Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Walrusmaster posted:

There's a workaround for this: you can sideload the flash apk and it will function (though not in chrome). Directions are here.

Adobe has stopped supporting flash on all mobile devices though, so you should see fewer and fewer flash sites going forward.

And Linux as of 11.2.
They seem to be pulling their head in. Bit of a nuisance until things like HTML5 and such gain more support. But then i only care about flash for web based video players. Beyond that about all it's used for these days are Facebook games and particularly irritating banner ads. Neither of which I care for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HTML 5 video seems kind of flakey on my N7, if I skip around a few times the controls will just stop responding, though it will keep playing. This may only happen in full screen mode actually.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Got a question regarding videos on the N7.

I converted a bunch of anime videos from *.mkv to *.mp4 formats. When I play them on my N7, it won't switch to landscape mode, instead playing them in portrait. They have the right length/width ratio, but they play with large black spaces above and below the video.

I'm playing them through the "Play movies & TV" app. Is there some reason this is occurring that I don't realize? Maybe some option to toggle it manually that I haven't found? I don't think that would be the case, as it plays the Transformers 3 movie in landscape just fine.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, I've got the loose screen, and it is loose enough that the left edge of the glass is kinda carving up my thumb, and it makes distracting plastic squeeking noises while I read. Has anybody called on this yet? If I could get them to cross ship me a replacement, that'd be awesome, but if it is a "Send it to us and we'll get back to you in a month" then I'll crack the case and try to fix it myself.

Bought from google directly.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Valsu posted:

Got a question regarding videos on the N7.

I converted a bunch of anime videos from *.mkv to *.mp4 formats. When I play them on my N7, it won't switch to landscape mode, instead playing them in portrait. They have the right length/width ratio, but they play with large black spaces above and below the video.

I'm playing them through the "Play movies & TV" app. Is there some reason this is occurring that I don't realize? Maybe some option to toggle it manually that I haven't found? I don't think that would be the case, as it plays the Transformers 3 movie in landscape just fine.
Try MX Player off the market, it's far better than the stock player.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

Soul Glo posted:

I'm sorry, this was from yesterday I think, but is there a link to this wallpaper? I reverse Googled and came up with nothin'.

Thanks for any help.

Looks like Inferno Galaxy Live Wallpaper.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Rohaq posted:

Try MX Player off the market, it's far better than the stock player.

Wow, that did the trick. It even plays my *.mkv files without me having to convert them.
Thanks for saving me from a bunch of raging, dude!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

BunLengthHotDog posted:

possible screen creep fix

This worked on my N7. The left edge was popping up, but just barely... like, we're talking a half-millimeter. Now it's perfect! Took only like 2 minutes.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Polo-Rican posted:

This worked on my N7. The left edge was popping up, but just barely... like, we're talking a half-millimeter. Now it's perfect! Took only like 2 minutes.

I did this and it worked for me as well, for a while. The screen started lifting up again after a day or two so I just emailed Google asking for a replacement. I wasn't too upset about having to perform a simple one time fix, but I'm not going to have to keep adjusting it every few days.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you
Hurray, I managed to buy a Nexus 7 at a Staples in Southern California. As a tip: if the website says low stock, they might have them - If you go into store and they say they are sold out, ask them to check inventory at a different store/that store. While checking for a different location they found out they actually had just gotten 3 and gave me one of them. They really really pushed for that protection plan and a case to be purchased.

So far this is a pretty nice tablet. Compared to the kindle fire it is a great improvement. Compared to the Tf300, it's ... different. I think I like the smaller form factor in general. I still have to load up some comics and pdfs to test out the view, but I think this will work for me.

Now to find a case to protect it from my inevitable dropping it on the floor.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Ok, just ordered my Nexus 7 from Tesco, it should be delivered to a small TESCOExpress just around where I live in Edinburgh. How long will it take? God knows, but I'm excited already.

slide
Jun 23, 2003

lol pandas lolz
For more Socal residents, I bought my N7 on Friday at Macmall in Santa Monica at 9PM. They had 20 and had to find the shipping boxes so I was the first one to buy it from them. If word hasn't spread there should be still some there...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So apparently the Nexus 7 doesn't like HTC chargers.

The stock one is 2A.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 22, 2012

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The stock one is 2A.

you probably have a bad cable or something. I haven't had a problem using my htc charger. A lower amperage would only make it charge slower, not constantly cut out like that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

you probably have a bad cable or something. I haven't had a problem using my htc charger. A lower amperage would only make it charge slower, not constantly cut out like that.

Might be but that same charger works fine for charging my Nexus S and it's cable works fine for USB tethering too. I'm thinking it might just be picky.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
For the people that bought Nexus 7 cases (non-play ones) have any of you got your hands on them to try them out?

alted2
May 3, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The stock one is 2A.

I'm seeing a similar issue. My Nexus 7 won't charge if I plug it into a generic 2 A USB charger. It works fine with supplied charger.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Zarkov Cortez posted:

For the people that bought Nexus 7 cases (non-play ones) have any of you got your hands on them to try them out?

Not yet, but I picked up a simple Case logic laps 7inch one for it. It's a safe bet as it matches my laptop case and will provide all round impact protection, more than just the hard case alone.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

alted2 posted:

I'm seeing a similar issue. My Nexus 7 won't charge if I plug it into a generic 2 A USB charger. It works fine with supplied charger.

Could this be related to the way an iPod requirer (I think) 1000mA and an ordinary charger delivering only 500 mA?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't even unpacked the supplied charger yet. I've been using my Galaxy Nexus and Motorola chargers with it without issues.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Slo-Tek posted:

So, I've got the loose screen, and it is loose enough that the left edge of the glass is kinda carving up my thumb, and it makes distracting plastic squeeking noises while I read. Has anybody called on this yet? If I could get them to cross ship me a replacement, that'd be awesome, but if it is a "Send it to us and we'll get back to you in a month" then I'll crack the case and try to fix it myself.

Bought from google directly.

Give them a call, and apparently they will eventually give you a credit to purchase a new nexus 7 for free. When the new one gets in, you ship back the defective model. That's what they told me last night as I requested a new device because of the screen lifting issue. A bit of a shame since I have really liked everything else about the product.

Edit: I haven't noticed any issue with charging my n7 with my HTC charger.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
So I just got my nexus 7 up and running (purchased at staples). I've got what appears to be a row of bad pixels (I'll attach screenshots soon). I don't want to return it yet but was wondering what the feasibility was of keeping this bad tablet until staples gets more in stock, and buying a new one and then returning this one with the defective screen. How closely will they check model or serial numbers?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

oxsnard posted:

So I just got my nexus 7 up and running (purchased at staples). I've got what appears to be a row of bad pixels (I'll attach screenshots soon). I don't want to return it yet but was wondering what the feasibility was of keeping this bad tablet until staples gets more in stock, and buying a new one and then returning this one with the defective screen. How closely will they check model or serial numbers?

Can't help with the question, but give this a shot:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.chris.blackspotdetect

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Optimus Subprime posted:

Give them a call, and apparently they will eventually give you a credit to purchase a new nexus 7 for free. When the new one gets in, you ship back the defective model. That's what they told me last night as I requested a new device because of the screen lifting issue. A bit of a shame since I have really liked everything else about the product.

Edit: I haven't noticed any issue with charging my n7 with my HTC charger.

Just got off the phone with support and can confirm this is what they did for me as well. I was told that I could wait till I received the new device before I returned the old one. Glad they're not being difficult about this.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Is there any way to play .avi files on the N7 without converting them first?

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
Have you tried typing 'avi player' into the play store? The first thing that comes up works fine.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

jkyuusai posted:

Just got off the phone with support and can confirm this is what they did for me as well. I was told that I could wait till I received the new device before I returned the old one. Glad they're not being difficult about this.

How long were you on the blower? Called the other day and waited 5 minutes on the "Call volume has been high, expect exceptionally long wait times" line, then said eh, it's google, I can e-mail them.

I e-mailed them 2 days ago through the support e-mail, and they have not responded.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

ElProducto posted:

Have you tried typing 'avi player' into the play store? The first thing that comes up works fine.

I havent, sorry. Didn't think it was that easy :sigh:

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Quandary posted:

I havent, sorry. Didn't think it was that easy :sigh:

MX player and BS player are the two favourites.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Slo-Tek posted:

How long were you on the blower? Called the other day and waited 5 minutes on the "Call volume has been high, expect exceptionally long wait times" line, then said eh, it's google, I can e-mail them.

I e-mailed them 2 days ago through the support e-mail, and they have not responded.

Same here but I was on hold for at least 15 minutes before I e-mailed.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well the tablet Facebook app is just as lovely and slow and battery hogging as the phone one. Can anyone recommend a full FB replacement app with a nice tablet layout? Extra thanks if its a twitter/foursquare client too. Thanks

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Slo-Tek posted:

I was anticipating a long wait and was thoroughly surprised to have someone on the line in a little over 5 minutes. Whole call lasted no more than 10-12!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Syrinxx posted:

Well the tablet Facebook app is just as lovely and slow and battery hogging as the phone one. Can anyone recommend a full FB replacement app with a nice tablet layout? Extra thanks if its a twitter/foursquare client too. Thanks

Depends on your tablet. FriendCaster works well tablets and it had a great layout on my CM9 Touchpad. However it uses the regular phone layout on the Nexus 7.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Holy poo poo the news360 app owns.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Depends on your tablet. FriendCaster works well tablets and it had a great layout on my CM9 Touchpad. However it uses the regular phone layout on the Nexus 7.
It's a 10.1" Transformer so it definitely gets tablet layout from apps that support it. I'll check out Friendcaster, thanks

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Also, is there any indication of how many nexus7's have loose screens? Is it like half? 10%? All of them?

Do I need to get this sorted out in less than the 15 day return, or would I be just as well off taking the squeeky one on vacation with me, then getting swapped out in a couple weeks with a different factory run next month?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Syrinxx posted:

Flipbook.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slo-Tek posted:

Also, is there any indication of how many nexus7's have loose screens? Is it like half? 10%? All of them?

Do I need to get this sorted out in less than the 15 day return, or would I be just as well off taking the squeeky one on vacation with me, then getting swapped out in a couple weeks with a different factory run next month?

I think most of them have it, though to varying extents.

If this helps demonstrate the extent of the issue, I'm in the UK and bought one from Currys and it has it too, so it's not US specific and it's not Google Play specific.

Thankfully we have awesome consumer laws here which basically means I can walk back in there any time in the next year and make them change it since it's a product defect. There doesn't seem much point doing it now since it'll probably be the same.

Having said that, mine is not really that bad, it creeps by maybe 1mm. I can push that side of the screen and it moves a bit but only if I deliberately push it. It doesn't happen in normal use so I can live with it just fine until it seems that there is fixed stock available.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Might be tempting fate here, but I haven't noticed the screen problem at all yet. Seems solid.

The only thing that is bugging me about it is the lack of a menu button in favour of this 'overflow' thing. Might be because I'm coming from a 2.2 phone. I never use the app switcher button and a lot of apps don't work very well with the new system.

Edit: I've also found that reading comics on the 7 is fine, though you'll probably have to view them in landscape and scroll rather than at 100% zoom if you're reading .cbrs. Haven't tried Comixology or anything yet.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Might be tempting fate here, but I haven't noticed the screen problem at all yet. Seems solid.

The only thing that is bugging me about it is the lack of a menu button in favour of this 'overflow' thing. Might be because I'm coming from a 2.2 phone. I never use the app switcher button and a lot of apps don't work very well with the new system.

Edit: I've also found that reading comics on the 7 is fine, though you'll probably have to view them in landscape and scroll rather than at 100% zoom if you're reading .cbrs. Haven't tried Comixology or anything yet.

You should train yourself to use the App Switcher button. It's really fast and extremely useful.