Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Silentman0 posted:

Where did you get that Woundwort?

found it on ebay. only cost like 6 dollars I think? they pop on Ebay every so often. it's a pretty nice SD figure too, since it's got a few joints for posing. gotta line it off yourself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I officially hate whoever made this:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

The original Wing design came out MG, we can always hope.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Lol nice legs. that might as well be a katoki redesign

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Exia's weak ankles.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my Exia. In fact I'd say it's the sturdiest model I've got. Maybe they fixed those problems on the Ignition Mode release?

The Banshee, on the other hand, is annoyingly flimsy. I had to redo the shoulder joints because it couldn't hold up the gun on its right arm, and the legs fall off at the slightest provocation.

00 Raiser would be nice, but I'm honestly torn between it and the 00 Seven Sword.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 11, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

00 Raiser would be nice, but I'm honestly torn between it and the 00 Seven Sword.

Seven Sword Raiser, why choose?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Midjack posted:

Seven Sword Raiser, why choose?

Because then I'd have a spare 00. :v:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Bloody Pom posted:

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my Exia. In fact I'd say it's the sturdiest model I've got. Maybe they fixed those problems on the Ignition Mode release?

Ignition Mode was the first shipment of the Exia MG.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Popehoist posted:

Lol nice legs. that might as well be a katoki redesign

That's honestly my whole problem with the Katoki version of Wing and Wing Zero. It's like Katoki completely scrapped the tv designs for Wing and Wing Zero and did his own thing, whereas with the other four the redesigns still had a lot of characteristics of their tv look.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

That's honestly my whole problem with the Katoki version of Wing and Wing Zero. It's like Katoki completely scrapped the tv designs for Wing and Wing Zero and did his own thing, whereas with the other four the redesigns still had a lot of characteristics of their tv look.

Wing Zero is still far more over the top than Wing. Deathscythe H is pretty radical too, slightly moreso than the original Wing.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Ignition Mode was the first shipment of the Exia MG.

Not according to HobbyLink. The initial Exia MG was released in July '09. Ignition Mode came out in July '10.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So a friend clued me in on a relatively inexpensive place to buy kits in SF Chinatown (seriously, the only hobby shop I know of in Japantown is hilariously expensive) and I dropped by today. Selection was fair but not amazing (couldn't find Nu HWS) but I went home with a HG Overflag and Qan[T].

I started putting together the Overflag but I can't get those blasted head fin things to stay on :negative:

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

TaurusOxford posted:

I hate the fact that it comes with asymmetrical clown feet.
Not everyone likes doing that ridiculous yoga stretch pose, Bandai. :mad:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Morgenthau posted:

I hate the fact that it comes with asymmetrical clown feet.
Not everyone likes doing that ridiculous yoga stretch pose, Bandai. :mad:

It's a good thing it's not real then!

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

TaurusOxford posted:

Which is good because the original wing zero is hideously poo poo

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Popehoist posted:

Which is good because the original wing zero is hideously poo poo

Looks pretty badass in that above picture.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
MG Aegis prototype:

Diospace
Apr 27, 2012
still waiting for Berserk Fury to release, already saw the prototype looks awesome

Edit: By the way, Anyone know what's this years 1/60 PG gonna be?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Diospace posted:

still waiting for Berserk Fury to release, already saw the prototype looks awesome

Edit: By the way, Anyone know what's this years 1/60 PG gonna be?

I'm guessing either AGE or Freedom.

Diospace
Apr 27, 2012

Midjack posted:

I'm guessing either AGE or Freedom.

I'm hoping for Unicorn even know is not gonna happen.:(

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I wouldn't mind the freedom if only to get one good looking suit out of the strike freedom frame.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm just waiting for a RG Gouf to come out so I can do Ramba proud.

Also a RG Zaku 1 but that will either take forever or just never happen.

Diospace
Apr 27, 2012
RG Sazabi would be awesome(yeah i'm dreaming),I like Gouf too,But i'm waiting for RG DOM

Edit: MG Aegis looks good,was on to my list.

Diospace fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 16, 2012

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has any built any of the muv-luv kits by kotobukiya?

How do they compare in detail and size to a MG gundam?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Diospace posted:

RG Sazabi would be awesome(yeah i'm dreaming),I like Gouf too,But i'm waiting for RG DOM

Edit: MG Aegis looks good,was on to my list.

I'm sure Nu and Sazabi will show up eventually if they stick with RG, but they have to get all this SEED (and Destiny when its anniversary rolls around) nostalgia wankery out of the way first.

Diospace
Apr 27, 2012

MG Buster Looks pretty nice, I really like the guns.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I dont care what anyone says, I like the original SEED five :colbert:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
My D-Arts Vile from the Megaman X line just arrived from Amazon, they got them in stock earlier this week :dance:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dre2Dee2 posted:

My D-Arts Vile from the Megaman X line just arrived from Amazon, they got them in stock earlier this week :dance:

You just reminded me that I need to buy a Vile and V2 Zero.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Help a fellow goon out here.

I love shmups and I've got my eye on this kit:

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYKP-189

However the only other kit I've built before is a Kotobukiya White Glint. It still looks good even without touchup painting.

What I'm asking here is, is if anyone knows this kit will be similar that it still looks good with cutting/glue only.

Also, if anyone knows of any good kits from other shmups, I'd be interested in knowing.

Edit: If anyone knows of a cheaper place for this kit: http://www.amazon.com/Scale-Hitekkai-Ikaruga-White-Construction/dp/B004O6M8EC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_1 as well, I'd love to know. I tried all the usual spots, but they don't have it listed or it's out of stock.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 19, 2012

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Help a fellow goon out here.

I love shmups and I've got my eye on this kit:

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYKP-189

However the only other kit I've built before is a Kotobukiya White Glint. It still looks good even without touchup painting.

What I'm asking here is, is if anyone knows this kit will be similar that it still looks good with cutting/glue only.

Dalong has a review of their first Ikaruga kit, which shows a simple unpainted (and un-decaled) snap-build.

And a promo shot of that kit, for comparison:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There are other shmup kits too, Atelier Sai did one of Vic Viper and there used to be an R-9 kit on HLJ or someplace else but it was a garage kit with no instructions and it probably required painting too.

I remember seeing tons of garage kits of the R-Type Final craft on one website and wishing those got made into actual kits. There was also a kit of the Silpheed ship and the Strega from Philosoma, both of which were also probably garage kits.

Diospace
Apr 27, 2012

RG 1/144 Zeta Gundam

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Finished my first gunpla today (oh god the GN Archer is just adorable). There's a couple of places that have marks where I clipped them off the trays (most obvious on the missile pods), I've tried using the files I have for warhammer models but I think they're a bit rough to completely remove the mark so I need to get some sandpaper or something with a finer surface to finish it off, I don't know how sandpaper's roughness is measured so if anyone has any tips on what stuff to use it would be appreciated.

Now I just need to build my HG Ahead Smultron and I'll be confident enough in my gunpla skills to finally start work on the MG V Dash I've had lying around for a year.

edit: jesus, getting stickers that fold around corners like on the cockpit door are a nightmare to keep from peeling off.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 23, 2012

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Sandpaper's measured by grit (higher the number, the smoother it is), and I've seen Home Depot sell grit from 80 up to 2-300 grit sandpaper. However, check if you have a store like Harbor Freight Tools, I was able to buy 5 or 10 packs of sandpaper for close to a dollar, and they have grit that goes up to 2000. I didn't really notice a huge difference past 800 grit, anything higher will probably wear out quickly.

If you don't have a Harbor Freight, you might want to check out Amazon and just bite the bullet on a bulk pack. I forgot where I read it, but pick up popsicle sticks as well, you can glue sandpaper to the popsicle sticks to make for handy filing tools instead of paying out the rear end for pre-made ones.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
You know, after snapping together my RG Titans Mk. II, I have to say I'm actually pretty excited about the prospect of a RG Zeta Gundam. The construction on the Mk. II was phenomenal, and every bit, every piece of armor moves as you expect it to over its movable frame. Of course, I had some minor nitpicks with the Mk. II, since it's so small but with so many pieces molded in such dark plastic, there are nub marks all over it, but I don't think I want to paint it for the same reason (so many tiny parts). Oh, and I hated that I had to cut the cloth hosing and wire myself. Still, minor nitpicks on a really well engineered kit.

I can't wait to see what the Zeta looks like, and then of course see how its built.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

GTJustin posted:

Sandpaper's measured by grit (higher the number, the smoother it is), and I've seen Home Depot sell grit from 80 up to 2-300 grit sandpaper. However, check if you have a store like Harbor Freight Tools, I was able to buy 5 or 10 packs of sandpaper for close to a dollar, and they have grit that goes up to 2000. I didn't really notice a huge difference past 800 grit, anything higher will probably wear out quickly.

Automotive stores like Shucks or O'Reillys also carry the high grit sand paper for sanding paint. I wouln't recommend anything over 1000 grit for trying to sand plastic.

I've pretty much finished my Strike Freedom full burst gundam. Just have some weapons, stand and stickers to do. This kit is really solid compared to the RX-0 Unicorn kit I built before. It doesn't have quite as much range of motion but it's far easier to pose because it doesn't flop around like a rag doll.

Soarer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 23, 2012

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I can't say that I'm looking forward to the RG Zeta. I love the design, but transformable suits rarely seem that stable to me and are annoying to build. I actually prefer partformers for my model kits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The "all-in-one" nature of the AMS Joint system may help make this Zeta a bit tighter than usual, but considering they just now got the simpler RGs to the point where they're not constantly shedding parts this seems like a less than ideal time for it.

e: here's a similar thing they tried six years ago. Yes, this will be interesting.

e2: ZG, the more you think about it, is just SO loving impractical. Still love it though.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ActionZero posted:

Now I just need to build my HG Ahead Smultron and I'll be confident enough in my gunpla skills to finally start work on the MG V Dash I've had lying around for a year.

Oh god now I have to build four victory core fighters.

And get some action bases.

• Locked thread