Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Web Jew.0 posted:

Yeah but there's a p huge difference between the G2X/Vision and SGS3 in terms of popularity and specs (in comparison with same-gen phones). Also the SGS and SGS2 were/are both really well-supported.

Not really. Look at the G2x's release date compared to what was out at the time. It was a power house, first dual core phone. Plus all of the "community" rushing to get behind it....oh wait, it's a piece of poo poo after the fact. SORRY EVERYONE WHO BOUGHT IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Web Jew.0 posted:

Yeah but there's a p huge difference between the G2X/Vision and SGS3 in terms of popularity and specs (in comparison with same-gen phones). Also the SGS and SGS2 were/are both really well-supported.

It should be noted that this great support meant that the SGS2 got an official ICS update 7 months after ICS first came out. 8 months for a CM9 RC.

E: Yes, ICS was a big overhaul of Android but the point still remains that the SGS2 only caught up with the Nexus phones roughly around the same time the SGS3 came out.

Eej fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 21, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eej posted:

It should be noted that this great support meant that the SGS2 got an official ICS update 7 months after ICS first came out. 8 months for a CM9 RC.

E: Yes, ICS was a big overhaul of Android but the point still remains that the SGS2 only caught up with the Nexus phones roughly around the same time the SGS3 came out.
This is a great point to anyone who still thinks "Oh I don't need a Nexus, the aftermarket community will support me!" :smug:

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Not really. Look at the G2x's release date compared to what was out at the time. It was a power house, first dual core phone. Plus all of the "community" rushing to get behind it....oh wait, it's a piece of poo poo after the fact. SORRY EVERYONE WHO BOUGHT IT.

I meant same gen as in the G2X being contemporary with the Sensation/S2 (first half of 2011, dualcore) a la S3/OneX/LG4X (first half 2012, quadcore). Even compared with the Nexus S or Desire HD though, Tegra 2 was the only thing G2X brought to the table, and I'm shakey on how much of a performance bump you get with that vs Exynos / 2nd gen Snapdragon.

Eej posted:

It should be noted that this great support meant that the SGS2 got an official ICS update 7 months after ICS first came out. 8 months for a CM9 RC..

Besides the Nexi and that Chinese phone did anything get ICS less than 7 months after it came out though? If S2 got there fourth out of hundreds of phones, that is relatively great.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

LastInLine posted:

This is a great point to anyone who still thinks "Oh I don't need a Nexus, the aftermarket community will support me!" :smug:

On Sprint anyway, it's starting to feel like it doesn't matter. Hell, look at the Nexus S getting Jellybean on all carriers besides Sprint now... I understand the reason behind it, but it still sucks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

On Sprint anyway, it's starting to feel like it doesn't matter. Hell, look at the Nexus S getting Jellybean on all carriers besides Sprint now... I understand the reason behind it, but it still sucks.
Yeah well with CDMA you're halfway to hosed already. I don't think the Korean version of the Nexus S got the update either.

At least with a Nexus you get ports from the GSM version quickly.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Am I correct in assuming that later versions of Android are more and more hardware intensive?

I'm asking because I snagged an old Optimus T with the stock 2.2 on it. I want to upgrade the software but its hardware isn't exactly stellar. Should I just stick with something older like CM7 or would Jelly Bean actually run faster on it because its more "buttery"?

*More than likely I'll never add phone service to it, just use it for WiFi and music.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
FYI, in case anyone else ends up with a busted usb on their Galaxy Nexus, it is totally possible to unroot, reflash stock, and relock the bootloader from the phone itself, without adb, fastboot, or PC connection. I followed this guide and it worked beautifully. I got a little panicked when I couldn't use Odin or fastboot to revert everything to stock, but using Mobile Odin and a BootUnlocker app specifically for the Galaxy Nexus, all was saved!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey guys, my sister got a new phone and gave me her old Motorola Cliq XT. Its running Android 1.5 so I figured I'd get it up to speed first and foremost, but after looking through some of the links it looks like Motorola never released an updated Android version, and there seems to be no ROM's available for the phone. Is there a point in rooting it or a way to get a newer version of Android on this thing?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=stable&device=zeppelin

CM 7.2 exists for the Cliq XT from 2 seconds of Googling. That said, it's super lovely old as hell hardware and probably will suck no matter what you do to it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh that's even better than getting dicked over by Sprint on the OTA, Bugless Beast is only for ICS on the Sprint GNex. No JB.

How much can one go for on eBay?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Question about the SGS2 Skyrocket... Is there a decent, pretty ROM with support out there other than MIUI? As far as I see, MIUI is based on gingerbread, and I was hoping for an attractive ROM based on ICS. I'm pretty new to android, so if I'm incorrect or anyone has any alternative suggestions (CM9 RC doesn't seem to boot AT ALL).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

spouse posted:

Question about the SGS2 Skyrocket... Is there a decent, pretty ROM with support out there other than MIUI? As far as I see, MIUI is based on gingerbread, and I was hoping for an attractive ROM based on ICS. I'm pretty new to android, so if I'm incorrect or anyone has any alternative suggestions (CM9 RC doesn't seem to boot AT ALL).

http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#skyrocket/cm9/next

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

...But if the stable release doesn't even boot... would the nightly work? Oh well, guess there's only one way to find out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Yeah well with CDMA you're halfway to hosed already. I don't think the Korean version of the Nexus S got the update either.

At least with a Nexus you get ports from the GSM version quickly.

The ports they've wrangled together on XDA look like pure poo poo. It could be the posts, but I have reservations about XDA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbu0PVOUT3o

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

The ports they've wrangled together on XDA look like pure poo poo. It could be the posts, but I have reservations about XDA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbu0PVOUT3o
I honestly think a lot of it is that older devices get less support from talented developers when they need it most- near the end of their lives. Think about it: a developer who knows his poo poo buys the latest and greatest and does his thing for a while, but given that he's into this poo poo he'll upgrade when the next thing he wants catches his eye. So everyone who knew what they were doing on the Nexus S has probably moved on meaning the only people left are the copypasters.

There will always be exceptions but for the most part even the most vibrant aftermarket communities have this attrition when they really need the talent the most. Look at the Vision/G2 which had a ton of developer attention for the first year or so but is now largely abandoned. While I'd expect the Nexus S to be better supported, you've got the problem where you're not dealing with the Nexus S, you're dealing with a specific variant of the Nexus S that was only released on the third-biggest carrier in one country. There simply can't be that many people with an interest in making it work.

That's why I say you're halfway to hosed already on CDMA; most of the world doesn't use it and don't care whether you get any aftermarket support. For the most part no one except people in the US will even be working on it. Being Sprint-only you've already limited yourself to the developers who are on Sprint, who know what they're doing, who have your specific model of phone, and actually want to take the time to do the thing you want. How big could that number possibly be?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I honestly think a lot of it is that older devices get less support from talented developers when they need it most- near the end of their lives. Think about it: a developer who knows his poo poo buys the latest and greatest and does his thing for a while, but given that he's into this poo poo he'll upgrade when the next thing he wants catches his eye. So everyone who knew what they were doing on the Nexus S has probably moved on meaning the only people left are the copypasters.

There will always be exceptions but for the most part even the most vibrant aftermarket communities have this attrition when they really need the talent the most. Look at the Vision/G2 which had a ton of developer attention for the first year or so but is now largely abandoned. While I'd expect the Nexus S to be better supported, you've got the problem where you're not dealing with the Nexus S, you're dealing with a specific variant of the Nexus S that was only released on the third-biggest carrier in one country. There simply can't be that many people with an interest in making it work.

That's why I say you're halfway to hosed already on CDMA; most of the world doesn't use it and don't care whether you get any aftermarket support. For the most part no one except people in the US will even be working on it. Being Sprint-only you've already limited yourself to the developers who are on Sprint, who know what they're doing, who have your specific model of phone, and actually want to take the time to do the thing you want. How big could that number possibly be?

Would you say the same would go for the Galaxy Nexus? That's the phone I have, it's still Sprint, but it isn't facing the "old phone, drop it" routine the NS is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

Would you say the same would go for the Galaxy Nexus? That's the phone I have, it's still Sprint, but it isn't facing the "old phone, drop it" routine the NS is.
Since you quoted me talking about the Nexus S I assumed you meant you had one.

The LTE Galaxy Nexus is in a better situation for now as it's 1) the current developer device, albeit CDMA and 2) also on Verizon. That being said I'm not the guy to ask what the differences between Toro and Toroplus are although I would assume there weren't many and what's available for Toro is what's available on Toroplus for the most part. I'm sorry but I just don't know enough about that particular scene to be the guy to ask.

I don't understand why Verizon/Sprint Galaxy Nexus owners are complaining about Jelly Bean for their devices already; Google explicitly stated that they would be rolling out the update to GSM devices throughout July and other devices later which I'd assume they'd take it to mean August is when the clock starts for their wait. Devices on CDMA networks will always have to wait for carrier testing, that's just the way it is.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

spouse posted:

Yes. In fact there was some discussion on this device one Page back in the thread. The rc2 for cm9 works very well in my experience (posting from my phone running it) .

http://www.teamchopsticks.org/2012/07/beta-1-it-out.html?m=1

If you are having issues with cwm, the latest official version for the skyrocket is buggy as hell. 5.5.0.4 seems to work well.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

oxsnard posted:

Yes. In fact there was some discussion on this device one Page back in the thread. The rc2 for cm9 works very well in my experience (posting from my phone running it) .

http://www.teamchopsticks.org/2012/07/beta-1-it-out.html?m=1

If you are having issues with cwm, the latest official version for the skyrocket is buggy as hell. 5.5.0.4 seems to work well.

Through this, I found the bootloop fix. Thanks so much!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anyone running Jellybean (running Bugless Beast personally) and noticing Maps being unusually active? I seem to be seeing a lot of wake locks from that app even though I haven't used it in the past day or two. Can't figure out if it's JB itself, the ROM, an update to Maps, or my phone that's causing the issue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Since you quoted me talking about the Nexus S I assumed you meant you had one.

The LTE Galaxy Nexus is in a better situation for now as it's 1) the current developer device, albeit CDMA and 2) also on Verizon. That being said I'm not the guy to ask what the differences between Toro and Toroplus are although I would assume there weren't many and what's available for Toro is what's available on Toroplus for the most part. I'm sorry but I just don't know enough about that particular scene to be the guy to ask.

I don't understand why Verizon/Sprint Galaxy Nexus owners are complaining about Jelly Bean for their devices already; Google explicitly stated that they would be rolling out the update to GSM devices throughout July and other devices later which I'd assume they'd take it to mean August is when the clock starts for their wait. Devices on CDMA networks will always have to wait for carrier testing, that's just the way it is.

That's all right, I just had expectations of my phone that didn't match up with reality. I was under more of an impression that despite being CDMA the various special proprietary bits and pieces would be available to Google as part of an agreement to carry the Nexus instead of at the mercy of the carriers and whoever else was at the wheel. It seems that isn't the case and despite Verizon playing more closely to Google than Sprint is, the basic bits of OS functionality are still able to be brought over albeit slapped onto the ICS proprietary bits.

I am a bit miffed that CM10 isn't available for toroplus yet even as nightly builds, but I'm sort of stuck. Verizon has the same problems and ATT is a steaming bowl of bloody poo poo. T-Mobile would be my carrier of choice but their service here is basically nil. I would hit up XDA but nothing there looks all that stable or reliable. I want a straight stock ROM, no special boot animation, no voltage fuckery, etc. XDA doesn't seem to have that yet, so here I sit. It's probably for the best that I wait for the OTA since I actually use Wallet with the NFC.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Super Waffle posted:

Hey guys, my sister got a new phone and gave me her old Motorola Cliq XT. Its running Android 1.5 so I figured I'd get it up to speed first and foremost, but after looking through some of the links it looks like Motorola never released an updated Android version, and there seems to be no ROM's available for the phone. Is there a point in rooting it or a way to get a newer version of Android on this thing?

You can put Cyanogenmod 7 on the Cliq XT, which will at least update it to Gingerbread.

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=stable&device=zeppelin

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Motorola_Cliq_XT:_Full_Update_Guide

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Drifter287 posted:

Anyone running Jellybean (running Bugless Beast personally) and noticing Maps being unusually active? I seem to be seeing a lot of wake locks from that app even though I haven't used it in the past day or two. Can't figure out if it's JB itself, the ROM, an update to Maps, or my phone that's causing the issue.

Mine is active as well. My battery life is still decent (as in better than the evo3d I just upgraded from) but I have no idea what the maps process is doing. I've force closed it and it reopens so I'm guessing it's got something to do with the GPS?

Edit* Realized I never specified: stock Gnex

a dingus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 22, 2012

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Verizon version of pre-release JB had that problem too and it was caused by maps trying to get a GPS lock on you and failing. The fix was to Force Close Maps, download Faster GPS, turn on GPS tweak, going back to Maps and forcing a find location. It should work after that if you have the same problem.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Try disabling the traffic/weather cards in Google Now, that might be causing the problem too.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Thanks for the links, I was making good progress until I got to step 3 of the Clockwork Recovery mod method down there at the bottom. For some reason the phone wasn't booting into Clockwork mod, but instead the default Motorola boot menu? I didn't realize it until I had already reset the phone to factory default (Step 5), and by then the boot agent wouldn't load Cyanogen mod. Now my ADB won't recognize the device when I plug it in. Is Clockwork Recovery still installed on the phone or did I wipe it? How can I start over if ADB won't recognize it?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I honestly think a lot of it is that older devices get less support from talented developers when they need it most- near the end of their lives.
It depends. Talented developers are regular people too. This often means being bound to two-year upgrade cycles and holding onto an older device if newer options are a few months off or aren't immediately promising. So, to the extent that an older device can be maintained without much difficulty, it's likely to have as much support as there is general interest in the device (assuming it had much to begin with).

LastInLine posted:

Being Sprint-only you've already limited yourself to the developers who are on Sprint, who know what they're doing, who have your specific model of phone, ... How big could that number possibly be?
Right now, Sprint Samsung developers are surprisingly over-represented in CM. For example, the Epic 4G has six official CM9 maintainers, every other device only has 1-3.

Now, some of them have "moved on" with the release of E4GT ICS kernel sources and the SGS3. There's at least four folks working on the Sprint SGS3 CM port, and about an equal number (total) working on the AT&T, T-Mo, and Verizon SGS3 variants.

There's actually less interest in Nexus devices in the Sprint development world for the same reason they're not necessarily the best options in general. Both the Nexus S 4G and Sprint Galaxy Nexus were released quite late (six months or so) after their GSM counterparts, and Google is wishy-washy on whether they're AOSP supported devices or not. Given the hardware advantages of the SGS3, and the fact that the development community doesn't need to depend on "the development community" for support, it makes sense for them to focus their efforts on what, to them, is a more interesting device.

Which brings me to this:

LastInLine posted:

xda circle jerks aside, the development community (particularly CM) doesn't exist to support users. It exists so that folks can collaborate on the devices they own. In other words, CM is an awesome project if you're a developer. It might also be an awesome project even if you're not, but the reasons that folks pick certain devices and abandon others are varied enough that it's really hard to predict, and trends in the aftermarket community are really only valid for a half-a-year to a year at most.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
And as for CM10 on Sprint Galaxy Nexus, there's been a whopping one commit for toroplus on Jellybean (http://r.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/19089/). I've not been able to build and get it to boot, myself (drat you libEGL!), but comments in other commits that refer to "tested working on toroplus" seems to show that it's working for someone who doesn't pull nightlies off XDA. Sure, this isn't direct source from Samsung for jellybean, but JB is largely an incremental update from ICS anyway in terms of the framework/radio stuff (compared to GB->ICS)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If I'm giving a phone to a friend, is there a way to keep all the downloaded apps on the phone, but just delete all the settings and personal stuff?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

If I'm giving a phone to a friend, is there a way to keep all the downloaded apps on the phone, but just delete all the settings and personal stuff?
Not really as the apps are tied to your Play Store account. I mean, it could be done but when he went to download apps he'd have to manage apps he downloaded separately.

He can get his own apps, just reset it to stock and format the SD/internal storage.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I'm searching for an easy way to unlock and root my Transformer Prime with the latest update (.28). Are there any one-click methods out there? As far as I can tell ViperBoy still doesn't have a working tool so I may just have to wait.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I'm late to the rooting party, but I successfully rooted and i'm backing up my data using titanium backp right now.

I'm running into issues with the ClockworkMod ROM Manager app though. I can't get the "free version" of the app because the free version doesn't show up on the old (2.1) android market. I bought the premium version only to find out its just a license key.

I tried finding the ROM Manager APK and installing it from the SD card on my phone, and that didn't work, getting a "Parse Error - There is a problem parsing the package."

Is there an alternate program that works as the ROM manager does, or some other way of installing a program that only shows up for Android 2.2?

I have a Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959 with the default 2.1 eclair installed. I'm hoping to upgrade to ICS. Any help would be appreciated.

mushi fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 23, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If you're feeling balsy, backup then upgrade that Vibrant to the Jellybean V5 build.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1775525

I'm using it and it's seriously hot poo poo. It makes the Vibrant run perceptibly as fast as a stock SGSII on ICS. It busts out Google Now searches quickly too.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I'm not married to ICS or anything, just trying to get the most out of it. Is there a significant performance hit going from Jelly Bean to one of the newer version of android?

edit: i'm retarded and don't know the alphabet, just realized jelly bean is the new hotness. yeah, i'll try that.

edit2: vvvv That still requires use of the the ROM manager program to flash the ROM, correct? That's basically the step I'm stuck on. I figure once I manage to install a newer version of android, I can install Jelly Bean. Problem is, I can't get to Clockworkmod ROM Manager because it doesn't show up in the market.

edit3: upon further digging, I think I found an old .apk for Clockworkmod ROM Manager and it appears to be working. I'll give your instructions a shot and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help.

mushi fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 23, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Just remember to follow those instructions carefully since you're new to rooting:

1) Go into Clockwork and tell the phone to make a backup.
2) Then in Clockwork: Delete Data/Factory Reset
3) Install the ROM V5 ZIP
4) Install the Kernel V5 ZIP
5) Install the CM10 Addons V5 ZIP

Then boot up and let things settle in for a few minutes. In the Developer Settings, put force GPU Rendering, and then go into performance and try overclocking. Don't tell the phone to "Set on Boot" until you're certain the overclock speed is stable. 1400 wasn't stable for me but I think 1200 is fine.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
Hmm, things didn't go so smoothly. I followed the directions and got the System 7 error, downloaded the CM9 kernel, followed the remaining instructions, and everything appeared to install correctly, but on booting it gave an error, which I forgot to write down.

I tried restoring to my backup and that didn't work either, and now it's hanging on boot. I knew it wasn't going to be that easy! Trying to figure out how to flash from this heimdall program I've got, and hopefully I can fix it.

edit: welp, got heimdall working and now my phone thinks it's from Europe and isn't getting a cell signal but at least it's booting. Confident I can figure out how to get root back and figure something out, but gotta leave for the night. Ah well.

mushi fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 24, 2012

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Super Waffle posted:

Thanks for the links, I was making good progress until I got to step 3 of the Clockwork Recovery mod method down there at the bottom. For some reason the phone wasn't booting into Clockwork mod, but instead the default Motorola boot menu? I didn't realize it until I had already reset the phone to factory default (Step 5), and by then the boot agent wouldn't load Cyanogen mod. Now my ADB won't recognize the device when I plug it in. Is Clockwork Recovery still installed on the phone or did I wipe it? How can I start over if ADB won't recognize it?

I've worked with almost all phones except Motorola so I don't know a ton about the system.

What might work is boot in to the OS, download ROM Manager from the Play store and install CWM that way. You can also software-boot in to the CWM from that program.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Good news for those with a Nexus S 4G: https://plus.google.com/app/plus/mp/667/#~loop:view=activity&aid=z12icbvhlu2aizlbt04cejrpcmjxg1hjbmc0k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

I was just reading about this.. I have to assume its based somewhat on ICS still since there are no Jelly Bean sources for it yet? I'm still tempted to give it a shot.