Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

And The Hill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I never seen The Hill. I did go see The Shooting last night, drat that's an odd movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Verdict and The Pawnbroker are pretty good.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for movies that are basically about how a society copes with some sort of disaster. Not necessarily about specific people or even how to solve the disaster, but movies where you see, as a whole, how humanity deals with a crisis.

The best movies I've seen that deal with this are Contagion and The Day After (a 1983 movie about a nuclear holocaust). The book World War Z is a good example, and I really hope the movie keeps that aspect. Deep Impact sorta has it, but it's a little too action-y.

I hope there are more movies out there like this, since I find it so incredibly interesting.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Asiina posted:

I'm looking for movies that are basically about how a society copes with some sort of disaster. Not necessarily about specific people or even how to solve the disaster, but movies where you see, as a whole, how humanity deals with a crisis.

The best movies I've seen that deal with this are Contagion and The Day After (a 1983 movie about a nuclear holocaust). The book World War Z is a good example, and I really hope the movie keeps that aspect. Deep Impact sorta has it, but it's a little too action-y.

I hope there are more movies out there like this, since I find it so incredibly interesting.

Threads is a must.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Since I'm all pumped up on reading about V/H/S and am severly unfamiliar with the found footage genre, can you please recommend me a few of your favorites? Is The Poughkeepsie Tapes worth watching? What else?

And, to make a ridiculous transition, I am also wondering if there are any suggestions for interestingly shot/structured romance films. (chick flicks, if I have to use that stupid loving term). Ones that don't fit the mold in terms of cinematography and/or narrative.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Since I'm all pumped up on reading about V/H/S and am severly unfamiliar with the found footage genre, can you please recommend me a few of your favorites? Is The Poughkeepsie Tapes worth watching? What else?

Ghostwatch! REC! Cannibal Holocaust!

And the Blair Witch-Cloverfield-Paranormal Activity triumvirate really is great.

quote:

And, to make a ridiculous transition, I am also wondering if there are any suggestions for interestingly shot/structured romance films. (chick flicks, if I have to use that stupid loving term). Ones that don't fit the mold in terms of cinematography and/or narrative.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! The Artist! Medicine for Melancholy! Once! Clueless!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

penismightier posted:

Ghostwatch! REC! Cannibal Holocaust!

And the Blair Witch-Cloverfield-Paranormal Activity triumvirate really is great.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! The Artist! Medicine for Melancholy! Once! Clueless!

If you can stomach Cannibal Holocaust, more power to you, because I really can't handle violence towards animals. I'm definitely echoing BW/Cloverfield/PA films, too.

I'll throw in Punch-Drunk Love as a recommendation for a good non-traditional romance film, and I also suggest Clueless, if only for a stellar cast and Cher's great voiceover.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Parachute posted:

If you can stomach Cannibal Holocaust, more power to you, because I really can't handle violence towards animals.

Yeah, it's... divisive. But it's definitely an important touchstone worth seeking out if you want to catch-up with the genre.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm looking for some films similiar to 21 Jump Street, Horrible Bosses and Pineapple Express - recent action comedies that would go well with a fairly, eh, "mainstream" audience, which is to say that something like Observe and Report is too dark and twisted for this occasion.

csidle fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 22, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Can you guys recommend some movies that "feel" Lynchian, but aren't directed by the man himself?

I've seen all of his movies, and am itching for something similar.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

escape artist posted:

Can you guys recommend some movies that "feel" Lynchian, but aren't directed by the man himself?

He has a diverse range of movies - Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Elephant Man...but having said that, check out The Reflecting Skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlnDRqPUXE

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Binary Logic posted:

He has a diverse range of movies - Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Elephant Man...but having said that, check out The Reflecting Skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlnDRqPUXE

He does have a wide range of movies, but they all have that weird Lynch feel to them. Surrealistic, the juxtaposition of the macabre and mundane, etc.

That movie looks intriguing.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
How about great movies that are also very sexy?

Something in the vein of Belle de Jour.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

JayMax posted:

How about great movies that are also very sexy?

Something in the vein of Belle de Jour.

Y Tu Mamá También is the first thing that springs to mind.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

escape artist posted:

The Hole (Ming-liang Tsai)
The Loveless
Betrayed aka When Strangers Marry
Damnation

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I'm coming down with the flu and I'm in the mood for something light-hearted and maybe a bit romantic (but it's not a requirement). I liked Garden State and The Incredibles and I don't like Zooey Deschanel.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

poty posted:

I'm coming down with the flu and I'm in the mood for something light-hearted and maybe a bit romantic (but it's not a requirement). I liked Garden State and The Incredibles and I don't like Zooey Deschanel.

Keeping the Faith
Wristcutters: A Love Story
I Love You, Man
Wet Hot American Summer
Almost any Judd Apatow production (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Step Brothers are my favorites)

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

poty posted:

Jeff Who Lives At Home just came out on DVD. I got a little bit of a "Garden State" feel from it.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Recommend me The Best Film Noirs. Or atleast the most interesting.

I've seen Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep, Pickup on South Street, Kiss Me Deadly, Elevator to the Gallows, Nightmare Alley, Laura, Underworld USA, Key Largo and The Stranger. So recommend me some good noir films.

Film noir is something I thought I had covered, but I can tell there are still some gaps that I wanna take care of.

Ah nevermind, I found that FFD post from a year ago where he recommends a lot of film noir, I should've looked up that stuff first. I guess recommend some films if you feel like it?

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 25, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I've seen Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep, Pickup on South Street, Kiss Me Deadly, Elevator to the Gallows, Nightmare Alley, Underworld USA, Key Largo and The Stranger. So recommend me some good noir films.

Film noir is something I thought I had covered, but I can tell there are still some gaps that I wanna take care of.

Touch of Evil and Blast of Silence are good ones, though depending on your definition they aren't "true" noirs.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I've seen Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep, Pickup on South Street, Kiss Me Deadly, Elevator to the Gallows, Nightmare Alley, Laura, Underworld USA, Key Largo and The Stranger. So recommend me some good noir films.

Ah nevermind, I found that FFD post from a year ago where he recommends a lot of film noir, I should've looked up that stuff first. I guess recommend some films if you feel like it?

LA Confidential is a must-see. It's neo-noir.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm looking for some good independent American films. Films in the vein of Killer of Sheep or other movies that have similar aesthetics. I know that's a pretty broad category, but any recommendations are appreciated.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm looking for some good independent American films. Films in the vein of Killer of Sheep or other movies that have similar aesthetics. I know that's a pretty broad category, but any recommendations are appreciated.

Bless Their Little Hearts
The Exiles
Wanda
The Whole Shootin' Match
Last Chants For A Slow Dance
Shadows (or all Cassavettes)
Cockfighter
She's Gotta Have It
Nothin' But A Man

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Could anyone recommend some lesser known ghost movies, preferably from the last 20 years or so (I believe I've seen most of the well-known classics). Things along the lines of The Others, The Woman in Black, etc.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Acrolos posted:

Could anyone recommend some lesser known ghost movies, preferably from the last 20 years or so (I believe I've seen most of the well-known classics). Things along the lines of The Others, The Woman in Black, etc.

The Innkeepers was pretty spooky. :ghost:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I'm in the kind of mood (haven't slept in a while) where I get crazy goosebumps even remembering sweeping, epic, melodramatic and just plain beautiful films, but not having slept in a while I can't put a finger on what I'd like to watch.

Throw me something along the lines of Princess Mononoke, Lord of the Rings, a movie equivalent of Shadow of the Colossus, or something that gives you goosebumps or teary eyes, or wrenches your gut (in a good way) in general. Anything goes!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Schurik posted:

Throw me something along the lines of Princess Mononoke, Lord of the Rings, a movie equivalent of Shadow of the Colossus, or something that gives you goosebumps or teary eyes, or wrenches your gut (in a good way) in general. Anything goes!

Give Tideland a shot, maybe.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I was thinking more traditional narrative structure - just imagine the LoTR main theme and extrapolate from that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Schurik posted:

I'm in the kind of mood (haven't slept in a while) where I get crazy goosebumps even remembering sweeping, epic, melodramatic and just plain beautiful films, but not having slept in a while I can't put a finger on what I'd like to watch.

The Bridge to Terabithia.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any reccomendations on science fiction epics? I love movies like Blade Runner, Moon, the Alien movies, etc. Movies with great characters, plot and pacing that are science fiction. Thanks!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xandoom posted:

Any reccomendations on science fiction epics? I love movies like Blade Runner, Moon, the Alien movies, etc. Movies with great characters, plot and pacing that are science fiction. Thanks!

2001: A Space Odyssey pretty much defines "science fiction epic," though I'm worried it will fail you in the characters, plot and pacing departments.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
What I found to be a feel good movie and had me researching more on the subject is The Way starring Martin Sheen. Anyone else catch it? Wanna go for a walk now?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Any Westerns in the last decade that may have snuck by? The last two weeks I've seen The Proposition, 3:10 to Yuma, and The Assassination of Jesse James.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxford Comma posted:

Any Westerns in the last decade that may have snuck by? The last two weeks I've seen The Proposition, 3:10 to Yuma, and The Assassination of Jesse James.

Try Meek's Cutoff, if you liked the pace of Jesse James.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

Not a movie, but have you seen Deadwood, the HBO series? It's incredible -- not just an awesome serialized Western, but one of the best-written and best-acted TV shows of all time.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Try Meek's Cutoff, if you liked the pace of Jesse James.

I will check that out, thanks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Not a movie, but have you seen Deadwood, the HBO series? It's incredible -- not just an awesome serialized Western, but one of the best-written and best-acted TV shows of all time.

Cocksucker!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

True Grit is very good.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xandoom posted:

None of those are really epic in scope. However since you liked Moon you should check out Silent Running, directed by Douglas Trumbull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I finally watched Predator last night. Goddamn was that a bunch of sweaty, muscly, manly fun. Tonight I'm going to watch Commando and Bloodsport, and tomorrow probably Running Man and Die Hard.

I've pretty much avoided most 80s/early 90s action movies outside of the biggies (Terminator/2, First Blood, Total Recall, True Lies, Lethal Weapon). What are the must-sees? I specifically liked the camaraderie/competition aspect (i.e. the arm wrestling in the beginning).

• Locked thread