Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Anjow posted:

Pay rise! Now I'm on nearly double what I was 18 months ago.

:hfive: Congrats pay raise buddy! I think I mentioned it before either here or another thread but I've been working contract for a company in town, and they offered me full time permanent employment about 2 weeks ago. The big surprise was going from $18/hour as contractor to almost $23/hour as a full time employee, on top of a pretty great benefits package. Plus it's close to the downtown area, which is usually pretty packed on Fridays and Saturdays, and I'm looking around for some decent places closer to work so I don't have to make a 30+ minute commute one way to work, save myself some gas and travel time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Because of a traumatic experience a couple of years ago, I get PTSD flashbacks when I use guns in a video game (I'm fine with other people/enemies using them, but I get edgy and shaky when I "see" myself using one) which as you can imagine, cuts my gaming library down to...fantasy RPGs, puzzle/adventure games and melee only runs of games that aren't really designed to be played that way. A friend of mine heard about this and told me that it must suck to be so restricted in my choices for a reason I genuinely have no control over.

I wake up today and he bought me the Batman collection in the Steam sale with the message "The goddamn Batman doesn't need any guns, neither do you. You deserve a good game just as much as anyone else. Enjoy." :3:

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
My lupus flare and the depression it brought finally broke and skittered away as I slept last night. I woke up at 4 a.m. refreshed and interested in everything. I don't feel like self-medicating by taking more weed than I am prescribed. I feel like doing things and talking to people. I feel like working. I feel like living. A month and a half of hoping that I die in my sleep and waking up alive and disappointed, all over and done with.

Convenient timing - my husband and I decided that since our 10th wedding anniversary was Friday and we spent most of the day trying to figure out if any of our friends had been shot (none had, everyone was either going to other theaters or had tickets for that exact screening but miraculously stayed home due to various fuddy-duddyness), we should have a do-over today. Not only do I feel refreshed and energetic and alive, but I get to celebrate with my husband.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I finally had a talk with my dad about his drinking and how it affects the rest of the family. :unsmith: He promised he'd try to cut back on it. It's not much, but it's a start.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
So, today I had my first day of Tax Return volunteering. It went pretty well - I really enjoyed it! There's only about five of us doing this, and I suspected it was only five who applied for the position.

Not quite. Fourty five students applied for this position (I just found out after my first session). And this was from all of the business faculty - only another girl and I were only accountancy students to get this position.

:stare:

I feel incredibly fortunate to have been offered this position.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Faerie Fortune posted:

I wake up today and he bought me the Batman collection in the Steam sale with the message "The goddamn Batman doesn't need any guns, neither do you. You deserve a good game just as much as anyone else. Enjoy." :3:

My day's awesome because I read this.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I went shopping and bought some new shirts that I really like, and a fro-yo! :)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I went to the video store yesterday with the intention of renting a game and a flick. So I grabbed Wanderlust and head over to the video game section. I was planning on renting The Darkness II, and saw that you could outright buy the game for 10 bucks. Now its $4 to rent it for two nights, and the game isn't even that old, or bad.

So I grab it and take it to the counter, where the clerk tells me I have $20 credited to my account. No one knew why, and the manager couldn't tell why either. So I get the game and the movie and they handed me $7.

I got paid $7 to get a free video game.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My day's awesome because I read this.

My day is awesome because this boy right here ^^^^ makes everything in my life better. He's my one true love and cheers me up when things are lovely. I can't wait til August 4th when we make an 11 hour drive to our new home together and get to spend the rest of our lives together :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

jennyinstereo posted:

My day is awesome because this boy right here ^^^^ makes everything in my life better. He's my one true love and cheers me up when things are lovely. I can't wait til August 4th when we make an 11 hour drive to our new home together and get to spend the rest of our lives together :allears:

You are so wonderful, and you consistently make my days truly awesome. My earlier post was simply referring to how 'extra' awesome it was to read what that guy/girl said.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had a little art raffle and people from over 20 different countries entered. For some reason I think that's insanely encouraging. Someone in Lithuania thinks I am "so cool"! :haw:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I got my friend whose parents never let her get a video game system when she was growing up Magicka on Steam, now she's addicted and we're playing games co-op together. :3:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

My day is awesome because I just got an e-mail informing me that I have been given an extra week of vacation this year, where before I was rationing my days out to make sure I can get all my trips in now I have to sit around and make up more trips!!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I finally had a talk with my dad about his drinking and how it affects the rest of the family. :unsmith: He promised he'd try to cut back on it. It's not much, but it's a start.

I take my hat off to you, that must have taken a lot of courage.

My day was awesome because I put an offer in for a house and got it accepted! So I am going to be a homeowner! Of a place that's bigger than my current one, but mortgage payments will be less than my rent!

Also because my mummy sends me care packages to where I work every Tuesday containing miscellanea such as little toys, chocolate, and a card with a nice message in it. I am not sure it is befitting of a 26 year old network engineer to be receiving them, but I love it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The cute, nerdy girl in IT asked me to lunch today for the first time ever. It wasn't much, just buying some food and sitting down to eat it, but it made me happy.

Anjow posted:

Also because my mummy sends me care packages to where I work every Tuesday containing miscellanea such as little toys, chocolate, and a card with a nice message in it. I am not sure it is befitting of a 26 year old network engineer to be receiving them, but I love it.

You could be a forty-year old biker with muscles, tattoos, and a machine gun but if your mother sends you care packages (especially with chocolates), you treasure that poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The cute, nerdy girl in IT asked me to lunch today for the first time ever. It wasn't much, just buying some food and sitting down to eat it, but it made me happy.

You never know, this could lead to more! Congrats! (wait, were you looking, or is it just flattering?)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just got my high level security clearance approved, which means I go from jobs making $11-14 an hour to $20 with steady raises (unionized) and all the hours I could possibly want.

I've never made more than $15 an hour and I'm in my early 30s. Suddenly things like having children or living in more than 600 sq feet are a possibility. Crazy.

This is what it must've felt like to be a baby boomer. :v:

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Soooo my roommate that ive known for two years, lived together for 7 months now admitted she had feelings for me, I admitted I had thoughts about her too. She hasnt been in a relationship in 5 years, me 2 (we live in a tiny town). We have two other people in this house, another couple, and their baby (we're the godparents to the baby)

This is gonna be hard and confusing and scary but we cuddled on the couch until 2 a.m. last night, and that was pretty awesome.

Plus her 5 years have made her retardedly horney :x

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Deep Winter posted:

Soooo my roommate that ive known for two years, lived together for 7 months now admitted she had feelings for me, I admitted I had thoughts about her too. She hasnt been in a relationship in 5 years, me 2 (we live in a tiny town). We have two other people in this house, another couple, and their baby (we're the godparents to the baby)

This is gonna be hard and confusing and scary but we cuddled on the couch until 2 a.m. last night, and that was pretty awesome.

Plus her 5 years have made her retardedly horney :x

High five, scary-and-confusing-but-awesome girlfriend buddy!

Also, my Boy Meets World complete DVD collection just shipped :slick:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I finally got my room mate less than a month before school starts. He's a total dork too and we even already have mutual friends. :toot:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Today at Musikfest, a local music festival, my friends and I were walking along and spotted this religious guy shouting on a megaphone on a street corner. He was spouting the typical stuff about how we're all fornicators and homosexual deviants bound to burn in a lake of fire and whatnot. Most people are just walking by, but a few are stopping to gawk at the dude.

A jazz player comes out of the hotel nearby and starts to play a bright red plastic trombone over the preacher's rant. Every time the preacher starts to utter a sentence he played a blast from his trombone. This goes on for a good ten minutes, after which point the jazz player goes back in doors, presumably to resume his scheduled band duties. Preaching guy goes back to damning us all to hell.

A few minutes later the jazz player emerges again, but this time he has all his buddies with him. They've all got instruments and march towards the preaching guy and setup a few feet away from him. The band strikes up and impromptu show and gathers quite a crowd. At this point everyone is facing the jazz band and no one is even looking at the preaching guy. Preacher eventually shuts up and watches the show as well.

I just thought it was a great heartwarming moment where everyone ignored the hateful stuff spewed out by the preacher and just simply joined together to enjoy good music.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Today I spent eight hours in a go-nowhere meeting with a customer, and ended up pretty knackered and bummed out.

Got on Skype to update my boss - our company's director, an ex Soviet rocket scientist - and without fishing for it she said that my negotiations with another customer yesterday were "incredible".

I'm new-ish to this kind of professional work, and the negotiations we had were the hardest I'd ever had (to win them would have earned us more custom and saved us money). I'm a consultant, so these kind of negotiations are my responsibility and my official role.

A genuine rocket scientist said my work was incredible! :D

EddieDean has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Aug 8, 2012

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Today I got called back for a second interview at a dream job of mine! :dance:

I dunno if I want to talk about exactly where and what, but I'll say this: I'd get paid to play video games, and it's not a game tester position, nor a scam of any kind.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My friend asked me if I wanted his red ringed 360 for free, so I took it and I fixed it by opening it up, reseating the GPU and putting new thermal paste on. :toot: Free 360 bitches.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
After a year and a half of taking horse riding lessons, I finally got proper riding gear.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I don't eat much in the way of junk food and such nowadays, so in the past couple months I've dropped a good amount of weight (almost 20 pounds so far). I went to the store earlier, and on the shelf I spotted these bad boys:

The willpower was weak, and dear sweet baby Jesus in a crunk bassinet are they delicious. I feel like someone at Nabisco is reading my mind and I don't know if I should be scared or grateful.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I posted a small bart in the image macros thread and got away with it, while several people who quoted it got probated. :unsmith:

edit: d'oh, I got banned. Oh well. How about having a fuzzy warm feeling that I donated ten dollars to my favourite website :unsmith:

Zedsdeadbaby has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Aug 19, 2012

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I saw my buddy's new apartment, and it was my first big anniversary with my girlfriend, so we went to lunch, saw Hope Springs, then got dressed up all fancy and went out for dinner. It was a good day :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I got tethering activated by my stupid cell provider and now can use my phone data plan and laptop to waste my horrible 6pm to 6am shifts away.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Bumping this bad boy.

Heard one too many stories about the girl I used to have sex with at the office, so I decided to bite the bullet and get tested.

Deep down I knew I didn't have anything, but still, I really wanted that peace of mind.

Got the results today. All things negative. Whew! I mean, it had been 2.5 years since I last had sex with her, but still.

I will probably get tested regularly from now on. . . .. if I ever have sex again. :(

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
I turned 32 today. Sitting in my PJs on a Friday at the beach in Delaware with my girlfriend who surprised me with concert tickets. Apparently, Peter Gabriel is touring with his old band and performing all the songs from the "SO" album. Gotta love the 80s.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Have you ever had a birthday present that was so great, you were more excited to give it than the person is to recieve it? Today's that day for me :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
MINNESOTA STATE FAIR :911:.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
One of my textbooks for this semester is literally just called "Killing Civilians". It's the most gloriously hilarious out of context title ever. :911:

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

Numbers :unsmith:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I thought it'd just be another day at work but nope, site's shut down for a tv shoot. So I just chilled out with Thandie Newton and the guy that Matt Damon beats up in Bourne (and took one very creepy photo).

Their most famous scenes I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtvbEtPIGiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyZU7lfGjyk

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
This morning, the water in my cabin shower reeked of wet dog. I was gross so I couldn't afford to skip the shower, so I resigned myself to smelling like a wet dog all day.

When I moved on to the next town, within five minutes I had a trail of dogs following me around, attempting to jump in my truck, and even jumping out of other trucks to follow me. As horrible as I think I smelled, a friendly, goofy pack of dogs is pretty awesome, and it seemed to amuse the local drunks.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
Started back at school today. This is the first year since I left high school that I've come back to the same school I left in the Spring. Not having to worry about learning a new campus, figuring out which teachers are great and which professors suck, or being all alone and having to make all new friends is the most incredible feeling.

Nochte
Mar 27, 2006
I quit my job of 11 years today. I start my new job in 3 weeks. I haven't been this nervous and excited about work in a long time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I made $100 for an hour of bullshit, then bought a bunch of stuff I needed.

Tomorrow...I get a haircut!