Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aubergine Mage posted:

Bigger audience too. (Far as I know, more people have USA than have Spike. Especially now with the Viacom/DirecTV contract issues.)

It's maybe a million more homes (normally.) The deal also gave them two NBC specials per year, although they flopped so hard that they barely even bother with them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

they should try the live NBC specials again now that like 15 viewers could make you the highest rated NBC show of the night.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gavok posted:

One year for King of Trios, they're doing the gag where they choose a mystery partner out of a hat and the first couple aren't there. One of the names selected is Johnny Cashmere. Instead of the ref running into the back, he instead runs over to the bathroom to check for him there.

What's the story behind this joke?

I figured it would be linked to this, but it looks like a Canadian brand so I'm not sure they'd go for that joke.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Didn't WWE get kind of a poo poo deal when their contract came due, as they tried to play both sides when up for renewal, and Spike would up completely leaving negotiations?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cromulent posted:

There was a rumor that he would hit up guys for sex in the bathroom at PWU shows. He was indeed a cokehead, but that's not the bathroom joke.

Rumor? Didn't he put up an ad on Craigslist?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So what's the reason WWE continues taping Smackdown instead of just airing it live on Fridays?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Suben posted:

So what's the reason WWE continues taping Smackdown instead of just airing it live on Fridays?
Too expensive for a show that wouldn't get better ratings if it was. Also, the wrestlers probably prefer the schedule. I think Friday is usually a day off.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Isn't it cheaper, since the crews are only on the road Sunday for PPVs, and then Monday/Tuesday instead of needing potentially an extra day on Thursday for travel? Seems to make sense, at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Rumor? Didn't he put up an ad on Craigslist?

I know male ring rats are probably scarcer, but if you know about craigslist, why would you think about loving guys who answer those ads on craigslist?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Suben posted:

It costs more money to do a live broadcast than to air a taped production. Additionally, by taping on Tuesdays, they don't have to worry about what to do with the big-rear end TitanTron set for the couple of days in the interim (since it isn't used at house shows), and they also have those extra couple of days to edit the show, fix commentary flubs, etc., and make sure everything fits neatly into the two-hour timeslot, since SyFy doesn't give them an overrun.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Gavok posted:

One year for King of Trios, they're doing the gag where they choose a mystery partner out of a hat and the first couple aren't there. One of the names selected is Johnny Cashmere. Instead of the ref running into the back, he instead runs over to the bathroom to check for him there.

What's the story behind this joke?

Because he was the shits?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I guess you learn something new every day (or hear something new):

quote:

During this time Spicolli worked for ECW for a number of months, during which time he could be seen using the now infamous "Wolf Head" signal during tapings and matches. In a later interview he denied the association, and asserted that the "Wolf Head" symbol was originally Bret Hart's gesture and The Wolfpac stole it. He said he used the symbol in ECW in order to "take it back."

When did Bret ever use the Wolf Head?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember him using it a few times when they were pushing the "Bret Hart is a fighting champion" thing. However it took a friend of mine pointing that out years after the fact. He would hold the belt above his head and do the gesture with the other hand.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
I remember him doing it around the time WWF Wrestlemania: The Aracade Game came out. He even did it after you won a match or when you were running from one opponent to the next in the little overworld looking thing:
http://youtu.be/j7I6V4UZfqI?t=2m3s

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

E-Diddy posted:

I remember him doing it around the time WWF Wrestlemania: The Aracade Game came out. He even did it after you won a match or when you were running from one opponent to the next in the little overworld looking thing:
http://youtu.be/j7I6V4UZfqI?t=2m3s

I watched way more of that video than I'd like to admit

and just as I was ready to turn it off, dude had to wrestle both red Yokozuna and purple Yokozuna at the same time whaaaaaaaat

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

nasboat posted:

I watched way more of that video than I'd like to admit

and just as I was ready to turn it off, dude had to wrestle both red Yokozuna and purple Yokozuna at the same time whaaaaaaaat

If you think that's crazy, you should see the endings. They include Michaels going into politics and Bam Bam Bigelow burning down the arena and killing everybody in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lone Rogue posted:

I guess you learn something new every day (or hear something new):

When did Bret ever use the Wolf Head?

Yeah, he used to use it all the time.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Is it wrong that after the video, I still have no idea what a Wolf Head signal is?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

Is it wrong that after the video, I still have no idea what a Wolf Head signal is?

It's this:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is there anyway to pinpoint when "finishers" became a concept?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Orgophlax posted:

Dawn of wrestling history. Didn't one guy have a toe-hold or something in the old days?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Orgophlax posted:

Ancient Greece. Wrestlers have had favourite holds for winning a match for as long as wrestling's existed.

That being said, finishers in pro wrestling seem to be at least as old as the Gold Dust Trio and the rise of the territories in the '20s. Ed Lewis had his famous sleeper hold, Londos used the Boston Crab, etc.

Still, there were lots of guys who didn't have a "finisher." I don't think that became obligatory until the '50s, when wrestling started featuring truly cartoonish gimmicks and the matches quickly moved away from something a reasonable person would believe was an actual fight happening. Like, here's a really old match where the victor wins by something like a Texas Cloverleaf and it's more or less believable.

I think the real answer to your question is the Gold Dust Trio, though.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 23, 2012

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Gavok posted:

They include Michaels going into politics

Shawn Michaels never plays politics!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Halloween Jack posted:

Ancient Greece. Wrestlers have had favourite holds for winning a match for as long as wrestling's existed.

That being said, finishers in pro wrestling seem to be at least as old as the Gold Dust Trio and the rise of the territories in the '20s. Ed Lewis had his famous sleeper hold, Londos used the Boston Crab, etc.

Still, there were lots of guys who didn't have a "finisher." I don't think that became obligatory until the '50s, when wrestling started featuring truly cartoonish gimmicks and the matches quickly moved away from something a reasonable person would believe was an actual fight happening. Like, here's a really old match where the victor wins by something like a Texas Cloverleaf and it's more or less believable.

I think the real answer to your question is the Gold Dust Trio, though.

That was pretty cool!

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
So, regarding all this Gold Dust Trio talk.

Are there any books(or maybe even documentaries) that specifically cover the really early days of pro wrestling? I'd love to read something about the evolution from relatively legit grappling contests to totally work matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sears Poncho posted:

Are there any books(or maybe even documentaries) that specifically cover the really early days of pro wrestling? I'd love to read something about the evolution from relatively legit grappling contests to totally work matches.

If you have an Observer subscription Karl Stern did a series of podcasts about the history of wrestling from the pioneer days until today.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Huh, never actually listened to his stuff, I guess I should!

Yea I know nothing of the era when it was just an entirely sideshow stuff, I'd love reading more about that too.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Glitterbomber posted:

^^^Huh, never actually listened to his stuff, I guess I should!

Yea I know nothing of the era when it was just an entirely sideshow stuff, I'd love reading more about that too.

You'd be good to look up articles by Steve Yohe as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain Foo posted:

That was pretty cool!
Thanks. An interesting thing that this sheds light on is how in ye olden days, most finishers would be stuff like a swinging neckbreaker or a kneedrop. Since the match had to look more like a real fight, they didn't have moves that you could only do to someone who couldn't fight back at all.

By the by, Gorgeous George's finisher was something he called a "kip headlock" and people called a "rolling hiplock." I can't find any video of it, but it seems that he would grab the opponent and then jump up high to add momentum to a headlock throw.

Ironically, I still think that really good finishers are usually ones that can come out of nowhere, and look like they have some unique tactical advantage, rather than a wrestler doing it this way instead of that way because hey, it's his special move so he does it that way. It took me a long time to actually watch and appreciate some Japanese wrestling because I had the notion that it was mainly enjoyed by guys who want to see fifteen overcomplicated high spots every match.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 24, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
My favourite golden era wrestler name was "The Wrestling Plasterer" Christopher Theophelus

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone remember who finally found the infamous LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING A BIRD LEFT ON THE HOOD OF MY CAR ad? Trying to prove that it exists on another forum and having the pic would help.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Dickeye posted:

Does anyone remember who finally found the infamous LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING A BIRD LEFT ON THE HOOD OF MY CAR ad? Trying to prove that it exists on another forum and having the pic would help.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2420562&pagenumber=670#post398448541

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Woo

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sears Poncho posted:

I think Marcus Griffin's Fall Guys covers that ground, but it's really hard to find.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

I think Marcus Griffin's Fall Guys covers that ground, but it's really hard to find.
Available as an ebook at Barnes & Noble and iTunes.
Or dead trees from Lulu.

e: Apparently it's public domain and available to read online.

Has anyone read the Gorgeous George book by John Capouya?

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 24, 2012

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Did anyone ever email this to Dave Meltzer to get his reaction?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

maniacripper posted:

Did anyone ever email this to Dave Meltzer to get his reaction?

Why would he have a reaction?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRayPer posted:

Why would he have a reaction?

Wasn't he the one who mentioned it in a newsletter and people were calling bullshit on it?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Not that it would ever be something truly memorable (i.e. during the actual WWF v. WCW days), but was there ever a D-X v. NWO angle or even a match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jetfire posted:

Not that it would ever be something truly memorable (i.e. during the actual WWF v. WCW days), but was there ever a D-X v. NWO angle or even a match?
2011 Gathering of the Juggalos had Nash and Waltman vs. The New Age Outlaws.