Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

traveling midget posted:

The regular version is on their website too but yeah Intl shipping is ~14

They charge now, or at least authorize it.. I see the charge pending.

I really want the 7" boxset though...

That's somewhere around 22 7"s... :swoon:

I love the idea of this but I'd still get regular versions because that screams :effort: to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A couple weeks back Cattle Decapitation and a bunch of other bands had their tour cancelled, the Shockwave Fest, so they went on FB with all the merch they had ready and were trying to raise some funds. I had totally forgotten I had ordered but I requested a signed LP and it arrived today! The coloring job is loving amazing! :)

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Blendy posted:

Got my copy of Swing Lo Magellan yesterday but noticed I didn't get my copy of the Gun Has No Trigger Tablet Of Values. Has anyone gotten their record and the bonus weird tablet? I'm going to be super pissed if they just forgot to send me my tablet and how they've run out and gave it to someone else. I have the worst luck with these things.

Mine arrived today with the tablet. Sorry, man.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Ghumbs posted:

Mine arrived today with the tablet. Sorry, man.

ARGGG! I have the worst luck! Insound didn't send me my preorder bonus for Class Actress's record and now Domino is doing this to me! Heads will roll!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
My haul so far this week:

Unfortunately Ghosts I-IV (by NIN) discs 1 & 2 are warped to the point where they don't play, but I've organised a return, and the Spaces record came with a split seam :(

Tubular Bells (by Mike Oldfield) plays like a dream though, which is great because it's the original Australian pressing (same with The Wall).

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 18, 2012

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

LtTennisBall posted:

who was selling Ergs records at Pitchfork Fest?

I believe it was the Saki store. They had a bunch of used 7" in a box to go through, but for $2 I can't complain at all. There was a lot more punk than I expected, although a lot of it was marketed as Out of Print or rare underground.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
My Spaces LP arrived today, looks fantastic. Can't wait to get it spinning.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

So I bought King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King off of Discogs through a vendor (depending on how he reacts to this, I'll let you know or not). My package arrived yesterday and I opened it and this thing was inside of it instead of ItCotCK

I had never heard it before but it's pretty cool. Perhaps it was divine intervention (most likely this) and I was meant to explore the King Crimson discography a little bit more.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

I believe it was the Saki store. They had a bunch of used 7" in a box to go through, but for $2 I can't complain at all. There was a lot more punk than I expected, although a lot of it was marketed as Out of Print or rare underground.

Ah. That's awesome though, I've never seen Blue anywhere. Though I do have Thrash Compactor and the Lemuria split.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

cheapandugly posted:

My Spaces LP arrived today, looks fantastic. Can't wait to get it spinning.

Woo!

david puddy posted:

My haul so far this week:

Unfortunately Ghosts I-IV (by NIN) discs 1 & 2 are warped to the point where they don't play, but I've organised a return, and the Spaces record came with a split seam :(

Tubular Bells (by Mike Oldfield) plays like a dream though, which is great because it's the original Australian pressing (same with The Wall).

gently caress! Did you email me already? spaces@me.com

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know any record stores in NYC that sell house music records?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Throwing another Record Fair in New Orleans!

(hosting my own)

I think this is #9 for me now? Still a blast

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008

My last trip to the record store

WASDF posted:

So I bought King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King off of Discogs through a vendor (depending on how he reacts to this, I'll let you know or not). My package arrived yesterday and I opened it and this thing was inside of it instead of ItCotCK

I had never heard it before but it's pretty cool. Perhaps it was divine intervention (most likely this) and I was meant to explore the King Crimson discography a little bit more.
In the Court of the Crimson King is a classic (definitely follow up), and Red is their best, but Discipline is severely underrated. That's the only record of theirs that I haven't acquired (that I actually like, lots of weird transition periods).

Nosferatu Man fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 20, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQvOnDlql5g

Yup it's that time again.

I'm reorganizing my collection and I need to where people are sourcing their dividers. I would preferably like white, with a half width tab, probably at least about 3 inches wider than an LP. Also the same for 45s, but probably only about an inch wider on those. I had a quick look on eBay but there wasn't a great deal I liked.

Also I'm reorganizing in old sad bastard style (Alphabetical) So I only need 30 of each type max.

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?
Two good vinyl kickstarters are going on right now.

Black Mother Super Rainbow - Cobra Juicy

Tobacco's group project. Experimental, electronic, psychedelic. Also one of the best kickstarter videos of all time from Tim & Eric's Eric Wareheim. Seriously psyched for this one. Tobacco's Maniac Meat is one of my favorite albums. They've also already beat their goal, so they're throwing in pressing's of an unreleased EP if you add an extra $15 to your pledge.

Murdery by Death - Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon

I think the best description is Alt Western? A lot of songs about whiskey, guns etc with some rocking cello. Saw them live a while back with The Mountain Goats and really enjoyed it. Their video pales in comparison to BMSR's, but there are a lot of incentives for bundles etc if you're a fan of the band. The special edition also has a lantern and a old school zoetrope if you're into goofy/unique promo items.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Ron Burgundy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQvOnDlql5g

Yup it's that time again.

I'm reorganizing my collection and I need to where people are sourcing their dividers. I would preferably like white, with a half width tab, probably at least about 3 inches wider than an LP. Also the same for 45s, but probably only about an inch wider on those. I had a quick look on eBay but there wasn't a great deal I liked.

Also I'm reorganizing in old sad bastard style (Alphabetical) So I only need 30 of each type max.

http://www.squaredealonline.com/

I believe they also sell through Amazon and eBay, so you might want to try them there. Our experience with them where I work has been spotty at best. (Not notifying you before you order that an item is on backorder, sending the wrong size, etc.). Ordering from Amazon or eBay should make them a little more accountable.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Just got something super sweet...

A Ramones tribute 7" with Hanson Brothers, Invasives, 2 Sick Monkeys, and Dehumanizers.

It's pretty freakin' awesome.

Also my Baroness Yellow/Green showed up, and it was a colossal disappointment.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

theradiostillsucks posted:

http://www.squaredealonline.com/

I believe they also sell through Amazon and eBay, so you might want to try them there. Our experience with them where I work has been spotty at best. (Not notifying you before you order that an item is on backorder, sending the wrong size, etc.). Ordering from Amazon or eBay should make them a little more accountable.

Hmm they won't ship to Australia from their Amazon shop. Might have to email them. Great lead, thanks a lot!

Ectohawk
Oct 27, 2010

I have a question about storing Vinyl. I have heard you should store it vertically instead of horizontally so that it doesn't warp or something.

I just realized I have a couple of limited records that I left in the boxes they came in, horizontally. How bad is this for the disks? If they aren't stacked or have pressure on them, will they probably warp? I would like to keep the one in it's box, but that would not be vertical.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Ectohawk posted:

I just realized I have a couple of limited records that I left in the boxes they came in, horizontally. How bad is this for the disks? If they aren't stacked or have pressure on them, will they probably warp? I would like to keep the one in it's box, but that would not be vertical.

They'll be fine as long as they don't have any significant pressure acting on them when stored horizontally for extended periods. If you don't stack them, store them under heavy things, or use them as coasters for your novelty 12"-diameter beer mug, then you should be in the clear.

Vintersorg posted:

A couple weeks back Cattle Decapitation and a bunch of other bands had their tour cancelled, the Shockwave Fest, so they went on FB with all the merch they had ready and were trying to raise some funds. I had totally forgotten I had ordered but I requested a signed LP and it arrived today! The coloring job is loving amazing! :)

This is loving wicked.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Going along with the storage questions, I'll be moving and need to keep my records in a storage locker for about a week. It's indoors and plenty big, I'm just wondering what the best route is. Looking to maintain condition as best as possible, but I only have a few plastic vinyl bags. Suggestions on what to keep the records in and then what to do as far as boxes are concerned?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Finally found a local selling a copy of this:

Trying to get it from overseas was like $40-$50 postage :australia: but I'm glad I finally got it because it's a great set / album.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

So anyone have any suggestions (or lord willing a phone number) for dealing with Domino Records? I sent in an email earlier in the week letting them know they didn't send my full order and I haven't heard a word back. Getting kind of upset and concerned I'm going to get screwed on this.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Have you tried them on Twitter?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I don't use twitter anymore. Do they tend to respond well on it? I think my account is still live so I guess I could try it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That's surprising, since I had an issue with the Orange Juice boxset when it first came out. It had two copies of their first LP instead of a CD for "Rip It Up." I emailed them, they mailed a replacement and sent me a download link for the missing album to fulfill my needs until then.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Speaking of not getting an order, has anyone by chance ordered the Coolrunnings LP and not received it?

I ordered in it late May and nothing has arrived. I've emailed the band several times without a reply. I'm also past the 45 days to do a meaningful paypal dispute. This is my first time getting totally stiffed on the internet and it kinda sucks that it happens to be by a small band I actually wanted to support.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's surprising, since I had an issue with the Orange Juice boxset when it first came out. It had two copies of their first LP instead of a CD for "Rip It Up." I emailed them, they mailed a replacement and sent me a download link for the missing album to fulfill my needs until then.

Yeah I don't know what's going on. I sent two message last week (early in the week, I'd like to say Tuesday) and have not heard a word back. Just sent another message through their contact page. I'm kind of worried they're just trying to dodge me because it's the limited edition tablet I didn't get and they might be out. So rather than deal with me they're just going to ignore me.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
One of the local surf music fans passed away a few weeks ago. It's a pretty tightly-knit community around here, so all the surf dudes put together a memorial for him and they decided to sell off his music collection to support his family. Dude had about 600 surf CDs, over 100 45s and quite a few LPs. It's all quite sad but he had some amazing stuff in his collection.

Some of this stuff I didn't even know existed on vinyl, and I'm still amazed by that Beat Tornados LP. He had some incredibly rare stuff that raised a lot of money for his family. I've heard the "grandpa died so we're selling his stuff" story so many times when buying records but it's a lot different when you're close with the guy.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Space human being posted:

One of the local surf music fans passed away a few weeks ago. It's a pretty tightly-knit community around here, so all the surf dudes put together a memorial for him and they decided to sell off his music collection to support his family. Dude had about 600 surf CDs, over 100 45s and quite a few LPs. It's all quite sad but he had some amazing stuff in his collection.

Some of this stuff I didn't even know existed on vinyl, and I'm still amazed by that Beat Tornados LP. He had some incredibly rare stuff that raised a lot of money for his family. I've heard the "grandpa died so we're selling his stuff" story so many times when buying records but it's a lot different when you're close with the guy.
Is that Baja Marty that they're talking about on surfguitar101? I haven't been able to keep up with sg101 for a few weeks. Sad as it is, it's kind of cool knowing that there was a community ready to receive and appreciate a niche collection like that. Those are some killer scores, especially that Beat Tornadoes LP.

Here's my surf/instro haul from the Record Raid this weekend. The one blotted out by flash is The Crossfires, different band than the Crossfires that ended up being the turtles but really good for what looks like a budget LP. 45s are The Rumblers - Boss, The Shondells - Thunderbolt and not pictured The Ramrods - Ghost Riders in the Sky and Earl Stanley - Fish Eyes.

...I got a lot of non-surf stuff including an awesome Gaturs 45, but I don't have it all together right now.

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 23, 2012

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah, it was Baja Marty. It can't be overstated how crazy he was about surf, and most of his collection ended up in the hands of his closest friends. The surf community here is really great and he's really going to be missed.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
When they said it came with a book I figured it'd be a cool thing to leave on the coffee table maybe...

I didn't expect this :stare:

Also got Aesop Rock - Skelethon from the same delivery :)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Parachute Underwear posted:

When they said it came with a book I figured it'd be a cool thing to leave on the coffee table maybe...

I didn't expect this :stare:

Also got Aesop Rock - Skelethon from the same delivery :)

I got the regular Y/G, but oh my god I can't wait for mine to arrive. Waiting for delivery to the UK sucks, but I am sure it will be worth it when I see the art printed on an LP jacket instead of on a screen, and of course am able to spin this wonderful record. I have been listening to it a lot and it has really grown on me, so I can't wait for the package to actually arrive. Other than that I am pining after the BTBAM vinyl preorders for the new album, although they seem to be only available in the US store at the moment, and shipping just looks too painful for me to jump in there right now. Hoping they'll bring some nice limited colourways or tour pressings when they hop over here for a run of UK dates in October/November.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got this stuff recently. Pretty happy with it.

I forgot to include Fleetwood Mac - Rumours in this photo.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
More recent pick ups, collection essentials really.

$2 box (Holy hell christian Dylan was really heavy handed.)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I have two versions of Fragile by Yes. The gate fold on Version A is a brown color, while the one on Version B is grey. The sleeve of the Version A is plain with The Atlantic Group written on it, while the sleeve of the Version B has an ad for a bunch of different records. Also, Version A has the booklet, while Version B doesn't, though I don't know if that's because it never had one or it was lost at some point. Both are printed in the US, both have 1972 copyright dates. The labels are the usual Atlantic green/white/orange scheme, though Version A has the 'manufactured by' info smaller because it has 'A Warner Communications Company' after it. Version B has SD 19132 on the label, and the other has SD 7211. They must be different pressings, and I'm sure neither is special, but what's the difference between them (which was first, why the differences between coloration of the gate fold, etc.)?

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

Speaking of not getting an order, has anyone by chance ordered the Coolrunnings LP and not received it?

I ordered in it late May and nothing has arrived. I've emailed the band several times without a reply. I'm also past the 45 days to do a meaningful paypal dispute. This is my first time getting totally stiffed on the internet and it kinda sucks that it happens to be by a small band I actually wanted to support.

I was a part of the Kickstarter to get the LP pressed and it was thought to ship in February..then March..then didn't hear anything until I pestered the singer on Twitter (@BRAND0NBI0ND0) and finally got it around May. The dude/band really needed some business guy to help him with shipping out LPs. II thought the LP was great and loved the band, but after following the singer on twitter and hearing his dumb rants, I lost a bit of respect for him and the band. I think COOLRUNNINGS is dead now anyways as the singer is now going under a new less name, Shy Boy. Sucks.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Peacebone posted:

I was a part of the Kickstarter to get the LP pressed and it was thought to ship in February..then March..then didn't hear anything until I pestered the singer on Twitter (@BRAND0NBI0ND0) and finally got it around May. The dude/band really needed some business guy to help him with shipping out LPs. II thought the LP was great and loved the band, but after following the singer on twitter and hearing his dumb rants, I lost a bit of respect for him and the band. I think COOLRUNNINGS is dead now anyways as the singer is now going under a new less name, Shy Boy. Sucks.

I'll bug him on Twitter and see if that works. At least he'll see that, he's completely ignored all my emails.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Just got a really cool record in the mail:

The Underdark by Funeral Diner. It basically is one of my holy grail records, and I really never thought I'd actually be able to get my hands on it. Someone put it up for sale on Discogs a few weeks ago, got it today. It's the clear version, which I think is /1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Might as well post some of my collection. First, this thing is my player, the Emerson Big-Big Portable Phono. Basically one step above a kid's record player, as it has a treble/bass knob. Most records don't sound great but aren't horrible, some sound horrible, and a few sound surprisingly good considering the player. But hey, it was only $5. At some point I will upgrade to something that's good, when I have the money/space for something with actual speakers.

The record that came with the player. I haven't listened to it, and I think I want to keep it that way.

A little jazz and some polka.

Another one I've yet to listen to, though I've heard a few of the songs on TV. Got this one for free at a yard sale we had a few years back. Someone donated a box of records, and I grabbed a few, including this one, because the cover amused me.

Kind of unrelated, but they didn't really go with any of the other collections, so I stuck them together. American Beauty is one of the first records I ever got, probably fifteen years ago, well before I got a player. Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch I got from the same box of records as Disco Tex.

A couple of soundtracks. Just got 2001 this weekend. The record is immaculate. It looks like it's never been played. The jacket is a bit worn, but still in pretty good shape.

The only video game soundtrack I've ever bought. Actually sounds great on my dinky little player, as the tinniness actually fits the music. Pretty excellent album.

Also the only album I have with anything other than plain old black vinyl.

It's time for Prog! Gotta have some Boston, of course, the first and second albums. This copy of Don't Look Back is actually my second. The first one I got (for free, thankfully) is wrecked because some poo poo took a pen to both sides. I figure some kid was mad at their dad or older brother back in the late-70s.

Some bands that I only have one album a piece from, so I stuck them together. All three albums are fantastic.

And some Yes! Got Close To The Edge and Yessongs for a buck each. Jackets are pretty worn, but the records are in great shape. Fragile was like $5, which I was pretty happy with.

A few more Yes albums, a little later than the previous ones.

And now for the Jethro Tull. Heavy Horses was another of the albums I found in the yard sale box of records. Got me into Tull more than the casual liking I had for them before. These three are considered to be something of a thematic trilogy. Heavy Horses and Songs From The Wood are great albums, though I wasn't as into Stormwatch.

A few more, with the ubiquitous Aqualung.

And, of course, their masterpiece, both musically and packaging-wise, Thick As A Brick.

The newspaper is all there and in great shape.

The last of the Prog, a trio from Gentle Giant. The Power And The Glory was the first one I found, which was a nice find, since they're a band that wasn't exactly everywhere back in the day, so their albums aren't too easy to find. This version of Octopus is actually worth a little, as it's the first pressing of the North American version, which had a die cat jacket in the shape of the jar. The later ones left off the die cutting and had regular old sleeves. I don't know how much it's really worth, but I've seen a few on ebay going for $40-50, which isn't bad for an album I paid $2 for. Still hoping to stumble on a cheap first pressing of the British version someday, though I'm not crossing my fingers.

A few metal albums. Ride The Lightning is a recent reissue, which is good because I was an idiot and scratched one side while I wasn't paying attention. The Batillus album is some good, dark, doomy stuff.

Some Beatles stuff, including a Meet The Beatles jacket with The Beatles' Second Album in it. I'm not sure where Meet The Beatles is or the jacket for the Second Album is, or if either exist anymore. They were my dad's when he was young, and he had a pretty good sized family, so that stuff got borrowed and misplaced and scattered and whatnot.

And finally, this thing, The Beetle Beat by The Buggs. One of a bunch of bands that were put together to cash in on the explosion of The Beatles. Has two covers, I Want To Hold Your Hand and She Loves You. The rest are original, Beatles-style songs. You may notice the jacket says it was recorded in England, and is "The Original Liverpool Sound", but the band itself was from Nebraska and the album was recorded in Minnesota. Honestly, for what it is, the music isn't all bad. The covers are pretty good, and the originals, while not really all that original, are at least solid songs in the style of The Beatles.

I have a bunch more records, but they're mostly stuff my mother dumped on me when she found out I was interested in vinyl, and it's pretty much all stuff I'm not really interested in.