Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
2) Jade Falcon Guards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Defiance Industries posted:

I think PTN said he would let us know for sure what the campaign was, didn't he?

I'm guessing that there are three possible campaigns, which is why three of the four choices have an [INVASION] tag. That's my suspicion, anyways.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

John Charity Spring posted:

1. I like the sound of the possibly-outmatched Kestrel Grenadiers trying to take a world from the Clans.

Agreed, 1. I hope we'll see some of the new designs in the AFDS. DSMS? Whatever.

4 sounds fun, too, but there's no way it'll win against the campaigns.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shoeless posted:

2) Jade Falcon Guards

What Zeroisanumber said pretty much. Plus, I doubt even the Jade Falcon's best can take on ~72 mechs (assuming 3 companies of 12 mechs per battalion) and survive. It'll be interesting to see how Goon Trinary does.
I was going to say you were wrong until you added "and survive". Aidan Pryde could manage the taking them on bit, but he won't make it out alive.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm guessing that there are three possible campaigns, which is why three of the four choices have an [INVASION] tag. That's my suspicion, anyways.
Well spotted. I think you may be correct and thus the Kestrel Grenadiers offer more opportunity for Goonlances than my second choice.

Vote: 1.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Voting 3) Death Commandos.

Because I just love people beating up Hasek and his goons. (No relation between Hasek's goons and Goonlance.)

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
cHPPCs? :ohdear:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
1). 1st Kestrel Grenadiers

I want to see how our old buddies Seidman and the Horses are doing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Plek posted:

cHPPCs? :ohdear:
No, CERPPC with Capacitors. It's not actually a good idea.

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
1) 1st Kestrel Grenadiers

I'd like to see the Draconis Suns take the fight to the clans for once.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Explain. If it is about the possibility of explosion when the weapon takes a hit, then Gauss Rifles also suck. :colbert:

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

FYI: The Jade Falcons make the Death Commandos look like Little Mary Sunshine.
2) Jade Falcon Guards

Also, there is no clan so prone to last-heartbeat DFAing as the Falcons. Pity Marthe is too young to be their Khan right now.

Adam500
Mar 27, 2010
Bring on the Jade Falcons.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh... I'm all for it then.

( 1 )
I generally avoid Clan fights, but how often do you get to see the IS take a piece back?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
What does a PPC capacitor do again? Stupid new stuff.

vvvv Thanks.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 20, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

Explain. If it is about the possibility of explosion when the weapon takes a hit, then Gauss Rifles also suck. :colbert:

Well, a PPC capacitor increases the damage by a flat amount and halves the amount of times you can fire it. That means it is a good trade for the IS standard and ER PPCs, because you fire 50% less for 50% more damage, so over 3 turns, you've done 30 damage either way (assuming you had a chance to charge your capacitors before battle was fully joined, whatevs). Either you fire it for 15 damage, wait, and then fire it again, or fire it three times for 10 damage. With a Clan ER PPC, though, you're sacrificing half your rate of fire for a 33% increase in damage. So over those three turns, you've fired for 20 damage, waited, and done another 20, rather than firing for 15, 15 and 15.

PPC capacitors also have the advantage of giving head-capping ability to an IS (ER) PPC, but Clantech ones already have that ability, so that's one less thing they do for you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, a PPC capacitor increases the damage by a flat amount and halves the amount of times you can fire it. That means it is a good trade for the IS standard and ER PPCs, because you fire 50% less for 50% more damage, so over 3 turns, you've done 30 damage either way (assuming you had a chance to charge your capacitors before battle was fully joined, whatevs). Either you fire it for 15 damage, wait, and then fire it again, or fire it three times for 10 damage. With a Clan ER PPC, though, you're sacrificing half your rate of fire for a 33% increase in damage. So over those three turns, you've fired for 20 damage, waited, and done another 20, rather than firing for 15, 15 and 15.

PPC capacitors also have the advantage of giving head-capping ability to an IS (ER) PPC, but Clantech ones already have that ability, so that's one less thing they do for you.
Exactly this. Emptyquotin' so drat hard.

Maths says 10 damage a turn is less than 15 damage a turn basically.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I like that the PPC Capacitors won't overshadow the original PPC in terms of use. I could see uses for both depending on equipment loadouts and heat scaling. The Capacitor offers more power per shot, but the PPC can be fired every round (heat notwithstanding). Depending on To-Hit and armor on the opponents either looks to be a viable option.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
2) Jade Falcon Guards

When Kai Allard-Liao pulled a cheap trick that somehow made him revered among the Clans, they were there.

When Aidan Pryde used cheat codes to kill half the ComGuard on Tukkayid, they were there.

When Star Commander Joanna used a jump jet to the face to kill Natasha Kerensky, they were there.

Falcon Guards: Because why shouldn't elite forces of the most conservative Clan be knee-deep in dezgra madness?

(Mostly I just wanna see if the Falcon Guard tendency for ignominious disaster holds true. Steer clear of canyons, dudes!)

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

1. 1st Kestrel Grenadiers

It's time we took back our galaxy.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
1st Kestral Grenadiers

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Davion loyalist that I am, I can only possibly vote for 1) Kestrel Grenadiers, but this isn't one of those times that I'm going to be heartbroken to lose. Any of the invasions sounds awesome, and with my turn in the cockpit crawling within sight, I might even get to participate in one of the later stages of it!

So as long as we get one of the invasions, I'll be a happy mechwarrior, though of course I'd be happiest with the Grenadiers.

House Davion Kurita-Davion forever!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
1) 1st Kestrel Grenadiers

Death to the clanners.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Casting a vote for The Kestral Grenadiers

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
3) Death Commandos because we still haven't seen what the Cappellans can do with their most elite unit in actual mechs. Forget those infants, crush all the 'mechwarriors you run into for Justin Xiangthe Chancellor!

Also, something to remember is that you are not required to charge your capacitors before you fire. If you keep getting excellent numbers to shoot on, you can just keep blasting lower power shots, and only charge up the Capacitor if your heat is riding high, or your target is going to be out of LoS or not likely to be hit. Basically, they're still really good for the Clans, because anything that can hit like an AC/20 is good.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Voting for 3) Death Commandos, because it's only proper that I continue my votes for the Capellans.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

3) Death Commandoes

Hahaha! I'm still bitter about you guys picking the wrong side for the hostage scenario...

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

3) Death Commandos

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
1) Kestrel Grenadiers! Let's throw those vatborn bastards back where they belong!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
1)

Goon vs. clan scenarios have been my favorites so far- why deviate?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
2) Jade Falcon Guards. It's not gonna win, though.

Everseen
Apr 27, 2010
3) Death Commandos

I want to see what technology the Syrtis have, and some successor state action will be fun.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Voting for 1) 1st Kestrel Grenadiers.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Voting for! Kestrel Grenadiers!

Because I think id rather play against the clans then with Death Commandos.

Affi fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 20, 2012

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Not that probably anyone cares anymore, but here is the published version of the Google Doc That Almost Killed The Thread, at least according to some people. (That is, the players' orders debate for the Caldera scenario)

Might be worth reading if you're bored waiting for the vote results and the next scenario being put up.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 20, 2012

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
1) Kestrels

Goons vs. PTN Clans is always interesting.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
1) Kestrels

It has been a while since a good IS-versus-clan throwdown.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

GenericServices posted:

2) Jade Falcon Guards

When Kai Allard-Liao pulled a cheap trick that somehow made him revered among the Clans, they were there.

When Aidan Pryde used cheat codes to kill half the ComGuard on Tukkayid, they were there.

When Star Commander Joanna used a jump jet to the face to kill Natasha Kerensky, they were there.

Falcon Guards: Because why shouldn't elite forces of the most conservative Clan be knee-deep in dezgra madness?

(Mostly I just wanna see if the Falcon Guard tendency for ignominious disaster holds true. Steer clear of canyons, dudes!)

This made me laugh so I'm voting for the 2) Jade Falcon Guards

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010
Time to play it from the other side.

3) Death Commandos

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

4, just to be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
1) Kestrels

• Locked thread