Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BoyBlunder posted:

drat that's what I expected (but didn't want to) hear.

Why? It takes all of about 20 minutes after an official release comes out for a rooted version where that's the only change. If you don't use the rooted functionality, ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to see what my Google account actually has backed up for Apps and Data? It restores my phone after I log in with a new rom, but then kind of misses some apps and misses some data. There's no way to peek into the cloud and micromanage is there? It's annoying because I'll find out later that this or that app has no configuration set when I need to use it in a pinch.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Is anyone here using a Nook Tablet 16GB that's rooted with Cyanogenmod or any other type of ROM? I looked around on XDA, and it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot going on with these things. I see an unofficial CM9, is it any good? Stable?

My coworker has one and handed it to me to "do some poo poo with this". I've played around with a Nook Color when my wife had one and know it has some official CM support.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Nook Tab happened to be I think the absolute first non-Nexus device to have CM10 boot, or at least one of the very first.

Here you go, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1773362

“Seriously, Don’t Try To Sell This... You’ll Really, REALLY Regret It” Edition

Sounds legit.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Is there any way to see what my Google account actually has backed up for Apps and Data? It restores my phone after I log in with a new rom, but then kind of misses some apps and misses some data. There's no way to peek into the cloud and micromanage is there? It's annoying because I'll find out later that this or that app has no configuration set when I need to use it in a pinch.

I'd like to know as well. My main gripe is it installing apps I haven't used in forever and uninstalled each time I log in after flashing a new phone,

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Just as a random example, my phone was running Awful and Awful Betamax, with passwords stored for both. I load up a Jellybean Alpha and opt-in to the restore, and it brings them both back; password for Awful, but not Betamax. No rhyme or reason to this poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I often wonder if there is work being done to create ROMs that update themselves OTA, like the official ones do. Would there be a way to, say, have a service that keeps an ear out for push notifications, when one arrives, point the thing at Cyanogen's servers, download the update, and then install it? I assume it would have to come with a special recovery or Mr. Dutta or whoever makes the popular custom recovery/bootloader would have to add in a functionality that allows for booting into recovery with instructions to flash so-and-so radio/kernel/ROM with a data backup/restore on either end of the process.

Or are you basically stuck having to wipe/restore everything and do it by hand every time you want to get the latest and greatest?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Entire Universe posted:

Or are you basically stuck having to wipe/restore everything and do it by hand every time you want to get the latest and greatest?

If you're just installing a new minor version of Cyanogenmod (or whatever) you should be able to flash without wiping anything.

Major versions are a different story generally though.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
I feel like I've been missing something for years now.....

I love to install new roms but I don't experiment as much as I'd like because I constantly have to install my apps manually. Even with Titanium it still takes a while since I still have to approve each app.

Is there a way to reinstall all my old apps on a new rom completely automatically?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
That's what we've been discussing, yeah. When you first set up a phone these days (or give it a factory reset in from the settings), Google will ask you to sign in with your account. Then, anything you download in the Play Store, it'll back up the app and data. Next time you sign into a phone, it should dump all that crap back there. But, better on paper than in practice at the moment.

Edit: I bought another T-989 on eBay, this one I got dirt cheap because of a non-working USB port. I have the soldering skill to fix it, but just in case I can't, I was wondering if there's any way to root it without Odin. Like, if there's something along the lines of a working Gingerbreak.apk for the phone, I could then theoretically flash a recovery and work around everything else with battery swaps and SD cards.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 18, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Titanium Backup has an automated restoration function with the paid license.

Application restoration via Play Store is still buggy and half baked even now. I mean for petes sake you still can't delete apps you don't give a darn about and installed just once for chuckles from your library. That is beyond silly. Just get used to doing your own backups and restorations because I sincerely doubt that the people managing the store itself care about much more than making sure their margins are met. If the last year has shown us anything they don't really care to much about the nitty gritty of the user experience, just making the store look 'cool'

Failing that what you could do is when logging into the store for the first time, disable automatic app restoration then go into the store on your web browser and select stuff you want installed. It's not so much the records of the things you've installed previously, it's just there is a terrible disconnect between what you had installed before a rom flash. I suppose that the ability to do app installs or uninstalls remotely is a good user experience idea but it only took what, three years to implement when that should have been an opening feature?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I often wonder if there is work being done to create ROMs that update themselves OTA, like the official ones do. Would there be a way to, say, have a service that keeps an ear out for push notifications, when one arrives, point the thing at Cyanogen's servers, download the update, and then install it? I assume it would have to come with a special recovery or Mr. Dutta or whoever makes the popular custom recovery/bootloader would have to add in a functionality that allows for booting into recovery with instructions to flash so-and-so radio/kernel/ROM with a data backup/restore on either end of the process.

Isn't this basically ROM Manager?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Slopehead posted:

Application restoration via Play Store is still buggy and half baked even now. I mean for petes sake you still can't delete apps you don't give a darn about and installed just once for chuckles from your library.

I've never had an app get auto-installed that wasn't on my device before I wiped it or got a new device. Of course it's going to install an app if you never uninstalled it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ninmeister posted:

Is anyone here using a Nook Tablet 16GB that's rooted with Cyanogenmod or any other type of ROM? I looked around on XDA, and it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot going on with these things. I see an unofficial CM9, is it any good? Stable?

My coworker has one and handed it to me to "do some poo poo with this". I've played around with a Nook Color when my wife had one and know it has some official CM support.

My Nook Tablet has been on the stable (not sure if it's official) CM7 from XDA for a long time now, since maybe March? It's great. I'm not playing with CM9/10 until it's solid, what I have now works fine.

The only issue I've ever run into is for some reason Evernote doesn't work (throws an I/O error mid-synch every time), but I just work around that by using the web version in a browser.

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: I bought another T-989 on eBay, this one I got dirt cheap because of a non-working USB port. I have the soldering skill to fix it, but just in case I can't, I was wondering if there's any way to root it without Odin. Like, if there's something along the lines of a working Gingerbreak.apk for the phone, I could then theoretically flash a recovery and work around everything else with battery swaps and SD cards.

You should have access to it over wifi too, wonder if there's a way to mount it that way?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

This is pretty much what GooManager is designed to do (for those who host their updates on Goo.im)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.s0up.goomanager&hl=en

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone succesfully rooted a Nexus 7 using Wugs toolkit? Mine seems to create double ADB processes for everything, one of which sticks around, and the toolkit hangs hangs until I kill the leftover process. Using this slightly convoluted method it was able to unlock my bootloader but rooting just doesn't work, I end up with no SU or SU binaries. The drivers seem to be installed fine.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Tunga posted:

Has anyone succesfully rooted a Nexus 7 using Wugs toolkit? Mine seems to create double ADB processes for everything, one of which sticks around, and the toolkit hangs hangs until I kill the leftover process. Using this slightly convoluted method it was able to unlock my bootloader but rooting just doesn't work, I end up with no SU or SU binaries. The drivers seem to be installed fine.

I tried and failed. I was able to install the drivers, and unlock, but it was on the rooting part that it failed for me.

I did it manually and it worked fine.

edit: this was with 1.5.2

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Is wifi tether my best bet for tethering a tablet to my rooted Galaxy Nexus? Will Verizon notice or can I make it so they think it is simply my phone?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

I tried and failed. I was able to install the drivers, and unlock, but it was on the rooting part that it failed for me.

I did it manually and it worked fine.

edit: this was with 1.5.2

Cool, can you recommend a manual guide? I'm sure I can find several but if there's one that worked well for you that'd be handy.

Edit: Nevermind, this was ridiculously easy, I worked it out just from with the command line help on adb/fastboot (okay, I may have played with these before too :D ).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 18, 2012

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Henchman 21 posted:

Is wifi tether my best bet for tethering a tablet to my rooted Galaxy Nexus? Will Verizon notice or can I make it so they think it is simply my phone?
s

Either that or FoxFi work just fine. FoxFi has always been a little more stable for me, and if you ever unroot, it still works.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Slopehead posted:

Titanium Backup has an automated restoration function with the paid license.

Is root required to restore a backup that was made on a rooted phone?

I've just gotten my unlocked Nexus and am wondering whether to root (after I update to JB, of course). I've been on a rooted DroidX for almost two years and can't really remember why to root in the first place other than to remove Verizon's bloatware...is it necessary on the Google Play Galaxy Nexus?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Titanium Backup won't do anything at all without root. Besides complain. :v:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've had a HTC Hero, and HTC G2 both with root for the past 3 years or so. Right now, I'm running stock JB on my nexus and not missing much from CM. Power Control will give you a notification power control widget.

The play store restores apps well enough that I don't feel the need for TB at all.. But I don't play games really. That seems to be the biggest need for TB still from what I've seen.

I'm mostly missing the volume rocker to change songs.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

deong posted:

The play store restores apps well enough that I don't feel the need for TB at all.

Hrm, how do I activate the restoration?

edit: I remember why I don't like using the play store to restore apps. If I recall correctly, it restores all the apps I've ever installed, regardless if they were uninstalled 1.5 yr ago and haven't been used since or if they're a daily driver.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 18, 2012

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Vvvevvvv vvvçv3

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Drakes posted:

Vvvevvvv vvvçv3
Why yes, it does all those things.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Tommy Wiseau posted:

edit: I remember why I don't like using the play store to restore apps. If I recall correctly, it restores all the apps I've ever installed, regardless if they were uninstalled 1.5 yr ago and haven't been used since or if they're a daily driver.

Welcome to pegging your data cap for the month in the store during new phone activation. :v:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Welcome to pegging your data cap for the month in the store during new phone activation. :v:

Eh, I've got 5 gigs before they start throttling my speeds, so not too concerned about it.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Tommy Wiseau posted:

I recall this being the case with my Incredible 2 running Gingerbread but since I got my Galaxy Nexus it's only restored the apps that were installed at the time. The stuff I had uninstalled still shows up in the "All" section of "My Apps" but doesn't install itself.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Drakes posted:

Vvvevvvv vvvçv3

I recommend factory data reset, reflash ROM, then clear Dalvik cache

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I recommend reenabling your lock screen.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

oxsnard posted:

I'm on my second android phone (a skyrocket ) and I got really sick of waiting for the official ics so I finally bit the bullet and flashed the nightly cm9 build. My battery life improved by at least 50%. What I'm saying is gently caress touchwiz

I just moved over to CM9 on my Skyrocket because AT&T thought that making my loving contact list some kind of hosted app was a good movie in ICS.

So far I'm loving loving it, it looks so much better than Touchwiz and seems absurdly faster. I actually saw my battery life go way down, but JuiceDefender fixed that quick.

My only issue is that every now and then (seems totally random) my screen will stop accepting touch input. The phone is still working and the hardware buttons (power, volume) still function, but nothing I've found short of pulling the battery will get the screen working again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Inspector_71 posted:

My only issue is that every now and then (seems totally random) my screen will stop accepting touch input. The phone is still working and the hardware buttons (power, volume) still function, but nothing I've found short of pulling the battery will get the screen working again.

Sometimes, the Galaxy Nexus does this on official stock ICS.

Haven't had it happen on JB, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thermopyle posted:

Sometimes, the Galaxy Nexus does this on official stock ICS.

Haven't had it happen on JB, though.

Yeah, it happened twice the day after I flashed to CM9 so I was freaking out for a bit, but it's only happened twice more in a week, so I figure I can live with it. Especially since the thing starts up so fast now.

No more loving AT&T into movie bullshit. :toot:

EDIT: And drat, I didn't realize a JB build was already out. Maybe I'll look into flashing to that this weekend.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 19, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
IF you like the Skyrocket CM9, you should keep an eye on the Skyrocket CM10 development, as it has been progressing at a blindingly fast clip: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1775133

I've been test driving it on my T-989, Project Butter is amazing, and they got everything but the Camera and some Audio Routing worked out in two days. This thing could reach legit daily driver before the weekend is out.

Edit: Inspector, saw you edited while I was posting. Make sure you Nandroid before you flash that thing, because the audio routing glitches can interfere with calls.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 19, 2012

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I have ClockworkMod on my phone right now since it was what they said to use in the tutorial I found for installing CM9. Will that work just as well?

Like I said in my other post, I've had a rooted phone for all of a week now so this is all new and scary.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_71 posted:

I have ClockworkMod on my phone right now since it was what they said to use in the tutorial I found for installing CM9. Will that work just as well?

Like I said in my other post, I've had a rooted phone for all of a week now so this is all new and scary.

Nandroid is the backup option in ClockworkMod, so yes, you're good.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Just installed CM10 on my friend's Vibrant. Not only does everything seem to be working (even camera and such), I *swear* it is running faster than my SGS2. Maybe it has something to do with only having a quarter of the pixels to push?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Just installed CM10 on my friend's Vibrant. Not only does everything seem to be working (even camera and such), I *swear* it is running faster than my SGS2. Maybe it has something to do with only having a quarter of the pixels to push?
Is your SGS2 running Jelly Bean? Jelly Bean is much, much, much faster than Ice Cream Sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah, Skyrocket = SGS2, he mentioned that like 4 posts up :cheeky:

Hope Samsung/T-Mobile get around to porting Jelly Bean over to the SGS3 soon. I can swap over to CM10 I suppose, but I'm fairly happy with stock I'd just love to have a fully working Google Now/Voice Search. Couldn't resist rooting though, did it the way that doesn't trip the root counter anyways so easy to go back to completely stock if need be. Just missed AdFree Android and Samba Filesharing way too much. That and not being able to restore all my saved game data with Titanium Backup without root =-(