Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop, have you considered a stationary lifestyle? When you tried to drive, you broke your car, when you tried to bike, you popped its tire, and when you tried to walk, you broke your back.

This whole "motion" thing isn't really working out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger Pudding
Jan 11, 2007

My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary.

Old Man Fancington posted:

Tuyop, have you considered a stationary lifestyle? When you tried to drive, you broke your car, when you tried to bike, you popped its tire, and when you tried to walk, you broke your back.

Imagine what would happen if he started swimming.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Badger Pudding posted:

Imagine what would happen if he started swimming.

If he is anything like his car, they will have to send in divers and get a tow truck out to the lake to rescue him.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grok posted:

If there's anything more helpful than a small pump and a patch kit, I don't know what it is.

I always thought they and then there was the time I blew both tires on the same chunk of concrete in the road.

April
Jul 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

I already spent that money years ago. The only thing to do now is to spend as little as possible until it's paid back. This will only last a few years or so, I'll survive.

You're starving yourself while planning vacations. The post I quoted smacks of passive-agressive, pity-mongering whining along the lines of "But I'm just doing what you guys saaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiidd".

Seriously, knock it off.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

April posted:

You're starving yourself while planning vacations. The post I quoted smacks of passive-agressive, pity-mongering whining along the lines of "But I'm just doing what you guys saaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiidd".

Seriously, knock it off.

Oh give me a break, what I said is exactly true. I'm honestly very upset about... well, everything, I keep thinking that if I had a kid now, I would have to make very hard choices about what I could feed them, what sports they could play, where we could live, et cetera. If I wasn't a tremendous financial fuckup I would also be in a better position to just quit the army (or I wouldn't have joined the regular force in the first place, but that's a long story) and then I could be with the girlfriend and we'd both be much happier, so she's miserable because I just had to have a nice car, among other things. Not to mention the lack of work once I do get out of the military, then if I do manage to find reasonable employment before going bankrupt, there's the matter of saving for retirement/kids/life and I have no idea if any of my dreams are even possible, because of how much I've screwed up. That's potentially a whole family of miserable people because of what I did wrong.

In short, maybe I can stop feeling terrible about my life if I just try to do the right thing as hard as possible. I have a positive history of putting a lot of effort into things. So you say eat rice and beans, I'll eat loving rice and beans (and frozen veggies, and oatmeal, and meat if it happens to be on sale). Bike to work? Working on that. Part-time job? gently caress Fredericton, but still trying.

I'm not starving myself, I'm dieting and eating cheaply. I eat about 1830 calories (1400 was really way too difficult and I plateaued after losing 15 lbs) per day. The nutritional profile of the food I eat is healthy enough. I eat slightly too much salt and cholesterol and significantly fewer carbs than I'm supposed to, but more fat from good sources and protein than usual.

I'm not planning vacations, I've been invited to weddings and have to take time off of work. My friends are getting married and my family misses me, I really don't have any other good reasons to spend that money so it's hard to defend, but the total cost of the trips is like two weeks of good food. Not taking the trips will not enable me to suddenly eat avocados and grass-fed beef and become a panacea of health.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
tuyop, I think asked about a month or so ago so I'm going to ask again in an attempt to give this thread some semblance of a BFC thread.

How did you do financially this past month? What did you do wrong that you could have done better and what are two things you will do this coming month to help your situation?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

In short, maybe I can stop feeling terrible about my life if I just try to do the right thing as hard as possible. I have a positive history of putting a lot of effort into things. So you say eat rice and beans, I'll eat loving rice and beans (and frozen veggies, and oatmeal, and meat if it happens to be on sale). Bike to work? Working on that. Part-time job? gently caress Fredericton, but still trying.

I'm not planning vacations, I've been invited to weddings and have to take time off of work. My friends are getting married and my family misses me, I really don't have any other good reasons to spend that money so it's hard to defend, but the total cost of the trips is like two weeks of good food. Not taking the trips will not enable me to suddenly eat avocados and grass-fed beef and become a panacea of health.

You shouldn't feel terrible about your life as you have your debts heading in the right direction. While you are financially stuck in your current situation it could be far worse. All of your friends will move on to creating their family life, that's what happens.

There are many events that I'm not able to head to not because of finances but because of work. It's a part of life that you can't always turn up to everything. However, this does make family and friends appreciate those times you can turn up.

Part of what you need to do on the financial side is think past the point where you have zero net worth. This whole process is not just about eliminating your debts, it is also about accumulating wealth. You need to find balance in your lifestyle so that you can maintain a continually improving financial situation, this leads to financial security. This means not needing or wanting to spend all of your income.

I know a lot of people that don't have your debts but instead they spend all of their income and have maintained almost zero net worth for the past decade. Technically their situation is more dire that yours as their finances are going nowhere. Think that in a few short years you can be debt free and will be able to save and invest money.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

tuyop posted:

Oh give me a break

If we do that you will literally kill yourself. And not have enough money left over to even wrap you in newspaper and toss you in a ditch.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

tuyop posted:

I'm not planning vacations, I've been invited to weddings and have to take time off of work.

That's a vacation. Going to weddings and visiting family is a luxury. If you can really afford that, fine, but there are plenty of people in the world who have to make the decision not to do these things because it's not in the budget. Viewing this sort of travel as an obligation or necessity only works to justify bad spending habits. It's a vacation.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You made some bad decisions - you can't undo them. Just take pleasure in the smart/sustainable ones that you do take. Get a little happy thrill when you do something within your means, because you'll always be able to afford it. Like, that's sustainable. It's cool, man - don't stress out too much - if you look too far in the future you'll never make it because it'll just seem pointless. Just take it one day at a time, and make sure those days go well.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

Oh give me a break, what I said is exactly true. I'm honestly very upset about... well, everything, I keep thinking that if I had a kid now, I would have to make very hard choices about what I could feed them, what sports they could play, where we could live, et cetera. If I wasn't a tremendous financial fuckup I would also be in a better position to just quit the army (or I wouldn't have joined the regular force in the first place, but that's a long story) and then I could be with the girlfriend and we'd both be much happier, so she's miserable because I just had to have a nice car, among other things. Not to mention the lack of work once I do get out of the military, then if I do manage to find reasonable employment before going bankrupt, there's the matter of saving for retirement/kids/life and I have no idea if any of my dreams are even possible, because of how much I've screwed up. That's potentially a whole family of miserable people because of what I did wrong.

Gonna throw this quote in the face of the next rear end in a top hat to bray against the advice of BFC regulars as nerds sperging about money instead of living life.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Today I replaced the chain, seat, and did a big cleanup of some other parts. Took the bike for a quick ride and almost fell but just ended up bending my back wheel. Now I need to get that fixed.

I think I'm cursed.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop,

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just think, if you remain perfectly still, you'll need less food(so you'll spend less on groceries), go on no vacations/other trips(so less money spent on that), and will stop breaking things(even more savings!).

Sounds like a solid plan to me. :v:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

tuyop posted:

Today I replaced the chain, seat, and did a big cleanup of some other parts. Took the bike for a quick ride and almost fell but just ended up bending my back wheel. Now I need to get that fixed.

Hahahha how in the hell do you manage to bend the back wheel? I know you are tuyop and your powers of antilocomotion are legend but what the hell man?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
If you break a spoke you can end up with all sorts of buckling issues. If it's only buckled in one direction you can often get it fixed (though not always the safest idea). If it's buckled in two directions it's best to replace the wheel.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop.

I was thinking about you today and it made me angry since I feel like you've given up on everything. You used to have ambition and interests and drive, but now you're horribly in debt, eating like a third-worlder, all your poo poo is broken, and your fiancee is out banging other dudes.

Bootstraps is generally not helpful advice, but Tuyop you really need to bootstrap yourself out of where you are. I know your back is broken but I present to you one Steve Stanko who got crippled by phlebitis, needed crutches to walk, and then went ahead and started pressing 300 lbs for reps. You used to be a health nut but you let it all go and now you are fat and weak, and you don't any excuse. I won't even touch on your insatiable hunger for vacations, since it's been covered repeatedly in this thread.

Tuyop you suck and your life sucks, and you need to stop being a profligate and a victim. No penny-pinching or hoovering of rice and beans is going to help you until you have a major attitude change in your life.

At least you won't be riddled with White Guilt anymore because third-worlders are scrappy as hell in trying to get a better life. In general, much scrappier than you.

menieres_4_life
Oct 27, 2007

You don't need equilibrioception to balance the books - in space!

tuyop posted:

I think I'm cursed.

lol crimezzz...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

and your fiancee is out banging other dudes.
Wait, did this happen? What is with BFC dudes and this?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

zelah posted:

Wait, did this happen? What is with BFC dudes and this?

I think there may be some connection between high levels of debt and cuckolding based on the small sample size from BFC.

EDIT: Although I don't remember anything like that from Tuyop.

Yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's because we have an open relationship and I bang other women too. It's been working great for more than two years -€” not counting the open relationships I had before this one -€” and I don't know why it really needs to be discussed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tuyop posted:

I don't know why it really needs to be discussed.

It doesn't and it wasn't before this weird non sequitur derail, but thanks for the information.

Did you figure out what to do about the bike?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Did you figure out what to do about the bike?

I took the back wheel off and brought it to my friendly sullen and elitist local bike shop and paid them 15 dollars to true it. Unfortunately they won't be open for another hour so I can't bike to work today.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Why is it that bike shops are all like that? They're the comic book stores of the sport world.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

FrozenVent posted:

Why is it that bike shops are all like that? They're the comic book stores of the sport world.

My local bike shop is awesome, you shut your mouth :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Stores run by hobbyists who are too wrapped up in their insular hobby are like this. We've discussed it at length in trad games, regarding game companies (How Not To Run A Game Business). People whose interest in their all-consuming passtime overrules business considerations, especially things like "attract new customers" and "don't alienate casual customers," shouldn't be running a business.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

menieres_4_life posted:

lol crimezzz...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

crimezzzpree!

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My local bike shop is awesome, you shut your mouth :colbert:

The official "cool" bike shop in Oslo got called out on a local forum for how they were treating new customers, they actually changed, but before that I used to loath going in there. They didn't even have anything special going for them, I just wanted to be one of the guys at the cool shop. :smith:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So it took those elitist jerks four days to fix my bike wheel because their wheel guy was on vacation or something. But I got my wheel back, trued, for 11 dollars. :toot:

I put everything back together, got the chain all functionally connected, stood the bike up, went to inflate the tire...

and my bike pump broke.

I think I should really just give up at this point.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Your life is one big joke.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I got a month of vacation coming up; I'm going to rent a speaker truck and follow tuyop around all day playing yakkity sax and appropriate sound effects. Someone start a Kickstarter for the gas.

Seriously, dude, how the gently caress do you manage to be so unlucky?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's been obvious for a while that you are suffering from depression.

Now I understand why: it's not your fault, God is genuinely pissing on you. Nothing terrible like contracting AIDS, but it's just niggle after niggle.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Speaking of AIDS, gay for pay is still on the table, right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dusseldorf posted:

Speaking of AIDS, gay for pay is still on the table, right?

Not in my physical condition. You'd have to be a pretty desperate gay to pay for this.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

You wouldn't have to be mobile for G4P. I think this is a big plus considering your luck with all mode of transportation thus far.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

spog posted:

It's been obvious for a while that you are suffering from depression.

Now I understand why: it's not your fault, God is genuinely pissing on you. Nothing terrible like contracting AIDS, but it's just niggle after niggle.

Yeah, Tuyop, it might sincerely be better if the doc prescribes you morphine instead of prozac.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

quaint bucket posted:

You wouldn't have to be mobile for G4P. I think this is a big plus considering your luck with all mode of transportation thus far.

Dear thread,

tripped over unsecured carpet on my way to bed to record JO video. Impaled on dildo and required ambulance ride. $3000 canadian moneys to suppress video from being sold by EMT's.

FML

:smith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I never thought I'd see the day when BFC would advise someone to, no poo poo, "Stop moving and consider prostitution."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Lie back and think of England.

• Locked thread