Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
Both Pet Sematary and Children of the Corn are up on instant. Cheesy eighties Stephen King adaptations, what's not to love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I watched Enter the Void the other day and man. If you want to sit down and go "what the gently caress" for like two and a half hours, this would probably be a good choice. I'm sure it won't be for everyone as it contains a lot of pretty graphic scenes, and it kind of spoils itself and spends way too long on some parts, but it was really entertaining. It kind of looks like one of those movies to trip out and take some drugs and watch, but I don't really think that would be a good idea.

Yeah Funyuns
Jul 22, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Of what I've watched the past week:

Mary and Max
I avoided this for the longest time based on its description alone, but it was not at all what I expected. Great clay animation, and I'll watch anything with Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The Thirteenth Floor
I don't know why this movie gets such a bad rap. Sure the ending is both predictable and mind numbingly stupid, but it's a very interesting world. Also Craig motherfucking Bierko.

Phantoms
You know you want to watch a young Affleck play a small town sheriff battling ancient evil. Liev Schreiber injects the film with some class and credibility.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lowclock posted:

I watched Enter the Void the other day and man. If you want to sit down and go "what the gently caress" for like two and a half hours, this would probably be a good choice. I'm sure it won't be for everyone as it contains a lot of pretty graphic scenes, and it kind of spoils itself and spends way too long on some parts, but it was really entertaining. It kind of looks like one of those movies to trip out and take some drugs and watch, but I don't really think that would be a good idea.

That movie is responsible for probably the best joke thread ever on the IMDB forums: http://puu.sh/YaA (linked because movie spoilers are involved)

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah Funyuns posted:

Of what I've watched the past week:

Mary and Max
I avoided this for the longest time based on its description alone, but it was not at all what I expected. Great clay animation, and I'll watch anything with Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Holy poo poo Mary and Max is a great movie. I picked it up at Best Buy on impulse, never heard poo poo about the movie before I saw it at the store and it sounded interesting so I took it home and fell in love with it.

Just got done watching Self-Medicated. It's a drama about a kid who lost his dad 2 years ago and has your standard youth problems. Drugs, drinking, violence. So his mom hires a rehab type of company that kidnaps him and tries to treat him.

It's got it's tear jerker moments, feels a bit shallow at other times but it's worth a watch.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Breaking Bad season 4 is finally up, for the people like me that don't use cable anymore.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Funholy posted:

Breaking Bad season 4 is finally up, for the people like me that don't use cable anymore.
I've been waiting for this day.

Yeah Funyuns
Jul 22, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Funholy posted:

Sweet, and only a few hours until the new episode airs. But when the gently caress is Netflix adding the fourth season of Sons of Anarchy?

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Just finished watching .com for murder . It easily falls into being so-bad-it's-good. For good movies, I would highly recommend Pontypool , which I had no expectations for, but which ended up sucking me in. It's a cool idea, although god help us if the zombie-obsessed latch on to it. The results would be more annoying than endless discussions of zombie apocalypse strongholds, in my opinion.

The Killing Jelq has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Jul 16, 2012

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Last night I watched Alice, a 2 part miniseries from 2009. It was a wonderful Alice in Wonderland story. Beautiful art direction. And I believe a justified and well written reimagining.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

You people really need to watch Nazis at the Center of the Earth. Don't read any reviews, those people can eat the hugest bag full of nazi zombie dicks. Just sit down and try to take it all in. Your mind will run the gambit of oh doctors banging lol to is that robo-hitler in a spaceship?

It is.

It is robo-hitler in a spaceship.

Gaze upon glory my friends.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Merou posted:

It is robo-hitler in a spaceship.

Just went to the top of my queu and it better be every bit as terrible as your post suggests.

I feel sorry for Dominique Swain though. Sure, Lolita was the height of her career but does she really deserve Nazis at the Center of the Earth?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Finders fee was a decent movie. It has Ryan Reynolds, James Earl Jones and a couple of other people I recognize but don't know their names. A guy finds a wallet on the street with a lottery ticket and it goes from there. I really enjoyed it and James Earl Jones is pretty awesome in it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Yeah Funyuns posted:

The Thirteenth Floor
I don't know why this movie gets such a bad rap. Sure the ending is both predictable and mind numbingly stupid, but it's a very interesting world. Also Craig motherfucking Bierko.

The Thirteenth Floor is light Sci-Fi pulp and is very enjoyable to watch. I put it up there with Dark City at the top of my list of ridiculous science fiction pseudo-noir movies.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

wormil posted:

Just went to the top of my queu and it better be every bit as terrible as your post suggests.

I feel sorry for Dominique Swain though. Sure, Lolita was the height of her career but does she really deserve Nazis at the Center of the Earth?

Oh hell, it's an Asylum movie.

This is awesomely cheesy so far. Badass Mengele!

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
The local Redbox has a ton of Asylum and Charles Band (of Full Moon fame) movies in it at all times. Truly awesome if you feel the need to watch the few that aren't on Netflix.

Nazis at the Center of the Earth is pretty good, in a SciFi Channel Original kind of way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

oneof27 posted:

Last night I watched Alice, a 2 part miniseries from 2009. It was a wonderful Alice in Wonderland story. Beautiful art direction. And I believe a justified and well written reimagining.

The Czech stop-motion/live action one is also on Netflix, called Alice, and it is exceptional.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jase1 posted:

Finders fee was a decent movie. It has Ryan Reynolds, James Earl Jones and a couple of other people I recognize but don't know their names. A guy finds a wallet on the street with a lottery ticket and it goes from there. I really enjoyed it and James Earl Jones is pretty awesome in it.

It's a shame he has to act alongside Matthew Lillard in that film--Lillard isn't a fantastic actor to begin with, but he is (by a wide margin, in my opinion) at his worst in Finder's Fee. I found myself groaning and rolling my eyes nearly every time he spoke.

James Earl Jones loving owns though and he's great, as usual.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Any more recommendations for really lovely but entertaining horror/sci-fi? We'll have to watch Nazis at the Center of the Earth for sure but we've been craving more.

We finished our lovely shark week with Megashark vs. Gigantic rear end in a top hat Crocodile and it may be time to branch away from aquatic predators.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

me your dad posted:

Any more recommendations for really lovely but entertaining horror/sci-fi? We'll have to watch Nazis at the Center of the Earth for sure but we've been craving more.

We finished our lovely shark week with Megashark vs. Gigantic rear end in a top hat Crocodile and it may be time to branch away from aquatic predators.

Not horror but Starcrash is pretty hilarious.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Check out, The making of South Park:6 days to Air. Entertaining documentary on how an episode is created in as little as 6 days.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

me your dad posted:

Starslammer

All about a women's space jail.

So much quotable goodness in it.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

me your dad posted:

Metal Storm, Zone Troopers, and Heatseeker all come to mind. I'm fairly certain that Heatseeker is what Kickpuncher in Community is based on. Kick boxing cyborg romance and all that.

It isn't on Instant, but if you can get Robot Jox, watch that.

Seriously. Watch Robot Jox. Now.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Starslammer is amazing. I have a propensity to watch every terrible movie I can find. Here are some of them:

Uncle Sam - This movie is pretty amazing
Jack Frost
Pinocchio's Revenge
Serial Rabbit 3
Battle Beyond the Stars
Humanoids from the Deep
ThanksKilling
Time Barbarians
Birdemic- the worst movie ever.
The Reef

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mds2 posted:

Starslammer is amazing.

"You're gonna act like alley cats, I'm going to TREAT you like alleycats"

It really was a special piece of magic.

Great list, but you forgot the obvious - Troll 2

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

"You're gonna act like alley cats, I'm going to TREAT you like alleycats"

It really was a special piece of magic.

Great list, but you forgot the obvious - Troll 2

Doh! Troll 2 is my fav too!

Another favorite: Vicious Lips

Do NOT try to follow the plot, you will have an aneurism.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

mds2 posted:

Another favorite: Vicious Lips

Do NOT try to follow the plot, you will have an aneurism.

Because of this movie my karaoke name will forever be The Venusian Man-Beast.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for all the recommendations - just started Nazis at the Center of the Earth and we'll queue up the others mentioned.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
If you're in a Cary Grant mood, Monkey Business and Charade are up, and still great.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Prof. Numbers posted:

Both Pet Sematary and Children of the Corn are up on instant. Cheesy eighties Stephen King adaptations, what's not to love?

Pet Sematary 2 is also up if you're in the mood to hate yourself. That said, Fred Gwynne is pretty rad in Pet Sematary and does an amazingly authentic "ayuh."

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

matrocious posted:

Pet Sematary 2 is also up if you're in the mood to hate yourself. That said, Fred Gwynne is pretty rad in Pet Sematary and does an amazingly authentic "ayuh."

Fred Gwynne loving rules, although I'm pretty sure Herman Munster would kick the poo poo out of a loving evil baby and not go out like a bitch.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
A bunch of Friday the 13th movies are up. Pretty much 1 thru 9 except 5 for some reason. The sixth and seventh installments are easily my favorites and are worth a watch if you like campy 80's slasher flicks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

El Diente posted:

A bunch of Friday the 13th movies are up. Pretty much 1 thru 9 except 5 for some reason. The sixth and seventh installments are easily my favorites and are worth a watch if you like campy 80's slasher flicks.

And there goes my day tomorrow.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie is really uneven, but the good parts are fantastic and the parts that go a bit towards the overlong side are infrequent enough and the movie is short enough to make it altogether worthwhile. Of course, Tim and Eric's stuff is... not for everyone.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
What Planet Are You From?

Gary Shandling, Annette Bening, John loving Goodman, Greg Kinnear, Ben Kingsley, and Judy Greer. Watch this film about Gary Shandling's humming robot penis. It's amazing.

seriously it's a funny movie about aliens trying to take over earth, just watch it

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Switchblade Sisters is amazing. It's also a Quentin Tarantino favorite, which makes sense when you see the movie.

Netflix has a decent enough collection of grindhouse I'm finding.

Raskolnikov2089 has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Jul 20, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Oh god, Nazis at the center of the Earth is horrible even by SyFy standards.

They cgi truck headlights then 2 seconds later pull up in a real truck. :wtf:

"Why is the ice blue?"
"The ice is clear its the water behind it that's blue."
- this from supposed scientists

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Statins "Nazis..." now. What does Netflix have it rated for everyone? 2.5 stars here.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Just watched Helldriver which is now my favorite zombie film. Ridiculous and disturbing it was quite the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

Statins "Nazis..." now. What does Netflix have it rated for everyone? 2.5 stars here.

2.5 here too. The movie really takes off when Futurama Hitler shows up.

• Locked thread