Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

FlashBangBob posted:

Looks like its at 5 PM ET (which is in 4 and a half hours). They announce their earnings in a press release right after the closing bell, then an hour later they talk about it.

Then they release ML.

I am ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

I'm tempted to do a wipe\reload on ML release. Just don't know if it's worth it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mountain Lion could almost be a 10.7.x release; it changes so little. Don't bother with a clean install.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think it's important to temper your excitement a bit relating to ML. Unless you have a fairly new mac (my 2010 iMac is pretty much ineligible for all the cool poo poo) this is a very "unobvious" update. Things run a little smoother, a little snappier, but nothing of note really changes for you. Dictation is cool. Notification center is... rather inconsequential. Etc...

[edit]

Haha, beaten by seconds again.

Yes. What SWSP said. It's not a bad OS. It polishes up Lion in some ways. Very, VERY minor ways unless you have a REALLY new Mac.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

I think it's important to temper your excitement a bit relating to ML.
Seriously. This is the least significant "major release" of OS X we've ever seen. That's mostly a testament to how solid and refined OS X has already become, and I'm glad Apple recognizes that by only charging :20bux: for it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm counting the seconds until someone releases a standalone "hack/app" that lets my Ancient Mid-2010 iMac do AirPlay to my ATV2.

Even if it doesn't work perfectly I'd love to try it out. :)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
There's quite a few bugs in ML, and performance on my mid-2011 iMac (i7, 3.2gHz, 16GB RAM) seems to have worsened, which is disappointing. Has anyone noticed similarly? Here's hoping 10.8.1 comes soon.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Seriously. This is the least significant "major release" of OS X we've ever seen. That's mostly a testament to how solid and refined OS X has already become, and I'm glad Apple recognizes that by only charging :20bux: for it.

I'd say it's also partially due to the new yearly release schedule. You just can't come out with that big of an update every year. I'm guessing that a few years from now if you compare 10.7 to 10.9 or 10.10 you will see about the same amount of change that you're used to in a "major release", but it just isn't coming all at once anymore.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fren posted:

There's quite a few bugs in ML, and performance on my mid-2011 iMac (i7, 3.2gHz, 16GB RAM) seems to have worsened, which is disappointing. Has anyone noticed similarly? Here's hoping 10.8.1 comes soon.
Nope. I've experienced the opposite: not come across any bugs yet, and performance is great on the 3 machines I've put it on (2010 MBP, 2010 iMac, and 2011 Air).

I hope you're filing bug reports for all these issues you're finding.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I hope you're filing bug reports for all these issues you're finding.

Of course I am. Why would I be running pre-release software otherwise?

Specifically, notification windows have appeared in the center of my screen under the menu bar instead of the far right; Finder has crashed completely upon attaching an external USB drive; Reminders.app gets confused when multiple lists are selected; windows get stuck dragging them to a second monitor; running screensavers causes iTunes playback to hiccup. Maybe I should do a flatten and re-install, but I haven't done anything ridiculous to my system, and I feel like these all started popping up when I installed the GM.

Also, there's no way to just 'close' conversations in Messages (not 'deleting' them) without right clicking on the person's tab and hitting 'Close chat', which is a terrible interface decision. Why does Command-W 'delete' the conversation and require a confirmation, instead of just closing the conversation?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fren posted:

Specifically, notification windows have appeared in the center of my screen under the menu bar instead of the far right; Finder has crashed completely upon attaching an external USB drive; Reminders.app gets confused when multiple lists are selected; windows get stuck dragging them to a second monitor; running screensavers causes iTunes playback to hiccup. Maybe I should do a flatten and re-install, but I haven't done anything ridiculous to my system, and I feel like these all started popping up when I installed the GM.
Yeah, I've seen none of these. All are clean installs. poo poo even the Developer Preview 3 seemed solid enough to me for release.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yeah, I've seen none of these. All are clean installs. poo poo even the Developer Preview 3 seemed solid enough to me for release.

Likewise the only issue I've noted have been apps that just haven't been made compatible yet. The actual OS seems rock-loving-steady.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Mountain Lion could almost be a 10.7.x release; it changes so little. Don't bother with a clean install.

Safari going to omni-box is itself worth the price of admission.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone know if it fixes the sometimes-bug of trying to empty my recycle bin, and it saying the file is in use? I deleted a .mkv file, and when I tried to empty the recycle bin, it said it was in use. I went in the terminal and found that it was was in use by Finder, even though it wasn't.

I guess this was half a "will this be fixed" post and half a "Does anyone know why finder was trying to use the program?" post.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ptier posted:

Safari going to omni-box is itself worth the price of admission.
Considering there were betas of Safari 5.2/6 for Lion, it's likely that there will be a Software Update release of it for 10.7, sans iCloud tabs and tab-expose.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
My first Mac was the 2011 13" MBA which came preloaded with Lion, so this'll be my first OS upgrade. I was going to backup to Time Capsule anyway but as far as preserving data/settings does the update process take care of that for me at this point or do I have to use Migration Assistant before or after I'm done?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You don't have to worry about any data migration.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Thought so but wanted to be sure before I got too excited. Looking forward to having Power Nap!

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Fren posted:

Also, there's no way to just 'close' conversations in Messages (not 'deleting' them) without right clicking on the person's tab and hitting 'Close chat', which is a terrible interface decision. Why does Command-W 'delete' the conversation and require a confirmation, instead of just closing the conversation?

Overall it's more similar to Messages on iOS—it's a persistent list of conversations you've had. You can clear it if you like but you shouldn't have to.

I get a little 'x' when I hover over conversations in the left source list. I close using that.

If you want history to always be saved when you close, there's a preference "Save history when conversations are closed" that prevents the dialog from appearing every time you close a conversation.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

x-virge posted:

Overall it's more similar to Messages on iOS—it's a persistent list of conversations you've had. You can clear it if you like but you shouldn't have to.

I get a little 'x' when I hover over conversations in the left source list. I close using that.

If you want history to always be saved when you close, there's a preference "Save history when conversations are closed" that prevents the dialog from appearing every time you close a conversation.

Ahh, brilliant. Thanks for the heads up on that issue, at least.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Something I've been wondering about, does the new Core Animation scrolling make a tangible difference in Safari? Or is it almost the same as it used to be?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Hey, on that note, anyone else using Chrome beta on a retina display experiencing extremely smooth scrolling inside Github repository views? That's about the only smooth and high FPS page I've seen so far from a browser rendering to Retina specifications. Their other pages still scroll like molasses but their repository pages scroll smooth like butter unlike pretty much every other page on the internet. This doesn't even happen in Safari or Canary which is just bizarre.

Example: https://github.com/ruby/ruby

this is lion, by the way.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 24, 2012

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy
Mountain Lion officially coming tomorrow. Source

quote:

“We’re thrilled with record sales of 17 million iPads in the June quarter,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We’ve also just updated the entire MacBook line, will release Mountain Lion tomorrow and will be launching iOS 6 this Fall. We are also really looking forward to the amazing new products we’ve got in the pipeline.”

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Good call, some of you! :)

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
I like Mountain Lion, but I hope there's a way to have Chrome opt-out of Notification Center. I'm used to having a GMail tab open while I work on other things. If someone sent me a chat message, I'd get a popup like this:

It would stay on top until I'd click it or switch to that tab. In Mountain Lion it pops up a notification for a second or two which then disappears to the Notification Center. If I'm not looking at the screen when it happens, I'll have no idea I got a message.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

quadratic posted:

I like Mountain Lion, but I hope there's a way to have Chrome opt-out of Notification Center.
Is it not listed in the preferences panel?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

quadratic posted:

I like Mountain Lion, but I hope there's a way to have Chrome opt-out of Notification Center.
Wait, is Chrome in the App Store? (I don't see it?) I thought Notification Center was one of the things only App Store apps could use?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Small White Dragon posted:

Wait, is Chrome in the App Store? (I don't see it?) I thought Notification Center was one of the things only App Store apps could use?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are Chrome's own notifications: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1075549

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The dog is really hoping you say no, so he can have it for himself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

IUG posted:

The dog is really hoping you say no, so he can have it for himself.

That dog has already eaten the last cookie and is asking you as a courtesy.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Compared to Lion, how much better does Mountain Lion run? I opted for the base 2011 MBA model so it only has 2GB of RAM. Lion has gotten kind of sluggish on my machine and am planning on doing a clean install anyways since I'm installing a new 180 GB SSD anyways.

birds fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 25, 2012

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Small White Dragon posted:

Any app can use Notification Center. It's not an App Store only thing.

Macintosh posted:

Compared to Lion, how much better does Mountain Lion run? I opted for the base 2011 MBA model so it only has 2GB of RAM. Lion has gotten kind of sluggish on my machine and am planning on doing a clean install anyways since I'm installing a new 180 GB SSD anyways.
You can generally expect in mose cases to have about equal to slightly-improved performance with OS upgrades. Hope you didn't buy the SSD already, because the Air doesn't actually have one (it's flash memory on a daughterboard).

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 25, 2012

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Is it not listed in the preferences panel?

Well, I feel dumb. :downs:

I know I'd looked there at some point, but I guess I didn't scroll down far enough.

Dick Trauma posted:

That dog has already eaten the last cookie and is asking you as a courtesy.

That dog is an rear end in a top hat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wolffenstein posted:

Hope you didn't buy the SSD already, because the Air doesn't actually have one (it's flash memory on a daughterboard).

OWC is the only place to get an upgraded SSD for the Air (or a pull from another Air on the used market)

https://www.macsales.com

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

A question that may not be answerable for another 18 hours: If I download ML to upgrade my mid-2009 MBP from Lion, would something in that download be capable of upgrading my wife's early-2009 Leopard MBP?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So, when does the upgrade go live? Midnight?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So, when does the upgrade go live? Midnight?
We don't know. Lion went up around 5AM PDT last year.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Since I purchased a Macbook after June 11th, I qualify for the free upgrade. Does anyone know if I'll be getting a USB stick install? Or will it just be a regular app store download?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lol internet. posted:

Since I purchased a Macbook after June 11th, I qualify for the free upgrade. Does anyone know if I'll be getting a USB stick install? Or will it just be a regular app store download?
It simply gets added to your App Store under Purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

lol internet. posted:

Just the AppStore download, but remember that allows you to install it on up to 5(I think) computers if you use the same Apple ID.

Lion's thumb drive was 70 bucks. Only time will tell if they keep that price point or lower it 10-20$.

happily beaten(to death!)