Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

A Merlin and a Dervish? I've gotta cast my vote for Ox-Head Company!

Land in Zone F together with Yan Company, while Horse-Face Company sets up in Zone G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Ox-head Company to land in Pebble beach. From pebble beach push forward to Mt. Gila, where taking out the power plants will be useful. Ox-head company, due to the jump jets that will greatly increase viability in mountainous terrain.

Yan Company to Potters field. Heavy resistance is expected, but as the assault company, they are the most likely to be able to take the objective. After the starport is taken, surviving units can press on to assist Ox-head and Horse-face in taking Apache Junction.

Horse Face company to the Topside woods. The close quarters of heavy wooded areas will be useful for the Hunchbacks, who will then be able to strike into the city center of Apache Junction.

These aren't my votes yet, but I suggest these as a possibility.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think "stiff resistance" means more like "lotta things to fight there," which can be fun, rather than "picking this means you lose before the start of the game," which is not.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Defiance Industries posted:

I think "stiff resistance" means more like "lotta things to fight there," which can be fun, rather than "picking this means you lose before the start of the game," which is not.

Yea, if this wasn't a start of a campaign I'd say we drop straight onto the mountain and say forget the consequences. However, that might ruin things for players later on.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

That would be my assumption as well, but I don't know that that necessarily rules out anti-aircraft resistance, as long as it doesn't straight up explode the lot off the bat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like the jumpiness of Ox-Head but am not voting yet.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Edit: The Po is a custom Mech correct? Is there a link to it?

Entry #3

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Here's my thoughts for invasion strategy.

A seems like a good target. If we attack here, I'd say we should use one of the heavier, meaner things we have to take it. Once there it would be easier for supplies to get through, so in a long-term sense, it would be pretty smart. It's also close to E, so that would make for very short supply trains. Being a space port, I also imagine they have anti-air weapons making a counterattack via air likely to fail.

B-E seem like they would have to be worked through, so irrelevant for first attacks as far as I'm concerned. We can get to that when we get to that.

If we want to go for an easier route, F is a fair alternative to A. However, succeeding at A means the overall attack is more likely to succeed due to capturing a port rather than open land. I would choose A over F, honestly.

G is close to B, and makes a good jump point, however it's a dangerous drop zone. I would focus troops elsewhere, and go from A to E, then shut down the power before attacking B.

H seems a terrible drop point; nothing is close to it and there is nothing of value to capture/destroy there.

I is even worse than H, the clan's dual heat sinks are a big asset for them in hot terrain, even by reducing ranges the clans can still hit hard and keep fighting without risking heat. If they pack flamers, we would be boned.

J seems a poor choice. Flat open areas are wonderful for clans with their range advantages, and the fact that there's nothing to hide behind hurts as well. I cannot imagine the destruction of farmland will help the attack much at all; I'd bet the clans brought enough food for themselves and collateral damage from this would only hurt the population after the clans are pushed back out.

K is better than J by far; both have heavy opposition but air assets are less useful due to forests. If it was a tossup between K and J, I would drop in K every time.

L borders D, and is an easy, likely uncontested drop. Since D is THE primary target, sending a group down here would be the best idea in my eyes. With another on K, it may case a diversion to be pushed to K, while the main force from L attacks a city that has fewer defenders.

TL;DR: Send Ox-Head to K, send Yan to A, and send Horse to L

Rorac fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 23, 2012

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
These posts have made me a happy man.

:siren:Invasion Analysis and Discussion!:siren:

Alright, so: Hell's Horses like to employ tanks and infantry, and that gives the DC a sizable advantage to employ depending on the terrain we pick to engage on. For starters, tanks are much less mobile in a forest, and useless in a swamp. Conversely, infantry and battlearmor are quite useful in both, thanks to limited line of sight, and are downright murderous in a city.

We also know, in this timeline, that the Clans have brought second-line units along to garrison their holdings, rather than leaving elite troops or nothing. This is good, because it almost ensures our pilots are going to be better than the vast majority of the enemy. Until we reach the main objectives, at least. We have no idea on the composition or numbers of the enemy, and can probably assume we will be outnumbered by the Clans overall on planet, and quite possibly facing pretty similar numbers in individual engagements.

The most vulnerable point on the map appears to be the starport, and taking it, I suspect will do a lot of good for removing aerospace superiority by the Horses, something that the DC don't really have a good answer to. The Capital is a symbol, and they have to hold it. That means leaving good troops (or at least a good number of them) there doing nothing, which is great for our invasion force. Same goes for the other primary objectives.

I'd outright avoid any sort of engagements at all in Kas-Ki-Yeh. Clans have Double Heat Sinks, we don't, and none of the companies available has any really low-heat focus. I also would not land in any of the aerospace-covered areas without first taking the spaceport out of the picture. Aero assets, even against 1/2 pilots, are going to be rough. Backshots hurt, and I'm assuming resupply/repairs will be tough. Taking the factories would be another massive boon; spare parts, ammunition, possibly entire mechs, and the chance to capture Clan designs if they're retooling the lines to produce their own stuff. Who knows!? Possible goldmine, definitely useful resources either way.

As a wonderful coincedence, both of what I'd consider the two most useful objectives are practically side by side. We have the Starport in A, and the factories in B. We also have two excellent attacking forces for each! Yan Company fields a lot of very tough, heavy designs, and a scout unit, and a starport probably has a good bit of cover without being swamped in buildings for infantry to destroy us in. Yan could do great here, it's going to be tough resistance, but taking on one of the hardest fights while we have new machines and before the Clans can redeploy units from all over to defend gives us the best shot at taking the Starport out. Take that out, and I bet they lose most of their aerospace defenses as well.

The Factory complexes at B offer a chance for supplies and possible replacements in what is going to be a tough fight. It's also something we need to get eventually, and it keeps our two main strike forces nearby in case poo poo hits the fan. I'd send Ox-Head into B. Why? Jump jets, motherfucker. Jump Jets win games in cities, and we know we'll have to get into a city there eventually. It's also the next-heaviest unit, and I'd assume will face some stiff opposition on a main objective. Taking B gives the DC a long-term shot at bleeding the Hell's Horses out and taking the planet, plus the aforementioned chances for salvage. But we can't land directly on B, sadly, so we need to come in nearby instead. Mt. Gila seems like a no-go, since we don't want to lose half our poo poo on the drop, and F is a beach that gets us strafed until we secure the spaceport. That leaves G, Topside Woods. Jump Jets also rule in woods, as we saw from the damned Bobcat in the last scenario. The unit makeup isn't ideal here, since we risk ambush, but nothing really will be in an ambush, and Ox-Head is pretty tough and can hopefully outmaneuver the enemy while using JJ's and superior gunnery skills to keep from being surrounded for long if it comes to that.

So then, where do we land our scout/recon company, Horse-Face? That's a tough one. Landing in L, the swamp would be good. We'd be stuck trying to invade the Capitol in short order though, with a light unit. Hunchbacks do own in a city, but I'm not sure they'd manage so well against a command Star of Clanners, or more. Plus, they'd be unsupported by either other unit if poo poo went south. H might be very good to start with, being defensive might help the lightest unit out, and it also leaves it near the other units where support is possible. J is a no-go thanks to aero assets, and really, who cares about farmland. The Clanners will just take whatever food they need by force and let the freebirths starve if it comes to that, even the HH. K seems like a bad bet thanks to heavy patrols and a tough landing. Kas-Ki-Yeh, I, is the only other one that might actually work for the scouts, despite what I said earlier. Knife-fighting range is where Hunchies do best, nothing in the unit is absolutely terrible at heat management, though the Vindicators aren't great. Comes down to risk versus reward for Horse-Face Company I think.

:siren:TL;DR:siren:

Yan Company engages the starport at A. It can best sustain losses, has the toughest mechs, most firepower, and I think we really need to kill the Clans aero superiority ASAP.

Ox-Head Company lands in G, the Topside Woods, in preparation to move into the Factory complex to secure supplies and refit materials for the DC. Or at worst to deny them to the Clans. They can take an ambush and turn it around best thanks to JJ's.

Horse-Face has two "best" options I think. One, land at H, Long Sound. Defensive fighting helps balance the fact that they are the lightest unit, and lets them support the others. Two, land at I, Kas-Ki-Yeh, ignoring my own advice. Four Hunchbacks at knife-fighting range, plus speed in tight quarters, and a minimum of heat issues gives them better odds there than anyone else, and a chance to cripple the HH's power sources. Risk vs. Reward. Personally, I suggest Kas-Ki-Yeh on second thoughts, but I am not voting on anything yet. We need some banter/discussion on this poo poo people!

Holy gently caress did I really just write that many :words: about this?

Also, I'd say play as Yan Company and loving :black101: right on the goddamn spaceport. But, again, I'll wait and see what people argue.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I would vote for Ox Company because JJ-heavy company would be incredibly useful in a protracted war, able to mount hit and run attacks with ease. In addition, while I'm not sure about the other company's landing zones, I can say for sure that my vote for Ox Company's landing zone would be E. More specifically via the dropship coming in for a pass to hot drop the JJ-capable mechs, half the entire company, down on the power plant base. Secure the immediate area, so as to allow the dropship to land and disembark the rest of the company.

I realize this is risky but it also strikes me as being metal as all get out, so hopefully it has some merit.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ox in L. Higher jump jet capabilities will counter the swamp's sucking muck.

Horse in F, with an eye towards taking the port.

Yan in G to support Horse and threaten Apache Junction.

Ox's job will be the hardest, being isolated, so Ox for the PC company.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Something I hadn't really considered: if we can land multiple units in one spot, put Yan and Ox-Head both right onto the Spaceport.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
Horse Company and H landing Zone If we're having 12 pilots then I'm one and I like the idea of piloting at p1g1

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Inferior Cataphracts spotted.

Yan is definitely the assault group, so best for the players to play. It is the primary hammer and as such should move on an objective immediately. And what better objective than to cripple the defenders at the start by hitting E, Mount Gila after landing on F, Pebble Beach

Horse is an infighter company with a couple of skirmishing options. With that in mind they would be a rather good choice to land in I, Kas-Ki-Yeh

Ox-Heab is the most mobile of the three but should land with Horse in I, Kas-Ki-Yeh to support them.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

Let the players control Company Yan and drop them at A. Sure it's going to be tough, but as others have already pointed out Yan is the best unit for the job. Besides, a tough battle should prove entertaining for the thread.

If I'm recalling these 'Mechs correctly, Ox-Head has a good chance of dealing well with the air power that would come their way at F, so I suggest they land there.

As for Horse-Face, I guess they can land at G.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
This is loving rad.

But who was Quintus Allard? And are the Death Commandos (ex, current, both) supposed to be working alongside the Federated Suns' special forces now, since now the Federated Combine is a thing? Because that would be rad and totally badass.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Land Yan at A. Strength for strength. Leaves us in range of the power, as well.
Land Ox at G.Jumping mechs are great in the woods. Leaves us in range of the factories, which is likely a favorable situation for jumping mechs as well.
Land Horse at I. Knife fighting? Bring a Hunchback.
Play as Yan.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Yan Company lands and assaults Potter's Field at A Lack of air support on the way in worries me. Without them granting Safcon, I want those fighters grounded as soon as possible. Hopfully they can use the space port to jump around via drop ship?

Ox-Head lands at the Topside Woods at G The jumpiness will aid in maneuverability in the forest and we need to assault the factories soon.

Horse-Face lands at the Bottomside Woods at K Short lines of sight should aid all the ACs and assaulting the city to the north will be a good next move.

gently caress I) Kas-Ki-Yeh though. That place is a death trap waiting to happen. Hells Horses run a lot of tanks and infantry and that area will favor both, along with high heat which doesn't bother Clanners. Stay away, thar be dragons.

Goons play as Yan

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Artificer posted:

This is loving rad.

But who was Quintus Allard? And are the Death Commandos (ex, current, both) supposed to be working alongside the Federated Suns' special forces now, since now the Federated Combine is a thing? Because that would be rad and totally badass.

Quintus Allard was Hanse Davion's king spook before dying offscreen and was the father of Justin Xiang, who is consort of now Chancellor Romona Liao. Justin hates his dads guts and wants to bring the ruin of House Davion.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
And does anyone know what Yan refers to in this case?

Edit: ^^^^ Ahhh. So in this case Justin Xiang who is the consort of the Crazy Lady would be working against Yorinaga Kurita?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Captain Foo posted:

Land Yan at A. Strength for strength. Leaves us in range of the power, as well.
Land Ox at G.Jumping mechs are great in the woods. Leaves us in range of the factories, which is likely a favorable situation for jumping mechs as well.
Land Horse at I. Knife fighting? Bring a Hunchback.
Play as Yan.

This man knows his stuff. And wrote it in about a million less words than I.

Since everyone's just voting right off the bat, I guess I'll join in too.

Yan lands at A. We play as Yan. Spaceport needs to die!
Ox-Head lands at G. Jumpjets in woods are really really good. Again, look at what that loving Bobcat did to the Goonlance in the last mission. Then attack the city/factory afterwards and do it all over again.
Horse-Face lands at I. Hunchbacks at close range, need I say more?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Yan is what the players should control due to it being the heaviest and containing teh most firepower. It also should be thrown into taking an opjective immedately before the Hell Horse's force wear it down with via ambushes. Which is why it should attack A) Potter’s Field. Our mechs and pilots will not be in better shape for the whole campaign and taking it out will take out clan aerospace formations for the entire campaign.

Ox-Head should land in G) Topside Woods. Their jump capability will help them deal with a potential ambush and this landing zone can easily support and attack on Apache Junction and Mt. Gila.

Horse-Face should land in F) Pebble Beach. This places them in a position where they can easily support Yan or Ox-Head if they encounter heavy resistance and the enemy air force should be occupied due to Yan's attack on the spaceport.

For the Coordinator!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Yan lands at A Potter's Field: Taking the starport severely interrupts Hell's Horse's strategic mobility. We may be able to capture landed dropships and static defenses, including anti-air emplacements. More importantly, Hell's Horses aerospace assets may be based out of Potter's field. Capturing or destroying these assets significantly helps our other companies. Due to the likelihood of heavy defences at Potter's field, Yan's heavy assets will be best used here.

Ox lands at K Bottomside Woods: Ox has a lot of jumpjet capability, which will allow Ox to take and hold the tactical initiative. Heavy woods will interfere with LOS and force the Clans to give up their range advantage. Heavy woods will also interfere with the proportionally larger number of tanks and other vehicles we expect the Hell's Horses to field, as tanks and hovercraft cannot enter heavily forested areas easily. The terrain will also provide cover if Yan is unable to destroy the aerospace opposition, or if they are not based at Potter's Field. Ox will push on C, Sonora. The Hell's Horses will either sally forth from D Chihuahua and attempt to pincer Ox from Sonora, or they will stay entrenched and give up strategic initiative. All of this is intended because:

Horse lands at I Kas-Ki-Yeh: Horse sets down in the badlands to push on C, Sonora from the other direction. Clan forces based at Sonora must choose between pincering Ox in Bottomside, or turning about to face Horse at Kas-Ki-Yeh. Either way, they are pincered, and taking Sonora is made easier. If Horse takes Sonora, Ox has the jumpjets to evade, bypass, and regroup with Horse in Sonora. If Horse is unsuccessful, Horse has a lot of space to fall back into. If Ox takes Sonora, Horse can squeeze any remaining opposition between itself and Ox. In theory the Clans have a heatsink advantage here, but Horse is packing a lot of ballistic weaponry, and perhaps even some of the new heatsinks. Four Hunchbacks make any unwary Clanner full of very dangerous holes. The terrain also reduces the Clan range advantage.

Goonlance plays as Ox: I rely on Yan's heavy assets to carry the day at Potter's Field. Horse has a lot of room to fall back, and the Horses may not respond to them immediately or at all. Ox is most at risk, but has the most tools to make the best of a situation gone wrong. Properly managed, Goonlance will pull off Ox's mission, and join Horse in fortifying Sonora against an inevitable Clan counter-attack from Chihuahua.

Next Moves: Yan pushes on E Mt. Gila to compromise the generators.

A:
Once this is done, Yan loots the spaceport, destroying any Horses lift capacity left behind. They redeploy to L Mosquito to hit Chihuahua in the rear while the Horses are dealing with the situation Horse an Ox have created around Sonora.

Horse and Ox defend Sonora and set up their base of operation. Ox continues to harass or destroy Clan probes in Bottomside. Ox and Horse coordinate with Yan to hit Chihuahua as hard and fast as possible. Ox has the jets to get through the pass, skirmishing in the Clan backfield while Horse's heavy guns press the front. Yan is the anvil at the back door. Afterward, everyone drops on Apache Junction to finish.

B:
Ox is left to defend Sonora, using their jumpjets to make the city an urban nightmare. Horse stays in Sonora or deploys with Yan against Apache Junction at B. Afterward, the plan proceeds as before at A. This largely depends on what and where opposition turns out to be.

I'd like to note that there does not appar to be a land passage between B Apache Junction and G Topside Woods. I've planned around this unless PTN says something to the contrary.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 23, 2012

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Despite my vote for it, dropping anything into sector I is a risky move. Yes, hunchbacks are elite knife-fighters, but it's a high-variance scenario. If the ex-Death forces can survive TO the knife fight, I think the situation favors them. But getting there might prove difficult.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'd also like to say that there will likely be no confusion whatsoever amongst the thread as our units Horse and Ox fight against the Hell's Horses.

VV Edit: I'm mostly kidding, I think people will manage fine, it just struck me as kinda funny.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 23, 2012

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Maybe we could rename Horse Company to Ma, and Ox to Niao? (Or however you anglicize those.)

vvv Thanks. I am absolutely terrible at the accents.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 23, 2012

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

LeschNyhan posted:

Maybe we could rename Horse Company to Ma, and Ox to Niao? (Or however you anglicize those.)

Ma and Niu.

Niao would be bird, no?

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
Drop Yan on A
Ox on G
Horse Face on I

Goons should play as Yan

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Yan Company should attempt to take the spaceport at A first, because spaceports a generally a bad thing to leave alone. They might face heavy resistance, but they are the company best suited to a frontal assault.

Ox-Head Company should test the concept of "nearly impossible" and land directly on Mt. Gila at E. The power plants seem like they would very important. Plus, who's going to expect a company of 'Mechs to land directly into a goddamn volcano? Not the Hell's Horses, that's who. It's a suicide mission anyways.

Horse-Face Company should land in G, the Topside Woods. Using the forests should help to nullify the Clan's range advantages and allow them to use all of those AC/20's. Plus, it gives the Death Commandos a foothold on the other continent.

The goons should play as Ox-Head Company and try to push as many Clanners into an active volcano as possible.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Question: Does F abut both A and B? Pretty important strategic question. Edit: it does not, per PTN below.

Others have done a great job with tactical thinking, but here's my attempt to address strategic planning.

Yan (Goons) land at F
Ox land at G
Horse lands at K

The strategic-level plan here is to spread the defensive forces thin, more or less like pinning in chess. Location A and F each threaten two critical regions. Landing the heavies at F will provide the most concentrated firepower threatening two important locations-- the starport and factories powerplant.

Dropping our fast jumpers from Ox in the woods again threatens B but plays an even important more important role of bisecting the continents. If it's an excellent ambush location, that will be our choke to prevent reinforcement of the eastern island.

Honestly, the Horse being well-rounded, they're placed at K to provide a diversion. Threatening two major locations, one of them the planetary capital which presumably houses critical government departments and military coordination centers. Even if they don't attack initially, they provide a critical threat to paralyze part of the defensive forces. We cannot let this be the Battle of Tukayyid for IS. If planetary defense tries to pincer them from both C and D, Horse needs only be evade in and around the woods.

Once dropped in, Yan and Ox from F and G, respectively, would first hit B and sweep clockwise around the east island while Horse sits at K. Taking A first is an attractive target, and therefore probably the best defended one. Concentrating forces to hit targets one by one seems like the best strategy. Once the east is under control, depending on how transportation works, the starport would allow lifting from E to J or the remaining forces to complete the circle at F and begin heading through G -> I. This puts the pincer on city C in concert with the Horse. D, the capital, comes last once everything else is crippled or under control.

Edit: F does not threaten A, though this shouldn't change the strategic picture too much. F still is one move away from the factories at C and the powerplant at E; as such, it can still be put in play to pin defensive forces at multiple locations.

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rivensteel posted:

Question: Does F abut both A and B? Pretty important strategic question. Others have done a great job with tactical thinking, but here's my attempt to address strategic planning.

A only borders E

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

A only borders E

What about G and B? It looks like a water passage.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Question for PTN before thinking about this further: Are we prohibited from voting for units to land in the same zone?

Anyway, while waiting for that answer, this scenario and campaign looks like it'll be great fun. I'm sad the Falcon Guards don't get to fall into a trap and get butchered strut their stuff, but this was a good compromise. Should be interesting to see how pilots deal with the varying terrain mixes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

What about G and B? It looks like a water passage.

You can cross, I was keeping that open. Plus, you can ferry companies to controlled zones with dropships.

GenericServices posted:

Question for PTN before thinking about this further: Are we prohibited from voting for units to land in the same zone?

You can stack them up, but remember that gives the Clans more time to react to you you bandit-cast scum you!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
TL:DR version

YUAN and OXHEAD drop into A and assaults

HORSE-FACE drops into G and defends

Goons play YUAN

Basic idea is to capture A and B while using Horseface to stop the hells horses from helping their clan buddies out.

Long wordy version:

SITUATION:

Clan Hells Horses have occupied the planet. 5 strategic objectives have been identified:

Potters Field (Alpha)
Apace Junction (Bravo)
The Dales (Juliett)
Sonora (Charlie)
Chihuahua (Delta)

All these objectives must be secured to liberate the planet. It is anticipated that
OPFOR is positioned to defend these objectives. Planetry power installations are located at Mt Gila (ECHO), and may be secured. Intelligence has not sighted defenders.

Enemy patrols have been sighted at Bottomside Woods (Kilo).

Enemy Aerospace assets have been identified based out of ALPHA.

No Enemy Naval or Space assets have been identified.

COMMANDERS INTENT:

YUAN and OXHEAD will assault objective Alpha then objective Bravo. YUAN and OXHEAD actual may seize E if the situation on the ground presents the oppotunity. These objectives should give us a logistics base. YUAN and OXHEAD should attempt to salvage any equipment than can be reused in our operations or provided to intelligence.

While YUAN and OXHEAD capture Alpha and Bravo HORSEFACE will prevent reinforcement of the objectives by holding GOLF. The objective is to hold off clanner reinforcements until ALPHA and BRAVO can be secured. HORSEFACE should exercise initiative in determining what are the best defensive positions.

Once Alpha and Bravo are captured, we can regroup at the defensive position in GOLF prior to rolling up the remaining clanner positions with a concentrated force.

STAGE 1 MISSION:

Companies YUAN and OXHEAD will assault and secure the industrial and logistics centres in Potters Field (ALPHA) and Apache Junction (BRAVO). These facilities must be secured intact as they will form foundational capabilities of our logistics for this operation.

One both objectives are captured YUAN and OXHEAD will conduct salvage operations and determine what assets can be re-purposed. Garrison duties will be handed off to infantry units.

Company HORSE-FACE will conduct a screening operation to prevent OPFOR from reinforcing objectives ALPHA and BRAVO at PHASELINE ADAM in Topside Woods (GOLF). HORSE-FACE Actual may use his own initiative in positioning his forces on or about PHASELINE ADAM and may extend his operations into Long Sound (HOTEL) and Kas-Ki-Yeh (INDIA) on his own initiative.

HORSE-FACE should expect a counter-attack and may dig in at PHASELINE ADAM. Any available engineering assets will be routed to HORSE-FACE.

YUAN should join HORSEFACE at PHASELINE ADAM as soon as feasible after securing ALPHA and BRAVO.

OXHEAD join HORSE-FACE at PHASELINE ADAM in GOLF after securing ALPHA and BRAVO and have salvaged any equipment they are able to.

Commanders are warned that OPFOR knows we are in system and will be preparing.

STAGE 1 SUPPORT MISSIONS:

YUAN and OXHEAD have priority on all support assets (Fire, Recon and Aerospace).

Engineering assets (e.g. Mines) should be used to support HORSEFACE.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 23, 2012

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
Yan into A: hurting their air/supply can only help us
Niu into F: and then sprint (no walking, no running) into B
Ma into G: Ambush their reinforcements

Drive Yan -- because big mechs are fun!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can stack them up, but remember that gives the Clans more time to react to you you bandit-cast scum you!

Thanks!

The primary objectives on the planet are listed as B, C, and D, the cities. Landing zone K is adjacent to two of those, so placing the bulk of our forces there gives us the most flexibility. I would recommend that both Ox and Horse-Face land in K) Bottomside Woods. Both of these units contain many jump-capable 'Mechs, and the Hunchbacks in Horse will benefit nicely from the shortened sight-lines in a forest. Once grounded, the units can either combine to smash one city then the next in sequence, or strike both targets simultaneously, as the situation dictates.

Meanwhile, Yan should land in E) Mt. Gila. Yan is the strongest individual company and stands the greatest chance of surviving on its own. As such, it can attempt to cripple the planetary power-grid, hopefully without much loss, before all three companies hit the cities in immediately after they've cleared their landing zones. The spaceport is nice, but forest, mountainous, and urban terrain should shield units from most aerospace attacks (though possibly not all) and, if we take control of C and D, those forces can be ferried in to assist in a follow-up assault on A if needed.

As the most isolated force, I would recommend that players control Yan. Yan looks to have the nastiest landing in store, and it'll be important for players to be able to oversee the situation to ensure nothing untoward happens to our heaviest assets.

Adam500
Mar 27, 2010
We should play as Yan and land in A because :black101:

Horse should land in J and Ox should land in [b]I/b].

Sort of feels right.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

We are death commandos
We shall play as Yan
Yan shall deploy to A and shatter their aerospace.
Ox shall deploy to K and engage to sonora
Horse shall deploy to I and provoke the enemy. A forced knife fight is to our advantage with superior pilots and shorter range weaponry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Although both major cities on the larger western continent are objectives, it seems like the greatest concentration of potential assets is on the eastern island. I agree with those suggesting the starport as the most important immediate objective, and Yan seems like the people to do it. That said, I'm still holding off on my vote until we've had some more discussion.

Concentrating everybody on taking the eastern objectives seems like the fastest way to get a leg up on the campaign, but I'm concerned that we'll have a difficult time transitioning our forces to the west if we give the clanners an opportunity to respond before we have a foothold there. Perhaps have Yan land for a direct assault on the starport while Ox drops onto Pebble Beach. Assuming Yan cleans up the port, they could launch a pincer attack into the power plants, and Ox's jump jets should be valuable in the likely rough terrain. Alternatively, being largely elite pilots in jump-capable mechs, they may be able to thumb their noses at a 'nearly impossible' drop and go for a hot landing right into the volcanic factory. Both scenarios would be absolutely bitchin' for the players to control.

That leaves Horse. They could just land with Yan and make damned sure we get the starport quickly, which might actually be my suggestion, but we could also have some faith in the other two companies to accomplish their missions and have them establish a beachhead on the west. My only concern would be them being overwhelmed without any available support.

In any case, I still feel like our first objectives are to secure the starport, power plant, and factories on the East and consolidate our control of the island. Secondary to that would be establishing a foothold on the west.

Afterthought: drop Ox company to go marauding through the western continent. Their objective would not be to secure anything or participate in any pitched battles as yet; simply to occupy as many of the clan forces as possible while also getting a sense of their dispositions. Have Horse land at Pebble Beach in their stead. Their Hunchbacks would likely make them very valuable for infighting while taking the factories in the city after the other two objectives on the east have been taken.

Well, those are my first thoughts anyhow. Oh boy, I sure do love grand strategy.

Question: Can we land in one location and attack to another adjacent area on the same turn if the landing is not immediately opposed?

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 23, 2012

• Locked thread