Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
1) Kestral Grenadiers, cause gently caress the clans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
A vote for Mackie is a vote for dick lasers.

I think we all know what way to vote now.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 21, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
1 - Death to furries clanners.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Unless I've hosed up the tally, results are looking strong for the Kestrel Grenadiers with 31, the Falcon Guard and Death Commandos are closely matched with 18 and 20 respectively, and the 6th Syrtis Fusiliers are languishing in the background with 2.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Hey PTN, if Liao doesn't get picked eventually, will there be a special scenario where goons play them eventually, like the Defense of Luthien? I think too many people have gotten the wrong idea about Liao from the Cabelleros scenario and I just want to see my Space China/Russia bros in action.
:ussr::respek::china:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
1) The Kestral Grenadiers.

gently caress the clans. May the success of this campaign solidfy the Houses Davion and Kurita (So Marik can eventually roll them and the rest of the IS with an unstoppable doom army. The final No You Shut Up!).

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

Unless I've hosed up the tally, results are looking strong for the Kestrel Grenadiers with 31, the Falcon Guard and Death Commandos are closely matched with 18 and 20 respectively, and the 6th Syrtis Fusiliers are languishing in the background with 2.

Well, in that case one vote for the Death Commandos. We need some :moreevil: in this thread. We have two of the best backhanded units on the list and I will not have you mess up this opportunity.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

1. GO DRAC SUNS

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Plek posted:

cHPPCs? :ohdear:

Yes, actually.
code:
Name             Type Heat Damage  Range   Ammo Tonnage Crits Specials
Clan Heavy PPC    DE   20    20   2/4/8/12  --    8.0     3       - 
Stats subject to change. Why yes, it is a 20 heat direct energy LB-20X/AC with only slug ammo and a minimum range penalty and a deathblow to both the Clan range advantage and heat efficiency.

Leperflesh posted:

I don't like the death commandos thing. "LOL we're hitlers let's stomp some orphans" isn't actually that funny. Especially if we have to endure it for multiple linked scenarios.

Please don't mistake a running gag for the actual Death Commandos. They're very likely the most elite unit in the Inner Sphere at the moment. That they are utterly ruthless doesn't mean they go out of the way to slaughter bystanders.

Gimmick Account posted:

Two questions for PoptartsNinja:

What happens if the first mission of a campaign is a major failure? Is the whole operation aborted immediately, or does it still continue somehow?

Depends on the mission. The Jade Falcons can call in forces equal to their opponent's last bid if they fail hard, so the campaign can continue. The Death Commandos are great at making do with very little. Only the 1st Kestrel is likely to withdraw immediately if they get their asses handed to them by the Hell's Horses. Since the Goons love picking the absolute most difficult possible missions, I really shouldn't be surprised that the 1st Kestrel is winning.

Gimmick Account posted:

What if the results in a later mission are inconclusive or unexpected? Would you be willing to extend a campaign beyond the initially allotted amount of missions if it was the most sensible thing, story-wise?

Potentially, it'd really depend whether or not people are growing bored with the campaign; but win or lose nobody likes an indecisive finale.

Ferrosol posted:

Also SIGN ME UP TO BE A MECHWARRIOR GODDAMMIT ahem! this about my 4th attempt to sign up so I thought I would make it clearer.

Oh, poo poo. You're on my master list but you never got added to the front page. I'll fix that.

The Gate posted:

Hey PTN, if Liao doesn't get picked eventually, will there be a special scenario where goons play them eventually, like the Defense of Luthien? I think too many people have gotten the wrong idea about Liao from the Cabelleros scenario and I just want to see my Space China/Russia bros in action.
:ussr::respek::china:

I'm trying not to gently caress them over even if they never get chosen, but I have to admit I am tempted to have an "All Capellan" combat theater vote soon; I'd just hate limiting choice that much. To me, it's akin to telling everyone: "Play the Death Commandos, you really don't have any better options" and that's not fun at all.

I want people to pick the mission they think will be most fun. Like jumping around in 5/8/7 partial wing Cougars in a 5v12 fight, learning why the Hell's Horses are known for their tanks, or showing off how terrifying a group of 0/1 pilots can be. Those are all pretty hefty 'campaign notes' spoilers, but I don't feel they give too much away.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm trying not to gently caress them over even if they never get chosen, but I have to admit I am tempted to have an "All Capellan" combat theater vote soon; I'd just hate limiting choice that much. To me, it's akin to telling everyone: "Play the Death Commandos, you really don't have any better options" and that's not fun at all.

Some people are voting against them out of spite anyway. As much as I've been rooting for a Death Commandos mission since the very start of the thread, having to take away all the options (while a very Cappellan thing to do) would really just do more harm to the thread than any good. Better to upset the smaller group than the majority, even if it is more often.

I'll still give the rest of you poo poo about being too scared to play the "bad" guys for a mission, though. Enjoy your stand-in Davions, ladies.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I'll still give the rest of you poo poo about being too scared to play the "bad" guys for a mission, though. Enjoy your stand-in Davions, ladies.

It's not like the Davion Heavy Guards are any better. Pretty much every House Regiment has been ordered to flamethrower civilians at some point or other. It's why Mercenaries hate taking 'riot duty' contracts since the pay is low and chances are pretty good they're going to have to light a few hundred protesters on fire.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, Cougars have Laser Heat Sinks so they're absolutely fabulous!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 21, 2012

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly, I was torn between the Capellans and the DracSuns right up until the posting. We really haven't run any Capellan scenarios and that's actually a very blatant hole in the Goonlance experience at the moment.

Ironic, considering what's going on with Goons elsewhere BT-related.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not like the Davion Heavy Guards are any better. Pretty much every House Regiment has been ordered to flamethrower civilians at some point or other. It's why Mercenaries hate taking 'riot duty' contracts since the pay is low and chances are pretty good they're going to have to light a few hundred protesters on fire.

No, but they've got better PR. The Davions are all enlightened superior people coming to save the poor savages in Space Japan and Space China, and beat up the evil Space Germans and the mongols.

In the PTN-verse, the Death Commandos still represent the evil crazy Chinese people and they're up against a band of noble resistance fighters dropping behind enemy lines to take the fight to the Clans. It's pretty much straight up a vote for Victor Steiner-Davion, except he's wearing sunglasses and a fake moustache and people would rather have that than consider that the Death Commandos might do more than be designated villains.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And yet, people still willingly play Nazis in World War II-era games.

Anyway, derail over, back to voting! Things are still close so I'm going to give this one plenty of time.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

You know what? Lets get Death Commandos all up in the Clan's rear. :black101:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I want people to pick the mission they think will be most fun. Like jumping around in 5/8/7 partial wing Cougars in a 5v12 fight, learning why the Hell's Horses are known for their tanks, or showing off how terrifying a group of 0/1 pilots can be. Those are all pretty hefty 'campaign notes' spoilers, but I don't feel they give too much away.

No promises of Clantech will ever sway my convictions!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, Cougars have Laser Heat Sinks so they're absolutely fabulous!
:stare:

...I may have to change my vote. :pcgaming:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zaodai posted:

It's pretty much straight up a vote for Victor Steiner-Davion, except he's wearing sunglasses and a fake moustache and people would rather have that than consider that the Death Commandos might do more than be designated villains.

Or, as all the "gently caress the Clans" tags would seem to indicate, a lot of goons would rather fight against the Clans than for Liao. It's not all a Davion lovefest out here, you know.

I mean, yes, my own vote is because I like Davion and have always liked Davion since I first read the history of the Suns in the House Davion black book under a tree at a company picnic that my parents dragged us to when I was 15.

But that's just me. A lot of the rest of the votes are about wanting to fight against the Clans way more than it is love for the Sword and Sunburst.

Wales Grey posted:

Alas, there are no tapbacks on a PTN thread. Once you've voted, you've voted. That's why it always pays to wait a few hours or even a day before casting your vote so you can get a feel for the arguments.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

Shame you can't!

No, really, it's a thread rule.

But go on and vote for Death Commandos or even Falcon Guards if you like, gentlemen. Honestly, any mini-campaign's a good one in my book.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
2) Jade Falcon Guards

Death to the clans! (somehow, I have confidence in us!)

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
With regards to the proposed cHPPC, maybe give it the ATM's standard ammo brackets (4/5/10/15) and up the crit slots to 4, maybe even 5? Just an idea, adjustments are still likely needed.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I'm going to have to throw my support to 1) Kestrels. Any fight against the clan is a good one, and if we fail spectacularly enough, we may get the thread's dream scenario of Liao v Clans in a brawl to the death over Terra.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
It is true that we haven't played the Capellans, but at the same time we haven't touched an AFFS unit either. We did play as the Kell Hounds in one mission, but they are just mercenaries. Lets give the Davions a chance!

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007
Okay, I'm convinced. Voting 3: Death Commandos.

I don't really care for Liao, but we really haven't seen the Capellan perspective yet, and I want to see what PTN does with them. This is a hard call, though--Jade Falcons and 1st Kestrel both sound like a blast.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I'll have to go with the 2) Jade Falcon Guards entirely because of Flying Laser Light Show Cougar.

All of the scenarios seem like they'd be fun, so whatever wins is fine with me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, actually.
code:
Name             Type Heat Damage  Range   Ammo Tonnage Crits Specials
Clan Heavy PPC    DE   20    20   2/4/8/12  --    8.0     3       - 
Stats subject to change. Why yes, it is a 20 heat direct energy LB-20X/AC with only slug ammo and a minimum range penalty and a deathblow to both the Clan range advantage and heat efficiency.
Dear god... why?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Depends on the mission. The Jade Falcons can call in forces equal to their opponent's last bid if they fail hard, so the campaign can continue.
IIRC it's actually their own bid prior to the winning one. Specifically if Star Colonel Jim and Star Colonel Bob of Derp Galaxy are bidding and it goes:

Dumb clanners posted:

Jim: 1 Trinary.
Bob: 2 Nova Stars.
Jim: 1 Nova Star and an aerospace Point.
Bob: well bargained and done

then if Jim finds himself upto his neck in poo poo he can call in the rest of that Trinary to bail his rear end out.

The trick to bidding is actually bidding UP when you appear to bid down. It's an interesting thing to RP, which my group did once in the waaaaay back when.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I totally want one now. It's just a pity I can't find the bit from Macross 7 with the Queadluun-Rau that fires actual lasers when the pilot plays her guitar.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

Dear god... why?

Because I can't shorten the range of the ER PPC since it's canon. I'm still working on tweaks to keep it from being game-breaking.

quote:

IIRC it's actually their own bid prior to the winning one. Specifically if Star Colonel Jim and Star Colonel Bob of Derp Galaxy are bidding and it goes:

No, it's not. They can call in forces equivalent to their opponent's last bid with no loss of honor, or equal to the initial bid with a huge loss of honor and concessions (typically, all bondsman and spoils) to the person who forced them to underbid so badly.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

1) 1st Kestrel Grenadiers

Echoing and voting this before scrolling down to determine whether or not its worthless.

edit: hooray

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 21, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

It is true that we haven't played the Capellans, but at the same time we haven't touched an AFFS unit either. We did play as the Kell Hounds in one mission, but they are just mercenaries. Lets give the Davions a chance!

Well, yeah, but that's because any time we might want to play Davion we can just play as Marik instead, who are more interesting versions of House Davion.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Death Commandos

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
Death Commandos Liao needs some love, though if this fails maybe we'll get some sweet, sweet, warrior house action.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
1)Kestral Grenadiers

Let's smoke some horses.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I actually thought the D description sounded the most interesting, but since it's so far behind, I vote for Death Commandos for some Liao love.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Let's see some Death Commando action.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Even if the Kestrels may have the hardest mission, I have undying faith in Goonlance.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I vote No. 1. I'm envisioning something like the plot of Mechwarrior 3 here; but I'm pleased with the odds that it'll be enjoyable no matter what, since PTN's stuff is so consistently good. Mechwarrior 3 is probably my favourite game in the series and was my introduction to the Battletech universe, so few things say "Battletech" to me like the Inner Sphere fighting the Clans.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Falcon Guards

With the weight saved in weapon/ammo tonnage and using dhs, I think the cHPPC comes out pretty even with the cLB-20x. It's 4 tons lighter and 14 points hotter, if you were using 3 tons of ammo that's even heat. Plus it's much smaller.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I see I'm still in time for this, so Death Commandos let's DO THIS.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
I'm voting for the Death Commandos because gently caress Davions.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
Voting 3) Death Commandos, as the cappies get way too little love.

Edit: Death Commandos was 3, not 2. Should try to wake up before posting.

Woozey fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.
^^^^ It's 3 for DC

3 - Death Commandos I have a soft spot for Liaos.

• Locked thread