Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hey I'd like to talk about Schwarzbier for a bit.

Though it was a limited brew, Two Brothers in Illinois did a schwarzbier called Reprieve that was amazing to me. Of all the traditional German styles, this is definitely my favorite.

Also had a Dragon's Milk the other night for the first time in a long time and I gotta say that I always underrate that brew. It's not top of the style by far but for a year round beer, I should partake more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
It may be 80 at 11pm, but it's not too hot to try out this Marshal Zhukov I've been sitting on since January. It's cold down by my computer so gently caress it, I'm pretending it's cold out.

e: yeah okay this beer is pretty good. gently caress.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 24, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Docjowles posted:

I'm not sure if New Belgium 1554 counts as a Schwarzbier in BJCP terms or not (as a funny aside, Texas is the reason they call it an ale despite using lager yeast... the ABV is slightly too high to be labeled a lager under Texas law)

I was actually going to mention 1554 in an edit because I remember it tasting like a black lager, but when I looked it up on RateBeer it said "black ale" so I figured it was something different from Schwarzbier. Either way, yes, it's awesome and doesn't get enough attention from bars.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Schwarzbiers are loving great, 1554 is my favorite New Belgium beer and I always know a brewpub is good if they can make a good schwarz.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Well, it's been an entire day and no one posted this.

http://www.oncemadebeer.com/

Basically Pintley teamed up with what I guess are two MA breweries, Night Shift Brewing and Backlash Beer, to make a $22.50 / 750ml "imperial sour saison." I don't think I've ever seen so many buzz words on one page before. They then emailed their entire userbase, which is what actually upset me most :colbert:

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

Basically Pintley teamed up with what I guess are two MA breweries, Night Shift Brewing and Backlash Beer, to make a $22.50 / 750ml "imperial sour saison." I don't think I've ever seen so many buzz words on one page before. They then emailed their entire userbase, which is what actually upset me most :colbert:

The brewers aged these beers with Massachusetts raspberries and Brett Yeast in locally-sourced Red Wine Barrels and California Brandy Barrels. Each hand-numbered pinewood box includes two 750ML beers, two hand-made wooden coasters, a piece of one of the barrels, and a signed letter from the brewers. These beers are exclusive to the project, and there will only be 900 two-bottle packages ever brewed!

That's the actual formatting of the email, all that funky word presentation has got me excited for this UNFORGETTABLE EXTREMELY LIMITED beer.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
1554 is delicious, but I don't think of it as a schwarzbier. My favorite schwarzbiers are from Ayinger and Monschof, although I do enjoy Shiner's and Duck Rabbit's as well.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

SnowDog posted:

Every once in a while I pick up a six-pack of Sam Adams Black Lager; it may just be my favorite of their brews. And, nothing says "tailgating in the fall" like Magic Hat "Howl," even if I've sworn off most of their other stuff.

My quest to find more Schwarzbier specimens has only been derailed because I fell in love with IPAs early this spring and can't seem to stop.

Come fall, I think it'll be back to Porters and Schwarzbiers 24/7.

Ditto on the Sam Adams Black Lager. I wish I could actually find it in a sixer but I've never seen it in anything but variety packs here. Session Black Lager is a nice substitute though.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

dumptruckzzz posted:

The brewers aged these beers with Massachusetts raspberries and Brett Yeast in locally-sourced Red Wine Barrels and California Brandy Barrels. Each hand-numbered pinewood box includes two 750ML beers, two hand-made wooden coasters, a piece of one of the barrels, and a signed letter from the brewers. These beers are exclusive to the project, and there will only be 900 two-bottle packages ever brewed!

That's the actual formatting of the email, all that funky word presentation has got me excited for this UNFORGETTABLE EXTREMELY LIMITED beer.

Do people actually care about any of the extras? I feel more people would buy this if they dropped the price and left out the stupid piece of the barrel, the letter, coasted and dumb pinewood box. Then again, people are stupid and they will probably sell every single one of these

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

RiggenBlaque posted:

Do people actually care about any of the extras? I feel more people would buy this if they dropped the price and left out the stupid piece of the barrel, the letter, coasted and dumb pinewood box. Then again, people are stupid and they will probably sell every single one of these

if i lived in the area, i'd definitely buy it. not for the extra crap, of course, but because the beers sounds interesting. don't really dig the promotion of it, either, but it's kind of whatever and i'm a curmudgeon. do have to wonder why they emphasize something being locally-sourced when they're also getting stuff from CA (and shouldn't the brandy barrels be local and the wine barrels from CA?).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm a nerd who enjoys extra swag and packaging and this does nothing for me. Just give me a the bottles and add wax if you want them to seem "special".

I do like the Gratitude bottles, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Docjowles posted:

I'm not sure if New Belgium 1554 counts as a Schwarzbier in BJCP terms or not (as a funny aside, Texas is the reason they call it an ale despite using lager yeast... the ABV is slightly too high to be labeled a lager under Texas law)

That changed due to Jester King's lawsuit against the Texas ABC.

Speaking of Jester King, we just started getting them in Philly. Anything in particular I should look for?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Phanatic posted:

Speaking of Jester King, we just started getting them in Philly. Anything in particular I should look for?

Noble King and Das Wunderkind (2nd favorite JK beer behind the original BM) if you spot them. Maybe Drink'n The Sunbelt if any is still around. You're likely gonna be getting Farmhouse Black Metal, which I don't really care for.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

heads-up- Cascade Apricot on letspour, one per customer

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Phanatic posted:

That changed due to Jester King's lawsuit against the Texas ABC.

That's good, since it was retarded. In that case I'd guess they just don't care to rebrand 1554 as a lager at this point.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

funkybottoms posted:

heads-up- Cascade Apricot on letspour, one per customer

sheeeeit, $20 shipping if I only get the one bottle? But the rest of their poo poo is so expensive.....

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

sheeeeit, $20 shipping if I only get the one bottle? But the rest of their poo poo is so expensive.....

Yeah, this place has been discussed before. I actually don't think their bomber prices are outrageous at $1/$2 extra per what I see in Chicago. Even then, though, you're looking at spending ~$100 to make sure you get free shipping. And the 12oz'ers are horribly overpriced.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Why not order Apricot directly from Cascade?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I don't even know if its worth it considering you can mail order Cascade beers directly from the brewery. Does anybody know how much Cascade charges for shipping?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

oh, yeah, Cascade does ship, forgot about that. just saw it, knew it was a hype beer and thought it might be of interest to some of you

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Why not order Apricot directly from Cascade?

Yeah I wasn't aware this was possible, looks like that's exactly what I'll be doing now.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Yeah I wasn't aware this was possible, looks like that's exactly what I'll be doing now.

http://shop.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com

Apricot is $18/bottle. 2 bottle minimum for orders. Sang Noir and The Vine are also available (and I would recommend getting some of those before buying the Apricot).

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012
So I am going up to Vancouver B.C. for a long sexy weekend with the lady, and I would love to sample a some of the local brews. Anyone have much experience with some Vancouver beers? I hear there is some good stuff from Granville Island, but other than that I know nothing about their beer scene.

Any goons out West know some good spots?

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I just got back from a vacation to Vancouver. It's not local, but buy Cantillon. It's all over the place there. As far as local beers go, I liked Whistler Brewery's grapefruit pale ale and Parallel 49's Seedspitter. Both are well made fruit beers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dirty Phil posted:

So I am going up to Vancouver B.C. for a long sexy weekend with the lady, and I would love to sample a some of the local brews. Anyone have much experience with some Vancouver beers? I hear there is some good stuff from Granville Island, but other than that I know nothing about their beer scene.

Same question, different long sexy weekend with a different lady in a different city: Montreal. Any recommendations?

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

danbanana posted:

Same question, different long sexy weekend with a different lady in a different city: Montreal. Any recommendations?

Who would have thought Canada is such a sexy place? Wish I could help you.

Sublimer posted:

I just got back from a vacation to Vancouver. It's not local, but buy Cantillon. It's all over the place there. As far as local beers go, I liked Whistler Brewery's grapefruit pale ale and Parallel 49's Seedspitter. Both are well made fruit beers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have heard of the grapefruit ale, and I am interested in trying. I am assuming the Seedspitter is a watermelon ale? If so can you compare to 21st Amendment's watermelon ale? It is the only watermelon context I really have.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dirty Phil posted:

Who would have thought Canada is such a sexy place? Wish I could help you.

It was between Montreal and Vancouver, actually. We picked Montreal because it seems like a more walkable town, which may or may not actually be true...

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Dirty Phil posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have heard of the grapefruit ale, and I am interested in trying. I am assuming the Seedspitter is a watermelon ale? If so can you compare to 21st Amendment's watermelon ale? It is the only watermelon context I really have.

It's a watermelon wheat ale. I've never had 21st Amendment's version so I can't compare. Seedspitter is drat tasty though, not too heavy on the watermelon flavor either which I think is a plus. I talked to the beer guy at the Brewery Creek liquor store (Highly recommend checking that place out, btw) and he told me the brewers used watermelon extract at first and thought that made it too sweet so then they tried just actual watermelon and that worked better. I don't know at what point they added it though I would think secondary fermentation.

They also have 2007 Brooklyn Monster Ale on shelf there which was a bit oxidized, but really smooth and mellowed out. I prefer it over fresh for sure and you know my favorite place to age beer is on the liquor store shelf :colbert:.

When I went I tried to go on a tour of the Granville Island Brewery, but they weren't offering any at the time. If you can make the two hour drive north to the Whistler Brewery their tour was pretty fun. $10 but it came with a flight of all their beers.

There really are a ton of local Canadian beers up there. I didn't really drink many of them though because I was too busy downing Cantillons :smug:

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Sublimer posted:

It's a watermelon wheat ale. I've never had 21st Amendment's version so I can't compare. Seedspitter is drat tasty though, not too heavy on the watermelon flavor either which I think is a plus. I talked to the beer guy at the Brewery Creek liquor store (Highly recommend checking that place out, btw) and he told me the brewers used watermelon extract at first and thought that made it too sweet so then they tried just actual watermelon and that worked better. I don't know at what point they added it though I would think secondary fermentation.

Awesome, thanks again for the suggestions. You should try 21st Amendment's watermelon beer. It sounds similar in being light on the watermelon flavor, nice clean finish. Very easy to drink. Funny how those extracts can make flavors waaaay stronger than expected :psyduck:

Hopefully the hotel we are staying at will be near Granville island; seems to be some cool things happening there. Brew tour will go on the tentative schedule. I am pretty excited to see what they have to offer in general. Last time I was in Vancouver it was years ago, and I did not know what good beer tasted like. I knew I liked nicer things than Bud or Miller, but beyond that it was all "micro" to me.

Won't be making it up to Whistler unfortunately, due to taking the train up to B.C., but I will keep that brewery in mind for when the guys and I can finally get our poo poo together for an epic ski vacation. Some day... :allears:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

edit: Disregard, thought this was the homebrew thread.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

drat, Delirium Tremens is delicious! That is all.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Sublimer posted:

When I went I tried to go on a tour of the Granville Island Brewery, but they weren't offering any at the time. If you can make the two hour drive north to the Whistler Brewery their tour was pretty fun. $10 but it came with a flight of all their beers.

The Granville Island tour is pretty good, They give you 3x6oz of their regulars and 1x6oz of a limited release. The guide was pretty good too, history, where the rest of the brewing is done, future plans and what have you.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Well I made it to Corvallis. Oregon is loving beautiful and so is Boneyard RPM IPA.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Wolfy posted:

Well I made it to Corvallis. Oregon is loving beautiful and so is Boneyard RPM IPA.

I love RPM the way I used to love Ninkasi's Total Domination. Not that Total Dom isn't good, it's just not what it used to be (or maybe my palate has changed).

A word of advice: avoid McMenamins. Some of their bars are cool, but you will be disappointed in the end.

hsgbomber
Jul 25, 2012
i live in a small german city, but we got our own beer here and its awesome.

webpage is down but heres the fb link http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glaabsbr%C3%A4u/160451533973064

if you ever visit germany and you love beer check all those small breweries along your trip

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

hsgbomber posted:

i live in a small german city, but we got our own beer here and its awesome.

webpage is down but heres the fb link http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glaabsbr%C3%A4u/160451533973064

if you ever visit germany and you love beer check all those small breweries along your trip

Can these be shipped or brought to the US? My sister-in-law is stationed in Rammstein and is coming home soon. I want samples.

hsgbomber
Jul 25, 2012
dont think so, its a very small one, but i will ask an friend, hes working there

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Mean to get back to this thread - thanks for all the recommendations on the last page. Definitely going to keep them in mind for a liquor store run probably at the weekend and I plan on visiting Alesmith and Stone at least as time permits. Going to hit Pizza Port too since I've been told I have to do that as well by the same buddy from work. :)

BoredByThis posted:

Eddie, Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous, Victory's Yakima Glory, and awesomely enough a semi local offering, Lakefront's BPA (not Belgian Pale Ale) are all standouts in this category, as they offer more than the black color, but also a roasty flavor and the hop profile to compliment that earthy bitterness, and not overshadow it.

Good to know on the Stone. I keep seeing Sublimely Self-Righteous bombers at the local Albertson's but haven't tried it yet - that sounds really good.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tried to go to a tapping of Firestone XV last night. The bar literally cannot be reached by car right now, the whole area is under construction and looks like a war zone.

...the keg blew in 12 minutes, before I even got in the door. Apparently I am not hardcore enough for this beer stuff :ohdear:

On the bright side, they had both Boulevard Saison Brett and North Coast Pranqster on, neither of which I'd had before. Both are pretty outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Docjowles posted:

Tried to go to a tapping of Firestone XV last night. The bar literally cannot be reached by car right now, the whole area is under construction and looks like a war zone.

...the keg blew in 12 minutes, before I even got in the door. Apparently I am not hardcore enough for this beer stuff :ohdear:

Was it hard for you to get bottles of it? I can still buy XV on the shelf around here and if it were ever on tap I'm pretty sure it would stay on-tap for a while here. Firestone Walker does not get the love it deserves here.

Speaking of that, they are tapping Parabola at a local bar tomorrow, I can't wait to try it on tap.