Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

D34THROW posted:

gently caress MAP08 with a passion. gently caress it, gently caress it, gently caress it. Even with the BFG, max energy ammo, and invuln powerups, I STILL died to the barons and cyberdemon like 12 times before I managed to limp away. Who designed that piece of poo poo?

Adding on to what KozmoNaut said, the map is called "Tricks and Traps" for a reason. You're supposed to approach each room a little differently. For the Cyberdemon + Baron's room, don't even fire a shot when the door opens--doing that will attract the attention of the Barons, and then you'll be SOL. Stand there in the doorway, far enough in that the Cyberdemon tries to attack you, but be weary of letting the door close on you. If it does, you'll be trapped in there until everything's dead. Let the door come down on your head a couple of times, and enjoy the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Want a major reason modern fps games suck in single player?

Hitscan weapons.

When every gun hits instantly, it sort of kind of completely eliminates the whole 'dodging projectiles and explosions' gameplay.

(We could have that argument about MP too, but that'd be another thread :v:)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
...:suicide:

I never thought of instigating infighting. I've read on the Doom wiki how infighting can make maps so much easier, but I never think of actually instigating it!

To be honest, I had kinda wondered why it looked like the Barons were all facing away from me and listening intently to the Cyberdemon giving some kind of speech. Now it makes sense.

Just gave it another run for kicks and God, it gets so much easier and entertaining when I let the Barons smack on the Cyberdemon for a bit. Then I clean up the stragglers and go on my merry way.

Also, Brutal Doom chaingun is loving awesome and I love the "cruelty bonus". What exactly is the cruelty bonus anyway?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

D34THROW posted:

Also, Brutal Doom chaingun is loving awesome and I love the "cruelty bonus". What exactly is the cruelty bonus anyway?

The cruelty bonus is when you finish a mortally wounded opponent (re: anybody crawling around / on their knees) by headshotting them. The hitboxes for headshots are far from perfect, though. You seem to have to kick slightly above their heads to land it, and I've done it with aimed rifle shots, too. You get a small (+5) bonus to health or armor.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Does anyone else have a preferred DEH/BEX file they use while playing Doom? This is the one I prefer to use when not playing "seriously" http://www.banfiction.com/trandorian/dehacked.deh

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
People still use DEHACKED?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

People still use DEHACKED?

Pretty much all source ports support it/BEX which is pretty much the same thing for the same purpose.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

What the gently caress is it with the creators of Plutonia and goddamned commando ambushes? I mean, I appreciate the free ammo and all, but drat, when 12 of the fuckers pop up, you're bound to take a hit or seventeen before you can escape and plink their zombified skulls.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

D34THROW posted:

What the gently caress is it with the creators of Plutonia and goddamned commando ambushes? I mean, I appreciate the free ammo and all, but drat, when 12 of the fuckers pop up, you're bound to take a hit or seventeen before you can escape and plink their zombified skulls.

Funny, I always thought they abused Revenants a lot more than chaingunners in Plutonia. That gets really old when a horde of them pops out of a monster closet and you spend the next couple minutes frantically trying to find cover and hope no fireballs manage to follow you into your hidey-hole. At least groups of chaingunners can usually be duped into infighting and/or killed fairly quickly.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Encryptic posted:

Funny, I always thought they abused Revenants a lot more than chaingunners in Plutonia. That gets really old when a horde of them pops out of a monster closet and you spend the next couple minutes frantically trying to find cover and hope no fireballs manage to follow you into your hidey-hole. At least groups of chaingunners can usually be duped into infighting and/or killed fairly quickly.

SOME groups of commandos can be lured into infights. When they're all on raised platforms above you or all separated by walls...yeah...

And I haven't run into any nasty revenant traps yet and only one nasty Hell Knight/Baron trap, but then again, I'm only up to Baron's Lair.

Guys were loving psycho either way...8 commandos and a spider mastermind...Christ.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
In case someone here doesn't have Half-Life 1 or it's expansions yet, the Half-Life Complete pack, which includes the HL1 and HL2 games, HL1: Source (the Source Engine remake of the first game that isn't the possibly dead Black Mesa: Source), and Team Fortress Classic, is $10 for the next four hours on Steam. You can buy individual games if there are some that you don't have yet, but the pack as a whole is a great deal if you want extra copies to give to friends or trade for other Steam games. I ended up buying TFC for $1.25 (despite the fact that everyone and their great grandparents who aren't "pro trick jumpers" moved on to TF2) since I don't have it on Steam.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Don't talk poo poo about TFC. It's still really fun if you know a little bit about how Quake-style games work. :mad:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 14, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

closeted republican posted:

Don't talk poo poo about TFC. It's still really fun if you know a little bit about how Quake-style games work. :mad:
I wasn't... :shobon: Actually, I just got done playing a little bit and it's still pretty fun even if you don't know all the advance Quake-movement tricks (I know the basic stuff like rocket/grenade jumping and bunny hopping, but anything beyond that looks like magic to me). I'm sure there were people who are used to TF2 trying to play because some guy tried to cap the 2fort flag in the cap room rather than the battlements, which is something I still remember to this day. :)

I was actually under the assumption that the crowd that was left were the ones who play all the trick jumping maps, but it looks like there's still a decent sized crowd of people who play the regular maps. Although, that's probably due to the sale and that crowd will die down in a couple weeks.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 14, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Unreal Tournament '99 is currently on Steam for $2.49, or as part of the Unreal Deal Pack for (Unreal, Unreal 2, UT99, 2004, and UT3) for $9.99. This is a good time to purchase and keep a permanent install of UT99 on your PC so you aren't the laughing stock of your idiot nerd friends. Avoid being permanently branded as somebody who will never "get" games. It's also a good time to play Unreal, and then put on your rose-colored glasses and play Unreal 2.

Since I'll never get another chance to say this, I'd just like to point out that Unreal 2 marks the official end of the "Early FPS" era. Released in early 2003, it had a lot going for it: radical, UT99-style music (if you have any doubts, skip to 1:20 and slap yourself), imaginative locations (including diving into the butthole of a living planet), and a lot of promising features on the drawing board, such as an interactive crew and compelling alien creatures.

A lot was cut from the final product. Unlike the original Unreal--which had you crashlanding on a strange planet, teeming with both peaceful and hostile alien life--90% of Unreal 2 had shooting the same 3 flavors of mercenaries (light, medium, and heavy, of course) in different outfits. Only the thinnest veneer of Unreal remained, and it wasn't the colored lights or distinctly 90's sound effects and weapon selection. Unreal 2 was a strange, unhappy marriage of sci-fi and Medal of Honor, and signaled the shifting tide in FPS games.

The end.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 18, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unreal Tournament '99 is currently on Steam for $2.49, or as part of the Unreal Deal Pack for (Unreal, Unreal 2, UT99, 2004, and UT3) for $9.99. This is a good time to purchase and keep a permanent install of UT99 on your PC so you aren't the laughing stock of your idiot nerd friends. Avoid being permanently branded as somebody who will never "get" games. It's also a good time to play Unreal, and then put on your rose-colored glasses and play Unreal 2.

Since I'll never get another chance to say this, I'd just like to point out that Unreal 2 marks the official end of the "Early FPS" era. Released in early 2003, it had a lot going for it: radical, UT99-style music (if you have any doubts, skip to 1:20 and slap yourself), imaginative locations (including diving into the butthole of a living planet), and a lot of promising features on the drawing board, such as an interactive crew and compelling alien creatures.

A lot was cut from the final product. Unlike the original Unreal--which had you crashlanding on a strange planet, teeming with both peaceful and hostile alien life--90% of Unreal 2 had shooting the same 3 flavors of mercenaries (light, medium, and heavy, of course) in different outfits. Only the thinnest veneer of Unreal remained, and it wasn't the colored lights or distinctly 90's sound effects and weapon selection. Unreal 2 was a strange, unhappy marriage of sci-fi and Medal of Honor, and signaled the shifting tide in FPS games.

The end.

Beautiful. More of a Quake man, myself, but that doesn't stop me from grabbing my dad's Anthology DVD and loading up some sweet, sweet UT99 action. Last time I tried it was all jerky, but I think that was an issue with the DX10 Renderer and my laptop automatically using the Intel HD chip instead of my sexy Graphics card, but I fixed that! Sadly the disc is two states away.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If there's anything that bothers me about current fps games...

... ok if there's one thing that bothers me a lot about current fps games, it's the loss of insane scale and insane locations.

We literally have the ability to build _anything_ your crazy artists can dream up (and artists are, universally, crazy), and you want to do another loving office building?

gently caress that. Give me planets with structures so tall they stretch off the top of the screen, weird alien poo poo, and unbelievably cool looking vistas.

Even games I love (Borderlands) suffer from this to some degree.

More insanity, less grounded boringness.

(I just grabbed Eye, so I'm getting both the scale and the crazy in one retro dose :v:)

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

The worst part about all the cuts from Unreal 2 is that they sounded like by far the most interesting things in the game. I guess that does explain why they ended up cut though, as copy-pasting more generic Mercenaries takes far less effort than creating enemies and scenarios that are interesting and original.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Since I'll never get another chance to say this, I'd just like to point out that Unreal 2 marks the official end of the "Early FPS" era. [...] Unreal 2 was a strange, unhappy marriage of sci-fi and Medal of Honor, and signaled the shifting tide in FPS games.

Unreal 2 may have been the end of the end, but I still think Half-Life was the beginning of the end. It marked the start of the move from levels-as-challenges, either without plot (Doom) or with plot contained in, but mostly independent from, the levels (Marathon), to more linear levels designed as much (or more) to tell a story as to challenge the player. You can see the beginnings of the modern "corridor shooter" in Half-Life's design.

Of course, Half-Life had a lot of other stuff going for it as well, such as interesting weapons, enemies, and locales, most of which seem to have been lost since.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

Unreal 2 may have been the end of the end, but I still think Half-Life was the beginning of the end. It marked the start of the move from levels-as-challenges, either without plot (Doom) or with plot contained in, but mostly independent from, the levels (Marathon), to more linear levels designed as much (or more) to tell a story as to challenge the player. You can see the beginnings of the modern "corridor shooter" in Half-Life's design.

Of course, Half-Life had a lot of other stuff going for it as well, such as interesting weapons, enemies, and locales, most of which seem to have been lost since.

I feel that's more HL2. Half-Life 1 still had level design that looped around on itself, so you'd return to areas you thought you were done with, and certain sub-areas that you could do non-linearly (like the room with the big tentacle monster). HL2 never did that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Unreal II is easily one of my biggest disappointments in gaming. Good lord that was a letdown.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

I feel that's more HL2. Half-Life 1 still had level design that looped around on itself, so you'd return to areas you thought you were done with, and certain sub-areas that you could do non-linearly (like the room with the big tentacle monster). HL2 never did that.

Most of those "loops" were one-way tracks that just brought you back to different areas (or states) of the same room, not true loops - the way you revisit the start of We've Got Hostiles as you transition to Blast Pit is a good example. And the nonlinearity of Blast Pit is limited to "which of these two completely linear levels would you rather do next", which personally I find less interesting than having a fixed level order but a lot of leeway in how I approach each level.

HL1 does have some branches and loops, and some hidden side areas, but if you compare it to something like Descent (or Thief, for that matter), it's really obvious that the levels were designed as something the player progresses through in a more-or-less linear fashion from start to finish, rather than something the player explores and, in so doing, eventually finds and unlocks the exit.

There's room for both styles of FPS - in the same game, even! - but most developers seem to have taken HL1's (hugely popular) design and taken it much further than HL1 itself did.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

Most of those "loops" were one-way tracks that just brought you back to different areas (or states) of the same room, not true loops - the way you revisit the start of We've Got Hostiles as you transition to Blast Pit is a good example. And the nonlinearity of Blast Pit is limited to "which of these two completely linear levels would you rather do next", which personally I find less interesting than having a fixed level order but a lot of leeway in how I approach each level.

HL1 does have some branches and loops, and some hidden side areas, but if you compare it to something like Descent (or Thief, for that matter), it's really obvious that the levels were designed as something the player progresses through in a more-or-less linear fashion from start to finish, rather than something the player explores and, in so doing, eventually finds and unlocks the exit.

There's room for both styles of FPS - in the same game, even! - but most developers seem to have taken HL1's (hugely popular) design and taken it much further than HL1 itself did.

Well it's really interesting that you brought up Marathon in your previous post, because almost all of Marathon's "non-linear" nature is actually the same way: it's a non-linear sequence of linear paths. Levels either clearly describe the objective, or they don't, but the amount of exploration is narrowed down considerably. Only a handful of levels are more open-ended, like A Converted Church in Venice, Italy from Infinity, and of those, many of them are very bad. Sometimes the illusion of choice is more effective than actual choice.

Comparing Thief to a traditional FPS is pretty risky business, considering the point isn't really to run through and kill people. As for Descent, it's fortunate that the game itself was so fun because the level design was rear end -- so many of the levels were basically mazes in three dimensions.

eta: The biggest difference I can think of is actually that the amount of non-essential areas in level design has gone down as the effort involved in level design has increased. I can think of examples from Doom and Marathon. Marathon 2 has the level Come and Take Your Medicine; it's a huge, expansive level, but the objective is two rooms over and the terminal describes exactly how to get there and back. Doom 2 has the abominable level The Pit, which is huge, but you can skip about two thirds of it (thankfully).

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 18, 2012

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Yodzilla posted:

Unreal II is easily one of my biggest disappointments in gaming. Good lord that was a letdown.

I got it on Steam during one of the sales based on dim memories of enjoyment, played it for about an hour. I'm not sure what I was smoking the first time I played it - it's.... not great.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The guy who made "Nazis!", WildWeasel, has released the first public beta of a follow-up, "Terrorists!", which aims for a cheesy 80s-90s Hollywood action movie theme.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

The guy who made "Nazis!", WildWeasel, has released the first public beta of a follow-up, "Terrorists!", which aims for a cheesy 80s-90s Hollywood action movie theme.

Oh hell yes. Nazis! is one of my favorite mods and I love cheesy action movies.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Oh, nice. While Nazis! was Wolfenstein, Terrorists! is Rise of The Triad. I approve.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Oh, nice. While Nazis! was Wolfenstein, Terrorists! is Rise of The Triad. I approve.

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but Terrorists! is Tekwar more than anything. Great regardless.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I must say, Nazis! never did it for me but this is something else. Just played it with the ScytheX levels and it's a perfect fit with the 80's action sci-fi feel. All that's missing is a key to shout 'Get your rear end to Mars!'
The actual gameplay is great too, though does seem a bit tough.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

I got it on Steam during one of the sales based on dim memories of enjoyment, played it for about an hour. I'm not sure what I was smoking the first time I played it - it's.... not great.

For some reason I beat it twice. I don't know why; the gameplay is boring crap against the same mercenaries, the weapons are generic bullshit instead of the cool and weird weapons Unreal is known for (a shotgun in Unreal? Are you loving kidding?), the sense of exploration and wonder from the original is completely gone, and the hyped-up plot and character interaction are garbage. It really did serve as the end of the old school FPS, whether the developers knew it or not at the time.

The review for it on SA's review section is a perfect description of how generic it is.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

victrix posted:

... ok if there's one thing that bothers me a lot about current fps games, it's the loss of insane scale and insane locations.

We literally have the ability to build _anything_ your crazy artists can dream up (and artists are, universally, crazy), and you want to do another loving office building?

gently caress that. Give me planets with structures so tall they stretch off the top of the screen, weird alien poo poo, and unbelievably cool looking vistas.

(I just grabbed Eye, so I'm getting both the scale and the crazy in one retro dose :v:)

I couldn't agree with you more. Borderlands does have some cool vistas - the end of Krom's Canyon springs to mind, and some of the other parts at the edges of levels. I thought Halo's outdoor levels were nice and wide and expansive too. The original Jedi Knight had some awesome open levels that were massive.

"Another office building" is a great way to describe most modern shooters, though. Probably a result of Counterstrike's popularity plus post-9/11 terrorist plots in games.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Remember all these kids who made Doom maps of their school? Now they've grown up, got jobs in the video game industry, and make Gears of Crysis: Warfare Evolved maps of their office...

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
all this talk about unreal II's cut content just reminded me of this wiki that had a bunch of pages and info on game alphas and betas

I can't remember what it was called, but I know it had a bunch of pages for FPS games like Quake, Daikatana, Duke 3D, Doom, and also The legend of zelda: Ocarina of time

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

NoodleBox posted:

all this talk about unreal II's cut content just reminded me of this wiki that had a bunch of pages and info on game alphas and betas

I can't remember what it was called, but I know it had a bunch of pages for FPS games like Quake, Daikatana, Duke 3D, Doom, and also The legend of zelda: Ocarina of time

http://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor

Have fun spending hours reading this stuff.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

closeted republican posted:

For some reason I beat it twice. I don't know why; the gameplay is boring crap against the same mercenaries, the weapons are generic bullshit instead of the cool and weird weapons Unreal is known for (a shotgun in Unreal? Are you loving kidding?), the sense of exploration and wonder from the original is completely gone, and the hyped-up plot and character interaction are garbage. It really did serve as the end of the old school FPS, whether the developers knew it or not at the time.

The review for it on SA's review section is a perfect description of how generic it is.

I liked the rainbow tracers on the generic machine gun, though.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

victrix posted:

I'm getting out of the realm of "early" here, but this is one reason I like Pathologic a lot -- it has its banal surroundings* (if you consider a back-country Not-USSR town banal), but the impossible and wondrous things that are there are very plot-relevant for being impossible and wondrous. (Especially if you can find out/understand what and why they are.)

* Although the steppes outside of town are beautifully desolate.

...It's really too bad it's so difficult to play, because it's amazing. :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Kins posted:

I see a Beretta. Please tell me you can use two at once for proper Chow Yun Fat action. :ohdear:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Let's get the rumor mill a-spinning, shall we?

Evolve PR, a publicity firm that's spun up business for Atari, 2K, GOG and the like, tweeted something interesting lately:

quote:

Going to QuakeCon? We'll be revealing the revival of a much-loved classic PC shooter at the show. What could it be?
Now, the easy guess would be Doom 4, but the weirdos at Duke4 (apparently looking for another vaporware sequel to lust after) have put on their educated-guess caps and believe it might be tied to a project being revealed at QuakeCon by Interceptor Entertainment - formerly a modding team that were working on a Duke 3D remake for Unreal Engine 3 - that may or may not be a Rise of the Triad sequel.

Granted, I'd be very surprised if it has even half of the surrealistic, janky charm of the original, but it'll be fun to discuss at the very least. And hey, even the worst, farthest-off-the-mark reboot won't take away from the fun of the original game, no matter what those poor bastards in the Ultima thread are thinking. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Please let it be a Rise of the Triad sequel because that'd just be the weirdest thing ever.

e: better yet, i think it's high time we rounded out the Blake Stone trilogy :colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yodzilla posted:

Please let it be a Rise of the Triad sequel because that'd just be the weirdest thing ever.

I want LUDICROUS GIBS in glorious bumpmapped realtime-lighted 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So when all the Red Faction stuff went on sale yesterday, I found out that - somehow - I already owned Red Faction 1 and 2 on Steam.

Time to fire up the original and see how well it holds up. :black101: Free Mars!