Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So now that I have the newest FoW book, Devil's Charge, is there anyone/anywhere I can get 15mm Chaffee tanks? I really want to screw with the people at my LGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

YF19pilot posted:

So now that I have the newest FoW book, Devil's Charge, is there anyone/anywhere I can get 15mm Chaffee tanks? I really want to screw with the people at my LGS.

I was told that they aren't releasing Chaffees until September unfortunately, and I have no idea where else to get them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
You didnt look very hard.

http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=440_441_442_753&products_id=5827

Took me seconds to find one.

Not that you can field it in a BF FOW tournament these days...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Serotonin posted:

You didnt look very hard.

http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=440_441_442_753&products_id=5827

Took me seconds to find one.

Not that you can field it in a BF FOW tournament these days...

Yeah I was reading something on their forums about only being able to use BF minis in BF run events and tourneys.

And why no Italians QRF?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So, I went to my LGS to ask if he could order QRF products, seeing as QRF states they have distributors in the US. Instead, the owner goes to QRF's website, looks up the Chaffee (what I wanted) and says that I would be unsatisfied with their quality and that I should just wait untill BF releases the Chaffees instead - and use M18s as proxy.

I didn't know what to say, but I think I may have made my last purchase from that store. I understand that they might not be Battlefront level of quality, but at least let me figure that out for myself, instead of telling me to wait two months to get something I want and that I'm willing to pay him for. And so what if it's bellow BF's standards? It may still be a great product, on top of the fact that they sell things that aren't sold by BF!

It's one thing if he actually finds out he's unable to order it from his supplier, but it's another thing to just not try. Then again, last time I asked him to check on a product (Plastic Soldier Company) it took me a month of constant bugging to get a (negative) answer.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So I'm thinking with all this new poo poo that I'm gonna get back into FoW. I need a silly fun army with cool back story that I can play.

Here's my previous four armies:

-Estonian SS (my mainstay force)
-Russian Naval Infantry
-British Jewish Battalion
-Tunisian Tigers (my mid war force)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So I'm thinking with all this new poo poo that I'm gonna get back into FoW. I need a silly fun army with cool back story that I can play.

-Russian Naval Infantry

Polish Armia Krajowa (Home Army). They were the biggest resistance group of the war, and in August of 1944 at least 20,000 of them tried to take Warsaw just before the Russians arrived. Long story short, the Russians stopped their advance literally just miles away and let the Germans win rather than have an independent Poland to deal with. But anyways they have an army list in Red Bear I think. mostly infantry but they had a few captured tanks.

Edit: added link to FoW site, hope that's okay.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 15, 2012

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

YF19pilot posted:

So, I went to my LGS to ask if he could order QRF products, seeing as QRF states they have distributors in the US. Instead, the owner goes to QRF's website, looks up the Chaffee (what I wanted) and says that I would be unsatisfied with their quality and that I should just wait untill BF releases the Chaffees instead - and use M18s as proxy.

gently caress him, order direct. I have a load of their modern vehicles and while they are not the highest quality out there, they are certainly more than passable, and paint up nicely.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Serotonin posted:

gently caress him, order direct. I have a load of their modern vehicles and while they are not the highest quality out there, they are certainly more than passable, and paint up nicely.

I'll have to wait untill my next payday to start ordering for now. I just couldn't believe how brazen he was about the whole deal. Don't even bother to see if you can order it (Scale Creep is the US supplier, apparently), just gives me a line of poo poo like a used car salesman.

Otherwise, I got shut out by a Soviet heavy tank list. I built one of the infantry lists from Devil's Charge, which seemed brilliant on paper, but lacked anything to deal with these heavy tanks. I'll be honest, I've never played against a heavy tank army with 9 IS-85s (which apparently have ROF2 on the move) and air support with AT12 (my poor Calliopes). Most damage I did was bail two of the tanks when my ambushed Shermans got the side armor on him - I did not kill anything, and there were several turns where I didn't do anything.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

YF19pilot posted:

I'll have to wait untill my next payday to start ordering for now. I just couldn't believe how brazen he was about the whole deal. Don't even bother to see if you can order it (Scale Creep is the US supplier, apparently), just gives me a line of poo poo like a used car salesman.

Otherwise, I got shut out by a Soviet heavy tank list. I built one of the infantry lists from Devil's Charge, which seemed brilliant on paper, but lacked anything to deal with these heavy tanks. I'll be honest, I've never played against a heavy tank army with 9 IS-85s (which apparently have ROF2 on the move) and air support with AT12 (my poor Calliopes). Most damage I did was bail two of the tanks when my ambushed Shermans got the side armor on him - I did not kill anything, and there were several turns where I didn't do anything.

IS-85s don't have ROF2 on the move. They have ROF2, yes, but not stabilizers. What Soviet heavy tanks in LW don't have is hen and chicks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

-Russian Naval Infantry

I played a game with the naval infantry force, they're fun and they kick rear end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just stop going to this festering wastedump of human refuse. Every time you post about it I start wanting to punch people on your behalf and games should never make you want to punch people.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

Just stop going to this festering wastedump of human refuse. Every time you post about it I start wanting to punch people on your behalf and games should never make you want to punch people.

Yeah, I'm looking for a new LGS home. I think they've finally broken me, since I now have a built (but not painted) Konigstiger sitting next to my unbuilt Italian Coastal Defense truck. I bought it for the sheer purpose of wrecking people's poo poo rather than the rule-of-cool I normally go by. :smith:

I just need to stop being lazy and and drive to Akron. I really wish there was another store closer by, or that the people who are actually tollerable to play against weren't so brainwashed into 'support your LGS no matter the cause.' I'd like to host games, but my social circle is laughbly small and doesn't include anyone that I know of who'd be interested. Though it'd give me a great excuse to build terrain again...

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Anyone know a a good substitute for German army grey and British commando colors in the citadel or PP paint lines? I am going to order some Vallejo paints for these, but would like to get started and these are the lines my LGS carries.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Looks like Battlefront (sorta) backed down over their retarded GW-like policy of requiring BF-only models at tournaments.

Not that I care, I don't think you could pay me to play at a tournament.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mr.Booger posted:

Anyone know a a good substitute for German army grey and British commando colors in the citadel or PP paint lines? I am going to order some Vallejo paints for these, but would like to get started and these are the lines my LGS carries.
British Commandos are easily enough done by careful mucking around with browns and Catechan Green for the beret or cap comforter. Do you mean panzergrau or feldgrau?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Tournament play is literally an invitation to a no-fun cock waving nerd contest. Unless there's money to be made there is no good reason to play in a tournament. I mean, you could say bragging rights are the reward, but are you seriously going to go brag to someone about winning a game with your little mans?

Also for feldgrau I mix codex grey with a little bit of Catechan green. Close enough for 15mm. Besides of you want your unit to look historically accurate I'd vary the colors pretty wildly. 3rd Reich Germany was not a stickler for exact shades. They took what they could produce for the most part.

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 17, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Scratch Monkey posted:

They took what they could produce for the most part.

This is making me want to paint my Konigstiger up in Italian Carri desert colors. I already have an Italian commander glued in. Then again, I have one in a Sherman 76mm. I have a ton of Italian tank commanders. BF puts like 10 in one blister of tankettes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Their tankettes are bizzarely cheap and cute as gently caress.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I am actually painting 28mm (Bolt Action)but plan to play around with tones on the uniforms, so some will be older and more worn.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I may have found a new LGS to waste time and money at. Only two problems - the owner (who I think is younger than me) has never heard of FoW, and there is no room in his shop. However, the guy is pretty friendly and swears he'll order anything I want (he couldn't understand why the other guy wouldn't), and once the landlord cleans out the building, there will be some 1200 sq ft for comics and gaming, which should happen within a month's time. Best of all? It's about five minutes from where I work and maybe an extra 5 minutes to get to compared to my current LGS. gently caress. Yes.

Now I need to start building/buying more terrain. I may still go poke my head around Akron in the meanwhile.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I see no problems. It's time to get a pair of low-points list written up so that when he has tables setup you can show him the game.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

I see no problems. It's time to get a pair of low-points list written up so that when he has tables setup you can show him the game.

It's pretty awesome, really. Really the biggest "issue" is waiting for that store to expand, and that isn't a problem, since it'll give me time to prepare for it.

Otherwise, I think I'll build small forces of each nation out of the V3 army book. Shouldn't be too hard. Once things get going, I can always sell one army to whoever is collecting/running that army.

edit: I'm still debating whether or not to get BF's 'European House' terrain subscription.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

He's never heard of FoW and he runs a LGS? Wow.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

He might be coming in from the RPG side of things and really out of date/touch on wargame trends. Still rather odd.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Scratch Monkey posted:

Tournament play is literally an invitation to a no-fun cock waving nerd contest. Unless there's money to be made there is no good reason to play in a tournament. I mean, you could say bragging rights are the reward, but are you seriously going to go brag to someone about winning a game with your little mans?

Sorry to disagree with with you but Tournaments are a great chance to play heaps of games in a short amount of time with like minded individuals. They are a great chance to show off your latest painted model and have a good time playing a game.

If your super worried about prizes or rewards, games played with army men may not be your calling.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Serotonin posted:

He's never heard of FoW and he runs a LGS? Wow.

This is my own fault for not being clear. It's actually a comic book store that sells Magic: The Gathering and a few rpgs on the side. He's had a lot of customers coming in asking for Warhammer/40K and other games, so he's expanding. He's pretty open about things, as long as it'll bring him customers. He just opened his store this past February.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LintMan posted:

Sorry to disagree with with you but Tournaments are a great chance to play heaps of games in a short amount of time with like minded individuals. They are a great chance to show off your latest painted model and have a good time playing a game.

If your super worried about prizes or rewards, games played with army men may not be your calling.
The historicals tournament scene is mostly different from the GW tournament scene, but a large number of us are familiar with that more than any historical system's crowd. There's a good reason to be wary of it.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Any 28mm WW2 players out there, do you use 1/56 vehicles or 1/48? I know it is a giant can of worms argument most forums I have seen it discussed, but wondered if any goons had pic of there stuff that might point me in a direction.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Personally I'm beginning to see the problems with a tournament/points system.

I've been playing a lot of scenario based Wargames (like tides of iron, descent journeys in the dark) and various D&D/Pathfinder/etc... encounter games and its its just better.

Assuming you can bring everything you need to run the scenario (easy with boxed games like tides) then it doesn't really take that much time to set up.

The only reason anybody seems to take forces other than whatever is optimum in Flames is because they don't have the models yet or they are also just bored.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Numlock posted:

The only reason anybody seems to take forces other than whatever is optimum in Flames is because they don't have the models yet or they are also just bored.

For tournaments specifically?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Mr.Booger posted:

Any 28mm WW2 players out there, do you use 1/56 vehicles or 1/48? I know it is a giant can of worms argument most forums I have seen it discussed, but wondered if any goons had pic of there stuff that might point me in a direction.

I tend to use 1/56.. This is getting a lot easier these days although it's the more expensive option.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Those are very nice tables. Love the modular terrain tiles in the first couple of pics.

Crossposting these from the painting thread, 18mm Napoleon at War Frenchies:

Looking forward to getting enough painted to actually play a game. I'm bringing the painted stuff with me to my weekly FoW club tonight. Getting grown men to drool over pewter dollies usually nets me a couple of opponents for a new game.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Numlock posted:

Or they enjoy painting a certain force, enjoy the history of a particular unit or even enjoy the challenge of playing a sub optimal force.

I normally do pretty well with my lists which are not part of the perceived optimum lists.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LintMan posted:

Or they enjoy painting a certain force, enjoy the history of a particular unit or even enjoy the challenge of playing a sub optimal force.

I normally do pretty well with my lists which are not part of the perceived optimum lists.

Yeah, I run a non-Soviet infantry horde list, so I don't run the best tournament stuff but it works anyway, i've won all my games that i've played with it, though I think it has to do with my opponents' insistence on playing FV panzergrenadier lists out of old books.

I do think scenario type play is a lot of fun, but also enjoy list building? I can see both sides of it. One of the advantages of systems that are more pick-up based is that I can take my one army and play it against a variety of stuff. Romanians vs Americans is always fun.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I run a non-Soviet infantry horde list, so I don't run the best tournament stuff but it works anyway, i've won all my games that i've played with it, though I think it has to do with my opponents' insistence on playing FV panzergrenadier lists out of old books.

I do think scenario type play is a lot of fun, but also enjoy list building? I can see both sides of it. One of the advantages of systems that are more pick-up based is that I can take my one army and play it against a variety of stuff. Romanians vs Americans is always fun.

I love to run my Italians, in part because no one thinks they're any good. Yet I've done great with them in Mid-War, and certainly have a better track record than my Americans in Late-War. Though really my American lists have been an on-going quest to find that one list (preferably infantry) that will take on all comers. Granted at my current LGS I'm the only person not running Soviet/German Heavies or German fortified companies.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Hey I'm looking to see if anyone can identify a website for me. I used them to order my Russians and I was looking into maybe using them again to order Hungarians, Romanians or some other such funtimes. They had decent prices and a good range of different 15mm guys. I seem to remember their site being mostly camo green color and I think their logo had a crosshair on it. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

LintMan posted:

Sorry to disagree with with you but Tournaments are a great chance to play heaps of games in a short amount of time with like minded individuals.

Arquinsiel posted:

The historicals tournament scene is mostly different from the GW tournament scene, but a large number of us are familiar with that more than any historical system's crowd. There's a good reason to be wary of it.

Yeah I'm talking specifically about GW/FoW style tourneys with very strict rules about models, books and other nonsense that attracts minmaxing rule Nazis and other unpleasant types. I've been to plenty of plain-Jane historical tournaments that were really fun and relaxed. I attribute that to the lack of the corporate backed money machine type of organization you find in "big" game cons.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Finished up some Italians for a 600pt FOW Early War tournament in a few weeks time. Should be a laugh, they have a variable rating so I roll each game to see what skill and morale each platoons gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Looks good, but how about putting some decals on those tanks? (Tin cans? Steel coffins?)