Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

To be honest I've only read the first issue as I prefer to read Brubakers work in trade but it was more a general statement of "if you like their past collabs you'll probably like this".

Like I said, I enjoyed it (and did quite enjoy that first issue), but it was when it got to the point where I had to keep looking back at my previous copies that I felt like it was written for the trade. I know it's a reality of the business that if you want to make a steady flow of cash, you need those monthly books, but I really appreciate it when a writer seems to be aware that the reader will have a month-long disconnect between issues.

For anyone not reading Alabaster: Wolves, it does a pretty good job of this, giving the faintest of recaps through realistic dialog. It's also a pretty beautiful, violent series that people should be reading...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Ah, yeah, I was just assuming Graham was only doing 12 issues because he said initially it was 6, but then he got extra art talent to push it to 12. I'd definitely enjoy more than a year of this quality, though.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Six AM posted:

Ah, yeah, I was just assuming Graham was only doing 12 issues because he said initially it was 6, but then he got extra art talent to push it to 12. I'd definitely enjoy more than a year of this quality, though.

Yeah, pretty sure that "initially it was 6" was referring to a yearly thing, when it was just him and Roy. Almost positive he's only going to quit when he's done with his story, which sounds like it'll be a bit.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.
As someone who's new to comics I also wish that Image would have started from #1 with the reboots. Prophet is one of my favorite books right now and I probably wouldn't have picked it up unless I accidentally read about #21 being the reboot issue.

I mostly find new titles by checking upcoming releases and researching anything that sounds interesting, but any title that's in double digits gets pretty low priority. Anything in triple digits is out of the question entirely, even if there are very distinct, stand-alone storylines because, like al-azad mentioned, I have no idea of knowing where they start and end without doing more research than I would like to. Issue #195 might as well be issue # Don't Even Bother.

I picked up "Atomic Robo and the Flying She-Devils of the Pacific" #1 recently because I wanted to check out some Atomic Robo. Despite the book's history, the fact that there's a #1 for a specifically labelled story arc is very welcoming to someone like me.

al-azad posted:

Even Glory #23 said on the cover "1st issue in a bold new era for extreme." Um, no, it's not the 1st issue it's the 23rd! What am I missing?

That was a nice consideration, but, yeah, it's still confusing and it's only helpful if you happen to see #23 on the shelves or see some advertising beforehand. The first issue of Glory that I saw was #25, which didn't have the disclaimer. I liked the cover but passed on it because it already seemed too well-established. I would have been much more interested if I knew that I was actually looking at issue #3.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I looked up some of the old Liefeld Prophet issues, and it's like, why are they even the same series, let alone numbered sequentially? If I were those guys, I wouldn't even want to be associated with that X-tream 90's bullshit. It's baffling.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 21, 2012

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Well, Liefeld is helping to bankroll the project, so I don't think they could really go "gently caress this! We don't want to be associated with your old properties at all!"

The original justification I read was that they wanted to differentiate the Extreme relaunch from the DC reboot in that they're not technically throwing out the old stories. But in the case of Prophet and Glory, the new stuff is so different that they might as well have. I mean, can you imagine all those awful swimsuit issues having happened with gigantic human tank Glory instead?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Planetoid #2 was another great issue. Definitely recommending it. A mix of Conan and sci fi pulp.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Planetoid #2 was another great issue. Definitely recommending it. A mix of Conan and sci fi pulp.

I have not heard of this, can you elaborate?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Has anyone read Fantagraphics' The Furry Trap by Josh Simmons? I was thinking about ordering it but there's a fine line between enjoyable or interesting depravity and tiresome edginess.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Darth Nat posted:

The original justification I read was that they wanted to differentiate the Extreme relaunch from the DC reboot in that they're not technically throwing out the old stories. But in the case of Prophet and Glory, the new stuff is so different that they might as well have. I mean, can you imagine all those awful swimsuit issues having happened with gigantic human tank Glory instead?

This, and again, Brandon does have plans to tie Prophet back in, which will no doubt be amazing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
:psyduck: Man, I just finished King City, and I have no idea what the gently caress I just read.

Are there any, like, analyses of it? Or at least a full synopsis? Because that ending was kinda baffling.

Was an entertaining read, though. Dense loving artwork, too; definitely going to reread it again soon to see all the poo poo I missed.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Planetoid is a sci-fi survival series about a lone, Conan type wandering the wilderness type protagonist who crash lands onto an asteroid that has apparently been used as a garbage dump and is covered with metal scrap. So it starts out shockingly like Soldier, the bad Kurt Russel film. But it feels more like a Conan type story and the art is very good.

AmericanBarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 22, 2012

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Has anyone read Archaia's Grand Duke? It looks really interesting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Sure. Written and drawn by Ken Garing, a battle scarred warrior washes up on an alien planet, and proceeds to wreck poo poo. The ecology he makes up for the planet is pretty interesting, and pretty unique as well.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Anal Tributary posted:

:psyduck: Man, I just finished King City, and I have no idea what the gently caress I just read.

Are there any, like, analyses of it? Or at least a full synopsis? Because that ending was kinda baffling.

Was an entertaining read, though. Dense loving artwork, too; definitely going to reread it again soon to see all the poo poo I missed.

I'm working on some notes and things about it, but I don't know what you mean by analyses. What gave you trouble?

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

Shageletic posted:

See, I'm getting a very 'western' vibe off it. Like, this page is some serious Man With No Name stuff.

But yeah, it's pretty amazing. And surprisingly funny, too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah....

I'm gonna have to go find this now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What I especially love about it is what it leaves out. The exposition isn't wordy, and the narrative is sparse. I can totally see this as a Sergio Leone joint.

In regards to other stuff, checked out Portent #1. It's a fantasy comic that involves the dead and living mashing together with a Zatoichi-like (though not blind) hero stepping into the middle of it. Not quite as exciting or interesting as Saga or Siegfried (the better of the two I think), it still merits at least a look.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

bairfanx posted:

I'm working on some notes and things about it, but I don't know what you mean by analyses. What gave you trouble?

I guess I'm not sure if there was more to the character arcs that I missed, or what. By the end of it, I guess Joe got over Anna by helping her save her boyfriend, the big tentacle monster thing gets completed and is revealed to be a giant cat for some reason, and everyone sort of goes their own separate ways. It just felt really anticlimactic - I know that Joe refusing Beebay's request to go fight the giant monster was supposed to be a big deal, I guess, but it just sorta came out of nowhere. Plus, I never quite got what Beebay was doing in the first place, and what she wanted from Joe/the Owls/etc.

I guess I feel like I missed a lot of exposition in general, and I'm not sure if that's because I actually missed something or if it's just not there.

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

Anal Tributary posted:

I guess I'm not sure if there was more to the character arcs that I missed, or what. By the end of it, I guess Joe got over Anna by helping her save her boyfriend, the big tentacle monster thing gets completed and is revealed to be a giant cat for some reason, and everyone sort of goes their own separate ways. It just felt really anticlimactic - I know that Joe refusing Beebay's request to go fight the giant monster was supposed to be a big deal, I guess, but it just sorta came out of nowhere. Plus, I never quite got what Beebay was doing in the first place, and what she wanted from Joe/the Owls/etc.

I guess I feel like I missed a lot of exposition in general, and I'm not sure if that's because I actually missed something or if it's just not there.

For me, the point of King City is entirely encapsulated in Mudd's words to Joe.

"There'll always be some demon king or million gore vortex. Catch the next one. Take care of your people now."

The whole series, Joe's built up as the chosen one, the guy who's going to be the deciding factor in this war between two factions, where both sides seem equally menacing. But, he's ultimately forced to reexamine his priorities.

Graham's previously said that his editors at TokyoPop pushed back against him, to give Joe more of a character arc, and have him evolve over the course of the series. But, I think that what he ultimately does instead, is infinitely more satisfying.

Really, Joe's big character arc begins with, "It's almost too much for me and I hate how much I've missed her. My girl," and is resolved with the phrase, "Anna's not my girl. Not anymore."

He doesn't get to be the chosen one, he doesn't get the glory, or the girl. He does the right thing, and it hurts, but it gives him closure. Good triumphed over evil and that's swell, but more importantly, Joe was always there for his friends when they needed him, and life goes on.

You're not wrong in saying it's anticlimactic, but I suppose that just made me like it more. In the end, Joe's big victory doesn't come with a lot of sturm und drang, but it's still important.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Munchface posted:

You're not wrong in saying it's anticlimactic, but I suppose that just made me like it more. In the end, Joe's big victory doesn't come with a lot of sturm und drang, but it's still important.

I think there was a little bit of serendipity there. In the collected edition, Graham wrote that he had wanted to have a big climactic battle against the Cthulhu monster with Joe saving the day, but he ran out of space by the time he got to the last issues of the book because he wound up taking more time on character development than he'd anticipated. So I think that would be the source of the previous poster's puzzlement; the series was initially setting up one ending and then swerved by the end to do something completely different and better. I think Graham might have even been planning to kill Max when he started the series, which I'm really glad he didn't do because that would have been such bullshit. Apparently spending so much time on his character arc wasn't part of the initial plan, so we wound up getting the Anna and Max story in place of a bunch of scenes of the catmasters fighting the big blobby thing.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Am I the only one reading Fatima: The Blood Spinners?

If not, does anyone else feel that Gilbert Hernandez might be just loving with them?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Munchface posted:

"There'll always be some demon king or million gore vortex. Catch the next one. Take care of your people now."

I was really just going to quote this one line, then I saw you already did. This is pretty much the overall meaning of King City to me; the big things are big and important all right, but the small things are arguably bigger and far more important in so many ways.

What good is it if you save the world and you don't have anyone left to share it with?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Was Taters posted:

Am I the only one reading Fatima: The Blood Spinners?

If not, does anyone else feel that Gilbert Hernandez might be just loving with them?

Read the first issue and punched out. Seems like a lovely way to spend a few bucks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fatima wasn't particularly engaging but it was giving me a pulp 60s/70s sci-fi vibe with its drug based plot, out of place lingo, goofy equipment like blow dryer guns, and codpieces. Bagge's Reset ended last week and it was a great story that started strong but ended abruptly so I'll give Fatima hopes for a redeeming 2nd issue.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, I wrote a review of this boring comic, Only Living Boy. I hated it; it was probably one of the worst things I've read in a long time. The writer, some two weeks after we published the review, starts berating me on Twitter, insisting that I was guilty of gross incompetence for saying his story was a bad knock-off of Kamandi and confusing the Chrysler building with the Empire State Building (which had zero relevance to the story or my review).

The book is poorly written, full of cliches, and lacks quality storytelling in both its images and words. It's also $8 for 48 pages. If you can take a look at it for free, check it out to judge for yourself, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to drop money on it.

edit: or it's $7. Either way, Wild Children is a much better investment.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 27, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bairfanx posted:

So, I wrote a review of this boring comic, Only Living Boy. I hated it; it was probably one of the worst things I've read in a long time. The writer, some two weeks after we published the review, starts berating me on Twitter, insisting that I was guilty of gross incompetence for saying his story was a bad knock-off of Kamandi and confusing the Chrysler building with the Empire State Building (which had zero relevance to the story or my review).

The book is poorly written, full of cliches, and lacks quality storytelling in both its images and words. It's also $8 for 48 pages. If you can take a look at it for free, check it out to judge for yourself, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to drop money on it.

You talking about this?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Yup!

Guess at $1 digital, that's not nearly as ridiculous as the print version.

edit: but I still wouldn't pay for it.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 27, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bairfanx posted:

Yup!

Guess at $1 digital, that's not nearly as ridiculous as the print version.

edit: but I still wouldn't pay for it.

I'm assuming it's this review? I'm reading this guy's tweets and he's not someone I want to support. I can understand loving your work but acting like a child over one negative review is inexcusable. Who the gently caress cares, what are you trying to prove by doing this?

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
Does anyone know what happened to Hickman's Secret series? The first two issues came out, and the third one was solicited for this week but was a no-show and now the solicits for issues 3, 4, and 5 all say TBD. I thought it had some potential so I hope things didn't go south for it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

al-azad posted:

I'm assuming it's this review? I'm reading this guy's tweets and he's not someone I want to support. I can understand loving your work but acting like a child over one negative review is inexcusable. Who the gently caress cares, what are you trying to prove by doing this?

It is! I'm generally a pretty big supporter of indie books and if I'd discovered the comic on my own, rather than had it as an assignment, I just wouldn't have reviewed it. I'm a believer that telling people about the 1% of good things instead of the 99% of bad ones is generaly far more useful for everyone.

And the story has an appeal to it; the setting reminded me a lot of Thundarr the Barbarian (or rather, what I remembered from it from my childhood), to the point that if you really dig those kind of stories, there might be something there for you, but there wasn't for me.

On lighter notes, Prophet and Manhattan Projects were simply grand this week. Graham keeps adding layer after layer of depth to his story and Prophet's backstory and Hickman is doing some of his best work, fusing sci-fi and history into this slightly creepy comic where the only person that seems genuinely human is Feynman.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

gogisha posted:

Does anyone know what happened to Hickman's Secret series? The first two issues came out, and the third one was solicited for this week but was a no-show and now the solicits for issues 3, 4, and 5 all say TBD. I thought it had some potential so I hope things didn't go south for it.

Secret #3 got pushed back to an August 15 release, or at least that's the latest news I'm aware of. I think it's just delayed to all hell, reasons unknown.

And it's a little frustrating because those first two issues were really cool and there's so much more to find out.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Secret #3 got pushed back to an August 15 release, or at least that's the latest news I'm aware of. I think it's just delayed to all hell, reasons unknown.

And it's a little frustrating because those first two issues were really cool and there's so much more to find out.

Yeah, plus the way the story's told I'll have to keep re-reading the previous issues every time a new one comes out if they take this long. As an aside, I really like the coloring jobs that both Manhattan Projects and Secret are getting. I think the stark contrasts between pages and bright, flat color choices really work for the bizarre/intricate stories being told. But I'm kind of a Hickman fanboy so take that as you will.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gogisha posted:

Yeah, plus the way the story's told I'll have to keep re-reading the previous issues every time a new one comes out if they take this long. As an aside, I really like the coloring jobs that both Manhattan Projects and Secret are getting. I think the stark contrasts between pages and bright, flat color choices really work for the bizarre/intricate stories being told. But I'm kind of a Hickman fanboy so take that as you will.

The other thing I like about Manhattan Projects is the use of solid red for things that have negative things attached to them (The Oppenheimers, the chair/belt/stick in Feynman's flashback, etc). It's just this really quick and easy way to know THIS IS BAD

REALLY BAD

Secret's "one color at a time" thing is unique as all hell and I'd love for more to come out so I could talk more about it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Dickeye posted:

The other thing I like about Manhattan Projects is the use of solid red for things that have negative things attached to them (The Oppenheimers, the chair/belt/stick in Feynman's flashback, etc). It's just this really quick and easy way to know THIS IS BAD

REALLY BAD

Secret's "one color at a time" thing is unique as all hell and I'd love for more to come out so I could talk more about it.

I'm more than a little confused by that flashback, because didn't Weiss say something about how he preferred the stick after he went through the gate?

I thought it was very obviously Feynman until that part. :-/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bairfanx posted:

I'm more than a little confused by that flashback, because didn't Weiss say something about how he preferred the stick after he went through the gate?

I thought it was very obviously Feynman until that part. :-/

Well we don't see him choose, and neither choice is really a good one. Dude's still getting beaten, it's just degrees of shittiness.

It's definitely Feynman in that flashback though, the face is literally just a smaller version of adult Feynman's head.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Dickeye posted:

Well we don't see him choose, and neither choice is really a good one. Dude's still getting beaten, it's just degrees of shittiness.

It's definitely Feynman in that flashback though, the face is literally just a smaller version of adult Feynman's head.

I guess what I was trying to say is that it's not really clear that Feynman is the narrator as Weiss is all over the page and the one making decisions.

The flashback seemed obvious that it was Feynman, until I had him narrating later at a spot where it didn't really seem to make sense. I keep forgetting that our narration seems to all come from him

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
MP is a great book, but that art is doing everything possible to bring it down a bit. I do like that Hickman is standing behind his boy, though. That is really cool in what sounds like a shameless rear end industry if you pay too much attention to the big two, especially DC.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Six AM posted:

MP is a great book, but that art is doing everything possible to bring it down a bit. I do like that Hickman is standing behind his boy, though. That is really cool in what sounds like a shameless rear end industry if you pay too much attention to the big two, especially DC.

Funny thing is that I didn't like the art much at first, but I'm really starting to dig it now. Pitarra feels kinda like a dirtier version of Quitely, which seems to fit really well.

And DC does seem pretty shameless, but then I remind myself that Len Wein gets more for money for film appearances of Lucius Fox than he does for Wolverine, both of which he created/co-created.

That's not meant to make DC look better, just a reminder of one of the many ways that Marvel sucks too.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Six AM posted:

Man I love the art in Manhattan Projects, I would even say it adds to the story more than anything Hickman has done. A lot of times I feel his writing is "out there" while the artwork is standard to sub-standard (on some of his more independent stuff). That might be an unpopular opinion, but it seems like the perfect fit for his off-kilter style IMO.