Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only thing else I'd wonder about is whether coffee has the proteins to create the foam with the creamer tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

zedprime posted:

The only thing else I'd wonder about is whether coffee has the proteins to create the foam with the creamer tap.

Probably remedied with some maltodextrin.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yeah, I'm going off of espresso crema coming through partially from high pressure. Hopefully high pressure (admittedly not as much) and tiny little holes will do the same. Only one way to find out!

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Could someone describe the off flavors from fermenting at too high a temp? We keep our house around 72F year round, and pretty much every beer I've made has been "off" somehow. There's a certain twang? I can't describe it, but I'm wondering if it has to do with fermenting too hot. I don't think it's an infection, because deep down it still tastes like beer only not good. Besides, I sanitize things compulsively.

I have a pumpkin spiced beer in the fermenter right now, and it's the first brew I've attempted temp control using a large tub with water and ice bottles. I kept it around 65 for the first 8 or 9 days until the obvious fermentation was done. Since then it's been sitting in primary at room temp. Hopefully this turns out without the strange flavor. I'll be bottling it in a couple days, and gravity samples are already more promising than any of my previous batches.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

U.S. Barryl posted:

Could someone describe the off flavors from fermenting at too high a temp? We keep our house around 72F year round, and pretty much every beer I've made has been "off" somehow. There's a certain twang? I can't describe it, but I'm wondering if it has to do with fermenting too hot. I don't think it's an infection, because deep down it still tastes like beer only not good. Besides, I sanitize things compulsively.

I have a pumpkin spiced beer in the fermenter right now, and it's the first brew I've attempted temp control using a large tub with water and ice bottles. I kept it around 65 for the first 8 or 9 days until the obvious fermentation was done. Since then it's been sitting in primary at room temp. Hopefully this turns out without the strange flavor. I'll be bottling it in a couple days, and gravity samples are already more promising than any of my previous batches.
Usually butter, green apple or fruity.

Honestly, 72 is not hot enough to throw a ton of off-flavors, particularly if you're using US05 or some other healthy, clean yeast.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 24, 2012

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

U.S. Barryl posted:

Could someone describe the off flavors from fermenting at too high a temp?

Big fruit and spice, generally. The fruit can range from Kool-Ade "red" to heavy overripe banana. Spices can be clove, nutmeg, anise, and so on. You might also get a "hot" alcohol flavor, like drinking cheap hot sake.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
It's definitely not butter, but I suppose there's a bit of fruitiness. It doesn't quite describe what I'm tasting though. There's for sure a bit of apple to it but, it's mostly chemical-ish.

edit: I sanitize with star-san for what it's worth, so I don't rinse anything off, but I don't think it would leave a chemical taste behind. The more I research, I'm guessing it's fusels. I don't know, but it's getting discouraging.

U.S. Barryl fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 24, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've always brewed without temp control, 68-72f. Most of my stuff comes out good, the only failures I've had were just poor recipe experiments.

Do you do extract batches? I've found that my extract beers don't taste as good as all grain or even half mash. They all have "that syrup taste"...

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Apple sounds like acetaldehyde, which is a by-product of fermentation that some yeast are known for producing. Chemicalish could be phenols, which might be caused by chlorine in your brewing water. You might consider using a Campden tab in your water before you add any malt just for cheap insurance. Star-San is not your problem, I'm as near to certain as I can be. Fusels would likely be too high a temp.

How's your head after a couple of glasses? Headaches? Hangovers after "I don't think I drank *that* much"? Those symptoms might indicate fusels (or possibly acetaldehyde - what yeast are you using?).

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I'm using mainly US-05, and the last beer that just finished is Wyeast 1335 British Ale. Now that you mention it, I'm getting a bit too hungover for just having a few beers. The beer I just finished using 1335 has only been in bottles for 8 days. I just opened one, and it's perfectly carbed but has the same weird flavor. I'm gonna let that one sit in the basement for another couple weeks and try again. I really hope this next beer that I used temp control for clears up my issue, and I can attribute this crap to hot temps. I'm guessing that if my house is 72 then the beer itself can get to like 77 or 78 on it's own during fermentation, so I'm assuming that poo poo is just too hot.

edit: I suppose I should clear up that my most recent batch was all-grain, and that I usually only brew using bottled spring water. The most recent batch was my first all grain attempt and I boiled off so much drat water that I topped up with 2 gallons of tap water. This ended up being pretty drat chemically, so maybe it's a water issue.

U.S. Barryl fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 24, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jo3sh posted:

You might also get a "hot" alcohol flavor, like drinking cheap hot sake.

I made one beer that was WAY over gravity and therefore didn't get enough yeast pitched (don't brew while drunk, kids!), and also fermented a bit too hot. Holy crap, drinking just a couple pints of that would give you a headache worse than a box of discount red wine. Never making that mistake again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Hypnolobster, a couple points: the straight CO2 of a Sodastream always sems to also add a metallic note, like the difference between good grain alcohol like Golden Grain and Everclear. Also, Guiness gas is actually special compared to normal beergas; when done right, it's supposed to be 65/35, higher nitro.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

I've always brewed without temp control, 68-72f. Most of my stuff comes out good, the only failures I've had were just poor recipe experiments.

Do you do extract batches? I've found that my extract beers don't taste as good as all grain or even half mash. They all have "that syrup taste"...

I don't want to seem like a snob, but liquid extract is not good unless you 1) Get it very fresh, 2) Use the lightest extract you can and 3) Use it quickly. This is why on the rare occasions I choose to do extract brews, I go for dried extract only. It keeps far better, it's easier to measure and dole out, and the colour is lighter which gives you more control over the colour of your beer because you can choose what specialty grains to use and in what proportions.

So to reiterate my general system for doing extract brews:

- Use dried extract
- Use the lightest colour you can get your hands on, using specialty grains to control final colour
- If not using wheat extract (I'm not sure why this is, but in my experience dried wheat extract is the exception to the rule), you should do at least a partial mash.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

U.S. Barryl posted:

edit: I suppose I should clear up that my most recent batch was all-grain, and that I usually only brew using bottled spring water. The most recent batch was my first all grain attempt and I boiled off so much drat water that I topped up with 2 gallons of tap water. This ended up being pretty drat chemically, so maybe it's a water issue.

I had this happen when I didn't de-chlorinate my water. It kind of tasted the way public swimming pools smell. The rest of my beers have been de-chlorinated with campden tablets and they taste fine.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

U.S. Barryl posted:

I'm guessing that if my house is 72 then the beer itself can get to like 77 or 78 on it's own during fermentation[....]

This is almost certainly true.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

crazyfish posted:

I don't want to seem like a snob, but liquid extract is not good unless you 1) Get it very fresh, 2) Use the lightest extract you can and 3) Use it quickly. This is why on the rare occasions I choose to do extract brews, I go for dried extract only. It keeps far better, it's easier to measure and dole out, and the colour is lighter which gives you more control over the colour of your beer because you can choose what specialty grains to use and in what proportions.

- Use dried extract
- Use the lightest colour you can get your hands on, using specialty grains to control final colour
- If not using wheat extract (I'm not sure why this is, but in my experience dried wheat extract is the exception to the rule), you should do at least a partial mash.

I definitely hear you about color control.

But I still get "that syrup taste" from the dry stuff when it's the main fermentable. I use the liquid stuff because I tend to have a hard time getting all the powder extract evenly dissolved and I end up making a sticky mess all over myself.

But since I moved to AG and half-mash processes, I use little extract at all, mostly just to bump to target OG to correct for poor efficiency.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
If you want to move away from extract brewing without the investment for more equipment, you could always move to a brew in a bag setup. I'm actually planning on trying it out with my next batch because AG is extremely difficult in my small apartment.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My half-mash batches are BIAB. I love the process and I would do AG BIAB if I had a larger pot. Simplifies cleanup, no stuck sparge, etc.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Just finished bottling my IPA, removing labels takes for-goddamn-ever (yes I used Oxyclean).

Wort tasted excellent - maybe not quite as bitter as I wanted but hopefully priming will add a little more bite too it; very nice hop aroma from dry-hopping too. I may have over-primed slightly for an IPA (primed for 23 L, and ended up with 21.3 L bottled); I think it'll end up with just over 2.4 volumes of CO2, which is well within acceptable limits for lagers and such, so the bottles shouldn't have a problem (I think...)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jo3sh posted:

Apple sounds like acetaldehyde, which is a by-product of fermentation that some yeast are known for producing. Chemicalish could be phenols, which might be caused by chlorine in your brewing water. You might consider using a Campden tab in your water before you add any malt just for cheap insurance. Star-San is not your problem, I'm as near to certain as I can be. Fusels would likely be too high a temp.

How's your head after a couple of glasses? Headaches? Hangovers after "I don't think I drank *that* much"? Those symptoms might indicate fusels (or possibly acetaldehyde - what yeast are you using?).

Chemical ness could also be the dread plastic flavor that can come with certain strains at high temperature.

There's also some bugbear nail polish remover ester me and a guy at the club taste more often than not but is seemingly volatile enough that 15 minutes after a pour it is gone. I've had it show a couple weeks after first pulling from a keg. I don't understand it at all because of that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

crazyfish posted:

- Use dried extract

Doing a partial mash seems like it defeats the benefit of doing an extract batch.

JawKnee posted:

Just finished bottling my IPA, removing labels takes for-goddamn-ever (yes I used Oxyclean).

Wort tasted excellent - maybe not quite as bitter as I wanted but hopefully priming will add a little more bite too it; very nice hop aroma from dry-hopping too. I may have over-primed slightly for an IPA (primed for 23 L, and ended up with 21.3 L bottled); I think it'll end up with just over 2.4 volumes of CO2, which is well within acceptable limits for lagers and such, so the bottles shouldn't have a problem (I think...)
If its fermented its beer not wort :v:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Doing a partial mash seems like it defeats the benefit of doing an extract batch.

Somewhat. It's a lot easier to manage a 3-4lb grain bill for most people than 10-11lbs, and since you're not relying on grain to get *most* of your fermentables, there's more room for error.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

recent posts posted:

extract hate

While most of this is/could be true. I think it should be stated that extract brewing is still making beer, it is still going to be very tasty, and you are no less of a human being if you use extract.

I think that sort of 'hard line' speak from another, maybe more knowledgeable brewer can be hard on someone who is either looking at getting into brewing and may be scared off of investing in all-grain as well as making those who use extract feel bad for doing so.

We should maybe try to avoid chastising people for dipping their toes in the pool while we splash around in the deep end.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
My first two were extracts that came out really tasty, then the next two were partials that came out really tasty, and now I'm doing all-grain in a cooler. We just bottled one of them last night, it came out really tasty (Northern Brewer's Bier de Table kit, a lot like Oberon without the citrus and I think I'm adding ginger next time around).

Make beer. Then get better and more refined at making beer. This extract stuff might be true (I dunno), but it's nitpicking a baseline of already good beer.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Jacobey000 posted:

I think it should be stated that extract brewing is still making beer, it is still going to be very tasty, and you are no less of a human being if you use extract.

I absolutely agree. You can (and should!) make really excellent beer from extract. It's a great way to get started for a small initial investment, and you can keep making great beer forever that way. Contest winners can and are made from extract, and it is not in any way 'second-class' brewing.

I think the big issues are really in freshness of the extract and in temperature control during the ferment. We've talked about both of these issues recently and they will no doubt come up again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Jo3sh posted:

I think the big issues are really in freshness of the extract and in temperature control during the ferment.

Which really are serious issues in all-grain too, right? So v:v:v

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Sure, but by the time a brewer has gone all-grain, he probably has invested some effort and money into the hobby and almost certainly has already worked through some of those issues. Correlation != causation; all-grain brewers have fewer issues because they are more experienced brewers, not because they aren't using extract.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Whenever I brew a hefeweizen I use extract :shobon: It comes out really good so why should I change the recipe?

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp

Kaiho posted:

I buy from Brewuk. Their starter is better. Also, everything jo3sh said makes sense.

Come to the Craft Beer Co next Sunday for #homebrewclub. Plenty of enthusiastic guys and girls there with a real spectrum of levels of experience. We just had the first meeting.

Do you mean this kit?

I won't be in London till probably mid-September, but I'll be sure to check out the Home Brew Club when I'm back :) Thanks a lot for the advice everyone!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mecharasputin posted:

Do you mean this kit?

I won't be in London till probably mid-September, but I'll be sure to check out the Home Brew Club when I'm back :) Thanks a lot for the advice everyone!

Umm, I think I do. :P

See what the price of that would be compared to a bucket, bottling wand, star-san (UK brew shops tend to sell PBW chlorine-based cleaner/sanitiser which needs rinsing), syphon, thermometer and your choice of kit. What I'm saying is that you don't necessarily need that pressure barrel - especially if you get a bottling wand. That way it's easier to give to friends and keep cold - just throw a few bottles in the fridge.

That's not to say pressure barrels aren't good (I have two now). They are suitable for English-style low-carbonation ale. You can't serve lagers, German-style high-carbonation beers or American ales from them. I found this out through making the mistake of placing heavily-primed wheat beer into one.

Also if you want to move away from canned kits (like included in that kit you linked) you will want a large stock pot and a good slotted spoon with a long handle. I brew with extract and it is piss-easy once you get the hang of it and the taste is hella better.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
I've already got a pot and a spoon. I've got wooden spoon which from what I gather is a no-no, but a spoon is not that big of an expenditure so I'll be fine :) I'm definitely planning on moving away from canned kits after I'm through with the one included in the set.

Yay bear!:cheers:

e: Yay beer, that is! :D

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah, I'd say a canned kit is a useful primer in how well you can control temperature, what to expect from your equipment in terms of what fermentation looks/sounds/smells like, what it takes to prime and bottle/barrel beer, etc. But you get so much more from the hobby if you start to mess around with the ingredients.

I threw the second load of dry hops into my 7.5 percenter tonight. 30 grams of Cascade, 20 grams of Simcoe. There's already that amount sitting in that puppy in addition to the 70 grams of kettle hops. Basically I am dry hopping the hell out of it to see how many of my friends like the aroma of fresh hops as much as I do. Bottling in another 5-6 days.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Alright, so apparently no one in the Greater Vancouver Area sells apricot extract, so I guess I'm making a puree for my apricot wheat ale.

I don't have any experience making this kind of thing for beers, but I have made such things for deserts and coulis and such before - is it a similar process?

I'm figuring on boiling fresh apricots to get the skins off, then stewing them in either maple syrup or honey (or brown sugar?) for an hour + to pasteurize. Should I throw any other spices or anything else in there?

How much would be an appropriate amount for a 5 gallon batch?

And finally, I understand that not using an extract means I'm going to have to let it ferment for a while in the secondary; assuming I've done that, how should I handle priming a batch like this to avoid exploding bottles?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
You're gonna want to include at least a portion of the skins, and figure on at least 1lb/gal to get any sort of substantial contribution. When I do/did my pear wit I'd do 1.75lbs/gallon of pears and an additional pound of apples.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
I racked a 1 month old lambic onto 9 lbs of blueberries two days ago and I thought that I might have filled the carboy too much. Turns out I was right. Foam and blueberry guts were pushing there way out of the airlock, so I siphoned a little bit out for tasting. It's already tasting slightly tart and funky as well as the sweet blueberry. I can't wait for it to finish.

I also tried force carbonating a keg for the first time yesterday and I think it turned out. The Kolsch was definitely carbed, but because it was extra hoppy and the fact that I only did a primary, it ended up a little chunky. I'm sure it will settle out though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I usually go from primary to keg. Its so much quicker, and with a whirl floc tab and some careful and un-greedy racking, it will come out pretty clear.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Speaking of watermelon wheat beers (from the main beer thread), I want to make one as a quick-turnaround thirst quencher of a session beer, and since I feel kinda lazy, I'll be doing my standard extract wheat beer as a base:

6 lbs wheat DME
1/2 lb Belgian aromatic
1/4 lb flaked oats
1oz czech saaz @ 60
1oz czech saaz @ 5

My question is, what should I do to get watermelon in the beer without risking infection? Should I just cut up a watermelon on a sanitized cutting board and dump it all in after primary and hope for the best?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

crazyfish posted:

Speaking of watermelon wheat beers (from the main beer thread), I want to make one as a quick-turnaround thirst quencher of a session beer, and since I feel kinda lazy, I'll be doing my standard extract wheat beer as a base:

6 lbs wheat DME
1/2 lb Belgian aromatic
1/4 lb flaked oats
1oz czech saaz @ 60
1oz czech saaz @ 5

My question is, what should I do to get watermelon in the beer without risking infection? Should I just cut up a watermelon on a sanitized cutting board and dump it all in after primary and hope for the best?

Watermelon has a super mild flavor. You would need a ton of it, like literally two large watermelons. I mean, I would suggest trying to sterilize it with campden, but I have no clue if that would work with those melons. I really can't see you being able to boil it, though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you try and boil watermelon I'm not sure you're going to have any watermelon flavor left. If you dump in whole watermelon I think it's either going to dilute the beer or just do nothing.

Maybe putting it in a blender and simmering that in a stockpot until it reduces by a shitload would work. Possibly strain out the pulp before trying to reduce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Watermelon has a super mild flavor. You would need a ton of it, like literally two large watermelons. I mean, I would suggest trying to sterilize it with campden, but I have no clue if that would work with those melons. I really can't see you being able to boil it, though.

I was figuring on using an entire watermelon, but I might up that to a watermelon and a half. Searching around, people seem to be straining the juice out of the melon and adding that to the beer, which could work better as I won't have to have to throw two watermelons worth of fruit into a 6 gallon bucket that already has 5 gallons of beer in it.