Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
LOL,

I just got a text from my mom. I just turned 42.

God I'm old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ukrainius maximus posted:

I'm going to get in on this again and try out a Rogue this time around. I accidentally deleted a ranger on my account with a bunch of money and some items that I'd like to pass to my rogue, what do you think the chances are that I can get it restored?

If you've got a Gold sub, petition with the character name and it'll be sorted in a couple days. If you're not gold, you're hosed.

quote:

Any good parsing tools out there?

I need to determine how Balee is comparing to other classes. I have a lot of utility, but it would be a shame to slow down the rest of the group.

I think I am going to take Brogyun down to the arena and let my warder chew on his pet and find out what level Beastlord Warder is equivalent to a mage pet. I know the warder is no where near as effective as a mage on a level by level basis, but this guy is supposed to be a L80 warrior.

GamParse is basically the only parsing tool for EQ now. It works pretty well, but getting your filters and windows all set up to parse other's DPS can be a pain.

The biggest problem is that you'll only get 100% accurate parses for yourself. Or if everyone is clustered around the mob being fought. DoT damage is reported around the player, Nukes are reported around the mob, Melee and Ranged are reported around the players.

In exp groups, this usually isn't a problem cause everyone is standing close. But on raids it's usually impossible for one person to get an accurate DPS parse.

From checking my logs, it looks like warders are doing about 50-75% of the dps of mage pets. On burns (like raids and voa named) the players are easily doing 10-20x the dps of the pet. For longer durations, the players are still doing 2-3x more than the pets. (Pets are lovely dps)

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the test server? It was fine last night, now an it says an unknown error is keeping me from connecting. I can log in just fine, the only issue is from the server select screen.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.
I finished the j5 merc missions all by myself for the enchanter tonight. Yay. If anyone needs a hand with it this week give me a holler. I'm just AA grinding now and its great xp so it gives me a way to break the tedium by helping out some goons.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I'm in as a gnome rogue named Tempi, just hit level 7 so I'm blazing trails. I'm going to bug everyone I see in Ominous until I get someone who isn't afk or just happens to notice a tell.

Still nothing on the copper hammer of striking dude? I remember it was an iksar warrior but I can't remember the name at all.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Ylide posted:

I finished the j5 merc missions all by myself for the enchanter tonight. Yay. If anyone needs a hand with it this week give me a holler. I'm just AA grinding now and its great xp so it gives me a way to break the tedium by helping out some goons.

Who are you in as? I would love to get my J5s.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ylide posted:

Well, it took 2 hours but i managed to complete Filling The Repository with two level 82s and a 76 plus mercs. I found a good spot to get single pulls after eating a few evacs/deaths. I can probably get it down to an hour.

It's probably no more time-effective than just mass killing direwind or ashengate but a lot more fun and challenging, plus I can share the TA and pay forward all the ones I got from 75 on up. :)

My enchanter has a only a j2 rogue merc so once i can beg loon or someone to run him through Invasion and get a few more levels on him I'm sure thay will take a lot less time. Yay.

I've seen and heard of a lot of other folks running this mission and even seeling the TA since they nerfed the TA goldmine during HoT. Where does it begin and who gives it? Alla hasn't been working right lately..

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

Keith Stone posted:

Who are you in as? I would love to get my J5s.
Luigi / Nmar

No More Heroes posted:

I've seen and heard of a lot of other folks running this mission and even seeling the TA since they nerfed the TA goldmine during HoT. Where does it begin and who gives it? Alla hasn't been working right lately..

If you google "SoD progression eq" the first link should be the alla page. You want the "Invasion of Earth" theme. Its 5 solo quests which you have to do (or have helping) and just one group mission you can sit idle and get the TA.

Ylide fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 11, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Thinking about bringing the Kodaji crew back since I hit 1400 ELO in League and it became a frustrating mess of idiocy and anger. Is the guild really still rocking as hard as it appears to be? I'll be starting VoA progression, is anyone else 90ish and looking to do the same?

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Thinking about bringing the Kodaji crew back since I hit 1400 ELO in League and it became a frustrating mess of idiocy and anger. Is the guild really still rocking as hard as it appears to be? I'll be starting VoA progression, is anyone else 90ish and looking to do the same?

Most of us are in the high 70s to mid 80s. A few more weeks and we'll have some more 90s I'd say.

torp0r
Jan 14, 2008
torp0r
come back Kodaji we miss you

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Well, about two weeks after moving I finally have the internet connection that was originally supposed to be hooked up the weekend of my move. I should be back in game some more in the next few days, particularly the weekends.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
It is disappointing that there isn't some way within the FTP model to unlock the same character effectiveness as a subscriber similar to Turbine's FTP model which has been very successful.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Zvim posted:

It is disappointing that there isn't some way within the FTP model to unlock the same character effectiveness as a subscriber similar to Turbine's FTP model which has been very successful.

Other than the occasional fluke like the u-turn on EQMac, SOE is just an incredibly lovely and inept company. I am not very familiar with very many other MMO companies but the impression I've gotten from the various EQ/2 threads here is that we have by far the worst F2P model.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
It's that shittyness that makes 13 years of Everquest so incredibly amazing.

There should be no reason why this horrible game is so addictive. Even under Verant's ownership this game was lovely.

I love it anyway.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Everyone should play EQ Mac. Leveling is quick but not overwhelmingly fast like on live, and there's none of the godawful post-PoP expansions to muddy the game with countless odd currencies and stats or try to keep it competitive with WoW. Oh, and you can play it on the PC now, and there seems to be a surge of new players on the server as word of the PC hack spreads.

The only real problems with it are bugs that will probably never get fixed and a lack of LoY, which means no Dylan Harbor or maps.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

Zvim posted:

Turbine's F2P model is fantastic. I had high hopes that EQ's would be similar but Sony game directors are so inept they could gently caress up a wet dream.

The game remains, as was said, surprisingly addictive.

I wish more folks were around so I could see some of the raid content in the later expanions. I'm starting to get tired of the group content up through UF and HoT.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

meat gnome posted:

Other than the occasional fluke like the u-turn on EQMac, SOE is just an incredibly lovely and inept company. I am not very familiar with very many other MMO companies but the impression I've gotten from the various EQ/2 threads here is that we have by far the worst F2P model.

There are pros and cons I guess. EQ gives you a lot more up front but you hit the wall at a higher level where you have obstacles you can't overcome without subscribing.

I haven't played DDO but with LOTRO you don't get as much up front, you have to purchase the expansions and quest packs (you start off with a bunch of free ones) and there are a fair few aspects of the character classes that are upgrades, or limited functionality until you upgrade. Some upgrades are account wide, some are character based.

You can unlock everything so your character has the exact same functionality as a subscription character. You also get TP (which you use to buy the content/upgrades) for completing deeds (completing quests, exploration and killing mobs). You could theoretically unlock everything without paying if you loved grinding, a lot.

They make the vast majority of their money from cosmetic items and consumables, not a high proportion of the users purchases them but those that do spend a fair bit on those.

I buy all the expansions and have unlocked everything on the characters I enjoy playing and purchase the currency now and then, it is a really nice user pays system, if you want access to everything then you can just sub. I wish others saw FTP as an alternative revenue model rather than an extended trial in order to get more people hooked and forced into a subscription.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Shrouded J5s are hilarious. I don't have any classes that can really powerlevel, but I shrouded my bard down to level 60 and took my warrior through the hole. Split some plat and popped my j5 tank merc. I can pull like half the temple area and the tank barely takes damage, and mows everything down.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

boho posted:

Everyone should play EQ Mac. Leveling is quick but not overwhelmingly fast like on live, and there's none of the godawful post-PoP expansions to muddy the game with countless odd currencies and stats or try to keep it competitive with WoW. Oh, and you can play it on the PC now, and there seems to be a surge of new players on the server as word of the PC hack spreads.

The only real problems with it are bugs that will probably never get fixed and a lack of LoY, which means no Dylan Harbor or maps.

This is tempting as gently caress. Are you playing on it now? Are there people to group with at low levels?

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

darkhand posted:

Shrouded J5s are hilarious. I don't have any classes that can really powerlevel, but I shrouded my bard down to level 60 and took my warrior through the hole. Split some plat and popped my j5 tank merc. I can pull like half the temple area and the tank barely takes damage, and mows everything down.

poo poo, that never even occurred to me. Do they still cost the same amount per 15 mins? Do you get reasonable xp on the shrouded guy or just the warrior?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I think they cost less, since they end up as the shrouded level, I can't remember ever seeing any merc messages payment though. I get an XP message on the shroud, but I think I read that you don't really get any xp at all. You do get leadership XP though.

Shrouding is really loving lame though. I don't think any of the shrouds even have AOEs and the spell casting is janky as gently caress. Not to mention your capabilities are crippled compared to something in defiant gear. You're basically an Apprentice-t1 merc.

I just realised bards have badass damageshields, so I'm going to try the method you showed me at some point.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 12, 2012

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I wish they'd get their heads out of their asses and just merged all the servers into one, or at least all normal rulesets into one, one for pvp and one for progression.

There'd be a ton of people actually willing to come back and play if any server had a remotely decent population again, but no let's keep it where every zone is a ghost town including the top level grouping zones outside of a very specific time of day.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
is eqmac really f2p, or lovely soe f2p

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
As of right now it's "real" free to play. Not sure if that's going to change or not.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

298298 posted:

I wish they'd get their heads out of their asses and just merged all the servers into one, or at least all normal rulesets into one, one for pvp and one for progression.

There'd be a ton of people actually willing to come back and play if any server had a remotely decent population again, but no let's keep it where every zone is a ghost town including the top level grouping zones outside of a very specific time of day.

This is a terrible idea. Some zones are crowded if they have more than 2-3 groups in it. And bu today's standards, one guy who is 3-boxing or a guy who is 15 levels over the content count as groups.

The zones that are ghost towns would stay ghost towns and the zones that are used would become unbearable. The only way this would work would be if they did away with hot zones and gave all zones an equivalent ZEM.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Ylide posted:

This is a terrible idea. Some zones are crowded if they have more than 2-3 groups in it. And bu today's standards, one guy who is 3-boxing or a guy who is 15 levels over the content count as groups.

Agreed, unless they started giving instance options for basically everything. The other night in off hours we had two other groups set up and killing in resplendent temple, and that felt like entirely too much. I didn't even think it was that popular of a zone, we just wanted to get a dude the partisan/hero achievements. Merging servers would be the worst thing ever when basically a three boxer or two can take on most poo poo at this point, and everyone cashed out multiple accounts with the cheap gold subscriptions.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ylide posted:

The zones that are ghost towns would stay ghost towns and the zones that are used would become unbearable. The only way this would work would be if they did away with hot zones and gave all zones an equivalent ZEM.

Then you'd go to other zones. I don't know if you were max level during the hay day but groups weren't a static thing. Just because VOA only has a handful of max level zones doesn't mean anything. You still had people going to old sebilis well into PoP's day. There was enough content for thousands on a server on a weekend.

Two boxing could cause problems to that but there'd also be far less two boxing if there were actual groups. And God forbid if there were actual competition for spawns in a zone again anyway. Oh dear playing an MMO and actually having to interact with people? EQ still has a chance to have the first M in MMO.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

298298 posted:

Then you'd go to other zones. I don't know if you were max level during the hay day but groups weren't a static thing. Just because VOA only has a handful of max level zones doesn't mean anything. You still had people going to old sebilis well into PoP's day. There was enough content for thousands on a server on a weekend.

Two boxing could cause problems to that but there'd also be far less two boxing if there were actual groups. And God forbid if there were actual competition for spawns in a zone again anyway. Oh dear playing an MMO and actually having to interact with people? EQ still has a chance to have the first M in MMO.

Thw game and its player base don't conform to what you want them to be. People will just not play rather than have to go entertain themselves in sub-standard zones and if a large population wants to multi-box I'm sorry that bothers you. People with hardons to group with others still can. Othera prefer to not be dependent on often unskilled or unreliable people to accomplish their goals in-game. There's always raids for that kind of thing.

If they changed the zone xp modifiers and reitemized old zones, I think that would encourage a larger player base to spread out.

It's probably not going to happen though, so this debate is mostly pointless.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Kithyen posted:

As of right now it's "real" free to play. Not sure if that's going to change or not.

got a link?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

My beef with zones is that, it seems to me; zones that are better, are better in more ways than one. There's not really any reason at all to goto some entire continents. The Buried Sea for example is humongous, has poo poo loot, has poo poo farming capabilities, and the XP is god awful, not to mention the mobs are harder than other zones in that level range.

If the XP was bumped up by like 50% it might be worth it goto and there's a lot of big zones on that continent that can support multiple groups of people.

It just seems like risk/reward doesn't match up. Which would be fine, if your goal is to get people to end-game fast. But that model fails because none of the optimal zones can really handle anything more than 2 groups, which to be honest is only like 2 boxes these days.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

meat gnome posted:

This is tempting as gently caress. Are you playing on it now? Are there people to group with at low levels?

I'm dabbling with it now, dual boxing a Druid+Enchanter. It is totally free to play with no bullshit, and it's actually refreshing how fast it is to login and zone, probably because the population is as low as it is. Installing it and setting it up was fairly easy; see this post by me:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472675&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post405313230

Since it's free, there's no reason to not at least dual box.

For all its flaws, there's something amazing about seeing the ancient EQ world still alive. You've got the old Freeport and everything there.

The population seems okay, I would estimate a couple of hundred people on nightly (probably 500+ when it's American nighttime), and there are typically around 100 people in the server-wide general chat channel. People seem pretty nice. I've seen some newbies here and there as I've levelled.

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006

darkhand posted:

My beef with zones is that, it seems to me; zones that are better, are better in more ways than one. There's not really any reason at all to goto some entire continents. The Buried Sea for example is humongous, has poo poo loot, has poo poo farming capabilities, and the XP is god awful, not to mention the mobs are harder than other zones in that level range.

If the XP was bumped up by like 50% it might be worth it goto and there's a lot of big zones on that continent that can support multiple groups of people.

It just seems like risk/reward doesn't match up. Which would be fine, if your goal is to get people to end-game fast. But that model fails because none of the optimal zones can really handle anything more than 2 groups, which to be honest is only like 2 boxes these days.

I've always disliked this in EQ. There are just so many zones that sit wasted, mainly because their EXP does not match the XP of another much easier zone. Just seems so strange to me that they would create all these zones, and then never adjust the exp value to match equivalent risk/reward of other, better zones. /shrug

veril
Aug 28, 2004
Just a quick reminder -- EQ Test Server is also fully free to play, and you get all the expansions/etc.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Pilsner posted:

I'm dabbling with it now, dual boxing a Druid+Enchanter. It is totally free to play with no bullshit, and it's actually refreshing how fast it is to login and zone, probably because the population is as low as it is. Installing it and setting it up was fairly easy; see this post by me:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472675&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post405313230

Since it's free, there's no reason to not at least dual box.

For all its flaws, there's something amazing about seeing the ancient EQ world still alive. You've got the old Freeport and everything there.

The population seems okay, I would estimate a couple of hundred people on nightly (probably 500+ when it's American nighttime), and there are typically around 100 people in the server-wide general chat channel. People seem pretty nice. I've seen some newbies here and there as I've levelled.

I read the FAQ on the EQMac forums and it looks like I would need to set up a dual-boot into Mac's OS, unless I want to actually get a Mac. Is that accurate? Can I get it going some other way? Apologies if I'm being dense and if the answer involves :filez: please ignore this.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007

veril posted:

Just a quick reminder -- EQ Test Server is also fully free to play, and you get all the expansions/etc.

It's also more deserted then the library during Spring Break.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

meat gnome posted:

I read the FAQ on the EQMac forums and it looks like I would need to set up a dual-boot into Mac's OS, unless I want to actually get a Mac. Is that accurate? Can I get it going some other way? Apologies if I'm being dense and if the answer involves :filez: please ignore this.

Read the post I linked, it's how you make it work on a Windows PC, while logged into Windows, just like a regular PC game. You just need a copy of the EQTitanium edition, which is purchasable.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

If you come back I'll come back baby. My job has been beating the poo poo out of me for three months.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
There are still a few die hards left.

Nmar and crew, me, Nylander and others still play. Loon and his amazing crew of death play as well. He marched me and my bot through the J5 quests just this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

veril posted:

I have a 79 necro on Test, but I don't play that much because XP goes so slow.