguards and elbowpads I guess.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Dude at Stuck and Puck today with just his stick/gloves/skates/helmet got leveled and then ended up breaking his arm on a bad fall. Everyone told him before to wear full gear. From what I understand, the rink said "gently caress you, you signed the waiver that said you're wearing full gear and may die"

I may be a harbinger of injury. I've seen 2 people break their legs and now this guy. :rolleyes:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Dude at Stuck and Puck today with just his stick/gloves/skates/helmet got leveled and then ended up breaking his arm on a bad fall. Everyone told him before to wear full gear. From what I understand, the rink said "gently caress you, you signed the waiver that said you're wearing full gear and may die"

How did he get hit? Seems pretty hosed up, also gear doesn't mean you wont break your arm when you fall, Only bone I've ever broken I was wearing full gear, AND a cage, so maybe...

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

D C posted:

How did he get hit? Seems pretty hosed up, also gear doesn't mean you wont break your arm when you fall, Only bone I've ever broken I was wearing full gear, AND a cage, so maybe...

You were wearing a cage? I assume that means you got a concussion, too.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Funkutron5000 posted:

You were wearing a cage? I assume that means you got a concussion, too.

Might have, didnt notice because my hand was disconnected from the rest of my arm, broke my radius and ulna.

I tried to pick up my stick and my hand wouldnt work so I skated to the bench.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Hit up against the boards and I believe his lower arm got jammed against the lip where the glass meets the boards. He then went to catch himself before hitting the ground with the same arm and couldn't which made it worse.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

Might have, didnt notice because my hand was disconnected from the rest of my arm, broke my radius and ulna.

I tried to pick up my stick and my hand wouldnt work so I skated to the bench.

That basically is me. Did the cuff of your glove break both of the bones?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

D C posted:

I always go to stick and puck with just skates/gloves sometimes I wear my helmet too. I don't know what goes on at your stick and puck but I've never had an issue.

If I was a beginner though I probably would want shinguards and elbowpads I guess.

I mean, I understand the vets seeing no need to wear full gear because they're not gonna fall and they're just dicking around. What I don't get is the guys who go out in no gear and then play half-ice games. You're gonna get hurt, dumbasses.

Generally, stick and pucks are pretty fine, but at sessions with a lot of kids, I always take a puck at some point in the session. There's always some idiot kid who decides he wants to try a slapshot from the blue line and misses by a full circle width.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've seen more serious injuries at open skates from people in ill-fitting rentals eating it than I have in any of the hockey I've played.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen complete newbies get hurt, kids get hurt, adults get hurt, and college level players get hurt.. in various states of "proper" hockey dress.

It's hockey, it's dangerous, bad poo poo can happen suddenly with no warning.

Being a "pro" skater certainly eliminates some risks but there's still a million ways to get horribly maimed.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

That basically is me. Did the cuff of your glove break both of the bones?

I'm not too sure what happened to be honest. Dumped the puck, took a hit and fell and somehow my wrist broke. I think I landed on the outside of my hand. Along my thumb.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

At the roller rink in the park near me some guys don't wear any protection other than gloves, especially in the summer when it's hot. There's also a few people I've seen with no gloves, but that's just cause they're noobs. I myself don't wear a helmet, but at least realize how stupid I am.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
Had a nice little injury on Sunday evening...got tripped up by a goalie's poke check and slid skates first into the boards pretty hard. Dislocated my ankle and broke my fibula! The goalie said he almost threw up when he saw it. Just had surgery yesterday, I'm sure I won't be back on the ice for quite some time unfortunately.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jesus Christ, that's awful, sorry to hear that. Missing hockey games is the worst, no matter the reason :(

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

robcat posted:

Had a nice little injury on Sunday evening...got tripped up by a goalie's poke check and slid skates first into the boards pretty hard. Dislocated my ankle and broke my fibula! The goalie said he almost threw up when he saw it. Just had surgery yesterday, I'm sure I won't be back on the ice for quite some time unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about your leg. My broken fibula took about 6 months to get back to skating, but I did not need to be operated on. Once you start to get mobile again, you might want to look at getting these cheap forearm crutches ( http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Weight-Forearm-Crutch/dp/B002VWJYV6 ) as they don't build up a callous on your side like the normal ones do.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Oof, was chasing a rebound across the crease in my skills session this morning and got tripped by the goalie. I twisted my back weird going down and it started feeling lovely as soon as I got up. I hope this heals up quick, hurts just to walk around right now.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Took a puck to that small spot between where the shin pad stops and the boot starts. It hurts like hell to walk.. Should I go to the doctor or just let it heal?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

poser posted:

Took a puck to that small spot between where the shin pad stops and the boot starts. It hurts like hell to walk.. Should I go to the doctor or just let it heal?

Id say give it some time. I took a puck there a few weeks ago and it'd still a bit tender. Unless you think it may be broken the drs not going to be able to do anything.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Even if it is broken there might not be anything they can do. I went about a month on a sore/swollen ankle, eventually seeing the doctor when I noticed a definite bone bump where I had taken the puck. They did xrays, the result was basically "it might have been broken but it's healed now, bone bump is just A Thing for you now, nothing we could have done anyways"

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dumb question: Where, online, can I buy that T-shaped inline tool used to pop out bearings?

e: nvm, i am an idiot. finally found it on hockey monkey.

Gio fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I just got back from my summer vacation in Sweden and bought discount inline skates, so now I have more expensive inlines than ice skates, and need to put together both a team to play with, and a team to play against too.

I saw some Salming sticks there too, that looked pretty cool, anyone had any experience with them?