Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

I just completed the game as an alchemist witcher. Really really powerful. I defeated the (chapter 3) operator while buffed in two hits. So much easier than my first time.

Did you have any trouble with the end of Act 2? Have they done anything about the Standard bearer fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
As long as you have Riposte you can deal with it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Did you have any trouble with the end of Act 2? Have they done anything about the Standard bearer fight?

I didn't do a pure alchemist build. I put 4 points into sword for longer roll and riposte. Put points in most of the basic skills. Then the majority of points into just potion longevity and those huge boosts from potion toxicity. None in bombs, traps, or harvesting.

I was playing on hard like the first time I was playing which was some sort of mess of sword and magic.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I got a major problem. The game crashed on me while I was playing and now the launcher has started consistently crashing within moments of appearing. I tried verifying the integrity of the game files through steam and it found and re-downloaded a file (didn't say which), but it didn't solve the problem. Anyone know what's going on?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Try restarting Steam.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Already restarted both Steam and rebooted the computer. Didn't solve anything.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I'm having the same issue, just finished downloading the game after getting it in the steam sale. Launcher repeatedly crashes, and verifying the cache says there's one file not found which is re-downloaded, but it still doesn't work.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
This problem apparently appeared today for a lot of people

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31955-the-witcher-2-launcher-application-has-stopped-working/

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I just installed the game this afternoon, so that sucks. I'm glad it's a brand new problem, and not just my computer. Sort of.

A friend of mine found out that you can still play if you ignore the crash dialogue box and click "Launch game" on the launcher behind it. It's a bigger problem if you're in my shoes, and you want to do some first-time graphical config stuff.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Try running the launcher.exe and not from steam, I think you can do that.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

You can sort out your configs by running "/the witcher 2/bin/configurator.exe" directly. It still works.

kri kri posted:

Try running the launcher.exe and not from steam, I think you can do that.

doesn't work. It seems to be a problem with the launcher itself trying to connect to something online since there are people saying they got it working when they ran in offline mode.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I just found a solution from this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2835946&page=2

It involves blocking Launcher.exe from performing outbound connections with the windows firewall. Someone in the thread created step by step instructions.

Open Control Panel from the Start menu.
Select "Windows Firewall".
Select "Advanced Options".
On the left click on "Outbound Rules".
On the right side pane select "New Rule" - You can also Right Click and select "New Rule" from the listed options.
The Wizard will now open and we need to select "Program".
Click "Next".
Choose the option "This program path" then click "Browse".
Navigate to your STEAM directory to the following folder... STEAM\steamapps\common\The Witcher 2\
Now double click on the "Launcher.exe"
Finally you can choose to enter a name and description for the newly created rule and then select "Finish"

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I bought this in the Steam sale and i've just finished the interrogation flashback part and i'm in the dungeon. My main problem is i have no idea what i'm doing in combat. I tried the tutorial twice but it got stuck at the part where you assign your talent point and it wasn't really helpful. I'm mostly confused about the mechanics of it all. Like Arkham Asylum the idea is you keep an eye on all the enemies and then attack or dodge anyone who gets the squiggly lines above their heads indicating their going to attack you. I don't really know what i'm doing in this game. I vaguely recall Witcher 1 being based around timing your attacks to execute a combo and using left or right click depending on the enemy type, is it the same in this game? I got through it by mashing attacks on single guards, and running away to exploit the ai if there's a group, and throwing in spells every now and then which don't seem to do much. It just feels very clunky. Also whose bright idea was it to give all the spells meaningless names and not put a description of what they do in the ui?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

CJ posted:

I bought this in the Steam sale and i've just finished the interrogation flashback part and i'm in the dungeon. My main problem is i have no idea what i'm doing in combat. I tried the tutorial twice but it got stuck at the part where you assign your talent point and it wasn't really helpful. I'm mostly confused about the mechanics of it all. Like Arkham Asylum the idea is you keep an eye on all the enemies and then attack or dodge anyone who gets the squiggly lines above their heads indicating their going to attack you. I don't really know what i'm doing in this game. I vaguely recall Witcher 1 being based around timing your attacks to execute a combo and using left or right click depending on the enemy type, is it the same in this game? I got through it by mashing attacks on single guards, and running away to exploit the ai if there's a group, and throwing in spells every now and then which don't seem to do much. It just feels very clunky. Also whose bright idea was it to give all the spells meaningless names and not put a description of what they do in the ui?

No, you have to look at enemy animation to see when they attack or block, not for "squiggly lines". Combos from 1 are gone and you have 3 actions in regards to swordfight - hit it, hit it hard, block.
Block(and riposte) only works against someone with weapon, not against monster biting you, and doesn't negate damage completely so you're better off dodge-rolling away. Do get riposte skill, it's a counter-attack from block extremely useful in certain part of the game.
Hard-hitting is good for stunned opponent since it's slow, though can be useful against someone blocking with shield, since even through block it'll deal a lot of damage.
Most of the time you'll just be left-clicking to attack, but fighting fair is for scrubs, get high on potions, toss bombs and knives and incapacitate enemies with signs. The signs to this:
Igni - deals damage and sometimes sets on fire, your main damage source if you're mostly a magic user
Aard - knocks back and sometimes stuns, interrupts block, good against humans with shield/ certain monsters that guard
Quen - makes a protective barrier around you, used to be overpowered, not so much now but still useful
Yrden - sets a trap on the ground, someone stepping on it will take damage and can get paralyzed, very useful if you're mostly a sword fighter and against some bosses
Axii - sort of mind-control, ignore it, too hard to use for little gain

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CJ posted:

I tried the tutorial twice but it got stuck at the part where you assign your talent point and it wasn't really helpful.

If you can't figure out how to put a point into a talent in the tutorial and expect "little squiggly lines" to appear over your opponent's head so that you can press a button that completely neutralizes them, the Witcher 2 is not the game for you and you should give it up. Not trying to be a dick, but I think you're going to be very frustrated with the experience.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
I'm not sure where to put this, since there's no thread dedicated to it, but CDPR are doing a Q&A on the Cyberpunk game here.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Have they commented on the launcher crashing yet? I read somewhere that they were going to fix the .net install thing but that was months old.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you can't figure out how to put a point into a talent in the tutorial and expect "little squiggly lines" to appear over your opponent's head so that you can press a button that completely neutralizes them, the Witcher 2 is not the game for you and you should give it up. Not trying to be a dick, but I think you're going to be very frustrated with the experience.

I did assign the talent point but, as i said, the tutorial is a piece of poo poo and didn't register that i had done so and wouldn't let me progress. I also never said i wanted "little squiggly lines", i was giving an example of how the mechanics worked in the Batman game. Maybe if you can't parse a pretty simple paragraph you shouldn't make a worthless post?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CJ posted:

I did assign the talent point but, as i said, the tutorial is a piece of poo poo and didn't register that i had done so and wouldn't let me progress.

So I want to make sure I understand you: you're saying that the tutorial, which works for everyone else, is a "piece of poo poo" because it "doesn't register" that you've assigned the talent point?

So one of the following two statements is true:

a) either the tutorial is uniquely defective to your PC/Xbox
b) you're not smart enough to get through it

Which one has the higher odds, I wonder?

Edit: Holy poo poo there's a bug in the tutorial! Well I'm willing to take my lumps like a man, looks like I'm the rear end in a top hat here. Sorry CJ.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 25, 2012

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The reason you got stuck in that part of the tutorial is that it requires you to assign a mutagen to a talent too even though the text doesn't mention it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Also you really don't have to parry/ripsote, I never got the timing down and beat dark mode. Being a Witcher is fighting dirty, your actually supposed to use traps and bombs you get/make from looting every square inch you can reach.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Also you really don't have to parry/ripsote, I never got the timing down and beat dark mode. Being a Witcher is fighting dirty, your actually supposed to use traps and bombs you get/make from looting every square inch you can reach.

To expand on this a little bit, if you go into this trying to fight like you did in Witcher 1 (you mentioned the timing based combat), you'll fail miserably. I had the toughest time with it because I went from the first to the second immediately, and this was before the tutorial existed. It was VERY hard to get used to, and definitely felt a little clunky, but only because I didn't know what I was doing.

By the time you really figure it out (probably not too far into Act 1), it won't feel clunky, and you'll be able to start putting skill points into things that make whatever fighting style you prefer easier and more satisfying. That's the best thing about the combat and skills, is that almost everything is useful, as long as it's something that fits with how you play.

And yes, definitely craft stuff, it's so much cheaper. I played through the first time not crafting a lot, but the second time, on dark mode, I was making bombs like crazy, and was collecting a bunch of stuff for weapons and armor.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The thing was actually bugged when I did the tutorial (like a week ago) and impossible to complete so he may be running into the same problem.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

Quen - makes a protective barrier around you, used to be overpowered, not so much now but still useful

Does anyone else miss old Quen a little? The nerfed version just seems useless to me except on Dark mode and the fact that it will only ever block one attack makes the reflect upgrades kinda lovely. Obviously it was overpowered and it got fixed a bit in the patch but it still made you essentially invincible, I just think maybe it should be tweeked a little like have it block 1 attack then block 2 attacks on the first upgrade and 3 on the last upgrade.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

If you're going for a very heavy alchemy focus, you really, really do need riposte. There is one section that would just be incredibly tedious and needlessly difficult without it.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

The tutorial does have all kinds of issues. Of particular note is the section about status effects where a wizard shows up and I spent ages before checking online and finding out I was supposed to let myself get hit multiple times.
Honestly the only reason I stuck with the game past the first hour is remembering how good Witcher 1 is, and it has picked up somewhat.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Pyromancer posted:

Axii - sort of mind-control, ignore it, too hard to use for little gain

I disagree - Axii is awesome if you time when you use it. It turns an enemy against his own men and can be brilliant if a group is approaching. Especially useful when it's a few grunts led by a more heavily armed / armoured captain, as you can Axii the captain and watch him go to work.

Red Haze is a good bomb to craft as early as you can, as it works on humans / humanoids and monsters alike.

EDIT: Also, Yrden is awesome and works on quite a lot of bosses.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, the tutorial is all kinds of hosed up. I've had the same bug where riposte never worked and even had one where all the enemies spawned in and just stood around doing nothing.

Gazmachine posted:

I disagree - Axii is awesome if you time when you use it. It turns an enemy against his own men and can be brilliant if a group is approaching. Especially useful when it's a few grunts led by a more heavily armed / armoured captain, as you can Axii the captain and watch him go to work.

Red Haze is a good bomb to craft as early as you can, as it works on humans / humanoids and monsters alike.

Yeah, agreed. I kind of avoided it at first but it quickly became a very useful tool at times. If nothing else it can lead to hilarious clusterfucks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gazmachine posted:

Red Haze is why I won't ever use Axii. It might be more reliable, but its single-target and takes time. I could just chuck a few Red Hazes and get the same result with less risk to me and no stamina loss. I lose, what, two commonly found reagents in the process?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'll say that I found Axii extremely useful through much of the game. The trick is to always Quen before you use it, then you can't be interrupted. It was a huge help in fighting groups in the early part of the game.

The problem was that sometime around the end of Act 2/start of Act 3, it seemingly starts to fail increasingly often, and my other abilities would surpass it in usefulness. So I'd stop using it then.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Is there an easy way to disable all my mods that I installed over a year ago when I last played? I can't remember what all I installed and to where.

e: Google turned up no advice, so I just uninstalled and I am reinstalling. Seemed to be the path of least resistance.

PyPy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 27, 2012

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Well i just finished it on the Iorveth path and the quests were really enjoyable, although it ended a bit abruptly with a cutscene of the summit and then a lame boss battle with the dragon.

My main problem with the games was how clunky the combat was. I would lock on to a guy, then roll away so i wasn't surrounded, then attack them as they came to me but tough poo poo you're still locked on to the guy at the back so Geralt doesn't hit the guy in front of him, and now the lockon key has decided to stop working so you can't retarget the guy in front of you either. The signs were a pain in the rear end to use too. You had the one spell on Q that you could use and the others were bound to 345678 which were in no position to be pressed in the middle of combat (if i could even remember which was which). I don't mind pausing mid-combat to use the combat wheel like in Mass Effect, but you couldn't cast stuff directly from that, it just put it on your Q key so there was no fluidity to the combat. That's not even including the huge delay when you cast a spell or draw a bomb or throwing knife which slows it down even more. Oh, and for some reason you can't drink potions unless you're meditating, which kind of defeats the loving point since you can't use them when it springs a boss battle on you unless you feel like reloading to the last time it arbitrarily decided to save for you 5-15 minutes ago. By the end i got talents and upgrades that the enemies were easy enough to hack through, but it always felt like i was fighting the controls and interface rather than the enemy, which was a shame because if they had polished it it could have been really fun.

The reason i bought the game though was for the quests though, since that was the memorable part of the first game. I realised when i was going that amazing quest with Cynthia, where you have to break into a mage's laboratory, that i would probably have been happier if the entire games was based around breaking curses and killing monsters. The assassin of kings and political struggle stuff wasn't bad in any particular way, but i had a blast in all the curse breaking and contract killing quests from the notice boards. If they had just given us 3 hubs with stuff like the Kayran, Dearhenna's lab and Golem contract quests i think it would have been a lot of fun. I liked what we got though, and you have to commend CDProjekt for having the balls to dedicate a third of their resources to stuff you can't see unless you have a second playthrough. It doesn't feel like you're missing out on anything either, i wouldn't even know there was an entire alternate chapter 2 if i hadn't read so here.

One problem i did have though were some of the quests weren't very user friendly. The whole "Who poisoned Saskia?" quest was really poorly handled. It's really weird that they make a big point that you have to talk to people fast before there's a riot, so you do so and then it triggers the ending cutscene with no warning if you talk to the noble. Either have a quest where you have to quickly talk to the people there and make a snap judgment like the dialogue and quest objective says, or make it a proper long term investigation quest like how you are meant to complete it. Blending the two is just annoying and i ended up loading a previous save and looking up how to do it online (the only time i did this) because i felt cheated once i realised what had happened. The only other quest that annoyed me was the Succubus quest, because it's presented as a multiple routes quest, and the elf guy says that if you disturb the tomb because the locals will get angry at you. So i clear out the whole crypt area and finish all the quests there, i find the body but leave it because i don't want to anger the locals, then i run to the other side of the map to check out the burning village and it just tells me to go back to the crypt. I understand why the questgiver said that from a story perspective but it doesn't make me any less pissed off that i had to waste 5 minutes traipsing back to the dumb tomb. There were a bunch of times in the second chapter when i wish i had a teleport to town ability actually, a feeling i never got in Flotsam. Maybe because the forest was smaller or less linear?

I'm really looking forward to Witcher 3 whenever it comes out. If they take the quest style and dialogue from this game and give it a better combat system and more monsters to kill rather dumb politics it will be amazing. I just watched a couple of videos from Witcher 1 and it's crazy how much the graphics, combat and overall presentation has improved between the two games. I can't fathom how good Witcher 3 will be if it makes a similar improvement on Witcher 2.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The politics won't go anywhere, they're a huge part of the books and the storyline overall.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The Vergen area could have done with a functional fast travel system. I like the aesthetics but it is annoying and slow to get around in.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

FrickenMoron posted:

The politics won't go anywhere, they're a huge part of the books and the storyline overall.

Yeah, they can't just drop it completely but i preferred the way Witcher 1 handled it. You still had the main storyline and the stuff with the king and the humans/Scoia'tael but you still had a bunch of cool boss fights and curses and witchering. They could have had another big monster like the Kayarn for you to research and kill in chapter 2 instead of Drowners 2.0:Harpies and Rotfiends, and then a monster under Loc Muinne or something. I guess the Dearhenna bit was sort of that but that area could have used more fleshing out since it tricks you into thinking it's going to be another fullblown hub but then Iorveth shows up and oh it's over. I just miss the whole ritual of researching the monster, meditating outside of its lair till midnight, doping out on potions, then having a huge gimmick fight ending with its head on a hook and strutting back in to town.

EDIT: Another thing i just remembered that annoyed me was that they had to make sure every female character had visible cleavage, presumably to confirm that they were in fact women. I mean it makes sense for the prostitutes but why do Joan of Arc and the tomboy soldier have their blouses undone? I laughed out loud when Cynthia showed up in her undercover tombraiding costume, covered in head to toe but only doing up the top and bottom button of her hoodie so you could still see her skin. And the lesbian spanking non-sequitur. I thought this game was meant to be mature.

CJ fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 29, 2012

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Just got finished with this game and havign looked up all the endings I feel like I took about the grimmest path possible: Go with Roche, kill Henselt, save Triss, kill dragon.
I'm tempted to play through again for the other options but I'll probably leave it a while, also if I do I'm playing on easy so I can see the story without hastle, because my first game was on hard and my total deaths must have been in the region of several hundred.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mainwaring posted:

Just got finished with this game and havign looked up all the endings I feel like I took about the grimmest path possible: Go with Roche, kill Henselt, save Triss, kill dragon.
You did avoid one bit of grim: (spoilers for stuff other than your choices, obviously)By saving Triss, you stopped most of mages at Loc Muinne from getting massacred. I'd argue that "Go with Roche, save Anais, give her to Radovid, kill dragon" is worse.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Lycus posted:

You did avoid one bit of grim: (spoilers for stuff other than your choices, obviously)By saving Triss, you stopped most of mages at Loc Muinne from getting massacred. I'd argue that "Go with Roche, save Anais, give her to Radovid, kill dragon" is worse.

Fair point, though at least Saving Anais has a better result for Temaria as a whole.
Thinking about it not killing Hemselt would probably have made things feel more grim, I don't think I could have stood his smug rear end hanging around in act 3 after he'd won.

By the way what's the rule on spoilers in this thread now? The game has been out for ages but I'm cautious that there might be others like me who recently got it through steam sales.

Mainwaring fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 3, 2012

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Mainwaring posted:

By the way what's the rule on spoilers in this thread now? The game has been out for ages but I'm cautious that there might be others like me who recently got it through steam sales.

Considering a lot of newer players turn to this thread for combat tips it's nice to be generous and use spoiler tags for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Also, the game is only a few months old for Xbox players. My personal rule has been to definitely spoiler anything beyond Crossroads.

• Locked thread