Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

I've always been weirded out by steel tanks, but there's a camera shop by my house that has a bunch of used ones that I've been eyeing.

If you see a metal Nikor spiral 4x5 tank, remember: whatever you do, don't use it. It belongs to me. Buy it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well my initial check didn't reveal any obvious brand names I'd recognize. They were mostly just big steel tanks that looked the same. But I'll get some pics next time I go :)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
If Omega's what the shop's got for stainless gear, make sure they have a liberal return policy if you buy anything. OmegaSatter's quality control on their lower-end Chinese lines is atrocious.

Poorly-sealing tanks, reels out of round, reels that aren't parallel, solder balls in the film path, film clips either completely soldered to the core or soldered on backward... so, so bad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Confirmed that Velvia's pretty much dead :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

at least we'll not always have 35mm and 120

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

That's not really anything new though, is it? Just looks like someone's blog speculating the same as what we saw yesterday, but no official word.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, that post has been up since yesterday, it's just citing the BJP report from the UK.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a big spreadsheet-y list of film makers and all the products they make?

If not that seems like it might be a cool project to do. Just to show people what's available at a glance.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I couldn't find any ISO/ASA200 film for my PEN-EES but the store did have some Kodak Ultramax 400 so I grabbed that to feed to my Pentax Super ME. Would bad things happen if I shoved a roll of ultramax in my PEN-EES which has a light meter that tops out at ASA200 or would I just waste a roll of film?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

I couldn't find any ISO/ASA200 film for my PEN-EES but the store did have some Kodak Ultramax 400 so I grabbed that to feed to my Pentax Super ME. Would bad things happen if I shoved a roll of ultramax in my PEN-EES which has a light meter that tops out at ASA200 or would I just waste a roll of film?

You'd probably get some slightly dense and extra saturated pictures.
Most negative film still gives decent pictures even when exposure is off by one stop.

Next time, grab some Portra 160.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Think it through. The meter maxes out at ISO 200, your film is ISO 400. Thus, you're talking about a one-stop overexposure, plus any exposure error. Should be within the capabilities of negative film.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

They're still making velvia 100 in all sizes, and that's the better velvia imo

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Isn't consumer film pretty much expected to be run through fixed-exposure point and shoots anyway? If one stop made any difference at all that'd put it right out.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I once shot a roll of 200 film at 100 by accident. I then put a roll of 200 in and re-shot as many of the photos as I could. When it was all said and done, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Think it through. The meter maxes out at ISO 200, your film is ISO 400. Thus, you're talking about a one-stop overexposure, plus any exposure error. Should be within the capabilities of negative film.

That's true. I've just never done any shooting with C41 before.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Miso Beno posted:

That's true. I've just never done any shooting with C41 before.

No problem, I'm just trying to walk you through the thought process so you can answer questions like that on your own. If you're new and want to learn more about the technical side of how this stuff works, I cannot encourage you to read Ansel Adams' The Negative strongly enough. It's literally the only photo book I've paid money for and it was worth every cent.

widunder
May 2, 2002

nemoulette posted:

drat it, got burned on the Zorki 4K. Fantastic camera to play around with... However, the shutter curtains are dragging terribly at anything slower than 1/125, so I'll have to ask for a refund and hope for a better one next time. :smith:
The seller isn't back in the country until mid-August... Does anyone know if this is an easy fix? The right curtain dragging seems to the issue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it just tensioning maybe? I think rangefinder forums have a sticky about doing shutter tensioning on fed/zorkis in the FSU subforum.

God I've practically lived at RFF over the past three weeks, I just realized. Pretty psyched about my Zorki and FED :3:

widunder
May 2, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Is it just tensioning maybe? I think rangefinder forums have a sticky about doing shutter tensioning on fed/zorkis in the FSU subforum.

God I've practically lived at RFF over the past three weeks, I just realized. Pretty psyched about my Zorki and FED :3:
I'll look around, thanks!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Quick breakaway from the camera-chat.

I found out yesterday that the "DigitalTruth" massive dev chart contains some very large and possibly disastrous errors. I was using their app for what it's worth.
I was developing Delta 400 in X-tol 1+1, which the chart pegs at 11:30 mins, but Ilford's own packaging (which I luckily also checked out) out states 8:30 minutes for the same dilution and temperature. Unless they changed their formulation quite recently I find this 3minute discrepancy to be worrisome at best.

I developed it at Ilford's specified 8:30 and it had very good overall density. Any thoughts on this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've only ever used their app for Ilfosol 3 and HC-110 and my results were favourable, but I don't doubt that there could be big errors in there. I think they have a forum where you could bring it up.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

I found out yesterday that the "DigitalTruth" massive dev chart contains some very large and possibly disastrous errors. I was using their app for what it's worth.
I was developing Delta 400 in X-tol 1+1, which the chart pegs at 11:30 mins, but Ilford's own packaging (which I luckily also checked out) out states 8:30 minutes for the same dilution and temperature. Unless they changed their formulation quite recently I find this 3minute discrepancy to be worrisome at best.

I developed it at Ilford's specified 8:30 and it had very good overall density. Any thoughts on this?

Digitaltruth's development chart is user submitted so someone somewhere likes that time for xtol.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There are many variables like water temperature, water quality and agitation intensity that go into development times. Ilford's times are probably a "cover our butts" average.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

VomitOnLino posted:

The Massive Dev Chart is a helpful tool but by no means the end-all, be-all.

Actually, I take that back: the Massive Dev Chart was once a helpful tool, but you've discovered one of its biggest shortcomings as time has marched on. The entries are neither dated nor well curated. If an entry ever existed in the table, it's still in the table, you have no idea when the hell it's from, and the majority lack notes.

Ilford did reformulate their emulsions—almost ten years ago. If you look up any Ilford film (XP obviously excluded), you'll get way old Ilford box times, "modern" (ten year old) Ilford box times, and a slew of user times for one emulsion or the other, generally with no indication what's what. There are other brand films that have been reformulated more often and the chart may as well just list zero to infinity minutes.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 23, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm trying to read The Negative and it's seriously the most dry book I've read in a while. My ADD is making it borderline unreadable :(

I just want to know things :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Spot meter a shadow, spot meter a highlight, note the number of stops difference.
Subtract two stops from the shadow reading, use that for your exposure.
If the highlights are more than four stops higher than the shadows, develop 1/3 less time for each stop you need to pull it down.
If the highlights are less than four stops higher than the shadows, develop 1/3 more time for each stop you need to push it up.

Voila, you've just read The Negative and have learned the Ansel Adams' Patented Zone System.

But in a real-world scenario, especially in a roll film scenario, I usually meter where I want zone III to be (shadows with detail), drop that reading two stops, expose, and develop as normal. Negative film has a good deal of latitude when it comes to developing and scanning, so it hasn't incredibly failed me yet.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Acros 100 in 120 expired in '08 kept in a 'dark cool room' (read: unrefrigerated): good deal at $2/roll in bulk?

I have a decent stockpile already, and fresh rebranded Fomapan 100 from Freestyle is only like $3/roll after shipping.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone here with a FED-2 with a mushroom-cap style film advance knob? I'm trying to disassemble mine but I can't tell exactly where the grub screw should be in the hole. Is it embedded deep in the knob or is it right at the entrance to the screw hole?

I can't really find any evidence that there is even a screw in there and I'm starting to suspect that the last person to disassemble this camera just epoxied the knob on or something :ughh:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
On my FED-2 the grub screw is recessed about 1mm in the screw hole, definitely not flush with the side of the winder.

widunder
May 2, 2002
It being as light as it is, I decided to run a roll of Ultramax through the Zorki anyway. In some pictures, there's a bit of what I thought was a light leak but doesn't seem to look like regular ones, and, besides, it only showed in some. Any ideas?

Fine:

Wonky:

(If I decide to keep it / fix the curtain problem I mentioned previously, I almost want it to be fixable by tape because a blacked up rangefinder would be awesome).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spedman posted:

On my FED-2 the grub screw is recessed about 1mm in the screw hole, definitely not flush with the side of the winder.

Ugh. I rather suspect that the last person to own my camera just up and glued the film advance knob onto the shaft. I don't see any evidence of a grub screw at all :(

Oh well. I was hoping to disassemble the whole kit to clean the RF window, but I will probably just settle for an RF adjustment.

Thanks for the info!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheLastManStanding posted:

:hfive: Pen buddies

The best thing to do is take it everywhere and shoot everything. When you have 72 frames to go though it takes forever to get a roll done. For scanning the epson v600 is the best value ($160) and the v700 or v750 ($500/$700) are the more serious options.

I just wanted to circle back and say holy crap 72 frames takes FOREVER to shoot. After I upgrade DSLR bodies I'll snag an Epson v600.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Miso Beno posted:

I just wanted to circle back and say holy crap 72 frames takes FOREVER to shoot. After I upgrade DSLR bodies I'll snag an Epson v600.

I actually consider this an advantage of medium format. 10, 12, or 15 shots a roll means you get to see your pics sooner without individually handling every shot like large format.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Acros 100 in 120 expired in '08 kept in a 'dark cool room' (read: unrefrigerated): good deal at $2/roll in bulk?

I have a decent stockpile already, and fresh rebranded Fomapan 100 from Freestyle is only like $3/roll after shipping.

First, Fomapan is poo poo, don't use it. Second, you can get fresh Acros for $3.20 per roll from Adorama. Is it worth it? You decide.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually consider this an advantage of medium format. 10, 12, or 15 shots a roll means you get to see your pics sooner without individually handling every shot like large format.

Since I have started shooting medium format, I can't stand 36 exposure rolls of 35mm anymore. It takes forever to finish one.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I don't know if I should post this in the film thread or the general thread, but it seems to be more film camera and manual focus related, so there.

I was curious how exactly split prism and microprism focusing screens work, took me a while of googling around but I managed to get this extensive paper on it. Maybe someone else will find it interesting, too:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/266790/Pr...-Reflex-Cameras

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Paul MaudDib posted:

First, Fomapan is poo poo, don't use it.

I must admit to rather liking Fomapan 400 and 100 in 4x5 with some Rodinal, and the 400 in 35mm for pushing the poo poo out of to 3200 also in Rodinal. It makes shooting a bit less pricey too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Since I have started shooting medium format, I can't stand 36 exposure rolls of 35mm anymore. It takes forever to finish one.

This is also seriously why I am contemplating getting a bulk film loader and a dozen cans. Ten or twelve shot rolls. In and out of the tank ASAP. I know I'll be wasting some film .. well, probably a LOT of film .. but I shoot so infrequently these days that to be frank it would probably still take me a year to go through a bulk roll.

The second I can find an AP loader secondhand for under $50 I am going to hop to bulk loading. I don't like the Watson ones. They seem to waste more film than even I'm comfortable with.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I just picked up two rolls of 120 Ilford 100 ASA that I'm really excited about. I've been shooting the Red digital camera all semester at school and I need some god drat film in my life again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I was recently on vacation and my grandpa gave me his old camera setup:

A Canon FTb, 50mm lens, 28mm lens, 2 135mm lenses, a 85-205mm lens and a set of filters.

I've been wanting to get started on film photography, and this setup gives me the opportunity I've been waiting for. I've never shot film before, and was wondering what kinds of film would be good to start on? There's a place near where I live that develops all types of film, so development isn't an issue with color or anything. Also, any equipment I might need; I have a tripod, but it's a little too bulky for me to carry around.