Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shensterz
Apr 24, 2010

Pudgygiant posted:

Why did everything financial take a nosedive after lunch today? There's nothing in any of their news feeds to give a hint.

Morgan Stanley's earnings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

hayden. posted:

Is there an IRC channel you guys hang out in?

I don't know but if there is I would be in it all day probably.

Pudgygiant posted:

Why did everything financial take a nosedive after lunch today? There's nothing in any of their news feeds to give a hint.

Nobody really knows how much banks are gonna have to pay for the libor scandal. A Congressman said it would be the same as tabacco which (I think) was about $300 billion which would ruin all the banks. But I've been reading it might be around $30 billion which isn't a lot when you think it would be split up by all the banks.

evilwaldo posted:

Gonna short that stock.

I don't know, it's at $7.26 right now. Do you really think it will go to zero?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 20, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
BAC, currently below it's 50/200, 38 RSI and a fairly even MACD. I could see shorting it, but not until it goes back up.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I could see it touching $5. Most of their profits are from DVA and the core business is weak not to mention the funding problem. For me you either short or stay away.

shensterz
Apr 24, 2010
Spain index fell by 6% today :wth:

edit: TEF,SAN,BBVA all down by 8%. drat.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

shensterz posted:

Spain index fell by 6% today :wth:

edit: TEF,SAN,BBVA all down by 8%. drat.

Yes these market are very volatile right now (and have been for the last year) because liquidity has dried up.

And this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/07/20/how-spain-went-from-quiet-to-crisis-in-two-days/

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 20, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Opinions on AMD as a value play now?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Are there any sites or services where one could filter for things like "within 10% of 52-week low" or "over x EPS" an get a big list of all mainstream companies whose stock falls into that category?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

PRADA SLUT posted:

Opinions on AMD as a value play now?

It's been a while since I've heard anything good about them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Harry posted:

It's been a while since I've heard anything good about them.

Intel will have a hard time keeping margins up with the decline of the PC. AMD will suffer a worse margin squeeze.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Intel will have a hard time keeping margins up with the decline of the PC. AMD will suffer a worse margin squeeze.

Who are the major suppliers of chips for tablets and phones that stand to make a lot from this transfer from PC/laptops to tablets/phones?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Who are the major suppliers of chips for tablets and phones that stand to make a lot from this transfer from PC/laptops to tablets/phones?

ARMH and it's too late.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Snapdragon from Qualcomm and like Countin said you are too late.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

evilwaldo posted:

Snapdragon from Qualcomm and like Countin said you are too late.

Who are the companies behind near field communication? Could the same trend follow as this technology is added to more phones a few years down the road?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Who are the companies behind near field communication? Could the same trend follow as this technology is added to more phones a few years down the road?
NXP and Sony. I strongly doubt that selling a few million chips worth $0.xx is going to have a big impact on NXP's bottom line.

Heisanevilgenius
Sep 2, 2007
What's everyone's thoughts on Sony? Their stocks have been poo poo lately.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Heisanevilgenius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dAd0fA2K2Y

Seriously though, I believe their electronics division is sucking pretty bad and they seem to be just losing cash hand over fist.

Harry fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 22, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Heisanevilgenius posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZdY9rw-uo

Thoughts on AIG?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

What's everyone's best performing stock in their portfolio?

I'm a bit late on this one, but this year's been good to me. Made ~120% on Corinthian Colleges (COCO) back in April, before they fell apart, and I'm currently up about 25% on Seagate (STX.) That said, does anyone else have an opinion on Seagate? I initially bought them because of their low P/E, high dividend, and their pricing advantages following the floods in Thailand.

Now hard drive prices have normalized, PC sales are down, and SSD's seem to be all the rage, so I'm curious if anyone has a reason not to hold onto the stock.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Primetime posted:

I'm a bit late on this one, but this year's been good to me. Made ~120% on Corinthian Colleges (COCO) back in April, before they fell apart, and I'm currently up about 25% on Seagate (STX.)

Why did you pick COCO? Was it because you (like I) are a fan of Conan O'Brien? I just briefly checked it out and it looks like a pure luck penny stock. Was there more to it that you had researched? I'm not meaning to come across as a jerk, just curious why you picked it.

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 23, 2012

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Why did you pick COCO? Was it because you (like I) are a fan of Conan O'Brien? I just briefly checked it out and it looks like a pure luck penny stock. Was there more to it that you had researched? I'm not meaning to come across as a jerk, just curious why you picked it.

While I do like Conan O'Brien that isn't the only reason I bought COCO.

I picked it up last year around November while it was around $1.98. I wish I could say I really did my homework before picking COCO, but I'm not going to lie to you. Honestly, it was a bit of a hail mary, the idea behind the pick was mainly that for-profit colleges, especially COCO, were getting killed earlier in the year due to gainful employment, 90/10 rules, Title IV funding being demonized by the media, etc. At the time I think COCO had a decent amount of cash kicking around, and if I remember right they own most of their property, so they weren't going to go bankrupt over night or anything either. (e: Just looked, current ratio at the time was above 2.0x)

A lot of the new regulations seemed to be blown way out of proportion, and I figured in the long term for profits would recover, so I should get in while for-profits were cheap. Looking at competitors, that pick was pretty much luck, COCO had great March earnings (I think they beat new student starts by a large margin) which shot them to ~$5.00/s at which point I got the hell out of there.

I still keep an eye on them, the new Gainful Employment data, and weak earnings beat them back down to $2.50. Who knows, maybe if they get down around $2.00 again I'll take a closer look and pick it up again.

Primetime fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 23, 2012

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Primetime posted:

Honest response to a question.

Thanks for the response. It does seem like there is an awful lot of "advice" in this thread that comes directly from some popup ad telling you this is going to be the year's hottest stock.

I picked up some Southwest Airlines (LUV) a few days ago. Earnings come out, they have a 42% increase in profit, and the stock falls 5% over the next couple of days. What gives? Is it just people taking their money and running?

I'm impressed with the quality of the services provided by the company, they bought AirTran last year and are assimilating the fleet into their own, and they are making money. Any reasons why this isn't a stock to hold onto for awhile?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Are there any sites or services where one could filter for things like "within 10% of 52-week low" or "over x EPS" an get a big list of all mainstream companies whose stock falls into that category?

Google Finance will let you do this plus about a billion other things.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

I'm impressed with the quality of the services provided by the company, they bought AirTran last year and are assimilating the fleet into their own, and they are making money. Any reasons why this isn't a stock to hold onto for awhile?

I like it more than the international carriers, domestic isn't going to be hit as hard as anything coming out of Europe, and anyone that does fly across the pond is going to spring for a better carrier than United or Delta anyway. Plus they just raised their dividend which is a pretty good indicator on internal long-term outlook. I wouldn't personally get into it but I wouldn't sell if I already was long.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Thanks for the response. It does seem like there is an awful lot of "advice" in this thread that comes directly from some popup ad telling you this is going to be the year's hottest stock.

I picked up some Southwest Airlines (LUV) a few days ago. Earnings come out, they have a 42% increase in profit, and the stock falls 5% over the next couple of days. What gives? Is it just people taking their money and running?

Buy the rumor, sell the news is the default rule for traders: it's not that earnings always leak just that what's a stock interesting for traders is one with a significant short-float which gets squeezed, causing the price to shoot up dramatically. Usually big spikes up in price are not people frantic to buy at any price because it's such a great company, but rather people who were short hitting their limits and having to cover or get their faces ripped off. This can happen in stages, sometimes even months in advance. Quite often a biotech will lose 15-20% of its value after FDA approval because the approval was actually already baked into the price, and the people who bought late and assumed it wasn't and were expecting to go up a lot become the bagholders. Just because profits have increased it doesn't mean they met expectations that justified the previous stock price.

Also, there's the macro/meta game for the price: for instance, oil spiking up in price is very, very, bad for airlines. I'd wait to see if it breaks the 200 day moving average and if it shows strong resistance then buy back in on the way up, if it breaks through, wait for it to comfortably bottom before buying. Buy-and-Hold had a good run, but outside of about 50 or a 100 monolithic stocks that never show much movement in either direction, it's generally way too risky!

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

Google Finance will let you do this plus about a billion other things.

I've been using Google Finance for years and never bothered to look at its analyzers. It was right in front of my face. Thanks!

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Smerdyakov posted:

Buy-and-Hold had a good run, but outside of about 50 or a 100 monolithic stocks that never show much movement in either direction, it's generally way too risky!

Also, there's the macro/meta game for the price: for instance, oil spiking up in price is very, very, bad for airlines. I'd wait to see if it breaks the 200 day moving average and if it shows strong resistance then buy back in on the way up, if it breaks through, wait for it to comfortably bottom before buying.

If this is the case, what is the future of trading for the average Joe trader? Chasing after rumors and getting out after you make 5%?

Also, could you elaborate on this strategy with the 200 day moving average? I read it here as "if it doesn't break through, buy it on the way up; if it does break through wait for it to bottom before buying". If it doesn't break through, when is it going up? If it does break through, is the old average the new bottom?

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 23, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
What do you get at a bank, .5%? Don't talk down to 5%.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm screening some stocks based on metrics, and a bunch of Chinese companies keep popping up. What should I know about investing in Chinese companies, in general? Not industry-specific, but is there something I should be looking out for in Chinese companies that I wouldn't be looking out for in American ones?

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm screening some stocks based on metrics, and a bunch of Chinese companies keep popping up. What should I know about investing in Chinese companies, in general? Not industry-specific, but is there something I should be looking out for in Chinese companies that I wouldn't be looking out for in American ones?
Be aware the risks are significantly greater than the US. So many Chinese stocks have been de-listed from US exchanges as outright frauds and the Chinese famously keep multiple sets of books to keep investors in the dark. Look up Muddywaters or Citron Research for a taste of how bad some stocks can get before deciding if you want to dabble there.

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can any Germans shed some light on the E.ON ADR (EONGY)?

I can see the dividend got cut relatively recently, the stock has been punished, and it wasn't profitable last quarter, but the P/B on this thing is so brutally low and the yield is so tempting.

Wiki tells me this is the biggest utility in Germany, so how much uglier can the future get for them given the current Euro brouhaha? What's the downside here? Maybe another dividend cut? Why shouldn't I buy a ton of this and just get paid handsomely for sitting on it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fraternite posted:

Can any Germans shed some light on the E.ON ADR (EONGY)?

I can see the dividend got cut relatively recently, the stock has been punished, and it wasn't profitable last quarter, but the P/B on this thing is so brutally low and the yield is so tempting.

Wiki tells me this is the biggest utility in Germany, so how much uglier can the future get for them given the current Euro brouhaha? What's the downside here? Maybe another dividend cut? Why shouldn't I buy a ton of this and just get paid handsomely for sitting on it?

Have they already written down the massive massive losses associated with Germany dumping nuclear power? That book value might be inflated.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Turkeybone posted:

The risk you are taking for 5% is absurd though. Unintended consequence #1 billion of our monetary policy.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Buy the rumor, etc, as mentioned above. But, from a business standpoint they cater solely to Ma & Pa Kettle. Business travelers (like me) avoid it like the plague. If the economy is slowing, which all current trends say yes and the fiscal cliff situation at year end says yes then the company is going to get hit. Not Europe situation getting hit, but Ohio visits Florida is going to slow down.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

FunOne posted:

Business travelers (like me) avoid it like the plague.

This isn't as true as it was a couple years ago. I know more than a few people that fly Virgin or Emirates transatlantic to a Southwest connection that in the past would have just done a full United or Delta itinerary. That said, a thing I heard on the Russian airline Aeroflot, easily the worst I've ever flown, was "Well at least it's not Southwest". And a LOT of people think that.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Monday mornings like this. It's a firesale! Sorry to anyone with substantial long positions though.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

I remember when I had 5% two days ago.

It was good.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Welp, taking some questionable positions here, but my stops are at this morning's lows so my risk is at a minimum.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Holy crap what is happening to znga today? Pre-earnings release high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone considering shorting FB before the earnings report Thursday?