Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Curious about people learning to write their own apps, how do you get started? I have very limited programming experience with basic C/C++, Java intro classes and lots of web based stuff. My work has a free account with Lynda.com and we can expense training books if they're good. Where should I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Check the thread : The Cavern of COBOL > My Code is Fragmented - Android Development Megathread

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Not an Anthem posted:

Curious about people learning to write their own apps, how do you get started? I have very limited programming experience with basic C/C++, Java intro classes and lots of web based stuff. My work has a free account with Lynda.com and we can expense training books if they're good. Where should I start?

I'll give you an answer over in that thread if you post over there.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Not an Anthem posted:

This guys tutorial was a huge bump for me
http://www.vogella.com/articles/Android/article.html

Read it... do the programs he makes. Big help for me. Especially the fragments.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

At first I was incredulous about this, but on further reflection I'm thinking that maybe they didn't communicate very well.

I mean...who cares if people pirate it? How does making it free get you more money?

However, I think the important part they left out is that there are direct costs to them with each install. I'm not familiar with whether their game has some sort of server component that they maintain, but I'm sure there are support costs involved. Returning emails from people who pirated the game and can't get it to work costs money with no return on investment.

Also consider that people who pirate it definitely will not be buying any of the IAPs (and yes, the game has IAPs, no matter what ambiguous language they try to use to imply that it does not).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Thermopyle posted:

At first I was incredulous about this, but on further reflection I'm thinking that maybe they didn't communicate very well.

I mean...who cares if people pirate it? How does making it free get you more money?

However, I think the important part they left out is that there are direct costs to them with each install. I'm not familiar with whether their game has some sort of server component that they maintain, but I'm sure there are support costs involved. Returning emails from people who pirated the game and can't get it to work costs money with no return on investment.

Do IAP work for pirated apps? I assumed not and figured that was a part of the reasoning behind this move.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My working assumption (that is supported by the little bit of objective evidence available on the matter) is that pirates aren't going to buy the software anyway.

If that is correct, and I was in the developers shoes, I'd look in to making it so IAP works on pirated versions and keep a reasonable price on the Play Store. Of course, depending on the market, "free" might be the most reasonable price if it drives enough downloads to compensate for lost direct sales revenue with IAP.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

IT Guy posted:

First off, all I have to say is that is an obnoxious way to display notifications, but to each his own.

I wouldn't want notifications to be displayed like that normally when I'm using the phone, but it's really nice when the phone is sleeping on my desk.

quote:

It does look like he has a free version though which you could try before buy.

Sadly, it doesn't work. Notifications don't actually get displayed over the lock screen. I've looked around and it seems like I'm SOL for apps that do what I want (i.e. replicate the iOS lock screen notification behavior).

If anybody has a suggestion for a way to see my notifications hands-free, I'm all ears.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Thermopyle posted:

My working assumption (that is supported by the little bit of objective evidence available on the matter) is that pirates aren't going to buy the software anyway.

If that is correct, and I was in the developers shoes, I'd look in to making it so IAP works on pirated versions and keep a reasonable price on the Play Store. Of course, depending on the market, "free" might be the most reasonable price if it drives enough downloads to compensate for lost direct sales revenue with IAP.

What's unpleasant about it is that they're going to try to keep making money on it one way or another, right? So if they've decided they don't want anyone's purchase price anymore then logically IAP revenue will need to be increased accordingly. This never works out in the player's favor.

I thought the game looked cool, but I wasn't willing to pay up front for a game that also had IAP that most people said was required to progress reasonably. I'm not sure how I feel about this now that it's just another Freemium game. Is this a step forward, back, or sideways?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thoom posted:

If anybody has a suggestion for a way to see my notifications hands-free, I'm all ears.
I'm guessing whatever device this is doesn't have a notification LED? Even if it doesn't, with root certain apps can be used to trigger the battery LED on notifications (like LightFlow.)

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing whatever device this is doesn't have a notification LED? Even if it doesn't, with root certain apps can be used to trigger the battery LED on notifications (like LightFlow.)

Unless LightFlow can blink out the text of emails in morse code, that's not really what I'm looking for.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sure this must get requested all the drat time but I didn't explicitly see it in the OP. What is a great play-by-folder music playing app? I searched for something along those lines, tried a few apps and I'm not really satisfied with any of them :(

I have a lot of music with unkept meta tags so the normal play by album / band poo poo doesn't work for me so well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Music Folder Player for free/simple, PowerAmp for $/complex.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sab669 posted:

I'm sure this must get requested all the drat time but I didn't explicitly see it in the OP. What is a great play-by-folder music playing app? I searched for something along those lines, tried a few apps and I'm not really satisfied with any of them :(

I have a lot of music with unkept meta tags so the normal play by album / band poo poo doesn't work for me so well.

I've always played all my music from playlists and have always wondered why anybody would ever do it any other way.

If you have songs you want to listen to in multiple situations, do you just make duplicates or something?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
For me, the folder is the playlist and thus I can use it on any device. Are there any playlist formats that work between an iPod, a PC music player (or iTunes for PC I guess to simplify the iPod part), and an Android music app?

I usually like to just listen to albums or sets all the way through, though, I don't like to do it "radio-style", so I can see where you're coming from. Sab669, if you want playlists too, PowerAmp's the way to go.

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I'll be honest on this one; I used to pirate practically every app. It didn't help that even basic apps for Windows Mobile would be $30.

Since switching to Android, I started out doing the same. It only took a few weeks for me to actually start buying apps though. Their prices are what helped, as well as frequent app updates which were rare on WinMo.

Slowly I bought every single app I pirated, especially jumping at sales to get something I hadn't paid for. Sure, they'll still be some that will pirate, but they'll gain a lot more people buying apps/games if they are reasonably priced.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Goontastic posted:

but they'll gain a lot more people buying apps/games if they are reasonably priced.

One would think $1 is reasonably priced but that doesn't seem to be the case

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Not for something with Insert Coin To Continue-style IAPs.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'll admit to pirating a few apps over the years I've been on Android. The way I've justified it is that I only ever do it as an "extended trial" of sorts. I'd download it, test it for a few days to see if it was worth it, then either buy it or delete it. I've never kept a pirated app. I'm not proud of it, but, at the same time, I don't feel TERRIBLE about it, because it has led to me purchasing quite a few apps. I've also started making a slightly better amount of money, so I don't mind wasting a buck or two every few weeks on apps.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

golgo13sf posted:

One would think $1 is reasonably priced but that doesn't seem to be the case

I think a lot of people were pissed off that they were basically double charging people. One with the app install and the other with in app charges. I never played the game but I've heard that the game play was affected if you didn't buy the in app guns which is usually considered bad by a lot of people.

I'm not advocating piracy, I've never pirated anything on the Android platform, but doing in app purchases for stuff after you've bought the game is lovely (but only if it affects game play if you choose not to purchase it).

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 23, 2012

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
Is there an app that I can use to play audiobooks such that I don't have to plug them into my Music library? Because there's nothing worse than skipping through 16 audiobook chapters when your library is on shuffle.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Audible.

Put a .nomedia file in your audiobooks folder if you're using the stock Music player so it doesn't pick them up when it scans, or exclude the folders from the library of whatever music app you use.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Not for something with Insert Coin To Continue-style IAPs.

IT Guy posted:

I think a lot of people were pissed off that they were basically double charging people. One with the app install and the other with in app charges. I never played the game but I've heard that the game play was affected if you didn't buy the in app guns which is usually considered bad by a lot of people.

I'm not advocating piracy, I've never pirated anything on the Android platform, but doing in app purchases for stuff after you've bought the game is lovely (but only if it affects game play if you choose not to purchase it).

If you can't beat the game without IAP (or it's incredibly difficult to do so) then that is lovely and they should be ostracized for it. Extra levels are kosher as far as I'm concerned.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Nayato posted:

Is there an app that I can use to play audiobooks such that I don't have to plug them into my Music library? Because there's nothing worse than skipping through 16 audiobook chapters when your library is on shuffle.

I use MortPlayer, and I absolutely love it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stohelit.audiobookplayer&hl=en

It saves position, organizes chapters automatically, has sleep features and is free. All I could ask for, really.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

golgo13sf posted:

If you can't beat the game without IAP (or it's incredibly difficult to do so) then that is lovely and they should be ostracized for it. Extra levels are kosher as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, exactly. I think of game IAPs as coming in two flavors:

Insert Coin To Continue

Hey Look, Cool Extras!

I've probably spent $50 on Castle Crashers (XBLA) by now, buying it at least twice and all the DLC a couple times, because the game is awesome and perfectly beatable without the DLC. However, the DLC is all awesome and adds a lot of fun (without adding anything more powerful than the original content). If it was free but they'd then wanted $20 or $25 worth of sequential IAPs to be able to make it through each level then I would've quit playing it years ago. I probably wouldn't ever have picked it up.

The problem with power-adding IAPs is they force doubt, they leave you to wonder if you can't beat something because a) you suck, do better or b) Insert Coin, and if you do buy something to get past it then there's a nagging "I wonder if I could've done it myself" that sticks with you. I think this degrades the experience of any given game.

For a recent example, I beat Strikeforce Omega without buying anything and without grinding, and I didn't do that great throughout the game, mostly 1- and 2-(out of 3)starring the levels. I don't feel like I was a particularly impressive or "hardcore" player. However, some people in the Games thread were really angry about how the game simply could not be beaten without "buying some of their crappy spacebucks to get through it". Those guys got hosed by the IAP power-adding system, it eroded their confidence and shitted up the game for them, and that sucks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Music Folder Player for free/simple, PowerAmp for $/complex.

I tried MFP quickly this morning and wasn't too thrilled with it before work, I'll have to give it a second try later I guess.

Thoom posted:

I've always played all my music from playlists and have always wondered why anybody would ever do it any other way.

If you have songs you want to listen to in multiple situations, do you just make duplicates or something?

Like Splizwarf said, albums are my play lists. I hate listening to stuff on random or otherwise not in the order the music came in. A lot of my music flows from 1 track to the next so when you listen to it, you literally won't know the track even changed (unless there's that awkward 1 second pause in between tracks).

It's weird, but to me, listening to music in any order other than how it is on the CD would be like jumping from chapter 1 to chapter 3 to 8 in a book.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sab669 posted:

As is the default answer for anything related to music, Poweramp does this and does it well enough that I tend to use it rather than the library. However, it does cost Actual Cash Money.

edit:
Folder view (as a hierarchy, can also be grid style or just a list of all folders non-heirarchical style):

Folder view options:

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 23, 2012

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sab669 posted:

Like Splizwarf said, albums are my play lists. I hate listening to stuff on random or otherwise not in the order the music came in. A lot of my music flows from 1 track to the next so when you listen to it, you literally won't know the track even changed (unless there's that awkward 1 second pause in between tracks).
That makes sense. Most of my music is singles and/or soundtracks which aren't really ordered.

My natural instinct is to put things in playlists, so when I do have an album, I stick it into a playlist containing only that album (or sometimes a discography).

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So, I recently switched from an iPhone4S to a Galaxy S3. I rooted and am running the CM9 nightlies (TouchWiz was gross) and am generally loving the phone so far.

The one thing I'm worried about right now is backups. I spent a bit of time reading about this, but everyone seems to recommend random applications for backing up specific things (i.e. only SMS or only applications). Is there a single goon recommended app (or a google tool somewhere that I've missed) that will do this? Preferably something that will sync to the cloud but also that I can save a backup of locally. I guess what I'm looking for is something similar to the single click iTunes backup/restore.

I just sense something going wrong with CM9 and having to do a full wipe in the future.

EDIT: It looks like Titanium might work for this? Worth the $7?

tonic fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 23, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I very seldom backup my apps and whatnot, but, when I do, I really like Super Manager. It handles all that, as well as being a pretty nice file explorer/manager and a bunch of stuff. It used to be completely free, but I think they recently made the backup feature cost a buck or two. It was worth it to me.

Also, everyone and their mother recommend Titanium Backup for this. It works too, but Super Manager is cheaper and does more.

Also, get in the habit of making a nandroid backup fairly regularly.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

Splizwarf posted:

Audible.

Put a .nomedia file in your audiobooks folder if you're using the stock Music player so it doesn't pick them up when it scans, or exclude the folders from the library of whatever music app you use.

Freezer posted:

I use MortPlayer, and I absolutely love it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stohelit.audiobookplayer&hl=en

It saves position, organizes chapters automatically, has sleep features and is free. All I could ask for, really.

Thank you both! MortPlayer is working just fine, and the .nomedia file worked perfectly. I appreciate it. :)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

tonic posted:

So, I recently switched from an iPhone4S to a Galaxy S3. I rooted and am running the CM9 nightlies (TouchWiz was gross) and am generally loving the phone so far.

The one thing I'm worried about right now is backups. I spent a bit of time reading about this, but everyone seems to recommend random applications for backing up specific things (i.e. only SMS or only applications). Is there a single goon recommended app (or a google tool somewhere that I've missed) that will do this? Preferably something that will sync to the cloud but also that I can save a backup of locally. I guess what I'm looking for is something similar to the single click iTunes backup/restore.

I just sense something going wrong with CM9 and having to do a full wipe in the future.

EDIT: It looks like Titanium might work for this? Worth the $7?

Yes, Titanium Backup does all of this and is well worth the money. You can backup apps and their data, including systems apps and system data, and store it locally and/or back it up do Dropbox/Box/Drive. You can also backup SMS and Call Logs. It does neat other stuff to but those are the selling points.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes, Titanium Backup does all of this and is well worth the money. You can backup apps and their data, including systems apps and system data, and store it locally and/or back it up do Dropbox/Box/Drive. You can also backup SMS and Call Logs. It does neat other stuff to but those are the selling points.
I'd add to this that it does SMS and Call Log backups but it doesn't do them well. I've found no way to schedule them to be backed up, for instance, and no way to manage the backups (send to cloud storage, keep/delete so many, etc.), and they're not done as part of the whole system/user apps/data backup that one would imagine would include them.

That said Titanium is well worth whatever the dev wants to charge, it's an invaluable tool for the rooted user.

TheQuagmire
May 14, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So what would be a good media player app to use? and do I need to like download a codec pack for certain file types? mkv/ogm etc?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheQuagmire posted:

So what would be a good media player app to use? and do I need to like download a codec pack for certain file types? mkv/ogm etc?

Just download MX Player.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I use DICE player, but I seem to be in the minority. Does MX have anything major over DICE?

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Is there any app that can clear Gmail/Exchange/Gtalk notifications when read on other devices?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gravitom posted:

Is there any app that can clear Gmail/Exchange/Gtalk notifications when read on other devices?
Not that I've ever seen. The problem with GMail (and I'd imagine Exchange though I've never used it on my phone) is that even if you read it, the new number of unread messages causes a new notification (which clears the old one, but doesn't solve the problem you're having).

I have had Talk notifications clear when I respond using my computer but I've never figured out why some clear but the vast majority do not.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'd add to this that it does SMS and Call Log backups but it doesn't do them well. I've found no way to schedule them to be backed up, for instance, and no way to manage the backups (send to cloud storage, keep/delete so many, etc.), and they're not done as part of the whole system/user apps/data backup that one would imagine would include them.

Sure it does, they're in the Phone Storage and Contact Storage system apps. You can generally even restore these between ROMs unless they are wildly different (e.g. Sense -> AOSP). I used to use SMS Backup & Restore but it's not really needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Sure it does, they're in the Phone Storage and Contact Storage system apps. You can generally even restore these between ROMs unless they are wildly different (e.g. Sense -> AOSP). I used to use SMS Backup & Restore but it's not really needed.
I know it's supposed to do that but it has never, ever restored that for me, even when I restored everything from the same ROM to the same ROM (when you've had a G2x you do a lot of restoring across identical devices). Not once has it ever worked for me. I use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore just because every time I've tried to use Titanium to do it it's failed.

They have a new feature to do it, it's in the (godawful) menu, called something like Export to .xml... that does it the same way the apps above do it, but as I said there's no way to automate that within Titanium.

• Locked thread