Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

atehist posted:

Apparently the screen on my Nexus 7 cracked on its own today. I was using it this morning, left for work, and came back home to find the screen unresponsive with a crack running diagonally. I have only used it for a few hours watching a few movies and browsing the web. :waycool:

That is a really odd crack. It certainly doesn't look like the result of some sort of trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

atehist posted:

It did get incredibly humid and hot today in a relatively short period of time, but I would have hoped that Google's Flagship Tablet wouldn't be susceptible to non-extreme temperature variations.

I got off the phone with Asus and opened a ticket with them. The person on the phone basically stated that all I could do was open a ticket, send it in, and go from there, where I am assuming it will promptly get rejected due to a crack. Hooray.

You should've tried going for a replacement before going through warranty (though it's not too late, you can still try it first before shipping it then just cancel the ticket if it works), since warranty is going to take a longer period/more effort. Plus there's no telling it won't get further problems down the line even after the screen is fixed, especially since you say it also suffered from the creaky build problem.

The crack is thin/unnaturally uniform, so if you bought it from retail "it had it out of the box" would've had a good chance of working, since you could've emphasized the thinness of it/that the device shows no point of impact if you got any resistance. Similarly if you got it from Google Play, "Defective, had a thin crack across the screen out of the box" would get you a fairly effortless swap, since it would easily get past their clearance on receipt.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 20, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Worst case scenario buy a warranty from SquareTrade. For the Nexus 7 it's either $23 or $27, depending on if you got the 8 or 16 GB model. It's a little shady since you're buying the warranty after the fact, but gently caress it. Buy the warranty, wait a week or two, send it in and they'll either send you a check, deposite it into your paypal, or send you a fixed tablet.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Where do you put video/ebooks when you're copying them via USB to be able to use them on the nexus 7?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have noticed that some apps in 4.0 and higher will dim the home/menu/back keys and the clock/notification area into little grey dots when you're doing something fullscreen. Kindle, Netflix and Dark Horse are a few I have noticed doing this. Its helpful cause they are not only less annoying but also less likely to burn in the screen. Is there a way to force other apps to do this too? Or can it only be controlled by the app itself? Specifically I want comixology and perfect viewer to dim the software buttons while in reading mode.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Screen on time was just over 7hr on the Nexus 7. Fantastic device.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Quandary posted:

Where do you put video/ebooks when you're copying them via USB to be able to use them on the nexus 7?

If you are using the kindle app, the "kindle" folder works..for books. Dunno about video or getting books into the google play menu.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Any opinions on reading comics and magazine on the device? That's my main draw to this tablet.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

strategery posted:

Any opinions on reading comics and magazine on the device? That's my main draw to this tablet.
Comic reading is about 75% of my tablet use so I might be able to chime in. On a 7" tablet I find that it's way too small to read in full page mode. So if you're buying comics from comiXology or Dark Horse you'll probably just read in per-panel mode ("guided mode").

If you're reading stolen CBRs you should be ashamed of yourself! But you can just turn a 7" tablet sideways and fit to width and read them top to bottom with a fairly significant amount of up and down scrolling. 2-page spreads and vertical-heavy layouts or anything illustrated by J.H. Williams III will be a bigger pain to take in. Older comics or Walking Dead or anything that has a standard 9-panel layout is super easy to read this way on a 7" screen.

10" tablets are a lot different (and better) experience. Nearly every comic reads great in full page mode.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Syrinxx posted:

Comic reading is about 75% of my tablet use so I might be able to chime in. On a 7" tablet I find that it's way too small to read in full page mode. So if you're buying comics from comiXology or Dark Horse you'll probably just read in per-panel mode ("guided mode").

If you're reading stolen CBRs you should be ashamed of yourself! But you can just turn a 7" tablet sideways and fit to width and read them top to bottom with a fairly significant amount of up and down scrolling. 2-page spreads and vertical-heavy layouts or anything illustrated by J.H. Williams III will be a bigger pain to take in. Older comics or Walking Dead or anything that has a standard 9-panel layout is super easy to read this way on a 7" screen.

10" tablets are a lot different (and better) experience. Nearly every comic reads great in full page mode.

Sounds like it would work okay. 200-250 is far cheaper than a $500-$600 ipad. iPAD is too expensive for me to justify it, but 200 is cheap enough for a device i can use for reading and such. I plan on buying my comics, so I should have auto-panning for most things.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I just got my Nexus 7, and it feels pretty quality. No screen issues, nice and tight, and a good weight. Compared to the Tab 2 7.0 that will be going back, it is no contest. The extra resolution at that size makes everything much more readable.

Now I need a case. Though lacking, is the manufacturer case/cover available in Gamestop for me to look at?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've just bought an iPad but the wife seems to have liberated it from my clutches.

This seems to be pretty much what I want it to be, small xbmc remote that will also get used as a screen via remote desktop to my media server.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

strategery posted:

For reading manga, it's perfect. For reading North American comics, you will have to zoom in a lot I'm sure, but it's easy to do, and you can flip the tablet on its side and have more screen width for viewing. I am really enjoying it so far. I downloaded a free issue of the walking dead from one of the comic apps, and I didn't feel like it was too small most of the time. Of course it isn't like reading on a 10 inch tablet, but then you also have the price increase with that, and portability is not as good.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wouldn't think there would be a lot of portability difference for most guys (purses are different) between 7"/10" tablets. Unless I'm wearing a suit with a sufficient inside pocket in the jacket the only way I'm carrying a tablet is inside a laptop bag which can fit either size.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

low-key-taco posted:

I wouldn't think there would be a lot of portability difference for most guys (purses are different) between 7"/10" tablets. Unless I'm wearing a suit with a sufficient inside pocket in the jacket the only way I'm carrying a tablet is inside a laptop bag which can fit either size.

Should fit in a pocket in cargo pants, but then do many people still wear them besides me? Pockets are useful.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good solutions to let me read and response to SMS seemlessly from my tablet (N7)? Requiring my phone (GNex) to be on the same Wi-Fi network is fine. I'm fine with paying for something but it must not add any bullshit tag lines to my texts and the interface should look and work something like the usual Messaging app (conversations, contact icons, forwarding, etc.).

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Tunga posted:

Are there any good solutions to let me read and response to SMS seemlessly from my tablet (N7)? Requiring my phone (GNex) to be on the same Wi-Fi network is fine. I'm fine with paying for something but it must not add any bullshit tag lines to my texts and the interface should look and work something like the usual Messaging app (conversations, contact icons, forwarding, etc.).

I think Tablet Talk does everything you're looking for. I've used it before and it works pretty well, but I had trouble syncing old messages sometimes. Looking at the comments it appears the syncing issue is fixed though.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Tunga posted:

If you're open to using Google Voice, that will work flawlessly. I do and can send and receive texts with my phone, tablet, and any PC from the website.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Just took the plunge on a Nexus 7. For anyone in the UK on the fence, you can get some cash off if you order from tescos.com. I'm getting mine delivered to the local store, which will be there tomorrow apparently.

If you're already a registered customer use: TDX-KPHM at checkout for £10 off
If you register a new tesco.com account, use: TDX-Y7LM for £20 off

Source: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-google-nexus-16gb-189-179-tesco-direct-collect-instore-add-3-for-home-delivery-1268750

Captain Cancer fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 20, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Boy now I'm sure glad I preordered three weeks ago.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

If you're open to using Google Voice, that will work flawlessly. I do and can send and receive texts with my phone, tablet, and any PC from the website.
I would love to Google Voice but Google doesn't offer it in the UK :( .

Konjuro posted:

I think Tablet Talk does everything you're looking for.
Thanks, will give this a whirl.

Captain Cancer posted:

Just took the plunge on a Nexus 7. For anyone in the UK on the fence, you can get some cash off if you order from tescos.com. I'm getting mine delivered to the local store, which will be there tomorrow apparently.

Source: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-google-nexus-16gb-189-179-tesco-direct-collect-instore-add-3-for-home-delivery-1268750
The £20 appears to have now been deactivated for electrical items.

I've also seen them in stock in a few Currys stores at the usual £199 price.

I also feel pretty bad for the people that ordered from Google :( .

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 20, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Here in Canada at least, I don't think any retail channel has received them yet. I'd love for someone to point out I'm wrong and then see if I can still cancel my pre-order.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Captain Cancer posted:

Sorry everyone, it seems that you simply can't trust the tesco website for product availability. I have just been sent the dreaded 'Unable to fulfill your order', after it being confirmed and payment taken earlier today. Bastids

No indication whatsoever from customer service for future availability. Useless

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Captain Cancer posted:

Sorry everyone, it seems that you simply can't trust the tesco website for product availability. I have just been sent the dreaded 'Unable to fulfill your order', after it being confirmed and payment taken earlier today. Bastids

No indication whatsoever from customer service for future availability. Useless

So, is there any place selling N7s other than Tesco, Currys and the official Play Store?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

teethgrinder posted:

Here in Canada at least, I don't think any retail channel has received them yet. I'd love for someone to point out I'm wrong and then see if I can still cancel my pre-order.

I called our local Staples on Tuesday and they had 5 in stock and one on display.

Southern Ontario.

I'm afraid of the screen creeking issue so I figured I'd be better off just waiting for the second batch to ship out.

Off topic, what uses more battery, WiFi or Bluetooth?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 20, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Freezer posted:

So, is there any place selling N7s other than Tesco, Currys and the official Play Store?

There's also Ebuyer, Carphone Warehouse, Dixons, PC World. However, Ebuyer are out of stock after shipping all of theirs a week early, Carphone Warehouse don't seem to know what it is ("You want the Nexus Samsung phone?" was the response I got in the Tottenham Court Road store, and "Nexus is a phone!", followed by me walking out), Dixons is web-only and uses the same stock as the Currys and PC World sites, and PC World stores are now cross-branded with Currys.

So basically I think the best chance of getting one is Currys right now. Warren Street had a bunch yesterday which weren't taken by pre-orders, on the off-chance that you're in London.

Oh and the Play Store now doesn't even list a delivery estimate, it just shows as out of stock.

On the plus side, 8GBs are ready to ship!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Nexus 7 is my first foray into Android tablets and I'm really happy with it so far. The 7" size is perfect for reading and one handed use, and I actually prefer the plastic back to the aluminum iPad back. For all the talk about how smooth and buttery the interface is, a lot of things feel sort of clunky even compared to my iPad 1.

Anyone stand suggestions for the Nexus 7? I have the 12south compass stand for my iPad and something similar but smaller would be perfect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

powderific posted:

Anyone stand suggestions for the Nexus 7? I have the 12south compass stand for my iPad and something similar but smaller would be perfect.

I got this stand for my Xoom and it seems to work perfectly fine with my Nexus 7 as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Portable-Fold-Up-Galaxy-BlackBerry/dp/B000CKVOOY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1342798559&sr=8-7&keywords=arkon+tablet

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

atehist posted:

It did get incredibly humid and hot today in a relatively short period of time, but I would have hoped that Google's Flagship Tablet wouldn't be susceptible to non-extreme temperature variations.

Glass is glass. If there were a tiny crack on the outer edge to even start with, changes from hot/cold and cold/hot will expand a crack.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So after hearing the news that Google had managed to bugger up the address labels for UK preorders, I decided to get my Nexus 7 elsewhere, snagging a reservation with PC World about 20 miles away.

Then I got home from picking it up to find a TNT 'we missed you!' slip. Then helpfully, Google sent me an email telling me that my order had been shipped 5
hours after TNT attempted to deliver it to my door :downs:

So now I can either tell them to return it to Google for a refund, or sell my spare. Anybody in Cambridge looking to buy?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, I dunno what google is thinking with shipping notifications. Mine is apparently on the truck ready to be dropped off today, but I still haven't gotten an email from google saying "hey we're charging your card and shipping your order" or anything of the such.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rohaq posted:

So now I can either tell them to return it to Google for a refund, or sell my spare. Anybody in Cambridge looking to buy?

Cant you take the one from PC World back to PC World and get your money back?

Unless you're just trying to be helpful of course.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
How well do flash videos work on Android? Im thinking fo picking up a nexus 7, a big reason I don't want an iPad is a lot of sites I use still do not have flash alternatives.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I placed and order on Walmart.com since it was 1 dollar shipping and said it would be here by next Tuesday. Is that the best way to get one at this stage? Are Brick and Mortar stores pretty much dry now?

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

Phiberoptik posted:

How well do flash videos work on Android? Im thinking fo picking up a nexus 7, a big reason I don't want an iPad is a lot of sites I use still do not have flash alternatives.

They don't - from Jelly Bean onwards Flash support has been dropped from Android.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GigaPeon posted:

I placed and order on Walmart.com since it was 1 dollar shipping and said it would be here by next Tuesday. Is that the best way to get one at this stage? Are Brick and Mortar stores pretty much dry now?

Call the staples in your area.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Cant you take the one from PC World back to PC World and get your money back?

Unless you're just trying to be helpful of course.

I cracked open the box in the car park, to make sure it wasn't damaged before driving 20-odd miles home. Too late!

I could just reject the package and await my refund, but I thought I'd give folks a chance whilst it's still a rare item.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Smegbot posted:

They don't - from Jelly Bean onwards Flash support has been dropped from Android.

There's a workaround for this: you can sideload the flash apk and it will function (though not in chrome). Directions are here.

Adobe has stopped supporting flash on all mobile devices though, so you should see fewer and fewer flash sites going forward.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Don Lapre posted:

Call the staples in your area.

The Nexus 7 is back on the Staples website and shows out of stock everywhere around me :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Walrusmaster posted:

There's a workaround for this: you can sideload the flash apk and it will function (though not in chrome). Directions are here.

Adobe has stopped supporting flash on all mobile devices though, so you should see fewer and fewer flash sites going forward.

Thanks - I'm glad that its not being supported to be honest. Should encourage sites to be less lazy about it.

I'm really digging the idea of this 7" format. Will be picking one up at my local futureshop :) the iPad is a bit too big for use on the go in my opinion.