Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Blech :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Yep. I will be completely unsurprised when his show gets canceled after one season.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005

smg77 posted:

Yep. I will be completely unsurprised when his show gets canceled after one season.

Do the shows on Saturday morning actually get cancelled? I've never paid attention.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I can't believe Justin won. I was certain the fix was in and that Yvan would win. I actually look forward to seeing his show.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Eh, I don't really get the Justin hate. Sure he's not the best-looking guy in the world (and yes, I'll admit he looks a bit creepy), but he seems to have the skills and creative ideas (though who knows how much FN will constrain those ideas). I'm willing to give the guy a shot.

I would've been happy with Michelle also, but agree with others that she seemed to be limited to seafood dishes. Maybe she'll end up with a spot on Cooking Channel someday.

troll for dollars posted:

Do the shows on Saturday morning actually get cancelled? I've never paid attention.

The winner from last year (Jeff Mauro, I think?) is still on Saturday mornings (Sandwich King), but I don't think he's had any new episodes in a while.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I was hoping for Justin because I think his show will be the most interesting. His creepy looks and lipstick aside.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Does anybody have any info on FN ratings? I'd love to know if Next Food Network Star gets massively better ratings than any show from any of the winners.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

smg77 posted:

Does anybody have any info on FN ratings? I'd love to know if Next Food Network Star gets massively better ratings than any show from any of the winners.

Yeah that's why it's on prime time on Sunday nights and the shows from it are on weekend mornings.

The only hit with a Food Network Star is Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives which is a bit of a fluke.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah that's why it's on prime time on Sunday nights and the shows from it are on weekend mornings.

The only hit with a Food Network Star is Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives which is a bit of a fluke.

That wasn't even his FNS show anyways. He had Guy's Big Bite and like many FN people he got a second, non-cooking show and that one took off.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
And DDD is just a huge rip of Alton's Feasting On Asphalt anyway.

Alton... :sigh: :allears:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
The only thing better than a smug chef on Chopped losing in the appetizer round is a smug chef on Chopped losing in the finals.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Frot Lesnar posted:

The only thing better than a smug chef on Chopped losing in the appetizer round is a smug chef on Chopped losing in the finals.

I honestly think that unless they gently caress up majorly they purposely let the assholes through to the last round for drama's sake.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

axleblaze posted:

That wasn't even his FNS show anyways. He had Guy's Big Bite and like many FN people he got a second, non-cooking show and that one took off.

Yeah, which is what I meant saying it was a fluke (that he ended up hosting it and it was a massive hit, which I'm sure they did not really expect at all).

I only ever watched the first episode of Guy's Big Bite which I remember for having the most bizarre editing and camera angles. There was no kidding a 10 second shot of a lighting rig in the ceiling at one point while Guy was talking about something, no idea what went on there.

Loving Life Partner posted:

And DDD is just a huge rip of Alton's Feasting On Asphalt anyway.

Alton... :sigh: :allears:

I think DDD was actually more based off A Cook's Tour. Anthony Bourdain has talked about one of the reasons he left Food Network was that they were talking about another season, but they wanted it to be just based in the US with less 'weird' food since those episodes rated much higher, which would have been pretty much DDD.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I'm going to prepare the most amazing crow risotto. Way to go Justin, you shiny-faced talking pompadour. May your show be renamed and largely ignored.

And the pretentious chef on Chopped Grillmasters losing to Captain Goatee Dr. BBQ gave me the laffs. That Anne Burrell show that was after it was pretty awful though. Do none of these people know how to properly cook a steak?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Sweet Genius is the zombie movie of cooking competition shows. Its that special kind of terrible that transcends into awesome.

And I'm still pissed Michelle lost FNS. Ivan was milquetoast at best, and Justin made a pilot out of jellied caesar salad, what the gently caress? At least her show had personality, even if all she can cook is seafood.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

quote:

Viewers soon discovered that his rebellious 'tude was a front for a marshmallow interior topped off with pillow-y, rosy lips. (Hence the nickname, Lipsticks.)

quote:

Now, let's see, that just leaves one last question: Justin, what is it with the lipstick? (Not that we want you to stop, mind you. ...)

Claims Justin: "I don’t wear lipstick. On occasion I have chapped, dry lips, and I use lip balm. ... I think something happens between my lips, the camera, and the TV that makes them pop."
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-food-network-star-justin-warner-20120723,0,6851966.story

Creepy "journalism" at it's finest.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004
I don't believe that he doesn't do something to his lips. In photographs his mouth isn't nearly as bright red as it was on FNS.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
This Pioneer Woman show is a cross between Paula Dean and that one mom on your Facebook that posts 400 pictures of their kids every day.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

sba posted:

This Pioneer Woman show is a cross between Paula Dean and that one mom on your Facebook that posts 400 pictures of their kids every day.

I actually like her much more than I like Paula. I have made the vegetarian sandwich from her website which I was shocked I like.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oh god that opening of Top Chef Masters was hysterical. I haven't laughed that hard at Top Chef since Angelo was on the show.

And wedding wars again... ugh...

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I hated that Justin guy when he was on one of the "two teams create restaurants and battle" shows.

I still hate him now.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

No Wave posted:

Oh god that opening of Top Chef Masters was hysterical. I haven't laughed that hard at Top Chef since Angelo was on the show.

And wedding wars again... ugh...

It's so funny to me that they show the Taco Bell Uppity Burrito Bowl commercials during the show... featuring one of the masters :wth:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kerry Heffernan: NYC Chef (????????????)

Also blonde Prince Valiant. I'm too lazy to make a thread but this should be much, much, much better than last season even though there's no Mary Sue Milliken. They've seemed to have eased up quite a bit on the idiotic difficulty of the challenges (ie, they finally listened) and I'm hoping that there won't be too much catering after Wedding Wars, which is sort of obligatory at this point for reasons I can't really understand.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

No Wave posted:

Also blonde Prince Valiant.

I really, really like Cosentino ( :allears: ) so I'm enjoying it.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

This is just spot-on. I've seen same guy in an av around the forums and I'm like 90% sure it's the dumb guy from Coach but what is this from?

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I really, really like Cosentino ( :allears: ) so I'm enjoying it.

His humility/bitchiness is really remarkable. That said, I've got Art to win the whole thing, cake disaster aside.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Christopher Irvine posted:

His humility/bitchiness is really remarkable. That said, I've got Art to win the whole thing, cake disaster aside.
I'm thinking Takashi. I couldn't believe that Art volunteered to do dessert after Masters S1.

And oh god everyone hates Thierry.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 3, 2012

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Christopher Irvine posted:

This is just spot-on. I've seen same guy in an av around the forums and I'm like 90% sure it's the dumb guy from Coach but what is this from?

It's him playing the big dumb guy from the TV miniseries of Stephen King's The Stand.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

M - O - O - N, that spells Tom Cullen.

I'm thinking Takashi as well, though even if I cast away my little Cosentino crush I think he's in it for a while. That I live in SF and still haven't been to Incanto is still a shameful thing. Though I do give Boccalone a good chunk of my money: http://www.boccalone.com/

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

M - O - O - N, that spells Tom Cullen.

I'm thinking Takashi as well, though even if I cast away my little Cosentino crush I think he's in it for a while. That I live in SF and still haven't been to Incanto is still a shameful thing. Though I do give Boccalone a good chunk of my money: http://www.boccalone.com/

I shall eat at Salumi Seattle in your honor.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Apparently the owners of the most recent place on Restaurant Impossible, the Italian Village, stopped paying their webmaster so he's just put bad Yelp reviews up on it.
http://www.ivrestaurant.com/
http://www.thebraiser.com/restaurant-impossible-owner-webmaster/

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Also linked from that article was the top 13 biggest celebrity chef feuds. Perhaps a bit dated by now, but the thought of Martha Stewart trying to pick a fight with Rachael Ray is amusing to say the least.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

iastudent posted:

Also linked from that article was the top 13 biggest celebrity chef feuds. Perhaps a bit dated by now, but the thought of Martha Stewart trying to pick a fight with Rachael Ray is amusing to say the least.

Some of those were interesting actually. The Alton\Man vs Food one was one where I honestly didn't know who to cheer for. Having your mentor tell you you're horrible is just soul crushing :smith:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Moeru posted:

Some of those were interesting actually. The Alton\Man vs Food one was one where I honestly didn't know who to cheer for. Having your mentor tell you you're horrible is just soul crushing :smith:

I was at a presentation/book signing for Alton Brown a year ago and during Q and A someone asked hin what was up with the feud.
His response was something along the lines of, "Feud? What feud? I like the guy".

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Ahhh Food Network, where I can watch Minnie Driver say, "It was absolutely delicious, but I couldn't really find a tiger in there."

yeah I watch cupcake wars, don't judge me

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Tupping Liberty posted:

Ahhh Food Network, where I can watch Minnie Driver say, "It was absolutely delicious, but I couldn't really find a tiger in there."

yeah I watch cupcake wars, don't judge me

I watched it too and spent the entire time laughing at her ridiculous statements.

If even Minnie Driver is too fluff for cupcake wars then you're in trouble.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I've never had an "upscale" cupcake or whatever, but when they show their cupcakes on Cupcake Wars and such shows, they always seem like there's as much buttercream as there is cupcake.

Does anyone actually like that? I'm the guy who's scraping most of his frosting off his cake, so I'm a bad example, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat a massive ball of buttercream atop a cupcake.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I will immediately regret writing a post that says "yes I like frosting" but yes I like frosting. And yet what they show on there is still really gross and way, way too much for me to even consider eating. I can't imagine eating more than one bite out of anything they put on there, even the stuff that actually looks good.

I came actually in just now because I saw you were the last post and, as this is my thread, I set the rules and the agenda so I can laugh at you for being reported for "drunkposting" the other day. :allears:

Don't you EVER get drunk and post about rupaul again, you little scamp.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of dessert trends, is frozen yogurt supposed to be considered one?

We already have 3 shops here (Iowa City) within a 5 mile radius of one another and they're adding a fourth one. :psyduck:

iastudent fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 7, 2012

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Oh girl I don't even remember posting that!

I promise never again. Thank you for sparing me!

Now if only my email and cell phone had one a breathalyzer tube I'd be set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I went on a road trip with some friends a summer or two ago and in Chicago they all wanted to stop at one of those high end cupcake places they knew from the Food Network. I'm not a sweets person (I'm also someone who likes a minimal amount of frosting on my cupcake) and it was like 2 PM on a hot as balls day when we had a ton more planned for the day so I passed but they all ate 1 or 2 of these huge, super rich cupcakes that were just covered in frosting and stuff. Its not that I didn't think they looked tasty, but I was standing there asking them if this was a smart idea.

Sure enough an hour later they all wanted to die and we had to make an emergency return to the hotel for an extended period. It seems like I could eat one of those cupcakes, but I'd need to collapse afterwards like after Thanksgiving Dinner.

The best part was the cupcakes they tried to save for later by putting in the hot car. Its always a fun day with your friends when they're all being dumber than you.

• Locked thread