Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Miltank posted:

I really like this one. Is the reason its bad is because it hijacks a black pride slogan in order to sell slacks?
Pretty much. I don't personally find it as offensive as the others but I'm not a POC so it's not my place to judge.

SombreroAgnew posted:

This woman looks like she's about to cry.
Makes you wonder what the situation was when that picture was taken.

I don't know how anyone can look at that and not say that American Apparel Ads are sexually exploitative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Great write up, just a few things--

ArchangeI posted:

Now for what you wrote: Meinhof wasn't "turned in", she was captured when she went shopping for clothes and a clerk noticed a gun in her bag. A short time later, Baader and Enslin were also captured. The three were kept separate during their initial trial, a common practice in trials involving several accused to prevent them from coordinating their defense. The RAF claimed this to be torture by isolation (Isolationsfolter), and demanded to be treated as POWs. They were somewhat successful, and the isolation was lessened to a great degree, allowing them to freely talk and interact during daytime. Naturally, the RAF kept that secret.

It was actually Ensslin that was arrested when she was out shopping. Meinhof was arrested after her whereabouts were tipped off to the police by a kind of hostel owner. Baader was arrested during a long shootout against half of the Frankfurt police force.

quote:

During the trial, there appears to have been a falling out between Baader/Enslin and Meinhof. The former accused the latter of not being sufficiently revolutionary, which may have caused her to commit suicide by hanging herself in her cell.
Baader and Ensslin never really "liked" Meinhof all that much. Ulrike had been a kind of admirer of the German anarchist and Vietnam war critich Rudy Dutschke (who was shot in the head by a neo-conservative, an event that proved pivotal in the rise of West German leftism). She was a very prominent writer with left wing tendencies (including a famously scathing critique of the wife of the Shah of Iran) who eventually started 'hanging out' with the Baader-Ensslin crowd. The couple eventually turned to Ulrike's help when Baader was first jailed for stealing a car and Meinhof was the one that used her journalistic connections to plan Baader's escape from custody (she set up a fake interview with him at a library, and in the middle of it the RAF gang rushed in and overpowered the officers guarding Andreas).

In May of 1972 Meinhof once again used contact to plant a bomb in the conservative news group Axel Springer's office. While she made sure to call in the bomb threat, emergency services didn't take it seriously and the bomb ended up injuring 17 workers (proletariat, if you will). In prison, Baader and Ensslin hung the fact that she had dirtied the RAF name with the maiming of innocent workers of Germany and many believe that she hanged herself because of this.

While the moniker bears her name, Ulrike Meinhof could hardly be called a leader of the Red Army Faction. Baader and Ensslin were the true revolutionaries, while their lawyer Horst Mahler was who made everything run smooth (he even organized a vacation to the West Bank to train with PFLP fighters). Little more than petty criminals, the first generation still made the largest impact. The second generation was mostly friends of Baader and Ensslin, and they were the ones who made the RAF a household name around the world (with one of the more infamous hijackings of the 70s).

The third generation were possibly some of the greatest practitioners of revolutionary terrorism. They were the ones who went after big government and big bankers. The Schleyer raid was pulled off with military precision as Hans Schleyer had a pretty big security detail. The murder of Deutsche Bank chairman Alfred Herrhausen (assisted by the GDR Stasi) was most impressive--

"On the morning of November 30, 1989, Alfred Herrhausen was being chauffeured in an armor-plated Mercedes through Bad Homburg on his way to the Deutsche Bank towers in Frankfurt. His vehicle was the second in a three-car convoy, with bodyguards riding ahead and behind. It was then that the Red Army struck with a precision IED, their most spectacular terrorist attack. The RAF planned their attack well, planting their bomb in a satchel on a bicycle parked beside the route. The bomb was linked to an infrared beam, which terrorists posing as workmen had set up across the road. The terrorists allowed the lead car through, and then activated the beam. When Herrhausen’s car broke the beam, the bomb went off. It consisted of ten kilos of explosive and a two-kilo copper plate, aimed so that it would strike the passenger seat.The metal pierced the armored limo and Herrhausen was wounded in the legs; he bled to death shortly afterwards, before medical assistance arrived. His driver was severely wounded. "

Cjones fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 22, 2012

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Defenestration posted:

Pretty much. I don't personally find it as offensive as the others but I'm not a POC so it's not my place to judge.

Perhaps because it's not as offensive as the others? Being white doesn't remove your ability to see that a pun is not near as bad as a gang-rape ad, or this ad:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

If anyone has some concrete evidence for any variation of the "Asian fellow gets captured by Soviets, sent to France by Germans, and then caught by Americans during the operations in Normandy" please I would like to see it, I honestly have been looking for a while.

It isn't quite the same story, but your request did remind me of an autobiographical comic drawn by a Japanese soldier who was taken prisoner by the Russians and spent WWII traveling West and eventually ending up in a POW camp in Ukraine:

You can read his whole story and see his illustrations at this multilingual site

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Hahaha Christ, they literally repurposed the picture from the Army's Future Force Warrior project to hype this guy. All they did is photoshop the gun out of his hand, NSC off his helmet, and the flag off his bicep. Shoulder emblem is the same and everything.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 22, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
She looks like she is about to cry, what is sexy about that?

Speaking of disturbed faces, here are some soldiers with face shots taken, before, between, and after 2 tours

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh old magazines :allears:

And you thought people were crazy today

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

What's the story behind that image?

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
Can we get a megarule or something that forces everyone to, at least, briefly describe the context of the pictures they post?

Like so:

Occupy protesters being abused by police.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Spatial posted:

What's the story behind that image?

quote:

Palestinians run as a rocket falls at them during an Israeli air strike on the Hamas Executive Force building in Nusseirat refugee camp in the centre of the Gaza strip, Friday. Warplanes pounded the Gaza Strip for a ninth day as Palestinians continued to fire rockets into Israel despite a call from Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas for a truce.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

A Palestinian refugee camp in Damascus. I post this only because a shocking number of people imagine they live in tents.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I always thought a lot of them lived in clusters of buildings that the Quakers helped set up and were further built up over the years

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

These pictures are taken from the Congo Free State, an African country controlled by Belgium in the late 19th century. King Leopold II used the Congo Free State to profit off of several resources, most notably, rubber. Slavery was the main source of labor, and soldiers were used to enforce rubber quotas. The punishment for not meeting these quotas was death, with the soldiers later removing the hands to prove that they had killed someone. However, some soldiers would simply cut off a person's hand while they were still alive, probably to save on ammunition. It is estimated that during the existence of the Congo Free State, between 5 and 20 million people were killed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
And here is a monument to Leopold II:

"I have undertaken the work in Congo in the interest of civilisation and for the good of Belgium."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fluoride Jones posted:

However, some soldiers would simply cut off a person's hand while they were still alive, probably to save on ammunition.

To expand on this, soldiers were required to account for their ammunition by bringing back a hand for each bullet fired. Belgian soldiers would hunt for food or sport, and then attack Congolese people to take their hands.

Whipping scars on an American slave, 1863:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Police kill a man in Anaheim then shoot at innocent bystanders protesting the murder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MST4RhWdlMQ

I miss the cops on the beat threads :(

also:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 22, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Allegedly a few of Mitt Romney's new fake twitter friends.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

ekuNNN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MST4RhWdlMQ

I miss the cops on the beat threads :(

:wtc:

No really, what the gently caress. Police open fire with rubber bullets near point blank and release dogs on women and children who were protesting and demanding answers for the fact the police earlier had shot dead a man who everyone who witnessed the events said there was no reason for the police to open fire. And basically no one gives a poo poo because this happens constantly.

Well, more on shooting:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm done, I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not that I was a good football coach"

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof
Long live pictures thread!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Kurtofan posted:

And here is a monument to Leopold II:

"I have undertaken the work in Congo in the interest of civilisation and for the good of Belgium."

Wait, hold up, I thought this was the Leopold II monument:

The suggested LeoII monument per Mark Twain in his 1905 King Leopold's Soliloquy. http://msuweb.montclair.edu/~furrg/i2l/kls.html

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Wait, hold up, I thought this was the Leopold II monument:

The suggested LeoII monument per Mark Twain in his 1905 King Leopold's Soliloquy. http://msuweb.montclair.edu/~furrg/i2l/kls.html

:drat:
mark twain once again laying down the ownage.

African colonialism.jpg

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

U.S. imperialism out of Africa!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

What is the context here?

Content:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^^^^^^Brevik

This video is a good example of the state of the Russian army. I don't even know how they could fit so many people in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACxB0bIK8ps

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

To be replaced, of course, with Chinese imperialism.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANj4Klx3v-4

Johnny Cash singing about the working man beating the poo poo out of his boss.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sir John Falstaff posted:

To be replaced, of course, with Chinese imperialism.

china needs that sweet sweet oil.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The African Renaissance statue in Senegal, built in the social realist manner by north Korean artists. There's a bit of controversy surrounding it, not the least because the people don't actually look like Africans.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Humboldt squid posted:

The African Renaissance statue in Senegal, built in the social realist manner by north Korean artists. There's a bit of controversy surrounding it, not the least because the people don't actually look like Africans.

Classic; very reminiscent of the heydey of Soviet monument building, which is hardly surprising if it was North Koreans who made that.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

syntaxrigger posted:

What is the context here?

Content:

The victims of the 2011 bombing and shooting in Oslo and Utøya I presume.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm done, I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not that I was a good football coach"

A powerful message flies over Penn State in very certain terms.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

mugrim posted:

A powerful message flies over Penn State in very certain terms.

Good riddance.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
How are Penn State's students/alumni/whatever reacting to the removal of the statue?

To contribute, some Falange/Francoist propaganda posters:

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

"It's natural to doubt and to question. Though sometimes difficult it is part of human nature, and a foundation of science and scientific enquiry."

Actually gently caress this whole image. The assumption that an undergraduate male's entire worth is denoted by how often he has sexual intercourse is atrocious.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

This was painted over and later replaced by this:

• Locked thread