Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

which is just a...what do you call the opposite of romanization?...version of my name in Chinese.

Transliteration is the word you're looking for I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SB35 posted:

Transliteration is the word you're looking for I believe.
That would include romanization though. I think the term would be Sinification or Sinicization.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Don't you need to have a Chinese name to get an ARC and stuff? That's what my boss told me when I first got here, so I just had to pick something.

Actually, I share a name with one of the first whities who visited China, so my girlfriend at the time just copied his name, which is just a...what do you call the opposite of romanization?...version of my name in Chinese. Of course, since it dates back hundreds of years ago, it's kind of a lovely translation from English to Chinese, but whatever, it's a good conversation starter, mostly because people think it's a really weird name.
No, offices just prefer it because it's easier for them to deal with in their systems.

Choosing a name gets weird because it will slowly "become" your legal name even though it didn't start out that way and shouldn't really count as such. I'm supposed to have a Chinese family name from my grandfather that my dad only kind of remembers, but too late, I'm using the name my friends cleverly gave me still.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'll use my Chinese name wherever I'm dealing mostly in Chinese, but I still have a fondness for the first Chinese nickname I got given: 死鬼佬. Not really a name so much, although surprisingly 死 is actually a legitimate Chinese family name.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
haha tetsuo!

me and gf were talking just yesterday about the difference between laowei and guilo.

I was told to listen out for si laowei as an insult.

I'm assuming the two terms were synonyms - in your case obviously used affectionately.

I will also point out the deep deep sense of satisfaction I got playing mah jong with a few locals fairly soon after arriving here. One of them made a dumb rear end rookie mistake (played the fourth East tile immediately after deal - meaning a re-rack), and i couldn't help myself but call her si laowei.

I'm a man of simple pleasures.

url fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 20, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

I'll use my Chinese name wherever I'm dealing mostly in Chinese, but I still have a fondness for the first Chinese nickname I got given: 死鬼佬. Not really a name so much, although surprisingly 死 is actually a legitimate Chinese family name.

That is a heck of a name.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
What are the odds of me finding cheap lodging in the first half of August? Hostels? Does Taiwan have overnight saunas like in Korea?

Yazman
Mar 7, 2009
If I was thinking abut teaching english in Taiwan how much money do y'all recommend bringing for the first time you arrive, assuming you already have a job lined up?

Is it hard to get an english teaching job in Taiwan? Do they generally require TEFL/TESL or whatever? I've got my degree already, is that enough?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Weird. I dunno, all that stuff for me has both the English and the Chinese. Actually my bank account at the post office also has both. The only thing I can think of that has Chinese-only is my Health Insurance card.

But yeah come to think of it I guess when filling out the tax forms or something I never had to write down any Chinese name so I guess it makes sense that it's not required. No idea why my first boss told me it was.

My first job made up my Chinese name for me, and it's been on my ARC and Health ID since I came here.

It doesn't mean it's your official name, it's just a name you gave them for their systems. It's in no way official. I've had the same thing forever, and actually had to fill out specific forms to make it my official name when I was getting married.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Yazman posted:

If I was thinking abut teaching english in Taiwan how much money do y'all recommend bringing for the first time you arrive, assuming you already have a job lined up?

Is it hard to get an english teaching job in Taiwan? Do they generally require TEFL/TESL or whatever? I've got my degree already, is that enough?

The more cash you bring the better. You could survive on a couple hundred, but the closer you get to a thousand, the better.

You don't need a TEFL. Your degree is fine.

Yazman
Mar 7, 2009
So my degree is fine? Excellent! :D

What's the best way to find positions in Taiwan?

Also, unfortunately I am one of the aussies that chose to learn a different language than chinese. If I'm going to apply, would it be worth investing in some chinese language courses or just learning the basics?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Ravendas posted:

My first job made up my Chinese name for me, and it's been on my ARC and Health ID since I came here.

It doesn't mean it's your official name, it's just a name you gave them for their systems. It's in no way official. I've had the same thing forever, and actually had to fill out specific forms to make it my official name when I was getting married.

Ah, cool. That's good to know, I guess what I have isn't set in stone then, not that I think I would have anything to change it to.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ah, cool. That's good to know, I guess what I have isn't set in stone then, not that I think I would have anything to change it to.

We could run a name change thread. It'd be like a mod name change thing, just potentially more serious.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I was talking to a Taiwanese friend and he said usually Chinese names for foreigners are just "sinicizations" of our English names, which means my Chinese given name would be something like 機末 (ji1 mo4?) which sounds ugly as hell to me. Do you ever just, like, get a cool name given to you from a Chinese friend?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have two Chinese names. One is what the guys at the local bar call me because they can't pronounce my English name. The other is one my girlfriend came up with that could conceivably be an actual Chinese name and is based more on how my English name is constructed rather than on how it is pronounced. The idea being that if you read my name in a document, you wouldn't instantly know I was a foreigner and then pass judgement on me.

Yazman posted:

Chinese

If you are in Taipei, you don't really need to know Chinese. It won't hurt, obviously, but it won't affect your ability to be a trained monke... English teacher. If you are serious at all, though, go buy the Heisig writing books (Remembering Traditional Hanzi 1 and 2) and get to scribbling.

Yazman
Mar 7, 2009
Yeah, I just can't imagine living in a country without at least making an effort to learn a local language. I lived in the Philippines (visayas region) and made sure I learnt visayan when I was there, I can actually still speak it although I'm kinda rusty.

So yeah if I was in Taiwan obviously I would try to make an effort to learn it. Do they speak mandarin there? I heard they don't use simplified chinese either, is that true?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
^^Almost everyone speaks Mandarin. Older people usually know some Japanese. A majority of the population also speaks Taiwanese (Hokkien?) and if you learn a few Taiwanese phrases you'll get a lot of love

I've only lived here for a week and so far I feel like I've learned enough phrases to live a decent life in Taipei, even though I intend to learn the whole language. Pointing gets you far. Also there's like an informal sign language you can usually use to communicate with clerks and what not. Learning the Chinese number signs helps a lot.

Yazman
Mar 7, 2009
Can you get around without a car? Like is there decent public transport? Just curious since I'm not currently licensed to drive right now, would that be an obstacle in getting a position?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

I was talking to a Taiwanese friend and he said usually Chinese names for foreigners are just "sinicizations" of our English names, which means my Chinese given name would be something like 機末 (ji1 mo4?) which sounds ugly as hell to me. Do you ever just, like, get a cool name given to you from a Chinese friend?
That's really just the case for the expats that are too lazy to get a real name or who don't speak Chinese. It's basically Default Name. I know plenty of expats who get names from friends. My Chinese given name was originally - briefly - just the default for my English name, 傑夫, which I can't say I've ever seen used by an actual Chinese person. A friend in Hong Kong helped me change it up, partly because that name sucks and partly because the English-Chinese sound match doesn't work in Cantonese for that particular name, so ever since I've been 哲夫 (which I have seen used by a local. Once.)

Yazman posted:

So yeah if I was in Taiwan obviously I would try to make an effort to learn it. Do they speak mandarin there? I heard they don't use simplified chinese either, is that true?
Mandarin's basically the national lingua franca, although if you want to get hell of local you could learn Taiwanese Hokkien. If you want to get real local (and decide to live in Bumfuck, Eastern Taiwan), you could probably parlay your knowldge of Visayan into learning one of the East Formosan languages too, but there's not a whole lot of actual use for them. And yeah, it's Traditional Chinese for the most part.

e:

Yazman posted:

Can you get around without a car? Like is there decent public transport? Just curious since I'm not currently licensed to drive right now, would that be an obstacle in getting a position?
In Taipei? Piece of cake. Eight years here and I still don't even have a scooter license, never mind a driver's one. There's been a bunch of discussion in the past few pages if you want more detail though.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 20, 2012

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
You can get pretty much anywhere in Taipei & New Taipei via the Metro. You currently can't get to Keelung or Taoyuan (neighboring cities) by Metro, but it's undergoing expansion and should be done sooner than later (Taiwanese are very good at completing public works projects obscenely fast, I've learned). Taxis are cheap, buses are cheap.

Outside of Taipei, from what I've heard, having a scooter makes things much more convenient. There's always taxis and buses though, I guess, unless you live in the bumfuckiest of bumfuck east coast town. Drivers here are crazy, crazy, crazy folks, and I'm from Southern California, where crazy driving is pretty common even.

ETA: oh, and the Taipei Metro is one of the most impressive pieces of public transit I've ever seen. Incredibly clean, efficient, cheap and quiet. Don't eat/drink/chew gum on them though, or you WILL get a big fine.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 20, 2012

Yazman
Mar 7, 2009
I feel pretty confident now, thanks a lot guys :) I guess I just need to save up some more money and then find somewhere to apply to.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, it's Traditional writing here, which is why I recommended the Traditional books. I've finished memorizing the 3035 in them and have started to come across more characters I don't know, but the book did a good enough job of familiarizing me with the radicals that I can copy them down and look them up later.

Now I'm trying to add a Chinese sound to every character. It's... slow.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Were you able to get the Heisig books in Taiwan? Maybe at an Eslite bookstore? Being a dumb, illiterate foreigner sucks.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I ordered them off Amazon. It was like $10 shipping.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

You can also get them on Books.com.tw, and they'll deliver to a neighboring 7-Eleven for you to pick them up and pay. Of course, since the whole site's in Chinese that might be putting the cart slightly before the horse.

e: Crap, looks like that book's out of stock anyway.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I bought the first volume from Amazon after the first time Haraksha suggested it in this thread, and I'm really enjoying it so far, even though I'm only about halfway through. I studied Japanese for 4 years and somehow had never heard of the original Kanji version, but man... if nothing else, those books really just give you an awesome system for breaking down characters. Even though there are still a lot of elements/radicals I don't really know, when I look at a really complicated character it doesn't really look like just a jumbled mess, I can see all the little bits and pieces. As a plus, stroke order also makes a lot more sense.

Is there any suggested way to start learning the pronunciations of each one? I'm thinking of finishing the book first and then going back and creating a new deck of flashcards with the pinyin on one side and the character on the other, and working through it again. It's kind of frustrating to know the meaning of a character but not necessarily be able to say it, especially if you want to point something out to someone. I've had it come up a few times already.

Anyway the point is, A+++ totally recommend Remembering the Traditional Hanzi and thanks to Haraksha for the suggestion in the first place.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

You can get pretty much anywhere in Taipei & New Taipei via the Metro. You currently can't get to Keelung or Taoyuan (neighboring cities) by Metro, but it's undergoing expansion and should be done sooner than later (Taiwanese are very good at completing public works projects obscenely fast, I've learned). Taxis are cheap, buses are cheap.
Protip: if you have a smartphone with data, google maps is pretty loving awesome for figuring out how to use buses, because good luck otherwise; they sell books to help figure out bus schedules and routes. MRT is awesome.

Scooters aren't bad if you need to go that option, and they look scarier than they really are(it's not scary when you're actually riding them and see traffic at speed). That said, you need to drive defensively.

quadrophrenic posted:

ETA: oh, and the Taipei Metro is one of the most impressive pieces of public transit I've ever seen. Incredibly clean, efficient, cheap and quiet. Don't eat/drink/chew gum on them though, or you WILL get a big fine.
Or get YouTube shamed.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

quadrophrenic posted:

Don't be a dumb foreigner and break those rules. I've never seen a Taiwanese person, in 6 years here, break it. Let's keep the awesome MRT the way it is.

Though I often want to yell 現下後上!!!(First off, then on!) as some grandma or kids of bad parents tries to bustle their way onto the train.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ravendas posted:

Don't be a dumb foreigner and break those rules. I've never seen a Taiwanese person, in 6 years here, break it. Let's keep the awesome MRT the way it is.
Here, let me help you with that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkLB1tARr0
There was a moderate kerfuffle about this on the Internet a couple of months back. It happens occasionally. I've seen people eating 雞排 too. But yeah, it's not so bad.

As for the 先下後上 thing, I usually just drop the shoulder and go for it. gently caress 'em. They know better, they just think no-one's going to call them on it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I bought the first volume from Amazon after the first time Haraksha suggested it in this thread, and I'm really enjoying it so far, even though I'm only about halfway through. I studied Japanese for 4 years and somehow had never heard of the original Kanji version, but man... if nothing else, those books really just give you an awesome system for breaking down characters. Even though there are still a lot of elements/radicals I don't really know, when I look at a really complicated character it doesn't really look like just a jumbled mess, I can see all the little bits and pieces. As a plus, stroke order also makes a lot more sense.

Exactly this. After going through the 3035 characters in the books that matter, I still run into things I can't read. However, because I'm so familiar with the radicals, I can jot down what I see and look it up later (Pleco with stroke input on my tablet is a magic thing).

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Pleco is pretty cool. I just downloaded the add-on that will read Chinese for you. Because it's the demo it'll only do one character at a time, and it just gives the pronunciation, but honestly my spoken Chinese is getting to the point where that's good enough for me, I just can't read the poo poo.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Speaking of Chinese names for foreigners, would 麦湃河 work officially as a Chinese name? It's the name I used for my Chinese language classes during college and would prefer to keep the continuity. :)

[EDIT]: vvv Haha, that's awesome. Go Taiwan!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 21, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't see why not. But then again, you can pretty much get away with anything - a friend of mine worked with a guy who called himself 發克育.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't see why not. But then again, you can pretty much get away with anything - a friend of mine worked with a guy who called himself 發克育.

hhaha

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

TetsuoTW posted:

Ha ha. No one ever called him on that? I'm sure Taiwanese people must know that phrase. Even my middle school students in Japan all knew it, probably from movies and TV.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I think everyone knew almost immediately he was taking the piss. I mean, in all honesty, unless you've got a difficult name to pronounce, there's not a hell of a lot of call for even having a Chinese name unless you want to. It's definitely a considerate thing to do, but not really necessary.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I had to get one for school, and they just gave me one that sounded close to my name. I generally think that is the most common way to do things. I have to agree though I think it is a good thing to have one. If it makes things easier for Taiwanese people, and doesn't matter for you then just do it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

And just in case anyone decides to get on my rear end about it, I think the same thing about Taiwanese people taking English names.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

That's really just the case for the expats that are too lazy to get a real name or who don't speak Chinese. It's basically Default Name. I know plenty of expats who get names from friends. My Chinese given name was originally - briefly - just the default for my English name, 傑夫, which I can't say I've ever seen used by an actual Chinese person. A friend in Hong Kong helped me change it up, partly because that name sucks and partly because the English-Chinese sound match doesn't work in Cantonese for that particular name, so ever since I've been 哲夫 (which I have seen used by a local. Once.)

I still use the name 利瑪竇 gave the dude in the Bible whose name I share. Too many people knew me by that name before I became self conscious of it, and I just lazied it up and stuck with it. It is slightly better than most Sinifications, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
annual: "English test scores show inadequacy of teaching" article.

Personally, i'd say the level of English I've experienced has been stellar.

Considering the flip side of the coin as in how much Chinese is spoken in the US & EU.

Admittedly, there hasn't been a great call for it the past 20 odd years, but the need for it was obvious since the mid-late 80's imo.