Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
I've been lurking on this thread a while and thought i might show off the coop we built a few months ago. I found a picture on the web and went from there. I found out later there's actually a company that makes these and you can order kits. O well, mine was cheaper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Bantaras posted:

I've been lurking on this thread a while and thought i might show off the coop we built a few months ago. I found a picture on the web and went from there. I found out later there's actually a company that makes these and you can order kits. O well, mine was cheaper!

That looks awesome. What are the dimensions and how many birds do you have? I need to start building something soon and keep going back and forth between having a chicken tractor and blocking off a part of a side shed I have. Right now I think I will split it down the middle and block off part of the garage and build a run that detaches and can become a tractor for the warm months of the year.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Just measured out the run size for the future chickens, it is 150 square feet. I could go bigger if needed. Is that going to be good for about 5-6 chickens?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

:saddowns: Roostroyer is so bad at courting his hens. He starts dancing but then when the hoes ignore him he starts to chase hem around until they give up running and let the dork sit on them. When is my cock going to stop being suck a horny dork? He's 15 months old now.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

My ladies are looking very grown up now! They'll be 20 weeks this Wednesday. No eggs yet but I'm hoping we get some soon.

Lucille:

Maeby:

Beatrice:

Chloebelle:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Ceridwen, your birds are beautiful! Thank you for sharing the photos.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Not had a good day :smith: Lazarus has taken ill, she's behind the other chicks in development and spends most of her time asleep. I kept her inside for two days until I thought she was ok, and put her outside. When I went out to check on her she was comatose. She's waking up now she's been in the warm again but I don't hold much hope.

Second thing, when I went out this morning, Christina didn't come out with the others. I checked in the house and I guess the older hens attacked her. I've given her ibproufen and baby rice mixed with sugar, salt and egg yolk, but she's not making any noises or moving much. She has blood on one ear and the eye on that side is almost totally swollen shut, although the eye is still in there and intact, and she can open it a tiny bit now... She's been lying on the sofa all day.

I don't want them to suffer, but no vet around here will look at them, and I'm kind of at a loss what else I can do...

I never should have named it Lazarus...

Edit: Lazarus died about an hour ago.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 20, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Nettle Soup - awwww so sorry about Lazarus. I hope Christina pulls through for you. Lazarus had a good life with you. I'll be sending good thoughts for you. I hope it's nothing contagious!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 20, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Aww Nettle Soup, I'm so sorry for your loss :smith: There should be more vets willing to see chickens, I don't understand why if vets study to treat birds like parrots and other pet birds, why won't they see chickens? Is it rally that different to treat a chicken? :(

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

Chido posted:

Aww Nettle Soup, I'm so sorry for your loss :smith: There should be more vets willing to see chickens, I don't understand why if vets study to treat birds like parrots and other pet birds, why won't they see chickens? Is it rally that different to treat a chicken? :(

Technically, large animal vets are the ones that are supposed to treat poultry, and they are the only ones that can give out health certificates, etc. for them. Luckily, I have an awesome vet that reinstated her large animal credentials to be able to do the state required paperwork for my birds, and will treat (even do surgery) on my chickens and guineas. They also have another relief vet that works part time at the practice who is large animal licensed and used to do a lot of poultry work in OK (where cock fighting is still legal :( ).

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I think I need to go to Home Depot this weekend. This feeder looks awesome.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/building-a-treadle-chicken-feeder

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry to hear your sad news, Nettle Soup. I hope Christina will be okay.

I am getting worried about Jojo - she's had a cough since a couple of days after we bought her (probably from our lovely British summer weather). She's been eating fine the whole time and hasn't been acting any different from the other girls so we thought she had a cold and would recover in time. Now she's begun to lose a few feathers and is keeping to herself a lot more. She has yet to lay as well. :(

The other girls are fine and haven't picked anything up which we're very glad for. We've started putting apple cider vinegar tonic in the water and will see how she goes but if she doesn't improve over the weekend, I'm going to see if I can book her a visit to the vet.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Oh Nettle! I'm so sorry to hear about Lazarus! :sympathy:

I hope Christina will be okay. Don't know why the other older hens would suddenly pick on her. I guess they're just jealous of her head feather-pouf. :(

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

For the past few weeks there's been a sparrow showing up in the yard at feeding time. It normally would hang back and wait for the hens to move away a bit and snatch what it could of the crumble or scratch feed then flit away. Lately, however, it's been getting a bit bolder and mingling with the hens while they're in the yard. It worried me at first because I've personally witnessed the girls snack on small birds, mice, frogs, and snakes that they caught and killed. The sparrow didn't seem to really be noticed, though, and one of the hens took to acting like an over protective mother around it when she came off of being broody. She'd run off the other hens if they got closer to the little sparrow than she liked.
The sparrow just chilled. It even got to where it sat on my foot this morning for a few moments. :3:

Yeah... I got back from running errands this evening and they were eating it. :cry:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

tokomon posted:

Yeah... I got back from running errands this evening and they were eating it. :cry:

Your chickens are truly mini raptors :black101: mine just scream and bawk at birds :downs:

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Chido posted:

Your chickens are truly mini raptors :black101: mine just scream and bawk at birds :downs:

I don't know what it is with those hens being that predatory, either. Best I can fathom is that when mice came in from the fields this past winter they realized that they could kill and eat tiny things.
And my mother wonders why I'm wary of putting little baby chicks in with that flock...

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

tokomon posted:

And my mother wonders why I'm wary of putting little baby chicks in with that flock...

Well, if you manage to make a broody hen adopt the chicks, I get the feeling it wouldn't be the chicks the ones in danger. When we caught Tissue, the last of Roostroyer's henhoes, she had 7 chicks with her. drat bird went for my face when I got into the garage to take a better look at her.

Your broody hens would probably kill and gut a raccoon if it gets close to their babies :black101:

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Chido posted:

Your broody hens would probably kill and gut a raccoon if it gets close to their babies :black101:

Truth. The one who temporarily adopted the sparrow was hilariously vigilant. They all finally came off of being broody about a week ago, thankfully. That was a couple of months of angry screamy hens who I had to punt out to get food twice a day. One of the buff hens still dropped a bit more weight than I'm comfortable with, though.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

First egg! I think it came from Maeby but I'm not 100% sure.

Next to one from the grocery store:

And the contents, with both a grocery store egg and one from a friend's farm for comparison:

Can't wait for more!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Ceridwen posted:

First egg! I think it came from Maeby but I'm not 100% sure.

Can't wait for more!

Yay! :neckbeard: wait until you actually see your hens laying, it's quite an experience :v:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

You know, when I was in England I was amazed to see that even the store-bought eggs had rich dark yolks like that. We really do get blah eggs in this country.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ceridwen posted:

And the contents, with both a grocery store egg and one from a friend's farm for comparison:

Can't wait for more!

:qq: I wish I lived near someone with chickens. I'd pay top dollar for eggs that nice.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

You know, when I was in England I was amazed to see that even the store-bought eggs had rich dark yolks like that. We really do get blah eggs in this country.

Depends on what chain you get your eggs from over here really. It's rather hit and miss from supermarkets.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Kerfuffle posted:

:qq: I wish I lived near someone with chickens. I'd pay top dollar for eggs that nice.

Where do you live? If you happen to live in LA county, very close to Arcadia/Monrovia, I could give you some of my eggs for free...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Zaran posted:

Depends on what chain you get your eggs from over here really. It's rather hit and miss from supermarkets.

I bought mine at Tesco, but I did go for the cage-free ones.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Chido posted:

Where do you live? If you happen to live in LA county, very close to Arcadia/Monrovia, I could give you some of my eggs for free...

TN. :(

I unfortunately haven't seen any farmers markets around me ever advertising eggs. I'd have to drive way too far to find the ones that do.

I guess I could try eggs from whole foods, but then I might be paying for expensive eggs that aren't even that great. I can't exactly crack one open to check.

And yes, Europe has high quality eggs more often than not, I was so envious. Even the eggs from corner stores are fantastic. They had good produce too.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I have a stupid question, when did this change from Pet Island to Penis Land?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

piscesbobbie posted:

I have a stupid question, when did this change from Pet Island to Penis Land?

It's always been Penis Land, what's this "Pet Island" poo poo? :confused:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

redmercer posted:

Never mind. I thought it was Pet Island. Must be dreaming or something. Sorry for the stupid comment.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Kerfuffle posted:

Well, if anyone lives in North Idaho, I will have eggs!

The chickens are pretty cute. They've gotten a lot tamer in the last few weeks (ever since they started squatting). They've also gone from taking ten minutes to come out of the run when I open it to waiting by the door every time I'm outside in the hopes I'll open it up and let them run around the yard. Our landlord has mostly completed our fence over the past week, so I'm a lot more comfortable letting them roam now. And Rusty has proven to be very good with them and they'll get close enough to let him smell them now as long as he's laying down.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

redmercer posted:

Yeah, hadn't you noticed there are cocks all up in this thread? :pervert: :quagmire:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

daggerdragon posted:

Yeah, hadn't you noticed there are cocks all up in this thread? :pervert: :quagmire:

Yes, I noticed. I shall impose my own ban of 24 hours! Sorry for my idiocy.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

daggerdragon posted:

Wel, one giant fat cock and lots of smaller but hardcore cocks. We need more cocks here people :dong:

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Every time I go outside there's four big cocks that eye me greedily. A woman's just not safe in this neighborhood.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

tokomon posted:

Every time I go outside there's four big cocks that eye me greedily. A woman's just not safe in this neighborhood.

You sure? I bet they cockblock each other all the time. Also, you should stop being so selfish, share pictures of your cocks with us !

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Chido posted:

You sure? I bet they cockblock each other all the time. Also, you should stop being so selfish, share pictures of your cocks with us !

Rufus gets the harem. Curly, Larry, and Shemp just get to watch. :pervert:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

So, what is up (harhar) with "Penis Land" instead of Pet Island? Seems like they only went partway with this, with only Pet Island and Goons in Platoons getting peen references. Goons with Spoons should have been changed to "Your SA Cocking forum." :flaccid:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inveigle posted:

So, what is up (harhar) with "Penis Land" instead of Pet Island? Seems like they only went partway with this, with only Pet Island and Goons in Platoons getting peen references. Goons with Spoons should have been changed to "Your SA Cocking forum." :flaccid:

GWS is far from flaccid though.

Nettle, I'm sorry about Lazarus too. :(

The chickens that used to roam up and down the street over here came over to visit today. All of them. They were rounding them up by the time I got out there with a camera and asked me not to take pictures. I think they're a little worried about ASPCA or something, since we had like 45 chickens everywhere across like four yards.

HeadcrabPie
Oct 6, 2009
Yesterday I went to pick up my new ball of fluff, a currently nameless Silkie!

I have some experience with chickens but it's been quite a while. Right now it's in a large plastic tub with pine shavings and an infrared lamp on one side (sitting around 90 degrees), stuffing its face like there's no tomorrow. He (she?) was hatched on the 18th of this month. :3:

This chick is going to be a housepet. A friend of mine has an indoor chicken who runs around with a chicken diaper, and turned me on to the idea.

Is there anything I should know beyond the basics? Do any of you have experience keeping an indoor chicken?

Also, beautiful chickens in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

HeadcrabPie posted:

Yesterday I went to pick up my new ball of fluff, a currently nameless Silkie!

I have some experience with chickens but it's been quite a while. Right now it's in a large plastic tub with pine shavings and an infrared lamp on one side (sitting around 90 degrees), stuffing its face like there's no tomorrow. He (she?) was hatched on the 18th of this month. :3:

This chick is going to be a housepet. A friend of mine has an indoor chicken who runs around with a chicken diaper, and turned me on to the idea.

Is there anything I should know beyond the basics? Do any of you have experience keeping an indoor chicken?

Also, beautiful chickens in this thread!

Well, I can tell you that you should have at least two, no matter where you plan on keeping them.