Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Thanks. I was just about to kick in to my lovely version of production mode when I got "called back" to work. More 80 hour weeks. Yay. Guess it's better than the other common alternative these days.

Anyway, yeah. You should post photographs (everyone should post photographs) to break up my spam a bit. I almost feel bad for someone who gets a lathe and puts a little time in so it gets it's claws in them. They have no idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I can post pictures of something...I guess this technically counts as "woodworking," although I don't generally consider 2x4 "cabinetry" to really count. Still, I finished this workbench thing, so now I can start unpacking my garage after the move and get crackin' on the real workbench upstairs.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

That's pretty sweet. Up here where I'm working now I don't really have any storage or work surfaces at all. I have a small vanity type thing (complete with sink and perhaps 4 square foot of flat counter) that someone was throwing out that I'm using to stick all my turning tools. The sinks actually work pretty good for that, the handles all stick out at an angle and are easy to tell which are which and grab. the no work surface is a giant pain in the rear end. So I might do something similar if I get another lull in work.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

I can post pictures of something...I guess this technically counts as "woodworking," although I don't generally consider 2x4 "cabinetry" to really count. Still, I finished this workbench thing, so now I can start unpacking my garage after the move and get crackin' on the real workbench upstairs.

Sweet!
Tell me your secrets - where did you get the pegboard screwdriver holders? And, pray tell, the drawer slides?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Can anyone recommend a decent set of bench chisels? I'm not ready to fork out serious cash for quality ones before I know which ones I will use the most. I figure a cheap set is a good way to learn and to learn how to sharpen.

And speaking of sharpening, anyone ever use a Worksharp? Someone near me is selling one for a good price, just wondering if it's worth it... supposedly it works quickly and if I'm getting cheaper chisels, I may go insane trying to keep them sharp using either a stone or the glass/sandpaper/scarysharp method

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Guitarchitect posted:

Sweet!
Tell me your secrets - where did you get the pegboard screwdriver holders? And, pray tell, the drawer slides?

I ended up with three boxes of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKVL6C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

and one box of assorted pieces I got from Lowe's a while back. The one from Lowe's had the single-rack multi-loop screwdriver holders, as well as some nice little jars where the lid part has the pegs and the jar screws up underneath, and some open-top bins. That was actually a pretty good set, and I just bought the three boxes of parts from Amazon to have some other random bits that I needed, mostly short straight hooks and small J hooks. I only used about one box-worth of parts, but I need the others for the next bench in the garage.

The slides I think I got at Home Depot, nothing special there. I mean, they're nice, and I don't recall what I paid for them, but they're available at any big box store.

Oh, and I just ordered this bad boy to mount along the corner of the pegboard and the bench surface:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B81J/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 10, 2012

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

I ended up with three boxes of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKVL6C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Oh, and I just ordered this bad boy to mount along the corner of the pegboard and the bench surface:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B81J/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

drat, the pegboard stuff isn't available in canada and won't ship here from american amazon... too bad too, one of the sellers has it for $5!

One of those powerbards would be sweet for me if my garage had more than a 15a circuit... as it is I run my shopvac of an extension cord and can run one tool at a time!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That is exactly my last garage. One outlet, by the inside door. 15A. I had poo poo daisy chained all over the place there. By the time I left, the breaker would trip if you so much as looked at it funny, I'd worn the thing so much.

This time, I own the house, and while the garage electrical system is more or less the same (a few outlets this time, but still just a 15A circuit with a few light bulbs) I'm going to put in some dedicated circuits for the big items like the table saw, and then add a 15A circuit with outlets around the perimeter so that the tools will be on a separate circuit from the lights. And I'll be adding lights, too. For all this, I'll probably just drop in a sub panel, because I only have three slots left in the main panel and I don't want to actually fill it up, or have to go downstairs to flip a breaker on/off.

All in due time.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

That is exactly my last garage. One outlet, by the inside door. 15A. I had poo poo daisy chained all over the place there. By the time I left, the breaker would trip if you so much as looked at it funny, I'd worn the thing so much.

This time, I own the house, and while the garage electrical system is more or less the same (a few outlets this time, but still just a 15A circuit with a few light bulbs) I'm going to put in some dedicated circuits for the big items like the table saw, and then add a 15A circuit with outlets around the perimeter so that the tools will be on a separate circuit from the lights. And I'll be adding lights, too. For all this, I'll probably just drop in a sub panel, because I only have three slots left in the main panel and I don't want to actually fill it up, or have to go downstairs to flip a breaker on/off.

All in due time.

Totally jealous. I'm renting my space and it'd be a hard sell to get the landlord to put in a sub-panel, which is really a shame! It would be awesome. As it is right now, it's one of those snaky flexible conduits that runs from the house along a trellis and into the garage. And it's rusty.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As for the pegboard hooks and such in Canada, just go to whatever the Canuck version of Home Depot or Lowe's is, they'll have all that stuff. Just make sure you get the right hardware for the pegboard you have access to. In the US, there's 1/4" and 1/8", and while 1/8" hardware will ostensibly fit 1/4" board, it's loose and crappy and not worth doing. I had no problem finding 1/8" hooks, but I was able to find ONE sheet of 1/8" board in all of Erie, PA. Bonkers.

Oh, and that number refers to the size of the hole, not the thickness of the board, just in case. ;)

I've done the rental thing myself for a long time. I got really, really good at building into a place without actually putting holes in the walls or anything. Every change I made had to be atomic and more or less free-standing. The pinnacle of that experience was the House That Has No Closets. :wtc:

Owning is so nice, it's such a different world. Yes, I get the extra headache of owning, and I have to consider whether I'm improving or damaging when I do something, but once I've made that decision, nothing is there to stop me, and it's my decision to make.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Guitarchitect posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent set of bench chisels? I'm not ready to fork out serious cash for quality ones before I know which ones I will use the most. I figure a cheap set is a good way to learn and to learn how to sharpen.

And speaking of sharpening, anyone ever use a Worksharp? Someone near me is selling one for a good price, just wondering if it's worth it... supposedly it works quickly and if I'm getting cheaper chisels, I may go insane trying to keep them sharp using either a stone or the glass/sandpaper/scarysharp method

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/narexboxed6-piecebenchchiselset.aspx

Narex are the poo poo. Couple years ago they kicked rear end across FWW bench tests and they're a fraction the price of the competition. They've started expanding what they offer too.

edit- whoa they make old school grey cast iron spring bench dogs too

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 10, 2012

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Plus one on the Narex chisels. The handles on the set that Anthem posted look a lot nicer than the ones I got from Lee Valley, but they have at set of seven for only $10 more.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Bad Munki posted:

I think the best tool there is, is a good workbench.

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012
I haven't done much woodworking, but I figured it would be a fun summer project to make my own skateboard shapes. Here's the result of my first go at making a cruiser.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
Was that from a blank, or did you cut/glue/bend it up? This is on my list of things to do for the year, I'd love to hear more about it!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
So i'm having some trouble here. I recently had my kitchen remodeled and I got left with a few gouges in some of the wood paneling that makes up my cabinets. I've been trying to patch them up a bit but I don't seem to be having much luck. The original gouges have been accepting stain, but I thought it would be a good idea to sand around them a bit to soften the gouge. The gouge itself seems to have no problem accepting stain, but the sanded area around it just doesnt seem to want to take any stain. I've tried sanding lightly between staining with 120 and 220 grit but it seems to just take the stain off and leave me where I started. Any suggestions?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can anyone tell me about treated lumber? I want to build some raised planters in my back yard, but I don't have access to cedar here, it's just not available. I mean, I could get it, but I'd be paying out the nose for very little of the stuff.

I know that historically, treated lumber is some nasty stuff, but I swear I read somewhere (maybe here?) that modern treated lumber, at least at the consumer level, is treated with relatively safe chemicals and it wouldn't actually be leaching anything dangerous into the soil my plants are growing in, or at least not at dangerous levels.

Anyone?

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012

iwannabebobdylan posted:

Was that from a blank, or did you cut/glue/bend it up? This is on my list of things to do for the year, I'd love to hear more about it!

I ordered an already pressed, uncut blank from http://www.skatepaige.com/. I freehanded the shape in Illustrator and printed it out, but it's basically a tunnel pipeline with concave. After I make a few more I'm going to look into building a diy skate press and making my own maple ply.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Bad Munki posted:

Can anyone tell me about treated lumber? I want to build some raised planters in my back yard, but I don't have access to cedar here, it's just not available. I mean, I could get it, but I'd be paying out the nose for very little of the stuff.

I know that historically, treated lumber is some nasty stuff, but I swear I read somewhere (maybe here?) that modern treated lumber, at least at the consumer level, is treated with relatively safe chemicals and it wouldn't actually be leaching anything dangerous into the soil my plants are growing in, or at least not at dangerous levels.

Anyone?

I've heard the same things about treated lumber; that it will leach chemicals, arsenic I believe, into the soil. I've also heard that it is ok if you dont plant within 12 inches, but I have no idea if that is true.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

From what reading I've been doing, the arsenic thing is outdated at this point, that's in CCA treated wood, whereas these days, ACQ-treated wood is all we can get maybe? It has more copper, but no added arsenic or anything. I came across this article which spends three pages talking about how CCA is bad, but most plants don't collect it in the edible parts, and then spends a paragraph at the end talking about ACQ...but I don't see a date on the article and the only date referenced in the article itself is way back in 1997.

I'm just sorta looking for something decidedly recent and more focused on what's available right now, I guess.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I built some planters for my Mom out of treated lumber a few years ago. Rather than fill them with dirt directly, I went to one of the home centers and bought some plastic window boxes. I designed the planters around holding three of those. Here's a photo:

This has the advantage of not requiring a bunch of dirt, so they're not completely immobile. They're great for herbs, because you can just bring in the planters in the winter if you want to keep your garden going. Plus, if you get one that tends to creep, it's contained to its own planter and won't take over the garden.

I finished them about 9 months later with the same epoxy resin deck finish I use on their deck. They're working great.

They just had their kitchen counters replaced and she kept the old cast iron sink. I think I'm going to build her another one using that as the planter. It won't be as portable or easy to clean, but it seems like a neat way to save the old sink.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So I'm in the process of making a desk and the top is coming along great.
Its birch finished with tung oil. The dimensions are 4ft x 2ft 5in

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
I love a good piece of 2tone birch. I've got a birch drum that I finished in tung oil 5 years ago and it still looks good. How many coats are you going to do?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

iwannabebobdylan posted:

I love a good piece of 2tone birch. I've got a birch drum that I finished in tung oil 5 years ago and it still looks good. How many coats are you going to do?
I haven't decided yet but it'll definitely be affected by my current lack of a good desk.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

From what reading I've been doing, the arsenic thing is outdated at this point, that's in CCA treated wood, whereas these days, ACQ-treated wood is all we can get maybe? It has more copper, but no added arsenic or anything. I came across this article which spends three pages talking about how CCA is bad, but most plants don't collect it in the edible parts, and then spends a paragraph at the end talking about ACQ...but I don't see a date on the article and the only date referenced in the article itself is way back in 1997.

I'm just sorta looking for something decidedly recent and more focused on what's available right now, I guess.

My understanding is that the law changed in 2003 to mandate ACQ in products sold to non-contractors. Contractors may still be able to get CCA-treated lumber.

I have been told by a "Master Gardener" that WSU did a study on ACQ-treated lumber and found that the only risk was root vegetables planted within 2 inches of the wood. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a citation or find anything to back it up on the web.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

bEatmstrJ posted:

So i'm having some trouble here. I recently had my kitchen remodeled and I got left with a few gouges in some of the wood paneling that makes up my cabinets. I've been trying to patch them up a bit but I don't seem to be having much luck. The original gouges have been accepting stain, but I thought it would be a good idea to sand around them a bit to soften the gouge. The gouge itself seems to have no problem accepting stain, but the sanded area around it just doesnt seem to want to take any stain. I've tried sanding lightly between staining with 120 and 220 grit but it seems to just take the stain off and leave me where I started. Any suggestions?

I'm not a finisher, but I know that once you start sanding above 180, wood doesn't like to accept stain very well.

But in the end I have no idea.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Skinny Bins posted:

I'm not a finisher, but I know that once you start sanding above 180, wood doesn't like to accept stain very well.

But in the end I have no idea.

This is true for a lot of woods, especially dense hardwoods like ash. Walnut not so much, but even having some put through a really good planer can give then a sort of "glassed" coating that doesn't take a stain very well.

I've finally managed to finish my 70's esq table. It's just a little thing I am going to put in my stereo room in front of a Chez Lounge for magazines and a laptop. It's red oak and the top part contains no glue, it's all been dovetailed and hammered together. I'm loving my 12" porter Cable dovetail joiner! That thing does a perfect dovetail pretty much every single time. I always put a scrap through to make sure it's set up properly, but have yet to reset it to do a proper job (aside from the first day). The legs are each fastened with three 1/4" dowels.

Pics!

Gave it a few coats of BLO and then sealed it with some Poly.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Spalted Elm 11"x3"ish

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Soprano boat paddle uke, southern yellow pine top and back, poplar sides and neck, walnut fingerboard, copper wire frets and walnut inlay in the headstock.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Found this old Craftsman lathe on Craigslist. The guy says that he can't find a model number on it, but he's only asking $50 OBO. Anybody want to hazard a guess as to the details of the lathe, or if it's worth $40 or $50 (assuming it runs)? I wouldn't mind having a restoration project.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

The Human Cow posted:

Found this old Craftsman lathe on Craigslist. The guy says that he can't find a model number on it, but he's only asking $50 OBO. Anybody want to hazard a guess as to the details of the lathe, or if it's worth $40 or $50 (assuming it runs)? I wouldn't mind having a restoration project.

Browsing through vintagemachinery.org it looks like a late '30s or early '40s model, similar to these:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=13556
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=4289

I didn't see any with those spacers so someone may have added them later to get more clearance.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I hate to be that guy again, but I messaged a guy about this craiglist ad for a lathe and he agreed to $80.

http://hamilton.en.craigslist.ca/bar/3111237024.html

Is this a good deal? I'm looking to do mainly bowl turning. I wish I knew more about this kind of thing or where to research it better. :(

Help is much appreciated.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Bugs: I'd pass.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tls/3147303962.html
Go here and buy the guys "sorby" lathe chisels as long as they aren't rusty for 10$/piece, and offer like.. 250-300 for the hausmann, more if there are chucks and stuff with it, which there probably will be

I just noticed this is in toronto.. are you in hamilton? Oops. Ever hear of the band Haymaker from Hamilton? Might be worth trekking to toronto if you have the time, lots of stuff for sale.

edit JESUS CHRIST BUY THIS

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tls/3097531089.html

Tips:

For bowl turning you want to maximize your swing, which is the distance between the center of the spindle on the headstock to the bed ways. That will be one half the final diameter of any bowl you can turn between centers, or over the bed.

That lathe is a gap bed lathe, which is a pain in the rear end sort of thing. It tries to rectify the problem of a small swing by making an artificially larger swing for a few inches, which is okay if you want to turn a bowl that would fit exactly into that space, but not any larger. Plus it doesn't actually give you that much more room.

What is your budget? 300$ for a starter lathe is a reasonable budget that can get you much more than what you're looking at and would probably include a lot of necessary chucks and things you'll want.

I'd try to go for 10" swing or more to start with, although depending on how much you turn you might eventually trade up for bowls, but that can be a long way away. There are a lot of novice as well as good turners so feel free to ask questions.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 20, 2012

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Man thanks so much for all that info. That is exactly what I needed!

I am in Burlington, which is between Hamilton and Toronto. $300 is about my budget as well. So thats perfect. I'll message the guy about the Hausman and see if he'll go lower.

Thanks a ton!

(You have an email I could shoot questions at if this falls through? I dont have PMs and I hate the idea of clogging this thread with craigslist ads. :()

Edit: I contacted the guy offering $300 for the Hausman lathe. He said he stands firm at $400 as "It is in absolutely beautiful condition and has precise digital variable speed control.". If there are chucks with it is this still a good deal?

Here is a pic he sent me:

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 20, 2012

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

you should consider joining the Canadian Woodworking Forums. They're a bunch of old codgers but they know their stuff when it comes to older tools, and a few have even ruckered things for me (like I found a deal on a sander in Barrie and a dude from london happens to be going there for a weekend so he's picking it up for me and dropping it off in downtown TO since i don't have a car). They're really keen on old stuff and can often give you an idea of what your used deal will cost in order to bring it back up to working condition.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Edit- poo poo nevermind. That Haussmann gets bad reviews on Lumberjocks, and to boot the price people list buying in new or on sale is 250$

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2719

That's a "do not buy." Sorry for recommending it, wasn't familiar with Haussmanns. My email is mattus@gmail.com

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 21, 2012

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Guitarchitect posted:

you should consider joining the Canadian Woodworking Forums. They're a bunch of old codgers but they know their stuff when it comes to older tools, and a few have even ruckered things for me (like I found a deal on a sander in Barrie and a dude from london happens to be going there for a weekend so he's picking it up for me and dropping it off in downtown TO since i don't have a car). They're really keen on old stuff and can often give you an idea of what your used deal will cost in order to bring it back up to working condition.

Thanks, I will check them out! I didn't know this site existed.

Not an Anthem posted:

Edit- poo poo nevermind. That Haussmann gets bad reviews on Lumberjocks, and to boot the price people list buying in new or on sale is 250$

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2719

That's a "do not buy." Sorry for recommending it, wasn't familiar with Haussmanns. My email is mattus@gmail.com

Thanks. I'll bail on it then. Appreciate the advice.

I'll shoot you an email if I see another decent deal and I have any questions.

Starker44
May 14, 2012

Just got back from the flea market and picked up a vintage keen kutter plane for $20.
The blade will need to be sharpened, it's missing the knob in the front and was filled in with some wood or maybe this is just how it is. Enjoy!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I found this photo searching for shelving ideas and really liked how this guy did the Mahogany edging. Can anyone help me understand how he accomplished this with plywood? I really like the look of the contrasting edging a lot.

http://seantellis.com/c-i-g-shelf/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starker44
May 14, 2012

You can use veneer on plywood to make it look like what ever wood you want. As for the design it's a 'floating' design. Here is a guideon how to build floating shelves. With the link you posted, his blueprints are on picture #5.