Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

haha holy poo poo. Don't do it! If you want to go to BMQ, you could always join the Reserves as a clerk or something. You still get the training, and then you have a pretty "regular" job.

If you go Reg Force, and tell anyone that you want to VR... Well, have fun with that.

Actually, when you do your express test, do between 4-19 pushups. Then you can go to Warrior Prep Company and get all the PT and discipline anyone could ever want. You won't even have to VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
huwhat

AKP fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 24, 2014

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

AKP posted:

What exactly is warrior prep company?

Fat/weak person camp. You have classes on nutrition/exercise science and lots and lots of physical training.

If that doesn't get you into a minimum amount of shape then they kick you out...I don't really know anyone who went through that program all that well so I do not know how long they give you to pass the expres test...once you are adequately fit they put you on platoon. From there it is actually an easier go from what I have seen since the staff give you a little time to ingratiate yourself into the platoon as being part of fat camp carries some stigma...

what son what
Nov 6, 2008

AKP posted:

I wasn't sure, thanks. I'm only interested for the disciplinary aspect.

Ignoring how impracticle the idea is, what exactly do you think you'd gain from doing basic training and then leaving?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
To be fair, I consider going through BMQ, SQ, and battle school one of the most beneficial things I've ever done, and learned a lot about myself and stuff.

But it's still a pretty retarded idea to join up just to get yelled at a whole bunch and then quit before it's over.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Not only that, but you'd be taking a slot away from someone who actually wants to be there and SERVE THE QUEEN and whatnot.

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
drake

AKP fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 24, 2014

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
aw bro

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well, you can do BMQ, SQ and be a musician for the next 3-5 years.
It probably pays better than what you're doing now too.
The only downside is, the grunts will chirp you pretty hard.

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/musician-83

e: I looked up the pay scale, and musicians get paid better than me, which is a bit of a pissoff haha.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

And there's the Reserves. Working one night a week, occasional weekends. The rest of the time in between that is all yours.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I had a neighbour in Ottawa who was a musician. He was living in the PMQs so it might vary musician to musician. You can't get into it unless you play a band instrument and I doubt a midi keyboard counts.

what son what
Nov 6, 2008

AKP posted:

I didn't mean to offend anyone with the plan I had in mind, but if I couldn't produce music consecutively for the next 3 - 5 years it would really sting me.

I don't think anyone took offence, it's just obvious from your posts that you put 0 effort into researching this plan.

I get that you want some discipline or whatever. From what I've seen, once people stop yelling at you, you will most likely just slip into your old habits again anyways.

Have you considered part-time business or music school? You could gain alot of self-discipline if you're motivated to do something like that. The information you would learn will be 100x more valuable to your future goals then learning how to fold underwear 4x4, about military DAODs or basic weapon handling (and the hours spent cleaning them).

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Don't join.

The military will not transform you. At most, it accentuates what's already there within you, both good and bad. No one can beat self-discipline into you, certainly not in this "New Army".

If you are a shitpump now, you will be a shitpump afterwards. You'll only be wearing a silly hat instead.

It should be made clear to the general populace that THE CF IS NOT A SOCIAL HELP PROGRAM.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Barrakketh posted:

THE CF IS NOT A SOCIAL HELP PROGRAM.

I like the saying " It is the Canadian Army not the Salvation Army"

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
:jerkbag: I'm sure nobody in the CF sees treats it as green welfare.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I have spent more times this year as a highly trained mailman (3 times being a duty driver) than I have times I have fired my rifle (0)

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Barrakketh posted:

Don't join.

The military will not transform you. At most, it accentuates what's already there within you, both good and bad. No one can beat self-discipline into you, certainly not in this "New Army".

If you are a shitpump now, you will be a shitpump afterwards. You'll only be wearing a silly hat instead.

It should be made clear to the general populace that THE CF IS NOT A SOCIAL HELP PROGRAM.
Chances are he wouldn't even make it through the application process.

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
:(

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

AKP posted:

What makes you say this? I'm physically fit, have no criminal record.. lol, I could join if I wanted to but it would affect my music career so I'm not going to.

It'd be pretty easy to tell that you don't actually want to be in the military.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

AKP posted:

What makes you say this? I'm physically fit, have no criminal record.. lol, I could join if I wanted to but it would affect my music career so I'm not going to.
Because the CF isn't some place you can walk in off the street and join. The application process is highly competitive. Meeting the basic requirements means gently caress all. Currently there are more applicants then they can handle.

Anyone can apply, not everyone is going to join.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

E.Nigma posted:

Because the CF isn't some place you can walk in off the street and join. The application process is highly competitive. Meeting the basic requirements means gently caress all. Currently there are more applicants then they can handle.

Anyone can apply, not everyone is going to join.

Wow, things must have changed pretty drastically since I joined in 2005. You wouldn't believe the inbred mutants I had on my course in St. Jean.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

acumen posted:

Wow, things must have changed pretty drastically since I joined in 2005. You wouldn't believe the inbred mutants I had on my course in St. Jean.

They're downsizing now. Not a wartime military anymore.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

They're downsizing now. Not a wartime military anymore.
The kicker is a lot of people were failing their occupational training in 2010-2011. Cooks were failing for gently caress sake So, now they've changed the entire recruiting phase to further weed out the retards.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

E.Nigma posted:

The kicker is a lot of people were failing their occupational training in 2010-2011. Cooks were failing for gently caress sake So, now they've changed the entire recruiting phase to further weed out the retards.

I've heard a lot of stories about that. I know a couple guys who went to Infantry School at about that time, and they said a lot of guys washed out. I love poo poo pump stories, so if anyone's got some good ones I'd like to hear them.

AKP posted:

As for "walking right in" to get my slot in a Reserve Artillery Regiment (which isn't that competitive compared to a lot of reg force trades), I had an application process that lasted from January to May. That included meeting with recruiters and officers at the regiment and at CFRC many times, the most extensive medical I've ever had, the CFAT, a physical and a background check that went pretty deep. There are weeks between each of these steps too. Out of over 100 applicants the regiment only took the top 4.

So even before you begin your training, someone along the chain will realize you're unmotivated and you'll be weeded out. Or, even if you aren't there's no guarantee that your trade will even be open when you finish because of the new recruiting process where recruiting starts April 1, but trades and courses fill by the early summer.

Oh, not to mention the new drug and alcohol policies.

If you were planning on just going for BMQ and SQ, what trade were you hoping to get into?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Frosted Flake posted:

I've heard a lot of stories about that. I know a couple guys who went to Infantry School at about that time, and they said a lot of guys washed out. I love poo poo pump stories, so if anyone's got some good ones I'd like to hear them.

As for "walking right in" to get my slot in a Reserve Artillery Regiment (which isn't that competitive compared to a lot of reg force trades), I had an application process that lasted from January to May. That included meeting with recruiters and officers at the regiment and at CFRC many times, the most extensive medical I've ever had, the CFAT, a physical and a background check that went pretty deep. There are weeks between each of these steps too. Out of over 100 applicants the regiment only took the top 4.

So even before you begin your training, someone along the chain will realize you're unmotivated and you'll be weeded out. Or, even if you aren't there's no guarantee that your trade will even be open when you finish because of the new recruiting process where recruiting starts April 1, but trades and courses fill by the early summer.

Oh, not to mention the new drug and alcohol policies.

If you were planning on just going for BMQ and SQ, what trade were you hoping to get into?

Related question: If I want to drop down to dirty reservists status upon completion of my Initial Engagement and stay on as a combat engineer (I'll be a Cpl by then, 50/50 chance of being 5's qualified), will it be no problem to go to the reserve unit back home in Ottawa? Would it make more sense to component transfer or to get out then get back in? I wouldn't mind staying in as a reservist while finishing my degree, but I've also been thinking that maybe the commissionaire route would be a better go.

And before I get asked, no loving way I'm going officer after school. Paperwork and I don't get along.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
Wow. I am really glad I got in when I did...I have heard that recruitment is getting more difficult now but I had no idea it was getting so damned competitive.

To contribute to the shitpump stories...our shitpump on basic was this little Korean guy named Lee. Lee was going to be an AVS tech. Lee had a university degree of some sort for math. Lee spoke maybe 1,000 words of English at the time he arrived at basic and probably understood half of that.

He was a clean hygenic guy with a good work ethic and a lot of heart. He always studied and did the homework that was assigned and got 100's on the multiple choice tests (I understand that is nothing seeing that most people at least got low 80s on those tests even the mouthbreathers)

My god though there were some things that poor kid just could not get right. Drill was one of them-I can not remember much in the way of specifics as other things about the guy were more memorable. Inspections were another- he just really struggled with little details even when he got massive help. He refused to shave his asian non beard even though he was told repeatedly that you at least need to smell like shaving cream and not have peach fuzz on your face while at basic.

So because of his refusal to shave they charge him...at week 6. At the charge parade he salutes a warrant officer calls the officer who runs the show (forget the title of it...presiding officer maybe?) by his rank and not sir and comes to attention on the wrong foot. This was a private summary trial as they were trying really hard to treat him with some dignity and I heard about this after the fact.

Another time he walked up to the staff table in the cafeteria...I have no idea how he got all the way there still wearing his beret...and salutes a Master corporal while said master corporal is sitting down eating...I think that the slow gathering look of indignation and disbelief on 20 odd junior and senior ncm's will stick with me for life as one of the funniest things I have ever seen go down.

Needless to say Lee did not make the cut. He got kicked off to a new platoon got kicked off of that one and got released shortly after...or reLEEsed as we called it by that point.

Despite it all I kinda miss Lee...I think he was a good guy that just was not suited for the CF...

Wherever you are Lee shine on you crazy diamond...shine on :unsmith:

Fake edit:

My personal shitpump story was calling out this Sgt when he kicked me for failing to do pushups. I called him a coward later in front of the platoon and somehow faced no ill consequences.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

Related question: If I want to drop down to dirty reservists status upon completion of my Initial Engagement and stay on as a combat engineer (I'll be a Cpl by then, 50/50 chance of being 5's qualified), will it be no problem to go to the reserve unit back home in Ottawa? Would it make more sense to component transfer or to get out then get back in? I wouldn't mind staying in as a reservist while finishing my degree, but I've also been thinking that maybe the commissionaire route would be a better go.

And before I get asked, no loving way I'm going officer after school. Paperwork and I don't get along.

I don't know if they changed the return of contribution policy since November, but I didn't go the reserve route and got a nice 10k payout and 15k in rrsps. I believe if you component transferred into the reserves all of that money transfers to the reserve retirement plan. The release clerk will definitely have more information. My dad was a commissionaire for all of 2 weeks before he quit because he decided that it wasn't worth the pay, just because it was so boring.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I do know that 33 CER was taking on a lot of guys this recruiting cycle.
I don't know the specifics of the process though, but it couldn't hurt to call the regiment. I saw some Class B listings, and a bunch of teenagers writing CFATs to get into the regiment but I don't know about anything more than that sorry.

e: You probably don't want to get out and back in. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about that. The problem is with the CF going down from wartime size, combined with the economy means that there are a lot more applicants than vacancies.

My best shitpump story is the teenager that wore a fedora to his final interview with the Captain during recruitment. He even had it cocked a bit to the side. He also spent the whole time in the waiting area talking about the M777 and other hardware poo poo. He was already planning what cool gear to put on his C8 (I'm pretty sure he called it an M4, I'm not 100% on that)... :ughh:

I hope these are the guys who aren't getting in.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 26, 2012

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

My best poo poo pump story is a dude who got boot polish on his forehead then tried to take it off with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Wound up with a 3rd degree chemical burn.

Frosted Flake posted:

My best shitpump story is the teenager that wore a fedora to his final interview with the Captain during recruitment. He even had it cocked a bit to the side. He also spent the whole time in the waiting area talking about the M777 and other hardware poo poo. He was already planning what cool gear to put on his C8 (I'm pretty sure he called it an M4, I'm not 100% on that)... :ughh:

I hope these are the guys who aren't getting in.

Please tell me you were recruited in Winnipeg around 2008.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My Spirit Otter posted:

My best poo poo pump story is a dude who got boot polish on his forehead then tried to take it off with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Wound up with a 3rd degree chemical burn.

Please tell me you were recruited in Winnipeg around 2008.

Ottawa 2011. You're telling me there's more than one of these guys?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Ottawa 2011. You're telling me there's more than one of these guys?

That's too bad, I was really hoping that was a guy in my old unit. Of course there is more than one of those guys. Every platoon/detachment/whatever the navy and air force have to have a really weird dude.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I went to my interview in my work clothes because I was doing drywalling to pay rent and couldn't afford to take time off. Went on my lunch break, but they were pretty sympathetic.

Frosted Flake posted:

I do know that 33 CER was taking on a lot of guys this recruiting cycle.
I don't know the specifics of the process though, but it couldn't hurt to call the regiment. I saw some Class B listings, and a bunch of teenagers writing CFATs to get into the regiment but I don't know about anything more than that sorry.

e: You probably don't want to get out and back in. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about that. The problem is with the CF going down from wartime size, combined with the economy means that there are a lot more applicants than vacancies.

Good to know, I just don't want to miss out on my return of contribution cash. I've saved up about half of what I need for school and that would pretty much make up the other half. Are you at 33? What size are you guys/how is it there?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm not at 33, sorry.

The only thing I really know about them is that they have guys with surveying (?) equipment and stakes and stuff practicing in some of the larger city parks almost every day. I don't know how big they are as a whole, but they usually have 15-20 guys out on these field trips. I walk by them on the way to work. It actually seems pretty ok.

I think you can just call them.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/33cer/contactus-contacteznous-eng.asp

The recruiting NCMs used to be Sgts. Wilson and Desmarais, but I don't know if they're still there. Hope that helps.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Thanks. Regardless I wont have to actually make any decision for another year any ways.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

I love poo poo pump stories

Nobody has shitpump stories like someone who's been on phase 3 infantry three times! :science:

Probably my favorite story (about a guy who was actually quite capable but just did something ridiculous) for telling non infantry types:

On Phase 3 infantry you used to do an eight day defensive field ex, including battle school. You just dig and dig for four days, then you get attacked, then you dig some more, then you get attacked, run away, dig some more, for four more days. You're not allowed to eat more than once a day, or sleep at all. Ridiculous things happen.

One guy in my section was digging away, then got called away to augment a clearance patrol. The clearance patrol was in the middle of the night for some reason, with a DS WO tagging along to get soaked with the candidates (this patrol takes place in a swamp, which is prime Tartan staging ground, as per).

After about forty-five minutes of trudging, one of the people in the patrol stops to put some space between the DS and the guy from my section. My section mate has no idea what's going on, and gets agitated because he's worried about getting lost.

"What the gently caress, man. Keep going!" My section-mate says.

"Dude, where's your rifle?" Says the other guy.

The guy from my section looks down, he is carrying a shovel.

They decide to continue with the patrol and say nothing. Nobody has noticed. His rifle was half buried in spoilage at the back of his trench.

There is also a video that is shown to classes as part of the current phase 3 serials. In that video I am standing in a trench with my hand on the pistol grip of a C6. I fall asleep and smash my face off the back of the C6, twice.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

There is also a video that is shown to classes as part of the current phase 3 serials. In that video I am standing in a trench with my hand on the pistol grip of a C6. I fall asleep and smash my face off the back of the C6, twice.

In SQ, I used to put the lip of my helmet on the sight for the C9, so it actually looked like I was doing something, then take a quick nap to make up for the lack of sleep. It was going fine until I wake up to my MBdr walking away with it. When I came to he asked my why I didn't stop him and I told him something along the lines of "You told us not to question you"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

In SQ, I used to put the lip of my helmet on the sight for the C9, so it actually looked like I was doing something, then take a quick nap to make up for the lack of sleep. It was going fine until I wake up to my MBdr walking away with it. When I came to he asked my why I didn't stop him and I told him something along the lines of "You told us not to question you"

Yeah that's like the oldest trick in the book. I'm a big proponent of making sure the staff see that you're absolutely killing yourself by trying, to the point of literally falling asleep on a march. You get less flak for falling asleep during orders or while in an ORV that way.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

Yeah that's like the oldest trick in the book. I'm a big proponent of making sure the staff see that you're absolutely killing yourself by trying, to the point of literally falling asleep on a march. You get less flak for falling asleep during orders or while in an ORV that way.

The only times I found it hard to stay awake where when we were doing nothing but sitting in the trenches waiting for something to happen.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Attire Irony posted:

23-27?
I'll be there, too. Small internet!

Hey man, shoot me a message when you get a chance. If you remember my first name, its just that @gmail.com. If not, let me know and I'll post it. I was in a bit of a lovely mood and a rush (my train left at 1300) when I left so I didn't really exchange any contact info with anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Desi posted:

Hey man, shoot me a message when you get a chance. If you remember my first name, its just that @gmail.com. If not, let me know and I'll post it. I was in a bit of a lovely mood and a rush (my train left at 1300) when I left so I didn't really exchange any contact info with anyone.

Did you pass?