Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Hmm. Either this episode just works better if you've read the source, my nerves regarding how they'd handle this episode meant that I overevaluated the finished product, or I am the only poster with good taste. (It's obviously option 3! :pseudo:) I rather liked it. :shobon:

I think the fact that the flags are obvious is part of what makes it work, actually. You know that those characters are boned, so it becomes less about their deaths and more their impact on the survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hey mind not posting blatant spoilers, no matter how obvious they are? Thanks.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Haven't read the novels and I have to agree this episode felt quite disjointed. Should have spent the entire episode playing with the guild and then resolved it next episode, maybe? I'm gonna go ahead and read the first novel to see how it compares.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

So none of the other guilds figured, "Hey I bet the big bad boss guy will spawn at the biggest fir tree!"

So how big of a timeskip will the next episode be?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah this arc should have been 2 episodes.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Where the FLIP did Asuna go?

Talvos
Mar 21, 2005

Demicol posted:

Haven't read the novels and I have to agree this episode felt quite disjointed. Should have spent the entire episode playing with the guild and then resolved it next episode, maybe? I'm gonna go ahead and read the first novel to see how it compares.

This story is actually in the second book, though it is mentioned in passing in the first.

pandaK posted:

Episode 1: November 2022
Episode 2: December 2022
Episode 3: December 2023
Episode 4: February 2024

Talvos fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 22, 2012

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

doomisland posted:

Presumably, Asuna and Kirito parted ways after the first boss because he's too much of a sperglord soloist.

Sylvyfish posted:

Question for anyone who may have read the light novels

I'll keep this vague, but as far as SAO goes the game has a definite ending. The events at the end of SAO lead directly into a new game, but not in the way you might think.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

doomisland posted:

She has a name hasn't died and is in the opening. She'll be back.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dexo posted:

She has a name hasn't died and is in the opening. She'll be back.

Not just is in the opening, but is obviously the most prominent person in it outside of Kirito.

Quincy80
Jul 3, 2012
Are we ever going to see that bald guy guy with the axe again?
He kind of gives off a returning character vibe.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

pandaK posted:

So none of the other guilds figured, "Hey I bet the big bad boss guy will spawn at the biggest fir tree!"

Could be giving the anime too much credit but it looked like they have invisible magic warp tunnels to get to some places and Kirito had a map.

Then again most of the people in this anime seem pretty unintelligent

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Also for all we know zones could be massive, and they can't exactly alt tab to a website to look up detailed maps and poo poo. Could be not many people know about that tree.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The best part of the entire episode was the unbelievably goofy face that one Holy Dragon Something Something guy without a helmet had.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sindai posted:

The best part of the entire episode was the unbelievably goofy face that one Holy Dragon Something Something guy without a helmet had.

Related: what exactly were Klein's group doing to prevent the Holy Whatevers from fighting the mob instead of Kirito? By what means? Couldn't they all just walk past them and fight the Santa mob? Were they actually killing each other (or do they even have the ability to)? It was so overly dramatic with no reasoning/poor pacing that I couldn't help but burst out laughing at that entire scene.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Related: what exactly were Klein's group doing to prevent the Holy Whatevers from fighting the mob instead of Kirito? By what means? Couldn't they all just walk past them and fight the Santa mob? Were they actually killing each other (or do they even have the ability to)? It was so overly dramatic with no reasoning/poor pacing that I couldn't help but burst out laughing at that entire scene.

We don't really know, unless of course, we read the light novels. I may break down and do that because this show doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense unless you have the extra background information you need from these novels.

Apparently, the world is a Player versus Player (PvP) world, so anyone can attack anyone else at any time. Given that the Holy Who-sits outnumbered Klein's group, I would've assumed they'd win unless Klein's group was overall on-average a significantly higher level. All we saw at the end was Klein and his cronies breathing heavy like they'd just won a difficult battle.

The last thing you'd want in a PvP world is to have your group start attacking a monster and have another group come and attack your group while you were being bashed on by both the monster and that other group. I've had that happen in PvP WoW. The Holy Who-sits basically had to fight Klein's group if they wanted to fight the crazy santa claus later on without someone ganking them from behind.

Also, it appears Kirito is somewhat if not significantly above Klein and his group. During the episode, Kaito was solo'ing level 28 whereas Klein was up there with a group.

Typically, in most MMO's you stop getting experience for kills that are far below your level. Therefore, if you're level 40 and you're killing level 20's, you won't get experience points (XP) for those kills. You'll get item drops and money, but not XP.

Therefore, I would find it a bit surprising to see someone who is, say level 40 or so, hanging out with a bunch of level 20's. Any XP he got while grouped would be either insignificant or none at all. Likewise, he'd be leaching some of the XP from their group kills uselessly.

I can see why you wouldn't want to tell people your level though. If it's a true PvP world, you don't want others gauging whether they can kill you or not. Generally, in MMO's there are no police forces that will hunt down PvP killers. It can be pretty brutal.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
question about the Light Novel
wasn't there a 2 year timeskip between leaving town of beginnings to 74th floor or some poo poo?

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Sindai posted:

Hey, you got Airbender in my Sword Art Online!

I'm gonna feel like an rear end in a top hat for saying this, but I felt like this entire episode was one bad mishmash of incredibly tired anime cliches... If the source material is like this, I guess there's really not much the anime can do.

Wasn't Klein's name crossed out at the end of Ep. 1? Maybe I'm mistaken. I guess, that'll be a recurring plot point then.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Holy Queef posted:

question about the Light Novel
wasn't there a 2 year timeskip between leaving town of beginnings to 74th floor or some poo poo?

The original LN was plotted extremely fast. The Author made it for some contest that had a page limit or something.

The Stories they are showing now are plots the author released in a second book of side stories. Which sorta bridge the gap, and explain how Kirito became the person he did on the later floors.

diggingtrash
Jun 14, 2007
The writer had to pay attention to his count because after a certain break point the novel will have too many pages to be considered 'light'.

Quincy80
Jul 3, 2012

Sindai posted:

Holy Dragon had two dudes with catastrophically retarded looks on their face.

That aside, they listed Holy Dragon as one of the front line guilds earlier in the episode. So how did they lose 15(count confirmed, 2 seperate frames) to 6, without getting any kills?

Is their retardation a plot point or recruitment requirement?

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.

Dexo posted:

The original LN was plotted extremely fast. The Author made it for some contest that had a page limit or something.

The Stories they are showing now are plots the author released in a second book of side stories. Which sorta bridge the gap, and explain how Kirito became the person he did on the later floors.

yeah, i went back over the LN and noticed how kirito just briefly mentions episode 3 in a paragraph to someone

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Yeah, not going to defend that one, Red Nosed Reindeer needed at least two episodes to do it properly, and they cut out important stuff this time around.

Still, if they're trying to cram two Light Novels into the space of a 12-13 episode series, some of the more story-heavy parts are probably going to get trimmed down, though you'd think it might actually be better then to just skip the only "Marginally" important side-stories then.

Is there an accurate episode count for this yet?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

25 I believe.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Srice posted:

25 I believe.

That can't be true, it just can't. Why would they possibly be rushing trough the content if they have 20+ episodes. :psyduck:

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

That can't be true, it just can't. Why would they possibly be rushing trough the content if they have 20+ episodes. :psyduck:

Moon Phase has it listed as 2-cours, although without an exact episode count.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Well, if it's 2-cour, then they're rushing So the Fairy Dance storyline can be done too... Which makes sense I guess, as it ends on a natural stopping point

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I broke down and read the first novel. It was originally made for a contest with 120-page limit but he ended up exceeding it by about 100 pages so he didn't get to enter (from authors notes in the end)

After the first episode stuff the novel skips to floor -74- and goes on to conclude the entire story. There is tons of background information being revealed about the game mechanics in a narrative that really helps.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Quincy80 posted:

Holy Dragon had two dudes with catastrophically retarded looks on their face.

That aside, they listed Holy Dragon as one of the front line guilds earlier in the episode. So how did they lose 15(count confirmed, 2 seperate frames) to 6, without getting any kills?

Is their retardation a plot point or recruitment requirement?

Holy Dragon are strict PvE and advance through overwhelming obstacles with more bodies than other groups. Klein's group runs Battlegrounds on the side for higher level PvP gear that allows them to hit content with fewer people wearing higher level gear. Also Klein's group were out of breath from jumping all over the place and running in circles around the Holy Dragons.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed the first ep and read the novel to see what the whole two years' worth thing was about. Kinda odd to see what amounts to the author writing his own fan fiction, but hell, at least they were all "hey, we're human people, there's something here, let's do something about it" instead of the MC going all "no way we can't blah blah blah" shpiel.

Hilariously awful ep 3 spoiler video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nms3eZGEb3w

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Episode 4 preview is out. Looks like they are doing the beast tamer story. It seems like its going to be all covered in a single episode again.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well I finally got around to watching the third episode, so I thought I would post my thoughts and opinions on the series in general.

I've mostly enjoyed the series so far, but some parts are certainly getting chopped or rushed. The concern I had before the series started seems to be coming true though. That being that in adapting all the side stories from volume 2, as well as the main story, in chronological order, the show is so far coming across as disjointed and seems to be throwing off a lot of anime-only watchers. There was really only one side-story from volume 2(Morning Dew Girl) that could easily fit into the initial storyline, and that one still isn't for a while. As for the time jumps, it looks like the last one will be in episode 7, where the main story picks up. Episodes 4 and 5 are already confirmed as side-stories, and 6 likely will be as well.

Since people seem interested in the story, but frustrated by the show jumping around, I could do a list, by episode, of omitted details, as well as changes of significance, from the original source to try and explain things. Spoiler-tagged of course. Thought I'd see if there was any interest before doing so.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Go ahead, the show doesn't seem to be getting any better with that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Episode 4: Aww, how sweet. And then she was friendzoned.

One of the bandits this time claims that there isn't any proof that getting killed in-game kills you in the real world. I suppose she is right, the videos that Creator Guy showed on the first day may as well have been fabricated. It seems there is no means to actually contact the real world from inside the game, at least.
The only proof that you die in the game, you die for real, available in the game, is indirect in the form of "the nervegear can really kill you" in that if it was possible to remove it and get out that way, nobody would have had to spend 2+ years in the game. Unless it uses Accel World-style acceleration, that is...
(But even though SAO takes place in the same universe as Accel World (right?), it's also many years earlier, so the acceleration stuff probably hasn't been invented.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

This is not in Accel world's universe

the time they spend in game is real world time

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not minding the rushing around too much, I'm still holding hope that the story about rapier girl will be told in a flash back later on when I'm guessing she's reintroduced? She's a little too prominent in the OP to never show up again. It doesn't look like there is any filler and sometimes we don't really need to see every boss battle, watching God of War LP's got tedious even for me and I wasn't even playing.

And Mutta's character/Klein came back in episode three and he's still doing well that's good.

Though the timeskips worry me, I'm hoping there's just so much story that they need to rush this fast but yeah, I can always read the novels.

Is this series not published in North America? You figure with our MMO fixation we would get a kick out of it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I think maybe they could have animated the first novel to get a coherent story out of it, then continue with the side stories? In my head that works somehow.
I'm a bit sad they are rushing it so much, but as long as they stop cutting half the content when it gets to the main storyline I'll keep watching.
Meanwhile I'll continue reading the novels to know what the hell is going on.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is this series not published in North America? You figure with our MMO fixation we would get a kick out of it.
I imagine light novels don't get commercial translations very often because that's a lot of translation to do (relative to manga and anime) for a market that's already saturated with licensed property novels for stuff western audiences have already heard of (Star Wars, etc.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eh, translating novels is a pretty large endeavour, I think that even if anyone has actually made a cost/possible profits calculation it probably turned out to not be worth it.
Getting the anime on Crunchyroll is good enough for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D
Ok so there is a skydome on each floor, like in Tower of God?

• Locked thread