Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Hoppy posted:

That's a steal, and if you don't like it you can turn around and ebay/craigslist/swappa it for a nice profit. That said, its a slick device. I love mine, and I was wanting the GNex more than anything until I got this.

Edit: Retail on that thing is in the $600-700 range.

Cool, found it on craigslist so let's see if he goes for it. Think he wants cash plus a phone, but I only have a Hero to give up, so haha...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Seriously, if you end up lot liking it I'll pay you that price for it.

Or if you want to trade for a galaxy nexus, I would do that too.

That phone kicks rear end. Played with it in the store. I told the guy I had $300 and a Hero to offer, lol. If I get it, great. If not, I have my upgrade and it'll run the same regardless.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Stunt Rock posted:

I swear to god Sprint's 3G service has been so loving annoying it is unbelievable. One year left on the contract, no LTE in sight for my area, a janky-rear end Android phone with no support going forward...

...makes me sad I got rid of T-Mobile sometimes. At least Sprint still has really good plans, I guess. But once my contract runs out (or I get a chance at getting out without paying an ETF) I'm seriously going to have to think about some other carriers.

You have an Android. Just force your phone onto a Verizon PRL and enjoy decent speeds for once. If Sprint cuts you off for roaming too much, all the better for you.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I got my upgrade set for September 1st. I'm done with the EVO 4G and want to know if I'd be better off waiting (I haven't heard of anything amazing coming out in the next few months really) or getting a Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy 3?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

uapyro posted:

I'm guessing ROMs like MeanROM released later on were safe from the VM Firmware thing?

If you didn't install the updated firmware and just installed a rom like MeanROM, you're safe.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="405885676"]
You have an Android. Just force your phone onto a Verizon PRL and enjoy decent speeds for once. If Sprint cuts you off for roaming too much, all the better for you.

Oh yeah, they'll nix the contract without ETF if that's the case, right?

Or am I thinking of something else?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

The Entire Universe posted:

Oh yeah, they'll nix the contract without ETF if that's the case, right?

Or am I thinking of something else?

That's an interesting question. What DOES Sprint do if they can you for too much roaming but you're still under contract? Does that force you to pay out your ETF or does it just terminate everything? Because that'd be an interesting way to get out of contract...

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
So has anyone here had any experience with the LTE network yet? It seems to be pretty hit or miss in areas where it has launched.

I'm already starting to see slow-down on their 3G NV towers in the Chicago area, I'm guessing a ton of people that just stopped using data altogether are now trying to use data again. I know some can be chalked up to the fact that they're still rolling out upgrades, but it's frustrating to start seeing <1mbps speeds when a month ago I was seeing 1.5-2mbps speedtests.

Because of all the Legacy towers interspersed throughout the market, you still can't do anything on the move like stream pandora or watch youtube because legacy towers are so slow getting handed off to them kills your data.

Driving around doing speedtests and running netmonitor all the time makes me feel like a huge nerd.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 24, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

thisdude23 posted:

Cool, found it on craigslist so let's see if he goes for it. Think he wants cash plus a phone, but I only have a Hero to give up, so haha...

Either the seller is the dumbest person in your town, the phone has been reported lost/stolen or he intends to murder you. Keep your expectations low.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

brc64 posted:

That's an interesting question. What DOES Sprint do if they can you for too much roaming but you're still under contract? Does that force you to pay out your ETF or does it just terminate everything? Because that'd be an interesting way to get out of contract...

On this note, do they give you a chance to port your number out before terminating your line?

also, if you have more than one line on your account do they terminate the account or just that one line?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

When I got the famous "too much data roaming" letter I did some research on it, because when I called Sprint no one had any idea what I was talking about. Heck I couldn't get anyone to acknowledge the letter.

That said according what I found using Google, they just cut you off (without warning and no ETF) if you keep data roaming after the letter. That said it takes several months of data roaming to get the letter (they are looking for a pattern). Then after the letter you still have to data roam some more. So while interesting it is not a fast or easy way to get out of your contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

When I got the famous "too much data roaming" letter I did some research on it, because when I called Sprint no one had any idea what I was talking about. Heck I couldn't get anyone to acknowledge the letter.

That said according what I found using Google, they just cut you off (without warning and no ETF) if you keep data roaming after the letter. That said it takes several months of data roaming to get the letter (they are looking for a pattern). Then after the letter you still have to data roam some more. So while interesting it is not a fast or easy way to get out of your contract.

Yeah, to elaborate on this, the cutoff is both a lot of roaming and having more than 50% of your usage being roaming. In theory it's meant for people who have sprint and then move to like, Montana, where there is no sprint coverage. I had a customer actually do that, they cut him off in about 3 months.

Also in theory, the process does get you a letter, you should get a phone call just a bit before you get cut off, and it does void your ETF.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thanks. I'm not concerned about being fast or easy, but by the time T-Mobile would have any presence up here I'd probably be out of contract anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just posted in for sale, I have the following available in mint condition:

Nexus S: $150

HTC Arrive: $100

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Either the seller is the dumbest person in your town, the phone has been reported lost/stolen or he intends to murder you. Keep your expectations low.

I'm going with an idiot. Either way, I had to blow it off because my work check came out normal but short for my summer hours (sorry loving school district) and they said I'll get my lost money ($4000) in August, which means I'll get my rear end taxed like crazy. </rant>

Oh well, still have my upgrade so I can always use that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I am loving disgusted.

I signed a contract last October. I'm a whole eight months in. I've paid my bills ontime and I've never gone over 2GB/mo .on my mobile wifi hotspot. It was 5GB/mo. for $29.99. I was happy to have it in case something happened to my home internet, I'd have solid backup.

Whelp.

I saw on the Sprint site that my service had been changed on 6/26/2012. I was supposed to have received an e-mail on it. I never did.

I called in to ask what it was about. LONG story (four long phone calls later) short: Sprint is no longer honoring the contract and have dropped me to a $19.99/mo. mobile hotspot with a 2GB/mo. cap. I could go up to 6GB for $49.99.

gently caress you, Sprint.

Sprint offers no incentives or concessions to users like myself (many of whom have apparently called in to raise hell) and the manager I spoke to, Maurice, told me in the nicest way possible that I could go gently caress myself. "All carriers reserve the right to make these kinds of changes whenever we want to. Your contract only requires us to offer you service. We made the decision to drop all users to this new plan. Sorry that you were not notified. No, we are not doing anything for these customers. I understand you must feel cheated having your contract changed only eight months in. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

Yes. My loving blood pressure.

I checked my usage, I never have gone over 2GB and I know I was never one of their high-usage customers. It's the principle, though. I must sound like a naive babe-in-the-woods here, but I can't help it. I hate feeling so powerless.

I still have 16 loving months to go on this contract and I really just want tell Sprint to crumple my contract up until it's all sharp corners and shove it up their rear end.

Sorry, I just wanted to rant. I assume there truly is nothing I can do.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
If they changed your contract, you can cancel it ETF free. You're not powerless.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

When you call in, don't take no for an answer and remember that the changes are "materially adverse changes". See here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

When you call in, don't take no for an answer and remember that the changes are "materially adverse changes". See here.

Yep, you most certainly can tell them where to stick their contract. Because they changed you like that you are free to cancel etf-free and go elsewhere.

satin666
Jun 7, 2006

I have the SERO $30 plan and a Samsung Rant which is a real bad old buggy phone. I'm keeping the $30 plan until I am a dead person and the best phone that will work with it seems to be “HTC Touch Pro 2”

Could anybody tell me how I go about upgrading to this phone and putting “Android” on there without any risk of losing my plan? :tipshat:

So far I know this:
— Buy “HTC Touch Pro 2” on eBay for $60-70
— ? :cripes:

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

satin666 posted:

I have the SERO $30 plan and a Samsung Rant which is a real bad old buggy phone. I'm keeping the $30 plan until I am a dead person and the best phone that will work with it seems to be “HTC Touch Pro 2”

Could anybody tell me how I go about upgrading to this phone and putting “Android” on there without any risk of losing my plan? :tipshat:

So far I know this:

You should consult higher powers although I doubt their answers will be extremely pretty.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=589

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Just posted in for sale, I have the following available in mint condition:

Nexus S: $150

You have a PM on this.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

satin666 posted:

So far I know this:

As long as you're staying in the past, you should do more useful things like warning the Japanese about their nuclear power plants and calling in bomb threats in Norway and Aurora to save as many lives as possible.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="405914105"]
As long as you're staying in the past, you should do more useful things like warning the Japanese about their nuclear power plants and calling in bomb threats in Norway and Aurora to save as many lives as possible.

At least he'll be able to call in all of those things for only $30 a month :colbert:

It's just not worth saving a little money to be stuck with such a miserable phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

satin666 posted:

So far I know this:

Not joking, the LG Lotus Elite is a better phone than that. If you are going to be a cheap scrub, at least do it in style. Buy a Lotus Elite off someone off ebay and be done with it.

Or pay $40 a month and buy an HTC Arrive *cough cough* off duckman2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am loving disgusted.

I signed a contract last October. I'm a whole eight months in. I've paid my bills ontime and I've never gone over 2GB/mo .on my mobile wifi hotspot. It was 5GB/mo. for $29.99. I was happy to have it in case something happened to my home internet, I'd have solid backup.

Whelp.

I saw on the Sprint site that my service had been changed on 6/26/2012. I was supposed to have received an e-mail on it. I never did.

I called in to ask what it was about. LONG story (four long phone calls later) short: Sprint is no longer honoring the contract and have dropped me to a $19.99/mo. mobile hotspot with a 2GB/mo. cap. I could go up to 6GB for $49.99.

gently caress you, Sprint.

Sprint offers no incentives or concessions to users like myself (many of whom have apparently called in to raise hell) and the manager I spoke to, Maurice, told me in the nicest way possible that I could go gently caress myself. "All carriers reserve the right to make these kinds of changes whenever we want to. Your contract only requires us to offer you service. We made the decision to drop all users to this new plan. Sorry that you were not notified. No, we are not doing anything for these customers. I understand you must feel cheated having your contract changed only eight months in. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

Yes. My loving blood pressure.

I checked my usage, I never have gone over 2GB and I know I was never one of their high-usage customers. It's the principle, though. I must sound like a naive babe-in-the-woods here, but I can't help it. I hate feeling so powerless.

I still have 16 loving months to go on this contract and I really just want tell Sprint to crumple my contract up until it's all sharp corners and shove it up their rear end.

Sorry, I just wanted to rant. I assume there truly is nothing I can do.

Either root your phone and stop paying Sprint period, or switch out of principle.

The Electronaut posted:

You have a PM on this.

You should buy the phone!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Either root your phone and stop paying Sprint period, or switch out of principle.
Hi dude. Remember me?
Who the hell would I switch to? Or should I just root it. God I want to give them the middle finger so hard.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hi dude. Remember me?
Who the hell would I switch to? Or should I just root it. God I want to give them the middle finger so hard.

I actually don't, unfortunately, so please remind me :)

And yeah, I would just root and get free tethering, that's what I do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huzzah, finally managed to un-VM my Evo3D and rerooted it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Just upgraded to the Galaxy from an Evo 3D and I am absolutely in love with the camera on this thing. I installed Dolphin browser and for some reason, whenever I try to enter a url, the space key turns blue and acts as the enter key. Same thing happens with the period key. If I try to type "forums.somethingawful.com", the browser just automatically takes me to a search page for the keyword forums. How can I fix this? I tired turning predictions off but nothing has changed.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

satin666 posted:

So far I know this:
I do this. I hope you're patient. Installing an app literally freezes the phone for 2-3min because it's so slow.

Also it kernel panics and reboots into WinMo randomly when it encounters low/no signal - which is funny when you realize that, hey, it's Sprint! (XDAndroid will usually kernel panic before thinking about roaming)

But yeah, if you really wanna do this, just follow this guide. Make sure you're using a decent SD card - SanDisk or Kingston class4.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

satin666 posted:

So far I know this:

Just move up to $40 SERO and open yourself to a much greater range of phone choices.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So if I have my upgrade September 1st what would my contract buyout be? $35?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

So if I have my upgrade September 1st what would my contract buyout be? $35?

Lowest is $50.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Lowest is $50.

Right on, I might just do that and buy a Gnex.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Does forcing a Verizon prl allow for 3g data, unlike roam control? If so, how do I do it on my e3d?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Does forcing a Verizon prl allow for 3g data, unlike roam control? If so, how do I do it on my e3d?

Yes, it allows Verizon 3G. I used this tutorial. It doesn't require rooting and only takes about 15 minutes.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1145111

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="405931471"]
Yes, it allows Verizon 3G. I used this tutorial. It doesn't require rooting and only takes about 15 minutes.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1145111

Thanks. I used a slightly different tutorial from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1529274 but it seems to have worked. My speeds have skyrocketed, this is fantastic. I'm at a lakehouse right now where Verizon's the only carrier within 100 miles, so this is a big help.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Duckman2008 posted:

Lowest is $50.

Since my update is August 1st, is there any way they'd let me update a week early without the fee due to my travel plans?

Or should I just wait the 2 weeks or so?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Krime posted:

Since my update is August 1st, is there any way they'd let me update a week early without the fee due to my travel plans?
IIRC, upgrade eligibility is already moved up to the first of the month, so you don't get any additional breaks beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

IIRC, upgrade eligibility is already moved up to the first of the month, so you don't get any additional breaks beyond that.

Fair enough, thakns!

Will just have to wait a little longer.

What happens if you buy out the upgrade? Do they reset it to the month in which you do that?